Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I just finished going through NV again and I can confirm that New Vegas itself is still completely uninteresting and really annoying to wander around.
This is unfortunately true, I tend to stay outside and think of it as more of a concept than an actual place I can go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jastiger posted:

The Fallout Games seem to be on the cusp of really being SUPER DUPER awesome and then they devolve into samey enemies, samey weapons, and repetative quests. The best time I have in any of the recent Fallouts has been the first few hours since everything is so new, and dangerous, and exciting!

Then you figure out that yeah, you just need to shoot them here and there and then yeah, you just need more of this item, and oh no you're full on inventory, and no of course you can't just go into that cardboard box, the door is LOCKED you see, and the immersion is broken.

Both NV and 3 were alright, they just need to make more diversity in enemies, locations, as well as more unique dungeons and areas and they'll be great.

And get rid of the loving cazadors good god.
The best Fallout, Fallout 1, does not have most of these problems.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

after getting around the bug with a bunch of obscure console commands all character bonuses are lost forever because you double-clicked on your inventory-
This has been both fixed and retroactively patched out of affected characters. Like a week and a bit after launch it literally shouldn't affect anyone on the planet any more.

Also bugs/QA problems aren't really the same thing as dumb design decisions (which the NV soft gates certainly are) so I dunno why you're rambling about those.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

you guys make it sound like Skyrim has a dynamic gameworld where the available sidequests and content change every time depending on how the NPCs' own stories, lives and deaths play out, which would own. It does not

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I suppose what's getting me is that the way other roguelikes go, even a bad run is theoretically winnable. Being appropriately clever, cautious and strategic means that you're never in a no-win situation in a game like FTL, for example. This also means every failure is a learning experience; there's something to take from all of your failures, something you need to learn how to avoid.
Maybe this is true for modern hip roguelikes, which I'm not overly familiar with :crankygrandpa: but I still associate the term with games like Nethack and Stone Soup where ridiculous unfair early-game deaths are just a thing that kind of happens.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Actually, all the outrage has been over the removal of the limrick. Someone politely pointed it out to Obsidian and they were immediately like "Oh, our bad, we didn't notice". Then assholes like you threw a hissy fit, and are in fact still throwing a hissy fit.
you post . . . badly

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Heh, those goony goons and their goony ways. I bet they, haha, wear fedoras, and are fat, those goons. Me? Im one of the "good ones".

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like the SMT alignment scale, where Lawful people want to turn everyone into a Dalek slave race, Chaotic people want to usher in a Hobbesian world of endless warfare, and Neutral people are normal and not retarded.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Len posted:

I love that complaint. "Using these abilities trivializes everything! Too easy!" Why use them then?
Because a tightly-designed challenge where you have to use all the abilities at your disposal to overcome varied challenges, is lessened by every encounter having a magic win button to press.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Finally got around to playing Brutal DooM. Replacing the orbs of invisibility or whatever they're called with NPC allies that will murder half the level's enemies before you even start moving was fun for all of five minutes before realizing they're more trouble than they're worth and rob you of a good chunk of run and gunning.
"Fun for all of five minutes" is a good description of Brutal Doom as a whole

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jastiger posted:

intentionally hard games
God, what a horrible idea. I'm glad we've moved on from such awful concepts.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the bottom shot looks absolutely terrible

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing The Darkness 1 and, clunky as it is, I'm really enjoying it. The story and characters have managed to sucker me in unexpectedly well, and the powers are really fun to use. Between this and Escape from Butcher Bay, Starbreeze do/did an amazing job at taking questionable licenses and making really good games out of them with incredibly relatable characters and dialogue. Things dragging it down now that I accidentally care about some broody 90s B-comic characters, in 2015:

1) I know the sequel ends on a cliffhanger and a third game does not seem to be happening
2) The comics based on it are apparently so utterly awful that they managed to sputter on readerless until like a month ago when they unceremoniously had the main character killed off pointlessly after 20 years in a side issue of Witchblade that nobody read because nobody still reads Top Cow

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I didn't even try particularly hard and I had 100 in all skills by the end of New Vegas.

Plus, you can get cyber implants or whatever to raise your stats, so you only really need to start with 9 Int

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Poulpe posted:

I'm only in the very early game, but:
Divinity: Original Sin - Minmax or lose. Full stop.
OS starts out pretty tough but gets a lot easier very quickly.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Welp. Was gonna pick it up despite what I've heard about the RNG, but not after reading that. What a moronic twist.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a pretty competent two-stick shooter with enough randomization to keep it replayable.
Plus, it came out in the dark era before more competent and enjoyable contemporary twin-stick shooters, such as Hatred.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao that's just a lazy texture mod of the Arkham Knight model isn't it? It still has dumb combat trousers even

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

City was really good and if you don't enjoy perching on rooftops and swooping down to beat up random poors for loitering then you and I enjoy video games for very different reasons.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

If you don't care about spoilers here's the game's ending, even with context starting around 2:30 it doesn't make much more sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp-2eJLR8Ms
this loving owns

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

The thing is that he's absolutely right, ever since Oblivion the hardcore fans have been complaining about the fact that in Bethesda games just about any kind of character can do every quest in the game with little conflict or repercussion and how they need to be more like Morrowind and New Vegas and have actual story consequences for your decisions and lock you off from content. I guess now that he's actually agreeing with them it's no longer the case?

These fans want choices and consequences relating to your character build, strengths and weaknesses, under the belief that in an RPG it's dumb for your character to be a jack-of-all-trades who's perfect at everything. there is like 0% chance Todd is talking about that rather than removing player agency and making the main quest an epic linear emotional rollercoaster

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alouicious posted:

except judging by how much more Bethesda games sell than say Obsidian games, no it turns out people who play video games do want that
I wouldn't really call Bethesda games the latter either though? It's a Bioware thing and it sounds like they're finally about to for some of that sweet Mass Effect money, but they haven't really before now

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SiKboy posted:

People always complain about being able to be the head of the mages guild in Skyrim with pretty much no magic skills, but maybe the guild head position is mainly admin and bullshit politics. Its not like we expect the head of the UFC to also be the strongest fighter, or the head of the teamsters union to be the best driver.
Hmm, yeah.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That's my default appearance anyway.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think I got to the last two missions before I went "gently caress it" and watched the ending on youtube. I feel the difficulty shot up weirdly in the last couple missions.
also they were really really bad

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've continued in the witcher 3 and the writing/story presentation are still great, but it's really becoming hard to ignore how janky the combat is. It kind of just doesn't work sometimes. Maybe the souls games have spoiled me.

This was my problem with TW2. I enjoyed it the first time I played it, enough to go back to it a year or so later to try Iorveth's route... but I had played Dark Souls in the meantime and the combat was like pulling teeth. It's literally just a bad version of Souls combat and it's hard to stomach after you play those.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dead Money owned.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

The gently caress? ALL COMPANIES IN ALL EXISTENCE WANT MORE MONEY! It's kind of why they exist in the first place. Plus.
"its extremely illegal to say corporate greed is mildly inconvenient to you in the Say Things Are Bad thread on a comedy internet forum" - cool guy 2k15

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I thought the first Bioshock had a great story because the entire plotline worked based on the fact that players will do whatever they're told to do in a video game. That's something no other medium can do and I thought Bioshock did it very well.
I think that would have worked in a non-linear game. Like, I dunno, if completing the main quest in an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game actually turned out to be a really bad idea, and the villain laughs at you and asks why you did it except that it seemed like you were supposed to.

In a game that's 100% linear, I don't think it really worked because... you're not even so much doing as you're told as literally doing the only thing it's possible for you to do in the game. Ryan might as well have put you at the end of one short, empty corridor, said "heh, bet you're going to walk down my corridor" and then when you shuffle down it he goes "my JOKE corridor... that I built for a CLOWN at the CIRCUS!" and gives you a swirly. I don't think commenting on player agency works in a game that, by design, puts heavy limitations on player agency and offers no real opportunities for divergent gameplay.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

khwarezm posted:

SS2 is quite overatted and has the single dumbest ending I have ever seen in a video-game. It still baffles me that nobody ever brings it up when that game is mentioned which makes me suspect that quite a few people(particularly those who claim its the best thing ever) never bothered to actually finish the game.
I've seen it brought up a lot.

Personally I find the actual ending absolutely hilarious but the last third of the game kind of sucks as a whole. The first two thirds are absolutely incredible though, so it's still up there with the best things ever.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really liked the moral lesson that being nice to the homeless and helping them get shelter will result in mass, indiscriminate murder.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

The bitter and downtrodden underclass sometimes will murder the decadent bourgeois. A good lesson imo.
I'd be with them if they hadn't killed the cool explorer guy, the only good NPC in the game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm half-wondering if this is actually the point given BB's origin story. Getting thrown aside when he stopped being useful and all that.
it's insanely cool that, in a series that traditionally rewards you for taking the non-lethal option, Phantom Pain starts out by emphasising it more than ever and the deeper you get into the story and the more crazy and revenge-obsessed and generally evil the Diamond Dogs get, the lethal option becomes more and more either advantageous or at least not punished

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Supposedly the epilogue of MGSV was going to be a remake of the original Metal Gear
Link? I read about the plans for another chapter at the end (which gave some closure about two important characters who, as it stands, literally walk out of the game near the end and are never seen again) which was cut because the planned boss battle wouldn't run on any modern or last-gen console, but not this.

I'm reserving judgement until I get to the end. I'm expecting Kojima to pull the rug out from under us in more than a few ways that piss off a lot of people who can’t handle postmodern/quirky/flawed but ambitious narratives, just like he did in… not in MGS1, in MGS2, not in MGS3, in MGS4, not in Peace Walker. So it’s probably time for it again.

I mean part of me really wants the game to end with Big Boss having a naked fistfight in a thunderstorm with Zero/Skullface/whoever on top of the new Metal Gear while Push it to the Limit plays before snarling “looks like your plans are about to… take off” and Fultoning them into space, before cutting to a young Solid Snake infiltrating Outer Heaven, but the dude writes unconventional narratives and I’m glad someone in the industry does even if he’s far from perfect and often kind of bad.

Triarii posted:

I haven't actually tried it yet, but can't you play a lot of the game as any of the dudes in your combat unit? Might explain why they didn't have your character talk much.
The focus on freeform gameplay and player agency reflects the fact that, in-mission, whoever you're playing as is a character second and a player avatar first. It's interesting but I probably would prefer if he said more.

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 09:33 on Sep 9, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

That's a lie, though. I won't say anything more.
People going "heh heh there's a reason for that... won't say what!!!" and "Snake's very reticent... but that gets explained, heh heh!!!" and so on at every opportunity is starting to drag down MGSV discussions

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Morglon posted:

Gonna be frank here but even when people do explain things I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. At this point the story is so dense and nonsensical that you're either on board and have your own road map or you're flat out not welcome.
true, but basically people have an irresistable urge to hint at a massive ending spoiler for this particular MGS whenever the opportunity arises. I'm up to speed and still got blindsided by someone posting the equivalent of “ah, yes, the landscape in that new film Planet of the Apes does look familiar, because it was Earth all along”. :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

I though the MGSV mission "Lingua Franca" was pretty poorly designed. The premise is that you get hired to extract a prisoner but don't know where they're keeping him so you have to follow an interpreter to find out where he is. On the surface it doesn't sound too bad but in practice it becomes a huge time sink as you just kind of sit around watching the guy through your scope waiting for him to slowly walk somewhere. It's made worse by the fact that he doesn't just go straight from objective to objective and instead will just kind of wander around the mission area.
I punched him in the face with my bionic arm and he told me where the guy was. You can ignore Miller most of the time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

At least spoiler it yourself when you quote it on a new page instead of sharing it with anyone who might have missed it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Well, to be fair, it's not supposed to be a long term solution. I just find it annoying that for some reason they decided to put that stuff off in a different area and not actually attached to Mother Base.
I can kind of understand why an environmental animal protection NGO does not want to be directly associated with a rogue military state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Huey stuff ends perfectly and it would have been thematically idiotic to do anything else with it. More than anyone else in the game, between his own actions and Ocelot’s musing that he’s going to see through his own self-deception one day and realise how big a piece of poo poo he is, it ties a neat knot on the story of the dude who eventually drowns himself in a swimming people because his son hosed his wife.