Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think they were making a joke about certain airborne diseases being called "X aids" on these forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway the complete lack of respecs + really limited upgrade materials in Bloodborne is a shame if only because there are so many cool weapons, it feels bad not being able to play with them more. There's some strategy in itself in planning out a build that can survive before you can beeline the specific weapon that makes it complete, but still.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Arthur Morgan is canonically an incel :colbert:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

credburn posted:

What's a boss run?

It's when there's a significant trek between the boss and the nearest checkpoint/bonfire, so for every shot at the boss you have to haul rear end all the way over there and deal with all the respawned enemies first.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I have been reading the long Bloodlines posts. I don't really have anything to add but I thought they were funny and insightful about a game that's fairly famous but not analyzed much other than being notoriously glitchy.

They did start to unearth some vague memories about the modding community being completely insane? Like there's one main community mod made by someone who is crazy possessive over anyone editing their work or there's two competing ones who viscerally hate each other or something like that?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Randalor posted:

I don't know about VtM's community, but are you sure you're not thinking of the drama around the KotoR 2 restoration groups?

beats for junkies posted:

The V:tM:B modding drama has been around for-loving-ever. Wesp's unofficial patch mod is the "good" one. Tessmage's unofficial patch mod is the one that has a dirty toilet texture named "wesp" in the file because that's the kind of classy fucker Tessmage is. That bit of trivia is probably 15 years old by now and may have been removed (or I've misremembered it). I think both of them started by trying to be a "pure bugfix" sort of mod, but, well, Bloodlines is 20 years old and people get bored and add new things over time.

IIRC, the KoTOR 2 stuff is pretty tame in comparison, though it was great when the 'new' restoration mod dropped, basically saying "gently caress those other guys for taking so long, we did it ourselves." But also, there's a reason a lot of the stuff cut from KoTOR 2 was cut, and there's no reason to pad out Nar Shaddaa (or anywhere else) with even more trash fights.

beats for junkies posted:

Either Minecraft or one of the Sims games (or maybe both) had mods that would crash your game if they detected mods from somebody the mod-maker didn't like.

And of course, one can't forget Arthmoor (though we all should), the Unofficial Patch guy for most of the last few Bethesda games. He also just changes poo poo because he wants to rather than for any bug-fixing-related reason, like removing some of the voiced lines in Fallout 4 because they weren't subtitled, so obviously they were left in the game by mistake. It's not the most egregious thing he's done, but it's a perfect example of his attitude - he thinks he knows better than the developers what should be in their game. He also made an Open Cities mod for Skyrim that added big ugly Oblivion Gates to all the cities. A goon (I'm pretty sure it was a goon) made a mod that just removed the gates and made Arthmoor so mad that it got taken off the Nexus (big mod-hosting site if anyone is unaware).
Yeah I think I'm conflating the Arthmoor story (modder gets Big Mad over someone editing his mod) with the Wesp and Tessmage one. The KOTOR2 story is pretty funny though, I think the same "sniping" drama happens for fan translation patches too. I feel a little sorry for them, but you kinda have to be a fool to believe that you can take all the time you want and nobody else is going to try the same thing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

credburn posted:

What's the difference between D&D and Pathfinder? I once asked someone and they said, "Same thing," and I feel that's not the correct answer.

Pathfinder basically started as the Project M of D&D. If this sentence makes no sense to you carry on and I'll accept my swirlie.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Dear video games developers, please stop doing this eye-adaption HDR effect.

https://i.imgur.com/RkPXX89.mp4

In Cyberpunk it is truly obnoxious, you can't see poo poo outside in the daylight if you're underneath an overpass or something.

In Uncharted 4 there is a short section in a wine cellar that was constantly flipping between actual darkness and movie darkness where everything is completely visible. I thought I was going crazy or the lighting was, but now I know, huh.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
There's also a bit of selective memory going on with Bloodborne environments. It wasn't spooky baroque churches 100% of the time, sometimes it was a generic forest or some caves.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
JRPGs and visual novels love ellipses for some reason...you can see the influence because some millenials never end a sentence with just a period...

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Street Fighter 1 is probably worse than 6.5/10 tbh.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Meowywitch posted:

I've never played gta5 but it sounds like a retirement simulator?

GTAV came out when Breaking Bad was huge so everyone is an aging man with a receding hairline who hates life. The voice actors really sell it but it looks weird in hindsight.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Slow cinematic intros were not invented because of the Steam refund policy, guys. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to do a reality check right there.

But I might be desensitized from Yakuza games where it can easily be several hours before you make a decision more involved than "press X for the next dialogue box"

Or the insanely long Windwaker intro where you spend the entirety of it without a sword.

mycot has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Dec 6, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Leal posted:

The poison swamp is also a multi phase boss

That's Bed of Chaos

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

bawk posted:

I think it was Bloodborne's DLC where there was more than one boss that had a full health bar, cutscene, second full health bar. Those carried over into the main game of DSIII, and it got so ridiculous that there was a boss in the first DSIII DLC who had three back-to-back bossfights/health bars to deal with, which was a funny middle finger to the player base but became a recurring problem

I might be forgetting a guy but I think all the Bloodborne bosses (including Ludwig, Maria, Orphan of Kos) are normal multiphase bosses where the phase starts when they reach a certain point on their health bar. Sekiro had multiple health bars for a handful of very memorable boss fights. Elden Ring is the one where they really went nuts and every boss is secretly two different boss fights.

So they mix it up a little more than people give credit for.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Tbf you only killed one god in 1 and arguably none in 2, the series kinda got memed into being the god killing series but it was only really a thing in 3 and the PSP games.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ookiimarukochan posted:

they sold more walkthroughs for Leisure Suit Larry than they did games and that changed how they made games

...were people buying spares?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Martial classes are actually the best classes in BG3 by a longshot, mostly because "extra attacks" and "extra damage per attack" are insanely strong in a turn based video game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
To continue the "missing thinga entirely" chat I never went up the stairs in the starting building and never found the second safe house. Which turned out to be a mercy.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ZeusCannon posted:

Double post but cant you pay real money for fast travel. Someone told me that and i thought it was loving satire.
It sounds fake because it is. You can't buy infinite crystals and you can't use crystals to Fast Travel in the way most people think of it.

Why is this coming up multiple times in one page.

mycot has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think it was always questionable but people just sucked it up if they missed half the lines. I remember Halo 3 having no subtitle option and sure it's not a dialogue heavy game but it did mean some of the Gravemind's lines are borderline impossible to understand within the actual game.