Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

"but if I've replaced all the parts in my gaming computer, can we even say it's the same computer?" idk are you still bottom-scoring?? the individual components may be impermanent but your place on the scoreboard sure ain't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

There are those sad games out there that sap all joy out of the double jump by building the levels entirely around it, requiring you to get maximum distance on every single leap.

There is a saving grace for this, which is "Up-Air Combo"

If you design around the perfect double jump height, and don't have an upward aerial attack which can function as a broke-rear end version of an extra jump, that's lame. If you do have that up-aerial? Thats great. Letting the player do slight course correction after a mistimed jump is part of what makes a double jump good in the first place

The Best, though:
  • Game has double jump
  • Game also has up-aerial which adds vertical height, but not as well as a Double Jump
  • Up-aerial is difficult (but not impossible) to use for this purpose
  • Up-aerial is obtained before Double Jump
  • Jumps that are locked behind Double Jump are not pixel perfect for Double Jump, but are pixel perfect if attempted with standard jump + up aerial

Very basic, doesnt even need to let the player sequence break a ton, but incredibly satisfying to do.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

IIRC there is a way to down-attack some of the more annoying enemies (I'm guessing it's the plant monsters on the ground in the garden area?) BUT it's dumb. You dont hold down + attack, you hold down + forward + attack, which doesnt always work, and the hitbox still sucks depending on the weapon. I spent most of the beginning of the game equipped with the spell that attacks along the ground specifically for those rooms/those enemies until I got a big swingy two-handed weapon that attacks downwards on a regular attack

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm just finishing the Dice Gambling place with Haruka in Yakuza Kiwami, and I'm turning the difficulty down to Easy. The best way to describe the combat in this game is "constantly in the way"

It's OK when it's random street thugs who you can style on in 20 seconds, but I have yet to have the "Eureka!" moment that suddenly unlocks this combat system being secretly good for long-scale fights. If you commit to any punch at all when there's multiple characters to fight, you will get dinged by some random mook and lose a huge chunk of your Heat bar. I've unlocked the abilities that let you immediately block after getting interrupted/immediately dodge after getting interrupted and they don't seem to actually do anything, no matter which style I'm currently using. If I get hit, I will press the dash button repeatedly while getting wombo-combo'd by two bosses, and then have to button mash to stand back up because they've also taken away all the Heat.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Some of the bosses are annoying like early Shimano and the Akai brothers as well as anyone who uses a gun but it's the same as any game, you hang out near them, get them to throw some punches or kicks into empty air and then punch them in the back of the head. Basic goons can't be a problem because even like, three punches and then the finisher in rush style is enough to knock basically everyone but bosses on their rear end. Otherwise, just use Beast around literally any object and keep mashing till the bikes, chairs, table, and whatever random object does the job.

This is pretty much how I've been playing, Beast when there's literally any blue triangle on-screen, use the guard when enemies start swinging, switch to Brawler and use some weapons whenever possible, etc. but turning the difficulty down to Easy immediately made things more enjoyable. I might turn it back up soon because taking out an entire boss health bar off with one climax heat action is kind of ridiculous, but I'm gonna boost a couple more stats first.

I'm currently stuck trying to get Majima to actually spawn with the fighting style I need. I need to run in Breaker Majima in order to finally, hopefully get the last upgrade that might make Dragon style not suck (Fast Quicksteps) but apparently running into Breaker Majima via him jumping into a fight does not count. I keep bumping into Officer Majima/Zombie Majima/Bat Majima, and then I fight him enough times that he fucks off back to the West Park to smoke until I finish the next chapter. I'm at A Rank Majima Everywhere and just about to finish Chapter 8 and still can't get the sumbitch to show up

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

kazil posted:

You can have the most beautiful hand crafted world ever but if I have to traverse it 5000 times I'd like fast travel please

I've gone for 30 hours walking around Kamurocho in Yakuza Kiwami, an area the size of maybe an average JRPG town, and the only time I ever used the fast travel/cab service was when a side quest heavily hinted that I needed to use it to progress the side quest.

If I need to walk 5000 times across the world, make it super small and regularly fill it with jerks to beat the crap out of :2monocle:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just joined a tournament in Yakuza Kiwami where you can pick your weapon, and then fight against three other enemies who use weapons. I already beat it one time, kicked everybody's asses, had a great time, but didn't earn enough :airquote: Experience :airquote: in the tournament (my stats are literally all 48/48 in the main game minus the Dragon Style stuff) so now I have to replay tournament fights to unlock the next fights. On my refight, I picked the wooden katana (which I've explicitly unlocked skills for) and... I don't have any combos? At all?

It's not even just that it feels weaker compared to the other weapon I used, it feels the weakest I've felt in the entire game. The enemy completely no-sells any attacks besides a kick, all of his multi-hit combos break through any block, the evade quick-step cannot get you far enough away to actually dodge an attack, and fully-charged attacks/heat actions are barely taking any health off this guy. I would think this was a super-hard late-game boss fight I'm not prepared for, but I just chumped this same dude two minutes ago with a pair of brass knuckles. What universe did I stumble into here? It felt like somebody combined a broken-sword-only Dark Souls run with that first Majima boss fight you're supposed to lose after the Prologue. Completely miserable.

And, when you lose a tournament fight, it spits you back out in the Fight Arena lobby with zero health, and there's no restaurant around. The best you can do to prepare yourself for the next fight is buy a ton of health potions and pour them all into your item box so you can pull a few out between tournaments. And when I realized midway through this fight that it'd be an absolute unwinnable slog, I also realized you can't exit tournament fights. There is no "gently caress this, this sucks" button outside of just saving before every tournament you enter and loading a save. Why?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Yakuza 0, some of the minigames catch me off-guard the first time I try them, so I have to try them a couple times to get the hang of them. Nothing in this game makes me not want to touch them again quite like having a wind-up and wind-down cutscene before each attempt.