Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Xenoblade is the best rpg game I've ever played - but I really do hate any quest involving a monster that only comes out in certain weather (especially that one in Eryth Sea that took ages to get shooting stars going).

Really hoping that the not sequel isn't going to suck balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

WickedHate posted:

Speaking of Final Fantasy gripes, it's weird how at the start of IV the Red Wings are angsting about what they've done as if they were forced into a bad position, but in the flashback they're like "Dare to defy us!? *kills the innocent white mage*".

You usually have to do something bad before you can regret it.

The Bee posted:

You say this like FF8 doesn't have literal goddamn hockey players as enemies.

Every-game tends to have a really weird/goofy enemy. Lightning Returns had a Cactair (a cactuar with an afro that spends its first few actions trying to get his needles to poke a hole in it so he can hurt you).

One of my favorites though is the Tonberry Chefs in Crystal Chronicles.
Speaking of that game though, there is no way to effectively level up new characters alone if you decide to create them after you've reached a certain point in the game where all enemies become gently caress you strong. I spent 20 minutes fighting the first boss with a new Yuke and he had a loving sliver of health left and loving thundaga.

What makes this bad is that each character you make gets a trade - and that trade advances by doing levels.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Someone conflicted about their actions usually wouldn't just blurt out "DARE TO DEFY US?!" and kill someone without much provocation.

Well, if it happened before the guilt train hit - then yeah, they probably would. Especially if its a Jrpg where everyone is just pmsing all the time.

For a little thing FF4 related, this rear end in a top hat ->
They pretty much cast this really damaging whole party fire attack, and in a certain dungeon, they start showing up in groups - where they'll start casting it right after each other which can wipe your entire party.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Alteisen posted:

I wish those games had some sort of trigger that would alter dialogue a bit as you played on, its really stupid how you're the great hero, you kill all the big-bads and some people still treat like some lowly commoner.

They do. In Oblivion in anyways, all the responses are pooled together in a table - and each npc will go about and check things like their race, id, quest stages, and stuff. People even make comments on your stats and what have you.

Frankly, I think the main problem with that kind of stuff is that their trying to be somewhat dynamic with the dialogue but there pretty much anchored down by voice acting stuff.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Alteisen posted:

So I took advantage of the sale they had for Paper Mario Sticker Star.

I'm not absolutely hating it, but I can I wonder why they went this route with this particular franchise.

Generally the Paper Mario games had very creative writing, unique areas and such, this one though is just a by the numbers Mario game stage wise, plains, desert, forest, water, winter, etc, the combat is limited by its sticker system since you feel like hoarding them for bosses, on top of that combat is largely pointless as you don't get exp anymore, just coins, lots and lots of coins, I have 600 coins at the end of 1-5 which seems like a shitload, course the game has a money sink in the form of slots you can use to be able to use more than one sticker, said slots are required for certain bosses as you can't hurt them unless you do 2 moves in one turn.

What little writing there is seems Paper Mario esque at least.

I can see why the game was so poorly received though, its a serious 180 from the previous titles.

As a heads up - you need certain thing stickers to do any real damage to a boss, if you don't have 'em you'll run out of stickers and when that happens your totally hosed. Also the game is pretty much doing the same thing every-other Mario game is doing, by being unoriginal with its level stuff, grassland,desert,poison forest with the ocean thrown in, etc.

They've gone from really interesting and standout chapters like the murder mystery in 2 for stuff we've seen a thousand times over thanks to the NSMB stuff.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ryoshi posted:

The save system in Bioshock: Infinite is stupid as hell and doesn't deserve to be in a game that otherwise exudes polish.

Sticker Star is just not a very good game at all. By getting rid of experience, the only thing you get from battles is coins. The only things you use coins on are tough enemies/bossfights and stickers. You don't need to buy more stickers if you don't get into battles in the first place, and you really don't need coins badly enough to make fighting any trash mobs worth it. They removed a crucial part of the risk-reward equation that makes games fun and did nothing at all to try to mitigate it.

Once you reach the snow level, enemies literally bleed coins. The only thing coins are good for is to save you on back-tracking Things.
I also really like you can't choose targets. Especially during the final fight.
Also, as a late game thing Bowser's castle sucks balls.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Miyamoto seems to get a lot of flack for making the most recent Paper Mario bland and featureless. Had he any real input in the previous titles?

Miyamoto strategy right now seems to be - recycle everything.
I get that old games have been getting a fair amount of attention what with the virtual console and other things and maybe he's just trying to recreate that - but its not working. I couldn't bring myself to play and of the NSMB's after the Wii one.

New Super Mario World though seems to be a good direction though (even if its just adding a new power up or whatever).

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

FredMSloniker posted:

As in he thinks stories are bad, i.e. 'Mario is about jumping on things, and you shouldn't ask why'?

That would be a fair argument if he didn't decide to that to a genre that usually depends on story telling and world building.
Paper Mario didn't have a lot of world building going on, but it had a lot of personality to the towns and some characters actually had some interesting back story and stuff (or at least enough for kid me anyways).

I liked the Boo Mansion the best. :3:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

To be fair the unskippable, non-voice-acted 10-minute opening to Super Mario Galaxy was pretty bad.

Everyone that's Mario or Peach you couldn't really care less about because they're boring.
Luigi on the other hand has an actual personality.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Also, now that I think about it, I do feel that Oblivion had more memorable quests. In my opinion Skyrim's quests were better overall but Oblivion had a handful of some standout great ones, like the "And Then There Were None" murder mansion or the one where you travel inside a painting. I'm having a hard time thinking of Skyrim missions that really stand out in my mind like that.

While I still never got too finish the game, due to laptop heating issues and having to keep it on low-very low quality to compensate, Vanilla Oblivion isn't really as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Granted the voice acting and faces are pretty bad - but I still had fun with my short time with it and some of the quests that really tried to think out of the box like the one where you go into somebodies dreams and what not or the one where you go in a painting world.

I really wish though that it was less-generic landscape wise. It just doesn't work well for me. The Oblivion worlds were great though, it was like Doom and Hexen poo poo. Shivering Isles on the other hand is worlds more interesting and I really wish more game developers would be more inventive in their fantasy worlds instead of just playing it safe and relying on the same European-Tolkien format.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Sociopastry posted:

Content: the current trend in games where it sends like game designers are more concerned with making their games pretty than actually making it fun or engaging to play. I'm not saying I don't like beautiful games- I do. I'm mostly just tired of games that are more about "look what we can do with the graphics engine! " than actual fun.

This is pretty much what Xenoblade didn't do that allowed them to cram so much poo poo into a game on the Wii of all consoles.

edit:
Graphic quality has always been a competition among consoles and games and the like. Games today want to be playable live-action films these days, and maybe that was the goal along or something idk. All I know is that games start to lose visual identity after awhile, most human characters in games all look like they could be from the same game.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Aug 7, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Morpheus posted:

Except that Xenoblade somehow ended up having some of the best graphics on the Wii, with a remarkable draw distance to boot. No idea what the developers needed to do to pull as much power from that as they did.

I think a big part is that it didn't really have any fancy lighting effects, they pretty much stuck to basic effects - you've got sunrise to nightfall shading, and the rest is really glowy textures and stuff. And really that's all you need in my book. I really could do without super fancy lighting/effects if its going to make the game lag like crazy.

I'm looking at you Desert Sahagin from Lighting the game, starring Lighting.
He pretty much lags the game tremendously every-time he does a sand based attack.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Anatharon posted:

Fallout 3 and New Vegas' gameplay drag them down. 1 and 2 weren't great but at least they had less travel time.

What's the deal with that?

The combat in 1 + 2 did get old pretty fast though. Especially if you decided to start some poo poo in a town.
Now everyone and their grandma has to take a turn moving several feet away from the conflict going on.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

That leaves a lot of very unpopular mythologies that nobody knows anything about. Everyone knows Zeus. Not many people know quetzalcoatl.

I summoned that dude in Dawn of Sorrow a lot, and deities tend to show up in RPG's all the time.
And then sometimes they ask you for a gun, you'll give them one, and then they run off. Asses.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I could never do the quest where you had to kill Cass in NV.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The Thieves Guild Questline was the only guild questline I actually completed (besides the Arena but that's not really an actual guild). Mages Guild took forever to get into, and when I did finally get in I was so sick of it that I could careless about the necromancers so I pretty much stopped doing them, Fighters Guild did not leave a good first impression on me either.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ryoshi posted:

This applies to the randomized quests, too - pick up that book you found in a random dungeon? Well, now you've got a quest to give it to someone, but they won't take it because you need to pick it up from the dungeon to advance the quest tracker, and it's not in the dungeon anymore.

I love Bethesda games, but what in the everlasting gently caress. That is like, the first scenario that would be worth testing in a randomized quest system like that. I have no idea if it's fixed now but I originally played it like half a year after it was released and the problem persisted.

They usually do have that under control. At least for "quest items". Now responses on the other hand...ugh.
There's a big one (for me at least) with Raul in NV, his quest will become impossible to finish if you learn the Ranger Takedown without him there with you. Really don't want to talk about how much I had to replay to fix that.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
None of the games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, etc. never really had good combat.
Sure you have a bunch of spells and bullets and stuff, but you really always use them in the same exact fashion,
you have little means of straying from the general methods of run and gun, or hit, block, circle.

Oblivion is really bad about blocking. Not for you of course, because blocking will save your rear end because it reduces damage and it links to the Endurance bonus you get when you level up which is an absolute must. Npcs that block are a problem because you will most likely get stunned for 1-2 seconds every second and it really makes the combat seem a lot less - fun.

Also does anyone ever use the dodge roll - I really haven't found any reason to use it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Thoughtless posted:

Every source engine game: Crouchjumping. Why is this a thing that needs to exist? Can't the jump just be high enough without needing me to press an extra button, which doesn't take any extra "skill" anyway? It doesn't even make any sense, do you pull your legs into your torso to jump onto higher surfaces?

edit: Black Mesa Source was especially hideous about this with pixel-perfect crouchjumps required.

In Mirror's Edge, you did that to pull your legs in to prevent them from hitting things. You weren't jumping higher, you were sort of curling up in a ball to get over things that would normally clip your legs.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The best parts in Castlevania 3 are the parts where you have to climb up a long rear end stair case while being dog-piled by winged skeletons as bone pillars are shooting off at the same time. Good times.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I got lost forever because I missed a drawer that could be examined - the reason being the table it was attached too could also be examined. I button mashed around the thing for awhile and left thinking there was nothing important there.

After that I got to meet a new enemy type who has likes to rush you, and cause Heather to lie down and contemplate her life choices when they hit her. They also tend to appear in groups of 3-4. In narrow hallways.

Also, I hate pitfalls in Silent Hill 3. Scariest enemies in the whole drat game so far.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Getting emeralds in Sonic 4 sucks.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In, Nier:
Yes, Aerie Shades keep telling me I'm the bad person as you keep attacking me non-stop. I sure do feel really monstrous about defending myself.

Also, farming.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Mokinokaro posted:

Hey You started it. Those first prologue shades don't attack you at all.

The only shade I've ever felt bad about - was the library one. And the one in Nier's village. Because neither attack you, and in both cases you have to attack. The study shade has a shield only you can break (and a fuckton of health), the village shade can only be attacked by you, because the other two guys wait outside.

And I guess the one with the robot because he didn't really do poo poo.

If the Aerie shades didn't over react to Nier's ethnic-cleansing ramblings and didn't start the whole brawl - the Aerie would still be there and I could still get Eagle eggs for my spear.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Kimmalah posted:

There's an entire area that will be full of live prospectors if you clear out the raiders that have taken it over and give it time to respawn. Otherwise I think they're mostly a random encounter/treasure horde if you find them dead.

The Shrouded Armor you get for joining the Dark Brotherhood is pretty good and has some nice enchantments. But after playing my last character in nothing but 0 armor rating robes all the time, I've found armor actually isn't that big a deal most of the time in Oblivion. Weapons more so, but you can find plenty of good weapons that don't have an infamy check.

Didn't really know about the infamy thing - since I never played the DLC because my laptop takes it like a bitch.
Seems kind of dumb to make a dlc you have to pay for be something related to your personal playing style.

Likewise there's a quest in Shivering Isles that Khajiits can't do, the reward is pretty much the only pet in the game which is somewhat unique.

It will also die in one hit, and can't be ordered without the use of mods. There appears to have been some command spells planned for it but they were never finished for some reason despite it being one of the easiest things to do with the Construction Set.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Whatev posted:

The little level up bonus stat spin thing from the Mario & Luigi games must be legit torture for motherfuckers with OCD.

When I was playing it years ago - it kind of did whenever I got a +1 or whatever, but you can always raise your stats by farming coffee.
Also, the chances of getting +1's and other low numbers increases if you keep picking a certain stat when you level up, its actually a decent way of preventing players from only leveling up the same stat over and over.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RareAcumen posted:

I actually enjoyed the first one the most and wish it hadn't felt like it ended way too soon. Bros. attacks were way cooler than buying items for attacks with B. Mario & Luigi.

I'm still waiting for the day that Nintendo lets you either fast-forward or skip through the openings of their games so I can move on and not suffer through fifteen minutes of 'And this is how you juuuump! Go on, try jumping on that box. YAYYYYYYYYY you did it! Now try again with two boxes!" and just moving through and letting play the game at my own pace.

I think the first one was the best too. One of the best things about it is that your not in the mushroom kingdom for once.
One thing that I wasn't too big on though is that it got kind of cluttered with all the field moves and stuff.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Szurumbur posted:

Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns - yes, Hope, I know escaping makes an hour pass, thanks for reminding me again and again, I couldn't glance it from the clock and my memory is heavily impaired.

Also I understand that it's a part of time management system, but not being able to stock up on Potions and only being able to buy them as the inventory slots become free is a hassle. Just have adding the potions from the stock use up time or EP or something, there aren't even stores everywhere.

And while I'm at it, it took me a fair amount of time to realize that the combat is actually turn based and is a version of a traditional ATB combat, not real time - which might be obvious in retrospect, but I treated it more like the latter and were constantly annoyed at its limitations.

Also a little thing: I know very little of corporate and trademark law, but was it really necessary to write the title with TM and © signs? It looks exceptionally silly.

My biggest beef about Lightning Returns, is the lack of a party system. I never played the first one - only the second and well, and their isn't really much to get invested story-wise in with Lightning here. At least with a party, you'd have people sort of bouncing off each other and interacting and sort of getting you drawn in a bit more but Lightning is just cold and brooding most of the time and just generally kind of boring.

Also, still think the NG+ thing where you unlock upgrading weapon customization is dumb and should have been in the game the whole time.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I had a giant Radscorpion spawn on that bridge town in FO3, naturally, I was pinned for it somehow and the vampire dude living nearby got pissed at me.
Also had a ram kill Marcus, had to replay three hours to bring him back to life because gently caress I wanted to get the happy endings for some reason.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I lost the escape countdown the first time because the lag kept messing up my screw attacks.
Also, in Pikmin 3, I lost 20 pikmmin because they have some pretty bad path-finding and ended up getting stuck behind a wall and said "gently caress it" and un-squaded themselves when the day ended.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Tingle isn't in Hyrule Warriors. :saddowns:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Judge Tesla posted:

I got a laugh when "Hyrule Captain has captured Southern Fort" popped up once, the nameless Soldiers did better than the named officers, for a change.

Not ten seconds after fixing a bridge:
Engineer has defeated Dark nut.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Thoughtless posted:

I feel like the train rides were worse, at least the sailing had this meditative quality you could kinda just zone out and relax in. The train on the other hand was just an unnecessary chore.

Blowing into the DS to use the the fan got old fast.
Also, 1-hit kill trains.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nostradingus posted:

There's so much customization in Smash 3DS that I feel totally overwhelmed and I don't even want to mess with it for the majority of the characters. I go into the customization screen and then my eyes glaze over and I just go back to playing Smash Run with the default characters.

Smash Run in general feels pretty rushed imo. No difficulty settings, match options, or really anything else besides music.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Cleretic posted:

I think the variety is supposed to come from it being so customizable. Even just playing the same character, you're gonna approach it differently if you spec for speed vs. raw attack power.

Don't spec for defense, though. Especially if you're like me and try to make characters better at their initial strengths, so you just end up with a Bowser that can barely move and gets hit so often his extra defense doesn't matter.

I just straight up buff attack all the way. Figure defense doesn't matter if you can kill the guys faster and actually know how to dodge, kind of tricky with some of the really big guys though because they'll gently caress you up.

Then its a matter of hoping it doesn't turn out to be a standard time match because CPU's are major kill stealers.
Also kind of sucks you can't use custom characters for all-stars mode.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

ninjahedgehog posted:

This is a Thing Dragging Many Games Down. It was truly baffling in Nier, where you ran way faster than your NPC companions, so the solution was to have them literally teleport every twenty steps or so. Not subtly, either, there's a big loving flash of light and all of a sudden they're next to you again. Like, who the gently caress at Cavia decided that just appearing next to you was too immersion-breaking, but didn't listen to the guy who said "Uh, hey, boss, I think I've got a idea to avoid this problem before it even starts..."

Kaine can not climb ladders. If you find a ladder, she will run head long into it. Emil on the other hand will slowly levitate up because he's the man.
Speaking of ladders, I wish getting into Junk Heap didn't involve one - or you know, if there were more than one weapon forging place or if said forging place was Boar accessible.

The flower seed quest made me quit Nier (for now anyways).

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Szurumbur posted:

Also the Ultimate Blockhead - I envy those who defeated him without cheating and making a photo or something, even using such a method I had a hard time.

I'm pretty sure I didn't get the best score to unlock a certain costume because of this rear end in a top hat.
I just said "gently caress it" and left him.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
If you game over in Smash Bros. it lowers your difficulty.
I was okay with the hand holding in 3D world because you could choose, but here its more of a penalty along with losing coin/score.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

LoonShia posted:

An AC game set in Ancient Egypt would have been dope also.

An AC game where you have to assassinate the dinosaurs to extinction.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RyokoTK posted:

I really super enjoyed the game Hyrule Warriors, but there's some unlockables you have to play levels twice to get and that sounds like a lot of busywork to me, even though I enjoyed those levels the first time, so I didn't do it.

They want you to replay most levels two-three times to get everything.

Ditto for the adventure map stages which you'll probably spend the most time in trying to get the better weapons unlocked, you also have to replay stages to unlock items that will let you get said rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I really like how the Imprisoned in Hyrule Warriors is just as fun to fight as the actual one in Skyward Sword.