Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It's also possible to place it far too late, thus sort of wrecking the flow of the last act. I haven't seen a game that makes this mistake, but I'm sure it exists.
Jedi Outcast. You're about to board the big evil dude's capital spaceship to stop him before he destroys... whatever it is he wants to do! You fight swarms of dark Jedi side-by-side with Luke Skywalker himself! You get ready to storm the craft...

And spend an hour sneaking through the clunkiest and most frustrating stealth section this side of Ocarina of Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like the new Wolfenstein takes itself way too seriously for its own good. On one hand, it should be a fun pulpy adventure with space Nazis and robot dogs and evil brain monsters, on the other, the main character gruffly reminisces about the horrors of Auschwitz, watches Nazis snatch babies and throw them off bridges or whatever, and has to watch his friends being tortured to death. Stop this

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is annoying, awful characters called Luka just a game-dragging-down running joke for Platinum?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Dubstep gun with explosive wubs. That is literally all I need.
Pity it forces you to use a couple of lovely weapons you probably never upgraded, then

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Far Cry 1 - the original, dunno about the weird Xbox spinoffs - was a great game up until the annoying supermutant poo poo. Would've been better with quicksave, definitely, but it's a fine FPS.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

10 Beers posted:

I've never played this game, but that DOES sound like something an evil demonic entity named The Lord of Bones would do.

Maybe he was ribbing you !!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Sanguinis and Azura don't seem that bad.
Azura tricked some random dude into thinking he was a prophesied hero so he would perform quadruple deitycide and indirectly destroy an entire province and culture. She just likes her revenge served a bit colder than most.

Also the Daedra quests were hilarious because of the inability to change your mind (other than walking away and leaving the quest in your quest log unfinished, but that's "you can turn Spec Ops off if you want to not use white phosphorus" level poo poo). I go into a haunted house with a paladin dude to cleanse an evil presence, and at no point between this and beating an imprisoned old man to death with a blunt object does my character get the opportunity to say anything other than "yes, that is what I want to do, good poo poo"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I dunno if it was just me but the DR also felt like it was somehow a worse port with worse graphics than the original (on PC). This should not be the case.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is Valdis Story the one where you have to fill combat skill slots with boring but necessary traversal skills

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Smash Bros 3DS is loving amazing, except for the fact that there's no online Smash Run. I was really looking forward to that, and it never occurred to me that it wouldn't be online just because it seems like such a natural pick for online play.
Wait what? Is it only local? That's loving idiotic + a real let-down. Good job Nintendo.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ultimate Blockhead was a pain back in the day. When I replayed recently I just took a video of him :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That was in the first game too. And considering the first game was about methodically murdering Christians and ended saying that all religions were a lie because aliens it's pretty understandable.
To be fair, at the end you discover that the Christians were mostly pretty good guys and it was the Muslims who were secretly headed by evil cackling villains and tricking you all along, and you help the Crusaders right the wrongs you perpetrated, so it's mostly wholesome overall

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Based on your previous posts, I'm fairly sure that you've never actually played a game like this, and are just speculating based on pure nothing.

I, on the other hand, freaking love Star Control 2. The plot moving without the player (at a reasonable pace) is fantastic.
Wizardry 7 has other adventuring parties with their own agenda and it was awesome, I'd love to see more open RPGs have similar things. I got to the end of a long, difficult dungeon to find that a rival party - who I'd developed an absolute hatred for at this point, they killed a nice guy that I liked - had already taken the MacGuffin from the chest at the end, having got there just ahead of me. Returning to the exit, I managed to cut them off and kill them, finally taking the treasure. It owned.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Every time I try to play Star Control 2 I aimlessly bob around Sol getting shouted at by aliens and then I try to leave and get attacked by different angry aliens and then I have to play the combat and I don't understand the combat and get killed by what seems to be an overwhelming foe immediately. I do not understand Star Control 2

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly, all I knew about the Malik ambush ahead of time was that it was really hard. When it came around, I just went with my established playstyle - jogged merrily up to the apparently sensory-deprived mooks and stunning them as quickly and efficiently as possible, then tranq'd the further away ones and EMP'd the robot. It seemed the thing to do, because the far away ones were far away and the robot was a robot. I had no trouble at all :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fifteen of Many posted:

I haven't played DS2 yet, but would you guys say there are comparable "bad bosses" in demon's or ds1?
Every Souls game has some garbage bosses, it's not really a big deal. Dark Souls 2 has more bosses than either other game, so it has some shittier ones, but also some really good ones.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

That little thing dragging Dark Souls down: the 'learn to play, noob' fanbase. :rolleyes:
He said it's fine that it's tailored for newcomers but that made it less to his personal taste as someone experienced with the series. That does not strike me as a particularly rude thing to say, friend

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Counter-point: dark souls. And possibly system shock 2, stalker shoc, thief 1 & 2, jedi outcast and of course; deus ex. That about sums up all the good games in existence.

Edit: forgot Iji by Daniel Remar, and everything by Matt Thorson before he sold his soul to adult swim.
Dark Souls, System Shock 2, STALKER and Deus Ex all suffer from a marked decline in quality towards the end of the game though?

Dark Souls has some really lovely areas towards the end like Lost Izalith, System Shock 2 just isn't as good in the latter half generally, STALKER has the bizarre teleport maze run and gun bullshit, and Deux Ex has empty areas like Paris that they had to cut down due to time constraints.

Also, thing dragging Vanquish down: I am only 23 and it's so intense it makes me feel like an old man. I can only play it in half-hour bursts or I start to feel overstimulated like an 11-year-old diabetic on a sugar high.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

kazil posted:

Do people really bitch about this? Because regenerating health is perhaps the greatest innovation in video games in the last 20 years.
Regenerating health has its place. The problem is that that place is Vanquish and games that aren't Vanquish sometimes try to use it too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm ~6 hours into Alien Isolation and there's a lot of really good things about it. However I currently have over 40 revolver bullets along with a large number of flares, flashbangs, sound grenades, pipe bombs, molotovs, and EMP grenades. I'm pretty much carrying 50 kg of throwable items around.

If I use literally any of this even once the alien will show up within five seconds, no matter where it is (which doesn't mean much anyway because it teleports anytime you put down the motion tracker for a half second), instakilling me if I'm not rubbing my face under a desk already or just instakilling all the human enemies in the area anyway (making the item pointless). I have no idea why I have all of this poo poo, and even if I do use a single item a single time safely, it will result in another exciting 30 seconds spent sitting in a locker or under a desk waiting to be able to play the game again.

Maybe this changes at some point but I have no idea why I have all these options when they all functionally do the same thing which is "call the alien who just kills everything."
This changes briefly during a segment where the alien isn't around, and then goes back to normal.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

It's pretty fun to see it in action. I think some goon made it actually.
A goon also invented cliff racers, to no-one's surprise.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alien Isolation has the same problem on PS3. Terminals are unreadable unless you scrunch up close to the screen.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

remap the controls

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Game Devs should troll players by putting in BAD END at the end of linear games. Uncharted 3 ends and everyone rides off into the sky, all alive and healthy and then BAD ENDING- credits.
but enough about spec ops the line

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao do they have any idea where the plot is going or are they just going to drag this poo poo out forever

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

kirby super star had the best wrestling mode and all games need to copy it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im pooping! posted:

God damnit, my fish died in Mass Effect 2 and I friend zoned Yeoman Chambers before she offered to feed my fish, now I can't get the Prejek Paddlefish in Mass Effect 3 and I miss out on a 10% increase on my power damage which I would like for an insanity runthrough.
I had to google to see if you were taking the piss or not. Jesus.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I was just about to start playing Dream Team :ohdear:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, in retrospect To The Moon really isn't that good. It just came out at a time where there really wasn't any good story-driven games coming out. Now there are and they're a lot better than To The Moon so it makes look even worse. It had its moments though and I still enjoyed it enough.
I still haven't gotten around to playing To The Moon, but I have to say it's shuffled a long way down my backlog now. I have this weird opinion that there were games with good stories before 2011 so I'm afraid it'll seem even worse by comparison.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

1stGear posted:

Bethesda doesn't actually make good RPG's, they make decent dungeon crawlers.
Decent dungeon crawlers usually require decent dungeons though.

(Skyrim had a couple of good ones but after a few you've seen everything)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

My dad always tries to play Gran Turismo when he sees me playing it, but I think it's a lot harder if you aren't familiar with controlling a vehicle through a game interface, even if it's with a wheel and pedals.
I always love stories about parents playing video games. My dad got really into Mario 64 with me (my first game - didn't have any consoles or w/e until I was 6) and I remember him getting really into it. Like, we both took it in turns trying to beat the final boss and failing, until one morning I got up before school and wandered downstairs to find him sitting in the study with a huge mug of coffee feverishly attacking Bowser and going "I got the bastard, son, I finally got him". It was great! And then he had a heart attack a few days later but he beat Bowser so whatever.

Then the next game we got was Starfox 64 and he said all the colours and fast movements hurt his head and he never touched a videogame again.

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Mar 2, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Thing dragging down Skyrim and most modern sandbox games: it's a sandbox where you can't move anything because the developer likes it where it is and most of the toys are broken

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If World War Z is on the screen it's probably better not to be able to see it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I merged into one of the other dreams towards the end there, but my point stands - those dreams kick arse.
No they're terrible and that's terrible writing.

Also Hotline Miami 2 sounds like literally everything I don't like about 1. I loved 1, played it to perfection in one day of having the flu and slightly hallucinating, which I believe was the perfect way to experience it - the only bits I didn't like were the parts that it sounds like make up the entirety of 2. I'll wait for a sale I guess but im sad :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah but Irenicus' actor completely commits to it, he speaks with such conviction, even if it's nonsense. That man could make Metal Gear Solid sound like Shakespeare.
That's true, he owns. 90s RPGs had loving great voice actors for some reason.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I thought GTA5 was still kind of dumb about doing stupid poo poo like making you follow an invincible car until it got to the arbitrary place where the game decided you would wreck it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, there are quite good reasons to be wary about supporting them before they release a finished product, but the goon hate is hilarious, especially when it comes to people claiming games like Psychonauts and Brutal Legend were always poo poo unironically.
Brutal Legend isn't great though, it's fun for a few hours then it turns into a lovely version of Sacrifice

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

My best friend is directing the newest Tales from the Borderlands, so if you've got a gripe let me know and I'll tell him
The character "Crazy Uncle Hoegbottom" is totally missing and this isn't acceptable

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's a side game with an intentionally lower-key story. Said lower-key story still leads to you using an army of robots to conduct a massive military coup. Does everything have to be save the world or bust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I bought this game called "New Vegas" and it's all about this fuxkin new Vegas place. Wtf.,... I didn't expect this.