Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I generally enjoyed South Park: The Stick of Truth for some reason they went way overboard with the combat system. There are all kinds of status ailments and various abilities you can use but the enemies just don't justify it. They're almost all extremely simple and can be killed just from regular attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Splinter Cell: Conviction, after you finish the opening stage they put you on a plane and give you a big map with quite a few options, a couple of which are side missions. What the game doesn't tell you is that you shouldn't do those side missions because you won't have anywhere near the proper equipment for them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

Do you mean Blacklist? Conviction is the 24-knockoff with the sweet co-op and Deniable Ops mode that will lock equipment from your characters who have gently caress all to do with Fisher until you progress through the main game and unlock those weapons in the story mode.

Oh yeah, that's right. Conviction is also the one where they were all "Sam isn't with Third Echelon so he'll have to improvise tools" and that lasts all of one mission before things are right back to the normal stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently he was also put off by the increase of violence in the series. While Sam has always carried guns they were mostly a last resort and if you constantly used them you were playing the game wrong.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that's annoying about FFXIV is when the story missions force you to do dungeons, which are all instanced and require a certain party make up. It brings the game pretty much completely to a halt as you're stuck in a queue waiting for the duty finder to get you a party.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also they're pretty clear upfront that killing cops who are chasing you doesn't actually accomplish anything. I haven't finished the game but so far the only time I had to get into a shootout with cops they were quick to point out that they were crooked. For the security guards there's usually a non-lethal way to do their areas. Either through just camera hacking or stealth takedowns, which knock out.

Another thing about Watch Dogs is that you can actually shoot enemies without killing them. The game makes a distinction between "neutralizing" an enemy and killing them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of weird that its actually worse for you if you do an area by completely avoiding guards. You actually want to stealth takedown to get the most XP.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something kind of annoying about Watch Dogs is how the rewards for doing side things quickly become pointless. You're getting anywhere between $100-5000, except that random people can have up to $10k on them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of boss fights, I really disliked the Iraq boss fight at the end of Act 3 of Watch Dogs. Mostly because guys kind of spawn in at random and if you die you're for some reason sent back to the start of the encounter where you're stuck listening to Iraq go on and on for a couple of minutes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I actually didn't have any problem killing Iraq himself. I was actually kind of surprised when it happened since he just pops up out of nowhere. I hit him a bunch of times in the face with the ACR. His armor buddy was the annoying one. I got him by just trying to keep cover between me and him and throwing grenades.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Talking about Watch Dogs reminded me of one of those terrible things that seems to be creeping into more and more games, the "Heavy Armor" enemy type. Basically any game that has semi realistic combat where a headshot takes a guy down instantly ends up introducing a guy who is nothing but a bullet sink.

You end up wondering why you don't just take that guy's armor since it seems to make him nearly invincible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Watch Dogs there's a multiplayer mode called "Decryption" which is basically a version of capture the flag where you can steal the file back by just being close to the enemy. It also has a percentage that goes up based on how long the file is being held and whoever has the file at 100% wins. The problem is that this number stops going up whenever someone uses a blackout or com jams item (everyone gets one of each and they refill when you die and respawn) and you can end up with a match where everyone just spams either of those at the end so nobody gets the 100% and the game times out. 11

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the point about the recharging was just how effective the melee was kind of makes the game super easy if you just abuse that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing the PS4 launch game Knack and its gimmick is that the main character can grow bigger by adding more of these "relics" to his body. You'd think something like that would be tied to a progression based system where the further you get in the game the bigger he gets. Instead its just kind of random throughout levels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hel posted:

How do you interpret "Darker final outcomes" as anything other than the "bad end"? even if just in comparison to the "normal" ending.
I don't know how people get the high chaos ending without trying anyway? killing every other person you meet seems like a lot of work.

There are those pillar things that you can hack and on the bridge level they can kill a lot of guards.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Power_of_the_glory posted:

To be honest, Torment would be a better game if it had no combat. In general, I wish RPGs would place less emphasis in combat. It always felt absurd to me the amount of people you kill in open world rpgs such as Fallout 3 and Skyrim. To me combat should be a last resort in these types of games and there should be more emphasis on non-combat solutions to problems.

The problem with Torment is that it used AD&D 2nd Edition, which is really not designed for the kind of character the Nameless One is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I kind of enjoy the parts of Muramasa Rebirth when you're killing enemies but so much of the game is just running around empty screens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You should be able to just go online to whatever store is relevant to your platform and download the online pass because they made it free shortly after the game came out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

FF7's dialogue and writing in general is pretty bad and uneven by today's standards ("Let's mosey", "He are sick", etc.) but it's still better than a lot of JRPGs from that time period. If you really want to see a bad translation try playing the original Suikoden or Final Fantasy Tactics, where the word "breath" was translated as "bracelet" across the board.

Reading about the way that they did translations back in the day it's kind of amazing that most games a were even comprehensible, a lot of the time the translator just had a huge text dump and had to translate everything out of order with zero context. They did voice acting the same way, which is why Deus Ex's lines like a "A bomb!" seem so incongruous with the scene they're supposed to be in.

Doesn't Suikoden 2 have a sidequest that they didn't finish translating?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Especially because after a certain point you realize that Alma won't actually ever hurt you. So every jump scare with her is rendered toothless.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Bee posted:

You say this like FF8 doesn't have literal goddamn hockey players as enemies.

One thing I liked about 8 was getting rid of getting money from monsters. Its never made a lick of sense but everyone does it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I gave up on The Witcher as Geralt was more interested in playing Michael Flatley rather than hitting enemies with his sword. And why does he need two swords anyway?

The steel sword is for humans while the silver sword is for monsters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Namarrgon posted:

The Darkness 2 is an overall pretty fun to play despite it's lackluster story, setting or characters. In combat you use your guns and your demonic shadow tentacles to rip apart your poor chanceless opposition. Unfortunately, the button for in-combat healing (eating hearts, you obviously have to be near your fresh murder victims) is also the same button you use to swap your weapon for whatever was lying on the ground. The result is that any slightly challenging combat quickly results in poor me having completely lost oversight to what weapon I am carrying or how many bullets I lucked into them. I prefer using pistols with high-damage accurate shots but instead I routinely found myself holding nothing but sub machine guns and with flashbangs and teleporting enemies it is not very easy to scour the battlefield for your long lost weapons.

The thing that drags down The Darkness 2 for me was losing Kirk Acevedo's voice for Jackie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't played the game since it came out but there were a couple of things that really dragged State of Decay down for me. Like the entire real time aspect where things took actual days to do and if you don't play for more than a couple of days when you turn the game back on bad things will have happened to your characters. The base building stuff was kind of annoying because even the biggest base wouldn't let you build all the upgrades.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Taeke posted:

I remember that murder mystery being bugged to all hell, so the majority of people couldn't complete it regardless.

There were a couple of Skyrim quests that were all bugged up for a while. Like the werewolf quest sometimes would mess up so you couldn't complete the questline and cure yourself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird thing about Sleeping Dogs' story is that quite a bit of time was passing through the story but the game was really bad about conveying that to the player.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The other thing is that like 20 years pass between the start and end of the game but nobody really ages at all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been playing Rogue Legacy and it's kind of disappointing that at least 3 of the bosses are all almost exactly the same. I've beat the castle and the forest bosses and have gotten to the Maya one and they're all just big round floating guys.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I find annoying about DE:HR is just how long the game takes to reveal that Megan is still alive when it's super obvious from early on that she didn't die.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Make separate sports for aug-people
Also make separate sports where all drugs are legal so I can watch a man run 100m in 6 seconds before dying from organ failure

There's a newsticker on a TV in DE:HR that mentions an "Aug Olympics" so they do have that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Diablo 3 it always seems kind of goofy how your damage is linked to weapons being equipped when pretty much half the classes don't actually use them in combat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They do a lot of emoting through their bodies because until fairly recently videogames couldn't really do anything but the broadest of facial expressions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

The endgame in Wildstar is too drat hard. I thought all that "hardcores only!" hype was just big talk, but no, it was actually true. I'd bet the majority of their potential player base doesn't consider that a good thing. I haven't played an MMO endgame since WOW TBC, but for reference the max level dungeons in Wildstar are tougher than most TBC heroics, and they gate the rest of the PVE endgame content that isn't just grinding dailies indefinitely.

There's an image floating around which has a list of all the things you need to do for Wildstar endgame and it's just stupid long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The entire fart mechanic in Stick of Truth was kind of stupid and pointless.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

You have to admit that "murder hobo" wouldn't look as good on a resumé.

Actually that kind of reminds me: Borderlands 2 has characters constantly being impressed that I'm a "vault hunter" without really ever making clear what that means or why it's so special. It seems like anybody could call themselves one.

The Vault Hunter stuff was from the first game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Esroc posted:

One of the better mods for Skyrim adds in three or four NPC adventurers like you that you can run randomly into out in the wild questing. It was nice to enter a dungeon only to find the Vampire nest inside already wiped out by a guy just as decked out in gear as you (why is the PC in Elder Scrolls games the only dude with decent gear in the entire world?) picking their corpses clean of loot.

The original Stalker game tried something like that, with the added part of the NPCs would also do story bits but realized that it was kind of annoying to be playing and have everything already completed by an NPC.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hirvox posted:

This is true in the PS4 version too. They could actually use the touchpad for more than a big gimmick button, but.. :effort:

Nah, the touchpad on the PS4 controller loving sucks for mouse movement. War Thunder uses it as a mouse replacer and it's garbage.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Destiny has got to have the worst loot system in any game I have ever seen, it makes Diablo 3's early days pale in comparison.

The top loot mostly boils down to grabbing something called engrams, either blue or legendary purple, sometimes you'll see a green engram but that usually just gives you a straight up item, so one would think a blue or purple engram would ID into something of those respective colors and or rarity, but it doesn't.

For reasons I cannot comprehend a blue engram can ID into either a green, a blue or a legendary or a class item(random class to boot), purple engrams can ID into all of the above, as well as an exotic item, so in other words a legendary dips into 6 possible item pools, how does that makes any loving sense given how rare these things are.

But its not all bad, I did finally get a legendary chest piece, for a completely different class that I'm currently using. :iamafag:

Actually it's even worse for purple/Legendary engrams as they can also turn into high level crafting material. I got my first purple yesterday and it turned into 2 Motes of Light. They really need to cut the drop down a rarity level stuff because it's just frustrating. Especially when you're first getting those drops.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

I can't stop laughing at this sentence, whoever thought this up is the worst game designer.

It's just one of those stupid game things, like flashlight batteries lasting 30 seconds.

Something annoying about Destiny is how much the progress slows down when you get to level 23. You're too high to get any real progress from Blue equipment but don't regularly get enough Purple to outfit yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also, just read that Bungie is patching Destiny next week to change the way Engrams work. They'll no longer give an item of lesser rarity and are supposed to be adjusted so that they more frequently give a higher level one instead. For example, I've played the game for over 30 hours and had the higher level thing happen exactly once.