Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Garden Warfare 2 is a quite fun game, I enjoy the actual playing of both the multiplayer and the group up and fight off AI waves part alot but the unlock system and collectibles are really, really annoying.

You get coins for playing matches (more if you win), the single player missions, killing big stuff in the backyard that serves as a hub and quests and then you use those to buy packs which unlock stuff (you can also buy coins because this is a modern game) and straight up unlocking a new subclass costs 75000 which takes around 45-60 minutes of matches to get roughly if you also grab some quests. Trouble is the subclass you get is completely random so I now have 4 subclasses for a class I don't particularly like, you can get cheaper packs but they only unlock parts of a new class instead of the whole thing and there are something like 40 subclasses for each faction.

The collectibles are a similar sort of problem, there's a bunch in the hub area and then a bunch more spread out through the various maps and modes but there's no indication that I can find of how many you've got so it's one of those ones where you basically have to start with a guide and not collect any before then. I'm not usually one to bother with collectibles unless there's some easy way to get them on your map or the reward is suitably cool, I assumed for this game that the reward would be shitloads of coins and maybe a unique customisation but I looked it up and it's 100,000 coins so enough to buy a subclass unlock and decided I couldn't be arsed.

thebardyspoon has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Are those health draining enemies anything like the ones in Bloodborne that raise your frenzy meter for being near them?

I still haven't gotten past the nightmare frontier because of those things.

They feel worse but they killed me less than those brain things did (as in, the frenzy thing killed me). The ones in DS3 just drain your max health down as you're in line of sight of them, seems to have a minimum though and they're pretty lovely enemies so killing them is trivial, just makes a slipup more costly.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One of my favorite moments in games is at the end of the first Max Payne, where you're going up a skyscraper towards the villain, and just absolutely wrecking the poo poo out of everything she throws at you. About halfway there, she's on the loudspeaker all "What do you mean he's unstoppable?".

Followed by trying to kill you with a helicopter.

Breen ranting about you to his Combine soldiers in Nova Prospekt is my favourite instance of this in games I think.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Bloody Paper Mario is the weirdest series. It's like, Nintendo gets a lot of stick for rehashing the same game over and over again (which is fair enough on a surface level for a lot of their games) and for some reason they seem to have decided that Paper Mario is the series that gets a complete overhaul with every game when most people who like that series just want another one like the N64/Gamecube ones (I also sort of want a Paper Metroid game with the same turn based battle mechanics and aesthetic but I realise that's an insane dream).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So the aim of NMS is to buy it when it's a third the price and has three times the content?

I noticed that Mankind Divided has a Season Pass. While I do have high hopes for the game it seems impossible to justify spending extra money on sight-unseen content. What are the worst excuses made for a Season Pass?

The Doom one is probably one of the biggest season pass blunders I've seen in awhile, in that they seem to have completely bet against what people would enjoy and like more of from their game. I've heard the multiplayer is ok but not anything you'd actively seek out and the playerbase will probably be pretty small in short order so it just seems misguided.

I've never felt they've been great value, only bought two at full price if I recall correctly and both times by the time the stuff had all come out the pass had gone on sale once or twice anyway.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I didn't like the direction Fallout 4 went in and didn't even finish the main quest but it was quite popular (I assume, didn't see any articles saying it had broken records or sold insanely high but I imagine it did about as well as Bethesda were expecting it to do), in any case I'm expecting that to be the Fallout series core gameplay going forward (and Elder Scrolls as well) and for them all to double down on the crafting/building your own town poo poo.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The devs must have heard this criticism right? Have they responded at all, everything I've seen of that game (and experienced, played it for a little bit when it first came out) has made it seem like a game that should be great but for a few decisions. Seems easily fixable and they could just make it a toggle you select early on if they want to preserve the original version for the "hardcore".

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If you turn it off then it's pretty much exactly like Blood Money to be fair, I mean you're right in that they designed the game around having those on because that's how games are these days but turning it off just means you have to figure it out yourself exactly like you want. Best of both worlds IMO.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

Dishonored 2 again

I just feel like the game should be focused on specific person being a badass and not about their dumb intimate personal details.I know that's sounds hypocritical due to Corvo/Jessamine, but then again that's the major story element so imo it's different. I think my problem is that I played DH1 so much and she was a kid, so like... it seems forced that they had to specify that she's now AN ADULT and has A BOYFRIEND. I just feel it's unnecessary. note: I am not a creepy jealous crazy weirdo because it probably sounds that way, I'm just a weirdo nerd

Unrelated, the voice actor for Corvo bothers me because he really pronounces 'sh's like, "sszzshhip". It annoys me significantly.

Do they ever specifically mention that it's a guy? Lots of people in the Dishonored 2 thread were saying it's left ambiguous. In any case it didn't bother me really, it's in a letter that nobody is supposed to be reading and if you read old correspondence like that there's always dumb poo poo in there, people being people.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

strange was a really terrible fake out since the whole game built him up to be some mastermind behind the whole thing. the big mystery was gonna be how he knew about batman's secret identity.

Oh ra's al ghul told him? how intriguing.

No? He worked it out, he tells you that and taunts the Riddler with the fact that he just figured out who Batman was in his interview tapes with him. He only came into contact with Ras after having figured it out I think, I guess they don't really go into it in great detail since he dies about 10 seconds after the Ras teamup is revealed. They definitely did under use him in Arkham City though, I will agree with that. The opening scene is great, the trailer they had with him was fantastic for establishing him as a threat, the voice actor was awesome but then they had him do nothing for the entire game and just had Joker be the main man again, quite disappointing at the time.

After Knight though, I've come around on the Arkham game plots as they're basically an entire series of 4 games all about Batman and the Joker and their relationship which is kinda neat and they do some interesting stuff in that playspace. I just hope whatever the next Batman game is the Joker is kept in the background or not in it at all.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

wafflemoose posted:

Dead Space 2 on Steam has that same problem. They packaged the DLC for free so as soon as you come across your first store you have access to all these free suits and weapons. Kinda ruins the tension of a survival horror game.

Yeah when I wanted to replay it I tried to find like a mod or edit to get rid of them but in the end just couldn't be arsed and replayed it on the 360 instead. They either clutter up your inventory/cache or you sell them all and instead have an insane amount of money, guess I could have bought ammo and just fired it or something but it's so dumb. Just let me turn that poo poo off. Most of that DLC is just you get one weapon slightly earlier or some completely meaningless passive trinket thing but that's the one time I felt it really unbalanced and hosed up a game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Morgana being a huuuge piece of poo poo to Ryuji in Persona 5 bugged the hell out of me. That wasn’t really presented as friendly ribbing but the game still felt like it expected you to agree with Morgana even though he was just being an rear end in a top hat for no reason.

God Morgana was the worst.

Yeah I can't remember specific instances but I definitely wanted a "shut the gently caress up Morgana" option in a lot of scenes.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I actually used them quite a lot in Sekiro, there's a lot of bosses later on where there's a lull between phases where you can jam one down quick and have a bit of an advantage for 30 seconds. Still at the end of the game with about 80 of each though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Gitro posted:

well maybe they should write good code instead

haha sick it just both deleted local content AND won't start the dl because of disk space, a very powerful combo indeed

Yeah Total War 2 is the one game on steam that I just uninstall and reinstall when it gets an update. No matter how much space I have on my drive it always says it doesn't have enough to start the update, it's quite irritating.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

1stGear posted:

Talk to the guy on Giant's Deep one more time.

They mean like, "I am here and this thing is going to be navigable in 5 minutes, let me just skip 5 minutes" not restart the whole cycle again. Basically wants the phantom cigar from Phantom Pain. It'd definitely help, the amount of times I've been standing around waiting for a thing, gotten bored and started jumping around and then accidentally killed myself is pretty high.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I've tried to find a fast way of getting health back in Medievil 2 given the problem with health fountains not regenerating and it seems the best best is speedrunning the first level, dodging enemies when I can and just finding the three health vials. It's just going to take so long and I hate that design decision.

Can't you just buy health vials from the spivs? Don't remember money being massively useful for anything else in those games (has been literal decades since I played 2 so forgive me if you can't buy health vials in 2, definitely can in 1).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Bogmonster posted:

So I'm still cracking through Jedi Fallen Order on PS4, and there's loads of little bits that are annoying me.

It's the first game I've seen in ages where I regularly see enemies in T pose when I load in.

It's really dumb that the metroidvania style picking up of new abilities is that the main character, Cal, just sort of remembers that he used to be able to double jump and wall run and stuff. I'm sure there is some force excuse but still.

It's supposed to be him getting over his trauma and undoing the mental blocks that he has regarding his jedi training I think.

Will be weird in a sequel when they make him lose all his abilities again and then he flashes back to the first game when he needs to remember how to do stuff like that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Ugh, Persona 4 not telling you that, unlike the rest of your party members, your main character dying instantly game-overs battles is just... Aaaaaah... Why....

Yeah it's really annoying, still the case in P5 and P5 Royal as well so they just really like that mechanic.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

With your protagonist dead you're probably not long for the fight anyway, so it's just more efficient to put you out of your misery and let you try again.

Nope, quite often I could just use a revive item or recarm on them and be fine since my entire party is at full health and the enemy just got a lucky crit that knocked him down and then an all spell that finished him off. It'd be fine if it just set off a timer, like hey you have 3 turns to either finish the fight or revive them and you're done, as it is it's just annoying especially with how long some of the boss fights can be.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Lobok posted:

Is that why? Good lord. Well, at least if it was in reaction to something like that I can fault them less because until now it had been a baffling decision. But man, if you find yourself needing more health as a player than invest in some drat health.

Yeah it's an interesting one. Personally health options are generally the last ones I go for unless, as you say, I'm having trouble. I'm much more likely to go for an option that unlocks a cool new move or functionality though.

The problem with the Arkham Origins method was you literally had to get the health ones first so it was really boring to me. As someone else said they should have just had the initial first couple upgrades give a health upgrade along with whatever else they gave and made the tree similar to City.

Leavemywife posted:

A lot of gamers (Jesus, I hate that term) don't realize that they suck at some games and just bash their heads against a problem until they force their way through, and then blame the game for their dumbass behavior. I recently played through the first two Arkham games and I got my rear end kicked a lot, so I bought health upgrades, and tried to get better at combat (as in, not trying to beat every opponent to their attack and realizing that my combo level wasn't all that important).

Well there's also the problem that a lot of people will play a game in a way that is very unfun in the name of efficiency or whatever and then say the game is boring. Personally I always give everything a go in a game with the option to do so (if it's not forcing you to pick a class at the start or whatever) and try not to get stuck in a rut, even if whatever I'm doing is working. Obviously an ideal game will try and push you out of your comfort zone and mix it up rather than rely on you to do it but some people will resist any attempt at that so seems tough for devs sometimes.

Luckily I don't make games so I don't have to worry about it really. Seems like a tricky balance.

thebardyspoon has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Jun 20, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Changed my mind about the best model for the Green Lantern game. It's Bayonetta.

They sort of did that, there was a movie tie in Green Lantern game that was a character action brawler type thing and not utterly terrible.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah they had like 300 employees and an office in San Francisco so they were just hemorrhaging money and like Shai-Hulud said, decent money isn't doing it when you have that sort of situation.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm hoping she'll show up to save Ethan and Chris near the end of Village tbh in the same way Chris showed up in 7 since she's the other original character. Hopefully Ethan is a bit more fun in Village at least if not.

It's weird they keep giving Chris such prominence AND making him so dull. They always give Leon good fun lines and have him seem like he's enjoying himself and Claire and Jill got the same in their original games and especially the remakes. Chris just feels like default protagonist man to me which works in a group but not so much when he's solo.

thebardyspoon has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Oct 5, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

I've been replaying New Vegas after Hbombs video and man, The Outer Worlds really needs a deep-dive by someone. That game came and went and soon I'm worried that no one will even remember it outside of confusing it with Outer Wilds. It's so bad.

Yeah, I'm a complete mark for those sorts of games, I enjoyed Fallout 3 quite a bit though it obviously isn't on the same level as New Vegas and I put 35 hours into Fallout 4 despite seeing it as one of the most disappointing games of all time for me but the other day I was looking through my epic library and saw I had played Outer Worlds for 8 hours, shelved it, and never felt any impetus to come back. It struck me "man, I cannot remember anything about that game except one of the companions seemed like she'd be kinda fun in a much better game".

I think the thing that really killed it for me was having levelled up a couple times, just looking at the available perks I had to pick from and not being excited by literally any of them.

An aside, something I realised playing through Cyberpunk and has been hammered home this year, one thing I'm really done with in games in general is inventory systems, management and comparing loot type poo poo. Unless the game is either really, really good and justifies the time investment of doing that just by that poo poo not dragging it down enough to mar the experience or they do something worthwhile with it which is rare.

Like Cyberpunk, nothing was added by having so much poo poo to sift through, Nioh 2 was a game I really enjoyed despite that stuff adding so much admin, etc. I'd prefer a lot less loot dropping that has really meaningful differences so instead of dealing with that poo poo for like, a minute or so every 10-15 minutes it's instead, 3-5 minutes every hour or some poo poo. If you must have it, let me mark stuff as I pick it up as junk and give me a sell all button or just let me instantly turn it into money/materials right there.

thebardyspoon has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Jan 13, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah the little hints and buildup you get from stuff in the 3 other dlcs were really cool, I was sorta hoping they'd let you build Ulysses in the character creator and go through some events as him to build his personality and backstory the way you wanted or something.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is that on a harder difficulty or the default?

Is the game interesting enough in terms of story/characters/etc to potentially be worth putting the difficulty down if that’s the situation on default?

Asking cause I got that game on sale, in a real D&Dy mood and am just playing through Deadfire, thought I might try pathfinder next but maybe not if it does require that sorta play style even on normal. There are other older games I could replay instead.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

Whats dragging me down is they still forgot to include a post-game item that points out where the figaments you're missing are because holy hell some of these levels are absolutely sprawling and missing 1 of 206 is just brutal.

Yeah I finished the 3rd level and was missing 1 figment and was like "ah, that's a part of Psychonauts I remember but wish had been forgotten". I'm hoping it was beyond the grapple point I found that needs a skill to reach, just got that skill so if I do fancy getting all of them I can just go get it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Dear CRPGs that are based on/inspired by D&D, most recently Pathfinder War of the Righteous: Stop swamping me with single-use spell scrolls. I don't want them. I absolutely never want to use them. I've already got plenty to do keeping the couple dozen spells and abilities of all my party members straight, and I've largely picked those myself. I absolutely cannot be arsed trying to track another thirty completely random spells, making sure they're equipped to people who can actually use them, and then keeping in mind which are still available and which I've used already.

These days I just treat those like a power up that I just chuck at the next enemy asap or sell them. They are a pain in the rear end to manage though yeah.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I like it when the skill points are new abilities, features or big mechanical changes and just putting points into that stuff also gives you the boring +% stuff as a side benefit.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's been years since I played that game but doesn't his hubris lead to a real bad situation/immediate humbling when the dragon smashes them into the other realm or something cause he was so busy being a little poo poo that they got distracted? Then that kinda makes him realise he hosed up a little and he doesn't wanna be that guy? It felt like the mythological equivalent of "don't touch the stove" and then "and that's why we don't touch the stove" and that he got over it quicker than Kratos did when he was younger was supposed to be a sign that his mothers influence had given him a bit more maturity.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Randalor posted:

Something that's kind of dragging Elden Ring down for me, but I have a feeling I'm just missing something: Playing through as a spellcaster, and I find the first spell merchant. Great, time to get better spells! ...except that they all seem to be worse than the starting Pebble spell for damage and the Pebble spell can be chain-casted so I can fire off several (each one for more damage than the charged version of the spell that fires 3 homing projectiles) in the time it takes to cast most of the other spells twice. I also found the first scroll, but those spells specifically say they're meant for more melee-and-magic builds in their description, so fair enough.

It is really hard to tell if a spell is just bad or whether it's situational cause it hits in a certain way or does good stagger or has a different element or whatever. Also hard to tell sometimes if it'll get better with more investment or if it just bad.

I completely forgot to upgrade the thing I used to cast incantations for quite awhile so I was like "I've been putting points into faith and all these things do very little damage for how long they take to cast". Got a lot better once I did that but there are still some that just seem awful regardless.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

The worst part of that whole Goldmask questline for me was how after all that chasing around the ending you get is just a wet fart in comparison to, say, following Ranni's questline for her ending

Yeah basically all the endings aside from the two "weird" ones are pretty dull, pretty much the exact same thing with a different bit of dialogue and filter over the sky. The other two are interesting/ominous at least though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah since Kyle's story is mixed up in Luke's New Jedi Order he doesn't really fit in anymore.

Another thing that's kind of dumb about Arkham Knight is the idea that Scarecrow develops a fear gas that goes through gas masks and protective clothing. I can see that being an issue for normal people but come on, like Batman wouldn't have some kind of special biohazard suit. A good percentage of his enemies like to throw around mind control poo poo.

Batman loves gambling that he can take it and then visibly recover in front of the villain who used it on him cause it really shits them up when he does that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

To the second part, that’s really what I have issue with. If they’d left it more open-ended, the story definitely still works, but they didn’t and they cut it off in a way that feels pretty unearned. It’s not like this was the endcap of a trilogy about fatherhood and family or anything, Ethan wasn’t “the father” in RE7, he’s just some guy.

Eveline was trying to make him the father of her new family in RE7 with Mia as the mother. RE7 and Village are definitely games about fatherhood and family, I'd say the degree to which they got that across could be argued but it's there.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Pingiivi posted:

The last God of War was really solid and the beginning of Ragnarok was cool. Now I'm like ten hours in and there could be really cool stuff in the side quests, but jesus loving christ I'm absolutely done with these repetitive puzzles. All these side areas (and some main ones) feel like complete filler.

I am enjoying the game quite a bit ultimately but yeah there is a fair amount of "did this need to be in here?" sections especially in the middle third.

There's one side area in one of the realms that I got to just from one side quest, when I started exploring it I figured it'd be a small area but it opened up into a huge area with about 10 or so sidequests just contained within it and none of them have any big insights into the characters or the world or whatever. I basically spent most of a session just doing stuff there and at the end of it wasn't sure why I'd done that.

In the 2018 one you usually got an item reward of some kind and some narrative reward like Mimir telling you a story about what a piece of poo poo Thor or Odin was in some way relating to the area the sidequest had taken place in and I actually enjoyed the subsequent storytimes you got with Atreus and Kratos asking him stuff while traversing the world. In this one, cause they spent the last game building that stuff up, it feels like they didn't feel the need for that in Ragnarok so a lot of the side quests feel a lot less impactful, to me at least. You just get a piece of armour that probably won't be better than what you have or if it is, that isn't entirely clear and swapping it out and upgrading it and all that poo poo is just gonna be a hassle.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SiKboy posted:

In fact, that whole section Ironwood could easily have been half the length without losing much. Did we really need to go very slowly gathering like 3 seperate vegetables in the same swamp? Theres a difference between "A quiet respite in the action" and "Killing the pacing stone loving dead".

Yeah this section is loving baffling to me, it feels like a middling DLC you'd get in the 360 era that was just an expanded chunk of one bit of a game with a side character that you'd get for like £3 and go "that was alright I guess?".

In fact it feels exactly like the DLC for Assassins Creed 2 which was chapters 12 and 13 of the main story that got cut in the original release and then sold back later (they might have been free, not looking it up) and if you played the game for the first time with those installed you just did them at the appropriate points in the story but even if you didn't know the development backstory for them, they felt weird cause they introduced no new mechanics and were just the game spinning its wheels for two chapters essentially, so you could see why they got cut.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It was Mortal Kombat where the devs said they were made to watch videos of slaughterhouse footage and things like that to understand how meat actually tears and really get that slightly unnecessary level of detail.

Fear or Dead Space were a little bit before that sort of fidelity became possible as well, the last couple MKs have really pushed the envelope. The devs coming out and saying "hey, this caused me issues" is what made it bad imo, if only slaughterhouse workers could get some cross training and become animators I guess.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I remember constantly being annoyed that it messed around with your weapons without warning. I'd get off my horse for a fight midway through a mission and instead of whichever long gun I thought I had equipped, it'd turn out I had an entirely different one that was not what I wanted.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Given that Kratos' late wife was a frost giant, he should be hauling a big-rear end sack of dust through Midgard.

Speaking of, who was Kratos even avenging in the first place? Since he 100% killed his practice family I forget what Ares had to do with anything.

He was a jerk protagonist in the first 3, he did kill his wife and child but he did it either in a berserker rage brought on by his pact with Ares or it was an out and out illusion or he just didn't give a gently caress cause it was just another village he was raiding until he realised it was his and he'd killed them, I can't quite recall the exact details.

I think regardless of which it was he then blamed Ares and the other gods for toying with the lives of mortals and took it out on pretty much everyone in his quest for "revenge" including innocent boat captains and all sorts. Then other revelations in 2 made him go even more kill crazy and start killing gods other than Ares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ah, that makes more sense as a motive for a protagonist. It has been like 17 years since I played God of War 1 so I think it's fair I don't remember the full details.