Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm starting to get fed up with metroidvanias (horrible word, is there a better one?).

I'm pretty sure they used to use the genre "Action-Adventure" to classify the games that involve both action (platforming and combat) and adventure (exploration, discovery of new abilities and items).

My beef is with Lost Odyssey, an RPG I played a bit a few years ago and picked up used very recently. I've played a lot of console RPGs, and it's one of the last few I'm interested in but haven't played to boredom. I was interested because it follows a grown man who's lived for 1000 years, which is a blissfully mature concept in a field dominated by teenage orphans and untested heroes.

But this game has some of the most grating voice-acting and worst writing (general dialogue, not necessarily the dream side-stories) I've experienced in recent memory. It could be a result of a localization team trying to fit the original "acting" with the new voice actors, but it's deep in the uncanny valley. I'm not sure if a general screaming about keeping peace through power while an immortal queen moans her displease so much she faints is a parody of the genre, or if it's designed to compliment the story of a soldier who can't die on his quest for revenge. Also, see how "Immortal warrior seeking revenge" is a more engaging hook than "Immortal warrior and dofus companions help babysit his grandchildren"? I wish I had more of the first hook.

I'm only on disk 2 of 4, but I have a hard time picking the control up to play when I feel like the next story beat will be some more inane nonsense. I half expect the gang to pick up instruments in disk 3 for a jam session, considering how seriously the game seems to be taking itself.

tl;dr, Why can't RPGs be better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU