Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

kazil posted:

A recent Terraria patch added fishing to the game.

No video game ever has benefited from having fishing in it. Fishing is a boring as gently caress chore and has no place in video games.

Twilight Princess :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The inventory system in Earthound. Some SNES classics can get a little outdated at times (Super Metroid, the FF games etc.) but this is really bad. It's really telling that so many people are willing to put up with it time and time again for the writing, which is incredible.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sire Oblivion posted:

I never played it, but what's wrong with the inventory system? Is it that drastically different from other games that it's a hindrance?

It's really small, and equipment takes up regular inventory spots so it's smaller than it looks. Also, there's no "key item" section so stuff like the sound stone, ATM card, among a ton of other key items all take up a spot. It means that you barely ever have the inventory space to bring healing items along and you can never play around with the condiments feature which they push early on. Also you're constantly depositing and withdrawing your items with Escargot Express and it's pretty frustrating to get through the monkey cave just to need to go all the way out to pick up the pencil eraser that you deposited.

It's really bad and you're struggling with it pretty much the whole game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Usually people don't get mad if you lie on the internet but goddamn you can get shot for saying poo poo like this

The controls could have been a lot tighter, speaking as a person who never played the game at release.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ryoshi posted:

Have you ever played another Metroid game, ever? They are all kinda floaty.

Y'know, 'cuz space.

Zero Mission and Fusion both had tighter controls than Super Metroid, in my opinion. I have never played Metroid 2, and I played the first one for like 5 minutes before turning it off in disgust. It hasn't aged well.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Xoidanor posted:

You're telling me that there are people that didn't take every opportunity to shove people in the back of the car and send them flying off into the sea? :colbert:

Yeah, lots of them. Have you considered seeing a therapist? Because ummm... :wtc:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
This website is hosed up... All of you are loving twisted.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think Resident Evil 5 is a fun little game, that's doomed to be the sequel to one of the best ever. It's not the only game cursed with this fate.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

OldTennisCourt posted:

FF 9 loving rules and has the most likable lead in the entire Playstation FF series. Sure the villains sorta suck but the entire game is gorgeous, the battle system is awesome and the story is pretty fun.

actually that's Cecil and it's not particularly close IMO

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

OldTennisCourt posted:

Notice how I said playstation series.

oops.

E: I like FF10 a lot by the way

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cleretic posted:

The only good fishing minigame was in Ocarina of Time. And it was mostly great because there wasn't much in the way of rewards (meaning you could skip it pretty safely), and also there was in-built cheating.

The fishing in Twilight Princess is at least 5, possibly 6 times better.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The assassins creed games could be legitimately offensive to some people, especially the first 2.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm pretty sure Ubisoft genuinely doesn't understand what makes people want to play Assassins Creed.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Anyone who likes AC should just play Shadow of Mordor instead. It's all the good parts minus most of the bad parts.

Is it still set in real historical locations with relatively accurate layouts and buildings?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It feels way more like AC than Batman.

E: Even the combat that has been called a Batman clone feels way closer to the counter fest that is AC.

That's a shame, rear end Creed's combat is insanely bad.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think it's extremely important to have content you can miss in most games. Discovering something means a whole lot more when you really discovered it and there's not a checklist or quest log leading you and a thousand other players there.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sire Oblivion posted:

Do you mean miss as in things you can go back and enjoy without restarting the game again, right?

More as in dynamic stuff not every player is supposed to find or expected to. Something like some of the hidden areas in Dark Souls, for example. I don't think there should be stuff arbitrarily gated from any player, if possible. Exceptions can be made for some things though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

oldpainless posted:

Goddam these boss fights in Deus Ex: HR can go to hell.

get the tempest power or whatever it's called that makes an explosion. It sounds useless if you're playing a no kill or stealth run but it's so strong the upgraded version one shots every boss in the game. Seriously, just get it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Yeah, that. I always grab it before the 2nd boss, since you can cheese the first one with the barrels and savestates.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Taerkar posted:

Counterpoint: Mega Man 2, many of those weapons made sense against the bosses (Though the answer was almost always metal blade)

not really

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Dr Christmas posted:

There are some vents along the side of the room and some cabinets or something that'll get you about half way, if I recall correctly.

A tip for the third boss and the final boss event thing in Deus Ex: HR: you'll want the eye upgrade that lets you see cloaked enemies through walls and the experimental laser weapon I think you first find in the Harvesters' hideout. It can shoot through walls, so those two things together keep him from sneaking up on you.

upgraded Typhoon kills him in one hit, use that instead.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

FredMSloniker posted:

That little thing dragging Dark Souls down: the 'learn to play, noob' fanbase. :rolleyes:

grow up

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Speak for yourself, watching a bunch of armchair game developers opine at length about how every bad thing in Dark Souls is actually objectively good and every change in Dark Souls 2 is objectively bad because the YouTube video that they are mindlessly parroting verbatim said so is hilarious. It fills the hole that was left when the Silent Hill franchise died and you no longer had people writing up college theses about how the clunky gameplay and awful dialogue were actually intentional and brilliant because :itisapenismetaphor:

Yeah, Silent Hill is bad and discussions about game design and how games can be better are also bad. Fly away, troll.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

DStecks posted:

I'd argue that Jason Brody from Far Cry 3 is one of the best FPS player characters ever; in that the whole point of the game is that his propensity for bloody murder is extremely hosed up. All the other things you list are extremely subjective.

And Ubisoft of all publishers can hardly be called out for "egregious DLC"; their DLC is usually pretty close to legit old-school expansion packs. EA and Activision are both much worse for "GUN PACK DLC" and assorted bullshit.

You really think Far Cry 3 is the paragon of video game writing?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

1stGear posted:

Its literally part of the plot in Saints Row 4 that the Boss is a violent sociopath and the game makes fun of the previous games for being GTA clones and not being able to decide if they were serious crime-dramas or wacky slapstick comedy. SR4 is probably the only open-world game that truly understands how story works in open world games.

I couldn't get into Saints Row 4 for the very same reasons people cite it as one of the best games of the year.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

OldTennisCourt posted:

Because it's fun?

I didn't really think so.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's been quite a few of the Zelda's. OoT was definitely super bad about it, but it's not like WW or Link's Awakening weren't just as bad. Half my playtime on those games involved walking in circles.

Wait, how the hell do you get lost in the dungeons in Wind Waker? What the hell?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RyokoTK posted:

Plus enemies do a ton of damage to you. You think you're a badass until "atras de ti, imbecil!" and some old lady buries a hatchet into your spine and lops off a third of your health.

This. I don't know who the gently caress decided enemies doing lots of damage was reserved exclusively for hard modes but it's hosed. If you want your enemies to be threatening, getting hit by them has to actually mean something.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The story is great because it's taking the piss out of Metal Gear Solid by being so openly stupid. Usually the MGS games are a mishmash of goofy and self-serious, full of soliloquies about war and technology and all the enemies and heroes alike having tragic backstories that they constantly agonize over but also poop and boner jokes, here Raiden's entire arc is learning to dehumanize himself and face to bloodshed and the enemies are hilariously, cartoonishly evil to the point where they're butchering orphans in the name of returning to THE GOOD OL' DAYS AFTER 9/11 and they turned the much-criticized nanomachines plot from MGS4 into a punchline to explain why Dick Cheney is the final boss.

Yeah you have to have something wrong with you not to enjoy the plot of MGR

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Flying Cheep-Cheeps in pretty much every Mario platformer. I never played much of the 2D games as a kid, so maybe I'm just bad but no matter what game they are, the original, or NSMBU. They fly out of nowhere and kill me. It's not so bad when you can breeze through the level fast, but if you're trying to grab a star coin or a powerup then they come out and kill me before I even notice.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Byzantine posted:

The Roman Empire, for all its brutality, was incredibly successful, safe, and pretty much the best time/place to live on Earth until the rise of modern medicine.

The Legion is not the Roman Empire, and that made me sad.

Rome doesn't have poo poo on Egypt.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The Last Story has apparently a ton of poo poo (dyes, equipment, materials, etc.) locked behind multiplayer. I'm pretty sure I bitched about this before in this thread, but drat it, when I buy a JRPG I am looking for a single player experience. The Wii online play being no longer active is also slightly problematic in unlocking all that poo poo.

Yeah, it would be nice if games didn't lock single player stuff behind multiplayer as a rule, because I'd like to be able to come back to stuff when this stuff stops getting serviced in 5 years.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I finally got around to playing The Walking Dead: Season 2 and my piece of poo poo laptop can only run the game for like 15 minutes without overheating. The game does not work very well as a series of short vignettes.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

melon cat posted:

I've always felt the same way about minigames. I don't mind having them in a game as a 100% optional distraction, but when the developer forces you to play them as part of the regular game playthrough (I'm looking at you, Red Dead Redemption and GTA 5) it does get irritating.

I'm so loving done with poker.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What's actually different in Far Cry 4? I thought 3 was okay but I haven't really seen anything from 4 that's convinced me it's not just going to be the same game all over again.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I actually liked Spirit Tracks

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RyokoTK posted:

The one really good thing Spirit Tracks has going for it is Toon Link, because everything about Toon Link is cool and great. There's a cutscene early in the game where ghost Zelda browbeats Link into bringing her along with him starting whatever the fuckin main quest is and it's funny and good. I just like how emotive his doofy big eyes are.

Trains are cool

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RyokoTK posted:

Trains are pretty cool.

Demon trains are less cool, though.

Yeah having 1 hit kill enemies moving around the world map was a little annoying but I think I got hit by them maybe twice total, both at the very beginning of the game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I have to say, I like Metal Gear Rising less the more I read goons talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I watched Chip Cheezum's LP, and maybe I'm just a cynical goony goon but after a while the sheer unrelenting over-the-topness got tiresome. Maybe it's a "you don't know if you haven't played it" situation.

I really enjoyed the game, its just that lots of dumb people have latched onto it and repeated good lines and fun moments over and over again. The Portal effect, as its known.

E: I went into the game nearly blind and had a blast but its harder and harder for me to go back.