Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I loved that, especially because it was treated as an epic tearjerking sacrifice

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Dec 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A weird bug in New Vegas was that two characters got their "goodbye" lines transposed, so there's a crazy raider out there who calmly says "farewell" and a solemn brotherhood scribe who says "lllllater!!"

This is a fun one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BttKIveIHsQ&t=28s

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Excellent. Now I just have to figure out which of the 50 different combinations of DLC packs offers the best value and also which content will be available for the longest time before it gets removed from the game

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Is it a standalone thing? I kind of want to play it before regular Alan Wake because it's shorter (this makes sense in my head) but obvs if it refers to and assumes you've played the whole original game then I'll play them the right way round

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

NV also added a "buffer" where performance wasn't affected until the condition dropped below 75% or so. Which is a nice mechanical addition and also thematically reflects the difference between New Vegas and Fallout 3: in one the whole setting is breaking down and dying and everything you pick up starts to degrade from the moment you get it, in the other your equipment lasts longer and is easier to maintain which reflects how in that setting it isn't a daily ordeal just to survive

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

apparently nora was supposed to be a veteran as well, going by cut audio files in the game. presumably they were cut because the target audience for fallout 4 cannot handle additional character aspects past "job, mother"

That's a weird choice because the impression the game as-is gives is that they expect you to play as the man and they include the option to play as the woman because it's series tradition to let you choose your character's gender

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

woke kaczynski posted:

I've read a couple articles about folks working in the game industry being traumatized by having to look at all sorts of gore images for hours a day to reference in creating the art and animations, which really takes it over the line for me.

This is my big beef with gore. I don't care if someone's head blowing up doesn't look like it would in real life, just have red and pink stuff. If it's good enough for Quake it's good enough for The Last Of Us! Oh yeah I'll suspend my disbelief over fungus turning people into immortal statues that stand still in the snow for 75 months and then sprint at you when you snap a twig, but you think I'll hit the roof if a guy's brain doesn't look like I imagine it probably would in real life when I get a critical headshot? Did Sam Raimi studiously research what someone cutting his own hand off with a chainsaw would look and sound like? Of course he loving didn't he splattered Bruce Campbell's face with red food dye and that was enough for us all!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Just use animal meat for reference, it pretty much looks the same as human gore but you can eat it when you're done

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's no way Final Fantasy X is 22 years old. It's the new Final Fantasy game, it just came out! I just asked my friend why it looks better than Gamecube games when the Gamecube is meant to have better graphics! I had that conversation very very recently, surely! You're having a laugh!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's surprising to me that they've rebalanced so much of Elden Ring but they've never really done anything with the HP values of the enemies in the late game. That difficulty spike must really be part of the vision

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Croccers posted:

I'm surprised more devs haven't started using a 'What Controller buttons you want displayed' option. Does weird software/drivers make things harder? My bf was using a Dualshock4 for years until the start of this month because more and more games would be wonk with it for whatever reason.

Binary Domain was the first game i thought of when this chat came up, you can make it detect an Xbox controller with enough wizardry but the PC input prompts are godawful

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If you're in a position where any move you make would let the opponent take your king, don't you... lose? I guess I thought that's what checkmate was

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

So if the game is turning against you you can avoid losing by trying to manipulate your opponent into stalemate? This has almost certainly been a plot point in a movie at some point

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

My assumption is that the Far Cry game which ends with the apocalypse isn't set in the same universe as the ones which don't

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't remember if there's a way to actually die in that room, they may have been banking on people thinking "huh? Someone died in here? How? Did the [spoiler redacted] come alive and do something to them?" and looking at the bloodstain out of curiosity

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think Metal Gear Solid 4 has a cutscene that's as long as an actual movie at one point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

They should have just replaced whisky with milk or apple juice like other games do