Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Bound By Flame is a budget RPG that has no shortage of things dragging it down, but it's the terrible combat that really stands out. You can quickly toggle between warrior and ranger style combat, the former being a more methodical style based around properly timed parrying and counterattacking while the latter is based more around getting in quick attacks and dodging effectively. Warrior style is effectively useless because it's pretty much only appropriate for 1-on-1 battles but every encounter in the game is a mob of 4-5 enemies and there's usually no way to lure them away from each other. Your best bet is to stick with the ranger style and try to eliminate enemies as quickly as possible, which is never all that quick thanks to the absurd amount of HP the normal enemies always seem to have.

To make matters worse, leveling up your character and improving your equipment provide no noticeable sense of progression. You pretty much have access to all of the skills in the game from the start so your skill tree choices are all minor upgrades to the skills you already have. Finding better armor never makes your character any more durable than a wet bar napkin and better weapons never seem to chisel enemy health down any faster. You fight the same enemies throughout most of the game but they scale up considerably so you end up feeling like you're growing weaker as you advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I know it's kind of lame to complain about trophies/achievements since they're completely optional and useless, but gently caress the drinking game in Watch Dogs, gently caress Ubisoft for loading their otherwise decent open world games with lovely mini games, and gently caress Ubisoft again for making you master them to get 100%. For those who haven't played it, the drinking game requires you to use the analogue sticks to guide a cursor into a little bubble where you have to maintain it for a few seconds. The cursor moves on its own and reacts wildly to your inputs, so getting it to hold still is hard enough. Eventually the game makes you maintain both the right and left analogue sticks and then starts doing poo poo like inverting your controls. The cherry on this poo poo sundae is when you lose the game dumps you off away from the starting point and makes you sober up before you can try again, and you have to play through several phases to get back to where you left off. You never really get a decent chance to practice because it takes a good 3-5 minutes before you can get back to the point where you lost.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

m.hache posted:

I wish I didn't have to do the lovely personal conversation between your two characters. I have yet to figure out what it's supposed to accomplish but it's always:

Player 1
Option 1 - Agree
Option 2 - Disagree

Player 2
Option 1 - Agree with Player 1
Option 2 - Disagree with Player 1
The bits where you get to role play the banter between the two characters is the best part of the game for me. I'm not particularly fond of the combat or character management at all, but if they could take the role play and quest branches from this game and drop them into a Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragon's Dogma clone I'd be all over it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I got Bound By Flame off of gamefly and i'm trying to play through it. I actually have enjoyed it so far and i'm at the end. Maybe its just me but I can not beat the final boss. I have gotten sort of close, I even had him down to about 10% health before I ran out of stuff. Theres no way to get any more and from what i'm reading online basically the only option it seems that I have is restarting from scratch and speccing better. I am not sure if I have the fortitude to do that though and i'm debating just sending it back.

As I was saying in the other thread, you may want to just drop the difficulty down to easy and tank your way through it. After playing that I wondered how anyone could ever beat that boss on the hardest difficulty so I looked up some Youtube videos. You basically have to spam him with about 600 arrows for 20 minutes.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I love New Vegas, but it does have a couple of lulls that drag it down a bit. I'm thinking of areas like Freeside which is an absolute bore filled with quests that have you doing little more than ping-ponging from one person to the next which involves trekking through a very large and very empty city with a few load screens thrown in for good measure. Then you have the whole Boomer area which is another set of boring quests spread out across a giant empty area. Even travel can get pretty dull without the sorts of random encounters FO3 had. There are long stretches where you won't encounter a single enemy, so you just trudge for several minutes until you reach your destination. These issues are less notable the first time you play but once the discovery factor has died the flaws become more apparent.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

dataisplural posted:

*like fifty freaking dweebs burst through the door at once to teach me about new vegas again*
I wonder if anyone would be interested in sharing how they think it compares to Fallout 3.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Thoughtless posted:

Skyrim's inability to let you finish quests in any other way than the intended. The daedra quests often have you doing horrible stuff, and while I like being evil in games I don't like being forced into it.
I love Skyrim but if I could change anything about it this would be it. The rest of the game gives you all the freedom in the world to do whatever you want to do, but the quests lack even a basic good vs. evil level of branching with only a couple of exceptions. My favorite example of just how bad this gets is the Boethia's Calling quest. I stumbled upon the Boethia cultists in my travels and they asked me to bring them a human sacrifice. I was trying to role play a mostly good guy so I figure I'll go ahead and slaughter the entire cult. I expected a nice little "quest failed" thing to pop up like it does in the Fallout games. Instead Boethia possesses the corpse of one of the cultists, chastises me for killing all of her followers, and proceeds to give me the quest to bring her a human sacrifice anyway.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

scarycave posted:

I could never do the quest where you had to kill Cass in NV.

The great thing about New Vegas is you could whip out your grenade launcher and murder Gloria Van Gaffe for even making the suggestion. If that quest were in Skyrim she would be immortal and you would have no way to get that quest off your to-do list.

\/ It is pretty loving funny, I'll give you that.

J-Spot has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Aug 11, 2014

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

cobalt impurity posted:

This is the kind of thing I want more games to adopt! If you want to just walk around and stab/shoot/magic missile people, the game gives you plenty of people to do so and sets up challenging setpieces to accommodate that, but if you want to ghost around and are very careful about hiding bodies in air ducts and toilets, you should be given the appropriate challenges. I know the reason this isn't more common is because it's essentially asking developers to make two games in one, but it's much appreciated when it is there.

This brings to mind what kind of drags every Ubisoft open world game down. They're desperate to check off the "play your way" box by integrating stealth and combat systems, but they never fully commit to letting you play your way. They put all those mechanics in the game and they can't resist forcing you to use them, so eventually there's going to be a mission that forces you to openly slaughter a million dudes or sneak through a location undetected.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Been playing New Vegas on PS3 and I'm wondering why they released this game if it crashes every two hours. I like Bethesda so I'm pretty used to games crashing but it just happens way too periodically on PS3. Maybe there's a fix that I don't know about :shrug:
If it's only crashing every two hours consider yourself lucky. Just wait until your save file goes over 6MB.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

im pooping! posted:

And I played through Fallout 3 on my Xbox and enjoyed it, but of course PC is better so I bought it with the Fallout bundle on Steam, and what do you know, after the opening video, the game crashes and I'm too lazy to figure out what's wrong with it. Kinda stupid when New Vegas works just fine on my computer.
I can only play Fallout 3 on my PC if I download the Tale of Two Wastelands mod for New Vegas and play it that way. It works out pretty well but there are some balancing issues in using the New Vegas versions of certain enemies like super mutants that you encounter much earlier on in Fallout 3, plus you have fewer perks and skill points to work with. It ups the normal difficulty quite a bit. You can even play in hardcore mode I think.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Alteisen posted:

I'm replaying Kingdom Hearts 1 in the final mix variation now that I have a PS3 and boy, this game did not age well.
I recently played through Kingdom Hearts HD myself and thought it held up fairly well once I adjusted to the camera and platforming controls. What really drags that game down is the level and quest design.

Destiny Islands: What better way to kick off a game than with fetch quests where the items are somehow hard to find despite the small size of the level. So I need to find three coconuts but the obvious ones that fall off the coconut trees don't count? Thanks for not explaining that at all.
Traverse Town: The game pretty much leaves you to wander around aimlessly looking for a way to advance the plot. The solution must be stumbled upon pretty much by accident.
Wonderland: This world essentially has two rooms that matter and yet still manages to be a confusing mess.
Deep Jungle: Start at the treehouse and then head to the camp. Then go back to the treehouse. Now, head back to the camp. From the camp, make your way to the treehouse. You'll need to return to the camp after this. Now, head to the treehouse where a cutscene will direct you back to the camp.
Agrabah: I would complain about how easy it is to fall in the pit, but if you never accidentally fell down there you wouldn't know you need to in order to advance.
Monstro: A series of interconnected rooms that all look nearly identical. Okay.
Atlantis: Sure, this level may have confusing level design and awful swim controls, but at least you'll have that Under the Sea song running through your head for the rest of the day.
Halloween Town: You don't need a save point anywhere but the beginning of the world, right?
Neverland: What the gently caress are you doing, camera?
Hollow Bastion: The level so nice they make you play through it twice. There's nothing better than watching Sora leap off the loving tower while comboing the various flying enemies in this world.
The End of the World: At least it's mostly straightforward, I guess.
The Coliseum: This is just a big arena where you fight enemies. It is the best designed level in the game.

By all rights this should be regarded as a terrible game, but the combat is fun and this is the only game in the series where the presentation absolutely nails the whole Disney/Final Fantasy crossover thing.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Len posted:

This is such a common feature in RPGs and it's easily my least favorite. The party enters this big city and goes "Let's go talk to X" and then you have to wander around this place you've never been to until you find the NPC to talk to. Alternatively cutscene magic puts you in the kings chambers and then you have to go talk to all your party members that have scattered trough the town.
Traverse Town in KH is probably the most egregious example of this I've ever seen. All you know is you have to find Donald and Goofy. You start off in the first district which has some NPC's, some inaccessible doors, an item shop, and an accessory shop. Most players will probably talk to the NPC's and check out the shops and then move on to the second district where there are actually enemies to fight. There are various places you can go from here, and every time you enter a new area a cut scene will trigger showing that you just missed Donald and Goofy which only serves to reinforce the notion that you are on the right track somehow. There are various objects and locations that are obviously significant but won't come into play until later, along with visible treasure chests that are just out of reach. It gives the impression that there is some sort of of puzzle that you're meant to solve, and you're likely to spend several minutes trying to figure out what you're missing.

What the game actually wants you to do is wander to the third district, then go back to the first area which will now be full of enemies. This should be a clue that you're in the right place, but no cut scene triggers when you beat them and all the inaccessible areas are still blocked off. You have no reasonable excuse to go to the accessory shop since you probably have already been there and determined that you don't want to buy any accessories, but that's actually what you have to do. You go in there, talk to Cid who doesn't give you any sort of clue beyond "keep looking," but then when you exit the shop you will trigger the cut scene that moves the story forward.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

2house2fly posted:

If you sneak kill someone and nobody sees it in New Vegas you don't get a reputation hit.
This is kind of inconsistent really. There are certain characters that everyone will know you killed no matter what. The worst for me was Pacer who actually has a quest that requires you to kill him with a plasma weapon to frame the Van Graffs for his death. I thought I had a clever solution in sneaking into his bedroom at night and planting plasma mines on the floor. I then hid in another room waiting for him to wake up and step on a mine. That worked according to plan, but somehow the rest of the kings not only knew that Pacer had just dies in his closed bedroom but knew that I was responsible and where I was hiding. Apparently the only way to successfully pull off framing the Van Graffs is to kill him out in the open during a side quest that I imagine most players would have completed by that point. This stands out as an especially specific and obtuse solution in a game that is generally very good about letting you devise your own way of completing quests.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I appreciate how New Vegas supports different character builds much better than FO3 but the latter is a much better action game. The thing that drags New Vegas down for me is the poo poo ton of quests where you just ping pong between NPC's and do nothing else of interest. One of the worst offenders is the quest G.I. Blues which has you go back and forth between characters in a giant empty environment that is sectioned off by loading screens. To do the quest "correctly" you have to go find even more NPC's to talk to. It's kind of interesting for exactly one play through since you're going around and investigating stuff, but on subsequent runs the amount of time you waste walking and looking at load screens really stands out.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm enjoying Rogue Legacy a good deal more than I thought I would, but the random selection of traits and classes got tiresome fast. Sometimes the game will just give me a useless selection of mages with near-sightedness and vertigo and I just have to go get them killed to get a new selection.

MindlessHavok posted:

Every outpost has a high hill next to it. Get a silence sniper rifle, take out the alarms then take out the soldiers. Even if you don't like being sneaky like that it's the easiest way to take them undetected.
Once you're far enough away you don't even need to worry about silenced weapons. You can stealth clear an outpost with a rocket launcher as long as you change positions after firing.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Dragon Age: Inquisition was the worst about this. There was just too much content, which isn't a complaint I thought I'd ever make about a game.
It's not just too much content, it's too much boring low-effort content and it's just thrown in your face. I think they really wanted to get on the Skyrim bandwagon but completely missed the sense of freedom and discovery that Skyrim provides. In the process they also managed to wreck their own formula by mandating the player do a bunch of side activities to progress in the campaign, completely ruining any interest I might have had in the actual story.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

The Witcher 3's durability mechanic is a bit of a misstep as well. It's expensive enough to be annoying but not so much that it adds to the challenge - even common crafting and shop items are more expensive than repairing your gear, and while you have to manage your income durability still doesn't have enough impact to force you into making compromises elsewhere. it seems to exist purely as a way of booting you back towards a town every so often because your sword has fallen apart.
I'm still early in the game and just started doing quests in Velen. The durability and encumbrance systems forcing you back to town is especially annoying for me as I haven't yet found a proper blacksmith in the area so I'm finding myself traveling back to the first section of the game to do my trading. Not giving the player a decent home base when they get to a new area feels like a pretty stupid design decision in my mind.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

All the traversal in WItcher 3 is starting to wear on me. Why did they feel the need to make you find a sign post in order to fast travel?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I thought The Pitt was pretty good but they hosed up by not having better quests around the mill/steelyard area. You can easily run in, find 10 ingots, and leave without really experiencing one of the neater locations in the game.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Lotish posted:

Nice. I'll try those. Is there one for Fallout 3? I picked it up in a Steam sale and am now trying to start a game, but I have crashed four times without even making it to the baby crawling stage.
If you're on Windows 7 or later you'll want to Google for whatever nonsense gets the game to run. Alternately you can download the Tale of Two Wastelands mod to play Fallout 3 in the New Vegas engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

RyokoTK posted:

I just got to Old Yharnam in Bloodborne and the part where the guy is shooting a machine gun at you is really annoying. Then I found a way to climb up the tower and confront the guy and he just kicked my rear end. So I guess I'm going to tolerate being shot at. :sigh:
As soon as you get up there just start shooting him until he falls off. You won't be able to collect the prize right away but if you warp out and come back it will be at the top of the tower.