Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

muscles like this? posted:

Oh yeah, that's right. Conviction is also the one where they were all "Sam isn't with Third Echelon so he'll have to improvise tools" and that lasts all of one mission before things are right back to the normal stuff.

Wow, it really was a 24 knockoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

LoonShia posted:

... There's a sewer system?

There's a unique lead pipe called The Humble Cudgel!

Lord Lambeth posted:

There's also some NCR sidequests in that area but yeah that area can be a little anemic for reasons to be there.

The funny thing about Westside and North Vegas is that there's not a lot sending you there but once you're there there's actually a decent amount to do. Like Westside has some colourful characters, a brothel and a little farming community and food market, and North Vegas has this cool urban western feel with the locals who are proud people who don't need no NCR, and they're being menaced by people literally called Squatter Bill and Greasy Johnny.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Missing Link DLC for Deus Ex, while having nice atmosphere and highlighting the darker side of the whole augmentation business, plays loving awfully. Unfortunately it's firmly integrated in the Director's Cut of the game. Doesn't just come with it, but is part of the storyline and can't be skipped. I'm probably never going to play Deus Ex again once I'm through just because of that bit, and it's a pity because I really enjoy the game otherwise. I think I'd rather deal with generic FPS boss fights using weaponless stealth Adam than go through Missing Link again.
I liked Missing Link a lot, though I was annoyed at having all my points taken away :argh:
The boss battleat the end was the best: I invisoed up to the second level and waited outside a door for the enemy inside to come out. He did and I knocked him out, and noticed as he fell to the floor tha I'd just punched out the antagonist! I was literally a minute into the fight and had to keep sneaking around taking out the rest of the soldiers.

One little thing that really annoyed me in DXHR was that you only ever recharge two energy cells. Apparently one in the original version? So to be an effective invisible melee fighter you have to be constantly chomping down candy. Why on earth are there not augments for recharging more energy cells?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I started playing Max Payne 3 the other day and stopped playing Max Payne 3 somewhere towards the end of the second level. The cutscenes go on forever and are not written well enough to justify it, movement feels annoyingly fiddly , I was getting used to the Epic Slo-Mo and then it put me in a helicopter and made me shoot a million bad guys at a weird angle so it was hard to tell where my bullets were going. I'll give it another shot soon because I've heard it's great over and over, but it sure doesn't make a great first impression.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The opening chapter of The Witcher 2 gets dragged down by assuming a LOT of familiarity with the previous games/books. I don't know who this king I'm friends with is or this magic chick who's my girlfriend. Later I met the king's... mistress? And she asked me to describe the character of the king to her, and I had several options to reply with but I'm like "which of these is even true? Thank gently caress she didn't ask me his name"

I'm glad I've got to chapter 1 and the characters are in a new area with no friends so I can start finally playing the game without scratching my head.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Arguments from popularity are rarely worthwhile but lol at the people in this thread. GTAV and Max Payne 3 were garbage :qq: Dear god. Rockstar doesn't give a poo poo what nerds think about their games that earn them truckloads of cash.

I thought Rockstar's upper management were reading this thread with their heads in their hands, boy is my face red

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's kind of weird that as far as I remember the female monsters have fully modeled genitals but the male monsters don't.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm feeling very justified atm in my decision to abandon MP3 halfway through the second level. It was critically acclaimed so I felt slightly embarrassed like it was my fault for disliking it. As you do.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm not sure if it's worse to have a game with no bathrooms at all, or to have a game with one bathroom at some point, leaving you wondering where the rest of them are.

For me the worse thing is to have plenty of toilets but no mirrors, maybe with some weird thing replacing the mirrors like in Deus Ex HR or just having blank walls.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Crackdown has a "key to the city" mode which disables achievements and lets you play the game with cheats enabled. I never played that game properly, I just popped the max skills cheat on and ran around the city at hyperspeed.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

kazil posted:

Hacking and mineral collecting sucked even more in ME1, which sucked at shooting on top of that.

I almost never did ME2 because ME1 is such a slog. While some of you say you enjoy aspects of ME1, it's such a miserable game.

Some of you claim to have enjoyed Mass Effect 1, however I did not enjoy it so you must be lying.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Right now what's dragging New Vegas down for me is that I'm trying to stick to full-auto weapons but I'm bored of the 9mm SMG and the only replacement weapons I can find are for sale for more money than I have because I spent it all on ammo for all the full-auto weapons I planned on using.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

One thing I find annoying about DE:HR is just how long the game takes to reveal that Megan is still alive when it's super obvious from early on that she didn't die.
Same with the big reveal about who her test subject was, which was obvious right from the game's intro.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

This whole pausing thing could be avoided by giving Dark Souls a single player mode. The pausing thing is the exact reason I haven't played it and probably won't.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I stand by it :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm a few hours into Dragon's Dogma and the combat system is really good- you can jump around, pick up and throw enemies, even climb onto the bigger ones- but holy crap is there a lot of it. I don't think I've gone more than a minute without getting piled on by bandits, wolves, goblins, harpies, or a mix of two or more types at once. I successfully ambushed a Bandit camp, and then a pack of wolves swarmed me, and in the process of fighting them I managed to aggro another Bandit camp 50 feet away. I don't know if I'm going to be able to get through this game if it's this same level of constant, grueling combat the whole way through. Hopefully now that I've reached Gran Soren things will calm down for a while.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I just wish I knew what they were weak against!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Esroc posted:

One of the better mods for Skyrim adds in three or four NPC adventurers like you that you can run randomly into out in the wild questing. It was nice to enter a dungeon only to find the Vampire nest inside already wiped out by a guy just as decked out in gear as you (why is the PC in Elder Scrolls games the only dude with decent gear in the entire world?) picking their corpses clean of loot.

Fallout New Vegas has NPCs called "prospectors" who are sort of meant to be like that. I don't think they'd complete quests for you but iirc the concept behind them was you might find one wandering out in the desert or exploring a dungeon, they'd be like little player characters doing their player character thing. Of course I don't know how much of that made it into the game proper; I've only ever seen one and he just hung around Primm walking aimlessly around the sheriff's office.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

The rest of the game is fantastic enough to make up for it, and I've heard the DLC is also worth picking up, but that was kind of a frustrating way of wrapping things up. At the very least I'm sure there'll be an even bigger for the next game around, which I'm eagerly looking forward to.

I got the game free off Xbox Live so I bought some DLC purely because I liked it so much. It was all pretty crappy and I'd have been unhappy with it if I'd paid for the main game. There's a post-ending DLC which has an equally terrible ending, and that annoyed me because you'd think they'd be glad to get a second chance to go out strong. I love Sleeping Dogs a lot but it does feel like a lot of the later story stuff was half-done.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I avoided the dice poker quests because I hate dice poker, and it stuck in my craw to let precious experience points slip through my fingers, but I guess I made the right choice after all :v:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I don't want video games to give me homework.

They're not. Side missions are optional.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I mean I guess a game could just put every quest in the game into the quest list and tell you how to kick them all off, I've just never seen a game that does that. Even a game like Skyrim, which is infamous for letting you experience all the content and become the head of every guild no matter what character you've made, requires you to actually go to a place and talk to a person first.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tiggum posted:

No, it isn't. I don't even know what is supposedly so controversial about just wanting to get to play the game instead of having to gently caress around finding the actual game within the "world". I don't know how anyone can seriously argue for "there should be bits of the game that a lot of players will miss" because what the gently caress is the point of that? "Ooh, you know I am really enjoying this game, but I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more if I got to play slightly less of it!"

This is incredibly dumb.

The world is the game. You explore the world and talk to NPCs and you get given quests as a result. You'll also miss a lot of content in Mario Galaxy if you refuse to press the jump button.

Len posted:

Yes but it's your opinion. Basically what y'all are saying is "How dare you not enjoy your videogames in the exact same way I do? I demand you enjoy them the same way I do!"
a video game can't be everything to everyone. There are already plenty of games that don't have optional side quests, someone who doesn't like optional side quests can just play those instead of suggesting that the entire concept of optional side quests be eradicated.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You don't have to stealth/pistol it but if you don't like the combat that's the best way to skip it and it is unquestionably the best tactic against the bosses. If you get through the whole game definitely play a second time as a more combat-focused character and make different decisions, it's really impressive how much stuff the game keeps track off and refers back to, or hides away unless you've done certain things.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

ArcMage posted:

Human Revolution is being dragged down by the ending situation. :(

I mean, the push-button aspect is a frequent complaint, but apparently the endings also vary with your conduct during the game, yeah?

I've been as big an rear end in a top hat as I can figure out how to be without actively doing the opposite of my objectives, and gotten the same 'I was basically a good dude, wasn't I?' blurb. I'm not even sure what level of assholery that's meant to signify.

In a more general way I'm just annoyed when I can't reach a given ending in a game, I guess.
as far as I know the only thing that affects it is how many people you killed, the idea being that killing people was the most convenient way to achieve your objectives or something.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That might be a bug(the eternal refrain of the New Vegas player) the ammo should be in your inventory once the number comes up and you hit confirm. If you haven't already, try switching to a weapon that uses it and cycling through the available ammo types.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Chard posted:

One thing that bugged me about New Vegas and really any other game with competing factions is that they're all perfectly psychic. If I get the drop on a completely unawares soldier and take him out with a single headshot and he has no buddies for miles, I should not take a reputation hit. If there's two or whatever I can write that off as a radio transmission but not one clueless guy who died before he heard the rifle fire. I'm an invisible spirit of wrath dammit, let me play like one.
If you sneak kill someone and nobody sees it in New Vegas you don't get a reputation hit.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

A thing that drags games down for me is when they do that self-aware thing that nobody likes having to jump through all these hoops and then make you jump through the hoops anyway. "haha you want me to kill rats in a basement, quest giver? What a cliche haha" *heads off to basement to kill the rats*

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I got Darksiders 2 on Xbox Live as well and I think it looks beautiful but the gameplay wasn't quite compelling enough to keep me interested so when I got to the tree of life or whatever and got to a different hub area with portals I took a break. Good to know I've got some epic stuff to look forward to when I go back :v:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You can even not care about that in the slightest and only go to confront Benny because another character asks you to. Still, it's true that the main quest itself is mostly just the game asking you to do some side quests, unless you go with Yes Man.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

House is a cool dude.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

House just wants a wasteland free of scrubs.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Ironically, House filled in Vault 21 because he didn't want an impregnable fortress that could be used against him across the street from his home which is a pretty prudent attitude, but the disused tunnels were used by Benny to sneak out of Vegas, so the vault ended up getting used against House in a way it couldn't have been if he'd left it alone.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Advanced prewar weapons like the ones on House's robots.

Edit: vvv House isn't ruthless or crazy

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Dec 29, 2014

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

They took it out to make the choice more difficult to make, and because the point of giving you a choice is neutered when you can just do anything you want.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tweet Me Balls posted:

If this is true, shouldn't the quest come before Don't Tread on the Bear (and the legion equivalent)?

I'm not saying there should be a speech check to make House fall in love with the brotherhood, but having some kind of alternative option with appropriate and likely complicated consequences would be nice. Or at the very least, don't make me load up a previous save because you locked me out of two other factions because I'm not psychic.
Not the choice of faction, the choice of whether to kill the Brotherhood. By putting it after those quests it becomes a question of how much your character supports House and believes in his grand vision.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

It can be worse. In one in-engine cutscene in Cataclysm, they try to avert this by having one character talk over another in an audio clip. Unfortunately, because it's an in-game cutscene with a lot of stuff going on, it's quite possible your computer will lag enough so the next audio clip doesn't play in a timely manner. Thus you get a conversation like this (genericized to avoid spoilers):

Character A: This is a thing I'm sayi--
Character B: Yes, yes...

Character B, continued: ...that's a thing you're saying.

There are a couple of times in Alpha Protocol where one character interrupts the other when they start talking, but that may not have been intentional.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Although speaking of graphics settings, I never know what to set them to anyway. I don't even know what most of them do. Will checking this box make a noticeable difference to how the game looks? Will it make a noticeable difference to how the game runs? :iiam:
A bunch of more recent games seem to give you basic tooltips ("makes the game look better but might lower the framerate" etc) which is nice.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Then just take him out on a mission and don't worry about unlocking and hacking stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I vaguely remember that bit resolving in such a way that I got the feeling the whole thing was pointless. Like whatever Batman went down there for turned out to not be there, or Croc destroyed it or something. I can't remember what but something happened at the end of that bit that really rubbed in how annoying it was to me.