Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Somfin posted:

The Tick, which at least gives you additional health from time to time. The Crystal Skull can be gotten rid of, unless I'm really mistaken.

But that whole concept of an undroppable item is loving stupid and I'm always pissed off when games put something like that in WHEN THE WHOLE GAME IS ABOUT GETTING AND TRYING OUT NEW AND INTERESTING ITEMS.

It's like, what's the design philosophy behind this? "Here's a reward item that just makes this run less fun. Roguelikes!" *violent jazz hands*

I'm not saying all items should be good, I just want to fail because of something that is my fault. NetHack knew this one. Its inventory system let you keep a hoard of things, all of which you could equip at any time, and each of which could gently caress you over if you didn't play the NetHack way. "You didn't identify the drat thing? Hell yes it might have been cursed! It was cursed! Fuckin' moron! Die by hallucination-induced Klingon!"

But Binding of Isaac is all about shovelling as many items into your face as you can, and then adjusting your playstyle based on whatever you just picked up. The Tick is just "Nope, you don't get to have any of this whole branch of items anymore, you just get this one."

Except for picking up the trinket bag which lets you carry two trinkets, rendering it as a permanent heal in boss rooms + boss health reduction + still capable of letting you use other items.

Or you could just, you know, not pick up the tick. It's a penalty for making the game strictly easier if you find the bosses to be too tanky with your current items. Locking yourself out of the mostly-useless trinkets (with the exception of the flat penny or counterfeit penny) is a moot point if you're rocking Soy Milk for some reason and just want bosses to die faster.

Isaac is definitely not about "always pick up every item", it's actually extremely stupid to do that. Leave some items alone unless they synergize with your current run. Like, don't pick up My Reflection when you have Ipecac, or don't pick up Soy Milk when you have Proptosis, or just don't pick up the Tick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Somfin posted:

So, I can either get a rare item in the same run, or know ahead of time that picking up this item, identifiable only by its image, is going to make the rest of the run less fun.

Yeah, no, it still drags the game down for me.

You are not gonna like the more obtuse and mean unlocks :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Somfin posted:

Yeah, I had a good Samson run, blundered into the boss rush zone, killed about five bosses I'd never seen, realised that I'd probably never top that and ended my playing that game phase on a high note.

For reference, in order to unlock every item in the game and get 100% completion, you first need to unlock a secret character by dying in very specific ways as multiple characters, all in a row.

This secret character cannot pick up any kind of health. It is a one-hit-kill scenario, unless you pick up a very specific item which gives you one free hit per room. Otherwise, being damaged in any way will kill you outright no matter what.

You have to beat the Boss Rush on Hard Mode, as well as the two secret bonus final levels (on Hard Mode), as this character. The items all only show up in rare reward rooms called Angel Rooms, which require specific conditions be met (kill a floor's boss past Basement 1 without taking red heart damage, unlocking a Devil Room, then not trading any hearts for items, then doing the same no-hit floor boss kill, which gives you a 50% Chance of finding an Angel Room.) Then you need to get lucky and have the item you unlocked appear in the Angel Room instead of the other, more common Angel Room items. All of this to just collect the item, which then finally adds to your item-collection completion percentage.

Granted, the game doesn't reward you for this, it's just a constant 99%/100% completion tick which may drive some people bonkers. But if you think just being unable to drop a trinket is a dick move, you haven't seen anything yet.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've never been able to understand why binding of isaac is as popular as it is. The design is piss compared to so many other roguelites.

The sheer number of item combinations and potential for being extremely overpowered makes for a fun run, when it eventually happens. Skill is rewarded pretty highly once you start no-hitting floors and learning item combinations that you should game the system to find, like Guppy items if you somehow get 1 or 2 on Floor 1. It's basically as fun to play as it is to break apart, and breaking it by gunning for OP items is encouraged to a degree. It just also has a number of dick-moves in store for the achievement completionists. The poor design choices stay fairly limited to "some items can gently caress up your run but after the first time you see them you'll do better with them" (Ipecac, Soy Milk, Cursed Eye) and "let's lock OP and gimmick items behind stupid requirements" (Godhead, D100, Mind/Body/Soul)

E: oh, and some enemies just take too many hits. I'm looking at you, basically-every-spider-and-Greed-heads! :argh:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Those people are probably the people who firmly believe the series should have stayed a Metroidvania game and not an open-world exploration game

Which is dumb, Batmanning around Gotham owned in Arkham City

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

Please lay off the guy who posted the long stupid rant about a game that had been out for something like an hour because he managed to post the rant in the correct thread on only his second attempt.

"I have severe issues with the way batman is presented which affects the overall experience on a major way, so much so that I need to post about it in PYF after 30 minutes of gameplay" is an attitude best saved for the games thread, where people who care about that game as much as he does can properly debate the ethics in game vigilantism.

The little thing dragging down Arkham Knight for me is the Batman Beyond DLC suit. BB was one of my favorite shows as a kid/tween, and it looks much less like a sleek batsuit used for acrobatics and more like a Razer-sponsored batsuit powered by Nvidia :smith:

http://media1.gameinformer.com/file...ers/arkham2.jpg

The suit in question. Mobile rehosting isn't working so it's just linked, not img'd

bawk has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Jun 24, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

death .cab for qt posted:

The little thing dragging down Arkham Knight for me is the Batman Beyond DLC suit. BB was one of my favorite shows as a kid/tween, and it looks much less like a sleek batsuit used for acrobatics and more like a Razer-sponsored batsuit powered by Nvidia :smith:

Reposting for new page and because I'm at home and can properly imgify this for people who didn't click it.

Seriously, look at that poo poo.

The Batman on the right is a DLC suit for Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" Batman, who has always been a thick sunnuvabitch

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The company that handled the PC port was, surprise surprise, the same company that bungled the PC version of Arkham Origins so badly that I think it was mostly fixed by video card companies making tweaks in their driver updates.

It was still a shitshow with single-FPS gliding around certain locations, especially when fast traveling or loading in a new zone.

The best thing that studio managed to pull out of that entire game was the Mr. Freeze DLC, which consisted of

• The Mr. Freeze origins story ripped directly from a Batman: The Animated Series episode. Down to where Freeze worked, who we worked with, that Ferris Boyle was actually evil, etc.
  • Adding in "Freezing Vapor" (poison gas that kills you) and ice walls that exist only to gate you off of the second half of the DLC until you get the "Thermal Suit"
  • The Thermal Suit, which looked baller as hell but legitimately only exists as a metroidvania item to arbitrarily block off all the collectibles and other locations
  • Shrinking the gameplay area to two tiny areas from the south island of Gotham
  • Four arbitrary collectibles which gave you mild upgrades to your Thermal Suit, but consist of hunting for more Anarky tags and freeing 20 people frozen in ice. Tedious work.
  • The most annoying enemy to ever exist in the game, the CryoGun Goons. Who often show up in pairs, meaning you're juggling between two goons with guns that freeze you in place at a moment's notice while other goons try to attack you. They're annoying as hell.
  • A complete rehash of the Mister Freeze fight, only it sucks now because he doesn't "learn" from you attempting takedowns, so you can use as many wall/vent takedowns and icicle takedowns as you want.
  • This comes after a dumb "destroy three cryogenerators" fight that just consists of knocking out four goons, waiting for Freeze to look away from you, then sloooowly destroying a generator.

The whole thing is just a mishmash of good intentions marred by so many little things that drag it down, and reusing other ideas without doing anything to improve them, just sorta differentiate without polishing the ideas up.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mildly Amusing posted:

I think the main reason was just the size of the game. Asylum is comparatively smaller than City. Even if you didn't get distracted by random poo poo along the way traveling from one objective to the other probably takes roughly half the amount of time in Asylum than City. A quick Google search says City had an extra 200 Riddler trophies from its predecessor on a map 5 times as big. That's not even including New Game Plus, or the extra challenges, or the DLC.

Maybe for the first twenty hours or so. Once you've bashed in the skull of one vagrant you've bashed them all.

Please wait for the sequel to this post which will contain an extra 20,000 words on a forum 3 times bigger than this

Not 200 more riddler trophies, no. Just Riddler Challenges.

In Asylum, you had the trophies, the riddles, the Joker Teeth, the riddler maps, the perspective riddles with the question marks, the interview tapes, and the chronicles of Arkham. You don't directly interact with the Riddler, you just find a list of collectibles that ultimately leads to you typing numbers into your bat computer wristband and leading SWAT to bust in his front door.

In City, you had the trophies, the riddles, the perspective riddles, the breakable objects (Joker Teeth, but unique to indoor locations/setpiece areas), TYGER cameras, and the physical challenges. There were more of each because City had a bigger map, with lots of indoor areas to explore. There were an extra 200 challenges, sure, but they weren't just tedious trophy collecting. They just added in a few more breakable objects, more riddles, more trophies with more complex puzzles to solve, and more actual interaction with the Riddler and the people he's trying to hurt, leading up to you directly capturing The Riddler yourself.

If you view it just as the number, it seems like way too many challenges, but when you play the game the actual number of things to do is nowhere near that bad, just collect what you can as you play through the game and come back for the really egregious stuff later. You'll get hella burnt out if you do literally no challenges until the end of the game, but doing the trophies that you can, as you discover them, just leaves you with a tidy amount of post-game content to collect while the post-game quests pop up.

Also, there's 400 challenges for Batman, 40 for Catwoman, and about 250 in Asylum. The limit to finish the Riddler's quest is 400, not including Catwoman's stuff, so the game actually gives you a bunch of easy challenges to do as her to pad out your numbers and make it even easier to beat it.

That all being said, I did have the same problem with City when I first played it. I knew who was in the sidequests of the game and how many there were, and just seeing the big number of 400 challenges left me gobsmacked. Once I actually got into the game, though, it becomes pretty apparent that there are trophies you are meant to get and some you aren't, so you can just pick up the easy ones and leave the complex ones which require extra gadgets for later. I probably spent an hour, total, picking up the trophies I needed to take down the Riddler, which was actually about as much time as it took me to finish up the trophies/riddles/etc. I missed from Asylum.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Did they confirm that D4 is never getting a second season?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hell yeah! :getin:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Krinkle posted:

I got the impression from context of people talking about it that D4 was good? But this thing I saw was bad. It was real bad. I have a hard time believing anything that preceded this could possibly not also be bad?

It's a B-movie quality cult-hit director's pet project that gets sequels as long people keep buying it. If you liked Deadly Premonition then you'll love D4

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I get what you're saying, but isn't that kind of a moot point when A) most players don't know the Amano art exists, and B) the characters in game are what the player actually sees for 80 hours?

No, because they were in every instruction manual and show up as that character's model in later games which include old characters.

They've always wanted busy character designs and expected you to imagine the sprites to appear as the busy designs included in the manuals they expected you to read.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

darkhand posted:

Was dark souls nerfed or something? I never grinded for anything in that, and I thought souls were p much useless. I beat the whole game at soul level 21 and I'm not even like MLG poo poo. Just don't get hit I don't know what was so hard about that, leveling your stats never made that easier.

Sorta? I think some bosses may have had health reduced in patches, but overall the difficulty in the game is not based on level, but skill. Leveling up mostly just allows you access to various weapons, with certain break points to increase damage on properly-scaling weapons. Those increases only serve, in application, to reduce enemies from dying in 3 or 4 hits to 2 or 3 as you move along. A properly upgraded weapon does this as well. I only ever leveled up when I was 20-30 hp short of killing something in X hits, so I could drop a 3 hit kill to, say, 2.

Overall, leveling up highly is mostly useful for PVP. PVE, you can beat the game at SL1 with just pyromancy and a +5 lightning and/or+5 chaos hand axe.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

FO:NV, like FO3, lets you change your build as you see fit before venturing into the world at large.

Unfortunately, the prompt is triggered by walking outside of an invisible boundary in the starting zone with no obvious signposting, unlike FO3 where it was the giant loving vault door.

And of course, the prompt doesn't have a "hold up there, let me go back two feet from the boundary and save my game" option so if you wander into the boundary with only a quicksave you're kind of screwed into going through the whole opening again the next time you want to create a character.

Thankfully in NV "the whole opening" is "character creation, then you can tell Goodsprings to gently caress off and leave immediately" which makes the whole thing not to shabby. I usually just start from the beginning because it doesn't take too long and I like the doc

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dead money would be a good game but it was a bad fallout DLC

Not the worst though

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

I might want to do that DLC in the future. Is any of that plot-important to a DLC or mission-critical or background fluff? I don't know, all I know is I got a ton of stuff that obviates the 'caveman mode' part of the game plus five different mission start popups in a row. Completely turned off my enthusiasm for a run. Just dropping it means (a) coming back for it if it's handy, important or very powerful and (b) I'm intentionally passing up gear on a non-challenge run, which is always a no-no in a game where one of the core ideas is 'vacuum up everything in the wasteland for your collection'.

If anything is required for a quest it will stay in your inventory. They all also have radio frequencies you tune to so you can find their starting points

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Infinity Blade III.

So, I love these games. Simple combat, very satisfying, interesting premise, lots of pretty armor dress up, and secrets abound.

Except in 3, where the armor looks the same or looks ugly as sin, they've gone from show-don't-tell to plot dumps ahoy, the exploration of one large building for secrets has been canned (now there's just a literal map with linear levels connecting everything), and the combat.

Oh lord the combat.

None of this has been properly play tested. Enemy damage and elemental effects ramp up insanely quickly while you're stuck scrounging gold to buy upgrades items. It doesn't matter if you like pretty armor dress up, because some equipment is just loving mandatory at times to combat elemental damage. The worst part, though, the most inexcusable part, is input delay.

There's loving input delay on your swipes. For those who don't know, the gist of combat is "swipe in the same line and opposite direction of your opponents sword to parry them. Parry them enough and you stun them, letting you deal actual damage." In a game where enemies can attack real loving fast, input delay breaks the game. You cannot loving play. The enemies get stupid hard, forcing you to either play perfect despite input delay, get one-shot, or succumb to the second worst part of the game:

It's pay to win. A largely single player, action-oriented, already costs six loving dollars, pay-to-win game. The cheapest IAP is 5 bucks for a 500 "gems" which amounts to one "Large Key" to open the most valuable chests, which roughly comes out to one mid-tier weapon, 100,000-ish gold, a decent gem which probably doesn't even work for your preferred weapon/armor, or a prize wheel to spin for roughly the same awards.

Otherwise, you:

*pay to level up your weapons instead of fighting with them
*pay for full-heal potions to get 2-shot instead of 1-shot in each fight
*pay to skip arbitrary wait times while you use the potion-brewer, blacksmith weapon-upgrader, or gem-fuser
*pay for gold to buy weapons, armor, shields, gems, and helmets
*pay for gems to buy maps which give you one bonus item by tapping a secret area shown on the map
*pay to unlock skills in your character's skill tree early instead of grinding 100 level over the course of weeks to unlock what you want
*pay for gems to buy keys to open chests for lovely rewards
*pay for extra slots at the upgrader vendors so you can do more than one upgrade at a time instead of waiting 20 hours real-time and/or completing four full maps at roughly 15 minutes game-time apiece to finish your upgrades

Did I mention you already paid six dollars just to play this loving game?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

And second are there any RPGs that do the dual-hero attacks like in chrono trigger? Where two people can wait and then take a turn together to kick tons of rear end?

Seems like most RPGs are based on Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior and I'd rather see more like Chrono Trigger. (Not even talking about CT's story here, just mechanics)

I believe Legend of Legaia/Legaia 2 did this with "Dual Arts" which was pretty neat. You have to input specific combos on the turn based battle screen to get them to work, but they hit like a truck

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yeah there are no online-only items in DS1 anymore. Every covenant with an online component can be grinded for instead. Co-op and invasions. They are actually arguably faster to do that way than online play.

It's still a dumb and obscure system, but really the only standouts are Darkmoon Blade (objectively equal at its most grindiest level to Sunlight Blade) and Sunlight Spear (worthless for PVP and most of PVE because it is so slow and has so few casts)

Otherwise it's all gravelord stuff which is just outright bad in comparison to pyromancy, which fulfills the exact same roles

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Darkmoon blade is better than sunlight blade when you're rankef up to +3 (that means grinding for 80 souvernirs of reprisal).
These are the exact numbers.

Sunlight blade: Magadjust * 1.8

Darkmoon Blade (per covenant level):
+0: magadj * 1.8
+1: magadj * 1.9
+2: magadj * 2.0
+3: magadj * 2.1

It also deals Magic damage, which many enemies resist more than lightning, meaning it ends up balancing out about even overall with Sunlight Blade, which is a set magadj*1.8 Lightning spell

That's another dumb part of the game, though: everything resist magic, which makes grinding for that powerful of a spell only slightly better than the option that requires killing the boss of your covenant. They scale off the same stats, so if you make DMB better, SLB gets better. There's no point in the game where you can really say "okay, I'm definitely glad I'm dealing magic damage instead of lightning", but there is an entire branch of the main game where magic damage is useless and lightning owns bones.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Oh word! I didnt think that darkmoon blade used magic, since it's faith based. Sunlight blade is probably the better option then (except for ornstein, and uhm like gwyn?).
But darkmoon talisman is still the best talisman, so for ~*~<*{lore friendly}*>~*~ reasons all proper aspergers should use darkmoon blade with darkmoon talismans.

This only applies if your FTH is around 40-50 though, because much like Logan's Catalyst, the overall scaling doesn't kick in for Darkmoon Talisman until a crazy high FTH. :v:

It's on paper better, but if you're just going for a DEX/FTH build to buff weapons you will probably stop FTH at 30 so you can get the majority of good scaling off FTH while also having enough souls left over to boost DEX. 50 FTH is more of a NG+ goal.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

umalt posted:

Plus, the changes between SR1 and SR2 Stilwater were meaningful in expressing the narrative of SR2. It got across that the Boss was locked away for a long time, it told you the motivations of the villains, and made you feel frustrated that the few places you have sentiment for were gone and that you felt like a small man in a large world. The move to Steelport had little bearing on the plot; other than creating a half-assed solution the old Metroid problem of "how do we de-power the player in a way justified by the narrative".

...and introducing entirely new antagonists, both in gangs and in military opposition, without belittling or ignoring the successes of the first game's triumphant resolution. It also added in new content all over the place as being specific to Steelport, still managed to have a variety of areas (albeit not as varied in SR2 by aesthetic alone) and gave you a real, tangible view of progress as you took over those new areas.

SR3 had weaker characters insofar as Shaundi changing entirely. Other than her it added a bunch of new people on the cast that stayed relevant through SR4, and were fleshed out in their own ways without killing off a lot of them. All without making you go through Stillwater, again, to revisit the same areas from 2 with token changes, which is really all they could have done since you singlehandedly destroyed the conglomerate which gentrified Stillwater in the first place.

SR3 beautifully handled the logical transition required after 2. It gets way more flak than it deserves, given that. Plus it made so many mechanics much, much better.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tiggum is actually just a man with very passionate opinions who literally can't understand why people would disagree with them

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Fine, but it'd better be one hell of a giant robot to make me go through that mission with the crappy music overlaying the awful combat section. If I wanted to gun my way through a bunch of regular-rear end human soldiers I'd play literally any other game, dammit. Non-tranq guns are for pussies too weak to hunt giant robots, dammit.

Oh, it is a great fight. You are going to enjoy yourself once you get there.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's a shame that those sunglasses ended up costing Kaz an arm and a leg

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

The two main issues I had with Gone Home were that the protagonists actions make no sense. What reason does she have for exploring the house right now once she's found the note (on the fridge I think?) that explains why the house is empty? Just go to bed.

W-what? Tiggum what the gently caress?

your dead and/or gay sister posted:

Katie,
I'm sorry I can't be there to see you, but it is impossible. Please, please don't go digging around trying to find out where I am. I don't want mom and dad anyone to know.

We'll see each other again some day. Don't be worried. I love you.

-Sam

Then you walk into a completely empty house, half the place is locked up, and there's a creepy voice message with a girl crying and begging for Sam to still be there. All this after your character has been gone in Europe for a year, and is just getting back home.

In what world is your first thought, at this point, "welp, guess my sister ran away or killed herself in the attic I can't get into, my parents are nowhere to be found, all three of which have been out for so long that they didn't even listen to my "hey I'm coming home see you soon" voicemail" so I may as well call it a night "

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

See, that was a really good setup and made me want to actually explore, and the atmosphere was pretty drat cool when you first get into it. Then it turned out that the plot was basically an afterschool special episode of some teen drama. Back when it came out if you didn't like it you'd get eviscerated if you said that because ughhhh you just hate it because it has a GAY WOMAN in it don't you!? completely missing the point.

A lot of the backlash toward negativity about the game came from a lot of people trying to objectively handwave it away as not being a good game (or game or a game at all) by some metrics they'd lay out as requirements to be A Good Game. They'd usually be things that would demand traditionally structured aspects of what games always have been, with none of them making a lot of sense and some of them even already being in the game (reward for deeper exploration being one that gets brought up, which in Gone Home is the story behind Katie/Sam's Mom, Dad, and whatever older relative was involved.) It ended up being two groups of people repeating the same points to talk past each other on what constitutes objectivity in game quality, with a lot of legitimate dogwhistle homophobia/misogyny going on, and arguably equal baseless accusations of homophobia/misogyny hurled toward people who really did just dislike that it was Walking Simulator 2k13 with christmas ducks, podcasts, and riot grrrl music.

A lot of this next stuff is just gonna have blatant spoilers for Gone Home in it so if you somehow are a person that hasn't played it but still really wants to, may wanna just skip it.

One thing that really dragged down Gone Home for me was that initial thunderstorm/old house opening. It sets an oppressive tone for the first half of the game, or however long it takes you to get over the expectation of jump scares or monsters. It has a few twists on this expectation that go nowhere, while opening up possibilities as to why your sister is missing. Did she kill herself? Did she run away because she was scared? Was she killed by that neighbor boy who is obsessed with her and wants to carry a printer over to her placeplay video games with her? Is there a ghost/burglar/monster in the house? Nope! Just hitched a bus to Vermont with her jROTC dodging girlfriend.

A lot of those above questions get toyed with, but nothing gets toyed with to a degree that they matter. There's supposed to be 4 storylines going on in Gone Home: Sam's disappearance, Dad's writing and traumatic childhood, Mom's feelings of neglect and potential affair, and Katie's motivations for searching the house for her family. Mom and Dad's stories take place purely in side content, which made it great to replay the game because I didn't even know or think about their stories, but there's just no sense of urgency after a certain point to look for Sam. It becomes a stroll from voice clip to voice clip while loving around with physics objects instead of a mad dash to find your sister.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMDaMK-9Tzc

Everdraed to the rescue again, showing what it could be with more urgency.

I laughed so hard during that, it's perfect :allears:

I still maintain that Gone Home would have been horror GOTY if it pulled a double fakeout on you. Instead of just being a Dear Esther style game of piecing together the story, or the original Spooky Monster/Ghost vibe it has going on, I would have poo poo a brick if I came down from the upstairs to find that the front doors were wide open and a servant's hallway/secret passage was opened up. Psycho House up on the hill has been left abandoned for at least a day, it'd be a prime candidate for a home invasion subplot.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

See, that's what I'd figured out (without whatever I was supposed to have learned from paying attention to the tedious dialogue).

Tiggum

For gently caress's sake

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you aren't hoping for a kill cam every time you punch a marauder so hard he explodes into gibs and scatters to the four winds, then you are the thing dragging the game down

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yeah Bro posted:

Who cares?

*makes sweeping arm gestures toward everyone else with similar complaints*

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Your point is "stop complaining about a AAA game's dialogue being worse than the game in the series before it, because I am cynical beyond all loving belief and nobody should try to enjoy these video games at all"

Seriously dude shut the gently caress up

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I agree with the people complaining about FO4, but for one very different reason:

I could replay FO:NV like five times because there were more options in ways to treat people and justify that with a made up back story from before I got my head shot by an rear end in a top hat I could choose to not actually care about.

FO:3 I did one and a half playthroughs because no matter what, I could not escape the Dad Quest constantly being something butting in on my casual romp through DC via dialogue or accidentally stumbling on quests.

FO4 being another Family Quest that's even more intrusive just makes replays more tedious because you get less wiggle room for playing with your imagination without Bethesda popping in to remind you that you're wrong, you cannot play as your original character Yonic, because you're actually playing as the dad from Heavy Rain.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That sounds poorly conceived, poorly designed, and would be impossible to implement well. If I'm in full stealth with nobody around, why the gently caress is this file cabinet lock alerting "guards" to my presence.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

if you fail a hack 3 times, the computer should wipe the drives and now you can't use the terminal.

i've always hated how locked doors and chests can only be accessed with lockpicks or keys. give the guy with explosives skills the ability to blast a safe open or the strength guy the ability to bash doors.

Oblivion was actually awesome because you could just magic poo poo open. I miss that skill. Sneak Mage with zero lock picking just busting poo poo open with magic.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

A good majority of those have obvious symmetrical solutions and obvious single pieces which go in the middle.

I liked those so much that I played the mini game that was exclusively those tile puzzles

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Except it literally does because the comment was talking about low drop rates and people were talking about games increasing drop rates?

To somewhere in the realm of 70-80% you dingus, not anything still less than 50%.

You could guaranteed pins in TWEWY from encounters if you dropped your level low enough

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Inco posted:

You're thinking of The Museum of Simulation Technology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfll06X16c

I would KILL for this to become a proper game with high levels of polish as long as two things were changed:

1. You can't interact with objects behind velvet ropes. That's just rude.
2. The puzzle rooms never explained, not once, any of the concepts.

"Here's a room. There's an exit. Figure out a way to gently caress with the game sufficiently until you can find the exit, or find a way to exploit the physics and forced perspectives to weasel around Rule 1."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Digirat posted:

She was a decent blank slate character earlier on, not very interesting but at least she was independent, and the fact that the character wasn't obtrusive helped the atmosphere of the prime trilogy. Then someone at nintendo thought it would be a good idea to hand metroid to Team Breast Physics.

Yeah, as mentioned Sakamoto is entirely to blame for Other M Samus being the way she was. He actually took the reins for the game in an effort to give a big middle finger to the Prime trilogy, as it didn't fit his "vision" for Samus when he made the previous games. So he made Other M, his official new-canon backstory for Samus.