Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

A recent Terraria patch added fishing to the game.

No video game ever has benefited from having fishing in it. Fishing is a boring as gently caress chore and has no place in video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Jastiger posted:

Black gulch! :argh:

:smug: Black Gulch owns you are wrong :smug:

But seriously, Black Gulch isn't that bad if you know the layout and just rush though it. The really poo poo zones are Bright Cove Tesldora and Iron Keep.

Bright Cove starts off with the dumbest "boss" in the entire Souls series. He's no threat at all, and doesn't even drop a boss soul. Then, you have the stupid mages with homing missiles that can change directions on a dime. After that you have tons of lovely spiders that love to get off free attacks that just chip away at your health. The second half of the level has several spots that just completely block you from coming back the way you came, and to do everything in the level you have to bone back to the bonefire several times.

Iron Keep is just long and not very fun capped off with a really lovely boss.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Lotish posted:

Tying in with this, I think big 2nd boss would be better received if, after you beat him, he reverted back to whatever he was that the first, smaller boss beat. Something like a flaming Garl of Vinland duel over a firepit could be pretty cool, and might make the overall fight more on par with Smelter.

The 2nd boss would be better received if he wasn't a huge joke for magic users and a joke for melee that takes three times as long to kill because he decided to use flame breath 8 times in a row.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Romance options in pretty much any video game are really, really awkward.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

All the drat guns in Arkham Origins. Guns in predator areas are fine, that's what predator areas are about. But every fist fight in the game seems to involve a gun or five. It's really tiring trying to get across town to solve Riddler puzzles and poo poo and you end up in a fight with 5 armored enemies, 4 guns, 3 shields, 2 knives and a partridge in a pear tree.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Judge Tesla posted:

Go away Demons, I'm trying to mine Hellstone and not burn to death in Lava, the Underworld in Terraria sucks, best of it is, there's a nasty boss fight down there too, apparantly I have to build a gigantic bridge to fight it properly too, so that'll be fun.

Oh my sweet summer child. Just wait until all the bullshit bosses after the wall of flesh.

Hardmode is coming.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I really want to like Dark Souls II, but there are so many annoying little things dragging it down. I think the worst one of all might be Agility. In the original Dark Souls, you could roll at three different speeds based on your equip weight, with the faster rolls having more generous invincibility frames. In DS2, there are two speeds, and the limit for the faster one is pretty generous (which I like), but the number of iframes you get is now based on your Agility, which is increased by putting points into Adaptability and Attunement. Which basically means your roll will be completely useless for dodging attacks until you sink 20 points into a stat that does basically nothing else (or 40 points into a stat that increases your spell slots).

That wouldn't be so bad in and of itself if 90% of the bosses in the game weren't of the "attacks do absurd damage, have insanely long reach, and are incredibly difficult if not outright impossible to block, but really slow, so you can dodge* them!!" formula. The caveat being that you have to dodge it absolutely perfectly, or else you'll roll through the attack, then get hit by hit a quarter of a second later when you're three feet away. And it really doesn't help that a lot of bosses have really wonky or outright glitchy hitboxes. (Thanks for flattening me with the invisible force field projecting from your sword, Smelter Demon. And then teleporting me halfway across the arena for no reason.)

And if you can't increase your Agility at all? Ahahahahahaha. :unsmigghh: gently caress this gay soul level 1 run. Why must the Deprived be so lovely? Why are my only one-handed weapon options a dagger, a broken sword, and a ladle???

Isn't the adaptability stat dump specifically to gently caress over low level runs like SL1?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Judge Tesla posted:

Hard Mode in Terraria really doesn't gently caress around, the very first night in hard mode I have a Blood Moon event and my house gets attacked by dozens of Wraiths, Unicorns and Werewolves, two ingame days later, a Pirate Invasion happens, and on the same day another Blood Moon happens!

I'm enjoying the new enemies and things to craft but, holy hell is it tough.

It's funny because after obtaining the high end gear and weapons, those blood moons and invasions become tedious as hell. No real threat to you, but you either have to build special housing to prevent your NPCs from dying or go hide for the duration.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Some dumb idiot posted:

People have probably already bitched about this but jesus christ the final fight with Bane at Blackwater.

Having to fight off like 10 guys while the camera spins around wildly trying to track Bane running around doing his best train impression would be bad enough if him hitting you didn't take out 1/4 of your health. (That also doesn't even refill fully when you die and retry.) Its the fact you have to use the Arkham series's completely unreliable dodge mechanic to actually avoid it and the fact that if Batman dodges only just out of the way, Bane does what no other stupid charging boss gimmick ever does and actually homes in on you to hit you. :argh:

Origins managed to take all the worst boss fights from previous Arkham games and somehow make them worse.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Recently finished Dark Souls II and Bioshock Infinite.

There were only a couple of things I disliked about DaS Dos, chief amongst them was the Old Dragonslayer boss fight, which I thought was really lazy. Actually, most of the bosses in the game were pretty loving unmemorable. The only fun fights in my opinion were The Rotten and the Undead Chariot. I had to look through wiki just now to remember the boss fights which should give some idea of how lame they were. I've heard NG+ is fun though so maybe I'll keep playing, but I doubt that I'll give it the same attention is gave to DaS.

Lazy? It's an intentional callback to the previous game while hinting at the setting for the second game. It's also a great fight and you're crazy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Byzantine posted:

Horses went extinct (in North America at least) after the War in Fallout.

Motorcycles/the car would be cool, but I can't help but think some flavor would be lost if you go barreling down the highways running over bandits and ghouls and deathclaws.

Fallout 4: Borderlands

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

gently caress the camera in Metal Gear Rising.

No, I don't want to face that empty stretch with no enemies. I want to face the 6 enemies about to pound my face in.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

50 Foot Ant posted:

One of the things that drags games down is the goddamn playtesters. poo poo that was good was cut out.

Which leads me Left 4 Dead 2. Playtesters whined and the adaptive scripting for maps was removed (At least this was what was being said at the time, maybe it isn't true). If you don't know, it was this great poo poo where depending on how good you were doing was which routes opened up and which asset drops were on or off. This led to not being able to just memorize the fastest/easiest path and just twitch your way through. A small, easy example is on the first level of The Parish. When you go into the corner diner, there may or may not be a door behind the counter. If the Director is pissed at you (you're doing great) it'll be closed, and you have to go around the cover and take the longer route. If you're getting stomped, it's got a chance of being open and thus reducing your exposure. It made for great, dynamic maps, but at the last second it was cut from the maps because the playtesters cried that they had to explore, ran the risk of having to double back, and felt like it was unfair. On some of the official maps, if you open them up in Hammer, you can see the triggers still there and disabled. If you reenable them, the whole goddamn game changes, with alternate routes and trying to decide: Do you take the risk to see if the shorter route is open, or do you stick the longer route and play it safe? Playtesters dragged the goddamn game down, even the multiplayer.

I can't speak for it personally, but Valve is one of the few that really does well with playtesting and if the playtesters didn't like it it probably wasn't good.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The problem with the Dishonoured low/high chaos system is that a lot of people just assumed it was a moral/immoral system. At no point does the game congratulate you on using the nonlethal options or tell you that what you did was morally justified. People just got hung up on thinking nonlethtal meant good. You have to think about in terms of chaos. If a highly public figure is publicly executed by a masked teleporting assasin in the middle of a party filled with politicians that is going to cause some chaos. If instead the public figure quietly dissapears to rape island without anyone knowing where she went or see what happened to her it's going to cause rumors. If Corvo flies around beheading guards everywhere he goes there will be more corpses, which will mean more rats, which means more plague.

If they keep the system in the sequel they need to be much more clear about how what you do affects public perception and the chaos it can cause so people don't bitch about the good/bad options not making sense.

Doesn't the heart tell you that guards are basically normal people doing their job? Like, good honest family men?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Paper Diamonds posted:

Assuming your goal is to get straight into a mission, and not have a 20 minute car chase to the other end of the map, 60 seconds of outsmarting AI really isn't that bad.

Thing can still be dumb and bad and not be as dumb and bad as other thing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Paper Diamonds posted:

If you do not enjoy avoiding/outsmarting/outrunning the cops then perhaps "Cops and Robbers: The Game" is not for you.

All this boring turn based poo poo is really dragging down Civ5, ugh.

Standing still for 60 seconds in an action game sure is the fun part!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Paper Diamonds posted:

Also Sleeping Dogs is a terrible game and I only could stand about 30 minutes of it before I turned it off for good. GTA 4 and 5 are leaps and bounds better in every way. HtH

This statement tells me everything I need to know about you. (You have really bad taste)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Alteisen posted:

Hell not even later in the game, do taxi fares till you get like 12k, should take you like 2 hour or so, buy the 7k house near downtown, save your game, head for the horse races, bet your change on the 20 to 1 horse, keep reloading till he wins, do this twice, you'll have like 8 million dollars before you've done a single mission.

And since we're bitching about GTAO, gently caress the character creator, I mean if you can even call it that, just mess around with these retarded sliders till you get something that sort of resembles a human female or male.

I'd call Max Payne a lot of things, wisecracking sure as hell wouldn't be one of them.

Do work for two hours and then save scum to start having fun!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bioshock 2 did improve on Bioshock a lot but it didn't really do anything new with the series which is why it is often overlooked.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I got The Last Remnant on steam during the summer sale. I figured it'd be a jrpg along the line of final fantasy. Well it's a jrpg, but the combat is really weird. Instead of selecting commands for your characters like attack, magic, item, etc. you group your characters into units and send orders for the units. I'm sure I'm doing everything half-assed but I've been getting some progression in.

The thing dragging the game down are the dumb rear end rare monsters. In the middle of a dungeon, sometimes a rare creature will spawn. If you engage it at the level the dungeon is, you will just get wrecked, easily. They have like 20 times the HP, do tons of aoe effects, and are really loving strong. Now I can understand having your rare creatures be stronger, but what the gently caress is the point of putting them in a dungeon 20 levels before you can fight them?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Byzantine posted:

It's really petty to complain about something that is extra content and doesn't hurt the game, but the overly-specific civs in Civilization 4 and 5 just rub me the wrong way.

Like, Byzantium was not a separate "civ" (though it pains me to say it). It was Rome in the medieval era. If you play as Rome, change your religion to Christianity, and move your capital to a new city called Constantinople, then BAM you're Byzantium (and especially the Byz of Justinian and Theodora's day, where Latin was still the official language).

Or the Holy Roman Empire. What the hell is the Holy Roman Empire if you're on a map with the Germans AND Romans AND Christianity is 4000 years in the future?

Brazil? Really?

Denmark and Sweden are TOTALLY SEPARATE on the scale of this game, guys, honest!

America is just as bad; they do have the excuse that it's the most powerful empire the world has ever known, so it'd be weird to totally exclude them in an empire-building game...still, Cavemen Yankees?

It'd be a pretty sparse game if it only included civilizations that were around for the entire span of actual civilization.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

SiKboy posted:

But there were people in Brazil having a civilisation every year there were people in the region we would call Germany today, so what's the difference?

They weren't white?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Random Stranger posted:

Not really. People reached northern Europe almost a hundred thousand years before they reached Brazil. But complaining about this in a game as broadly abstracted as Civilization is just silly.

Civilization games only span like 7000 years and the early stuff is hugely glossed over.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Oxxidation posted:

I got Max Payne 3 for $5 a while back and finally gave it a spin. The first five to ten minutes was a "Max is sad and drinking" montage. The opening for the first stage was a "Max is sad and drinking" montage. Then I went through some bad, sluggish combat, and was greeted with a "Max is sad and drinking" montage. All of this laced with enough awful political commentary to choke a canvasser.

I always knew MP3 was a mess, but this just takes my breath away. It's like everything bad about Rockstar condensed, under the skin of one of my favorite game series.

Yeah, Max Payne 3 is a piece of poo poo. First, it's 30 Gigs. You need 30 gigs when you stuff you game full to the brim with cutscenes. And when you launch the game for the first time, before you can change any graphical settings from the lovely default ones, you get a lovely 10 minute cutscene. After that, you can set your graphics and start the game, where you get another 10 minute cutscene.

After getting through that poo poo, the combat felt really off. People say MP3 has amazing combat but I couldn't get into it and the other poo poo really put me off so gently caress that game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Wandle Cax posted:

Max Payne 3 is really good and probably the best third person shooter of its generation, anyone who doesn't like it is a big dork.

Perhaps you can explain why. Perhaps using a 20 minute cutscene.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Dr Christmas posted:

Blizzard patch days. They just released an update for hearthstone containing a bunch of battles against overpowered AI opponents based on WoW's Naxxramas raid. Since these fights award cards to your account, you have to be logged in to battle.net to fight them. So I'm getting several seconds of latency on a single player game.

Are you able to play on patch day? If yes then it's a really tame Blizz patch day.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Tiggum posted:

That's why I'm playing it on PC.

This is silly the keyboard is such a poor tool for most types of video games.

JebanyPedal posted:

The original Far Cry is piss loving hard.

Yeah it is. It's one of the first FPS games to use checkpoints instead of quicksave/quickload and it was too early for the regenerating health era.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I'm replaying Final Fantasy VII to get my old jprg nostalgia kick, and I have to say, the minigames really drag it down. Motorcycle riding, chocobo racing, snowboarding, pretty much everything has really lovely controls and isn't fun.

The dialog is also super terrible.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Simply Simon posted:

It's terrible and I can't stand it. Am I missing the easy option somewhere because I've seen nobody else complain about it before, or did the nostalgia set in for most before they tried optimizing stuff even a little?

I can't imagine trying to play FF7 for the first time these days. It's a good game for the era it was made, but it has not aged well at all. I think a lot of the stuff that drives you crazy is ignored because of nostalgia, yes.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

FF7 is weird. It seriously feels like Midgar and the rest of the game don't belong in the same world.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

DStecks posted:

I will never understand the people who thought that Mass Effect 2 was in any way inferior to the original.

But but but they took away my freedom to drive a lovely buggy on a barren planet looking for copy and paste mining nodes :qq:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh, yeah, been a loooong time since I touched the original but I played Dawn of Souls recently and really loved it.

Although ME had copy-pasted worlds and bad inventory management, the proper solutions to those problems were not to throw away any and all sense of exploration and wonder, and to do away with the inventory completely, respectively. Mass Effect was a wonderful huge ridiculously great game brought down by a couple of negatives; Mass Effect 2 was a pretty generic squad shooter which was mostly average but elevated to excellence at a couple of points anytime Mordin was around.

Yeah, besides bad shooting, terrible inventory, copy and paste planets, the terrible buggy, convoluted plot and elevators, ME1 was perfect :rolleyes:

I don't understand why everyone thought ME1 had these rich space exploration side to it. Every planet was basically the same. At least ME2 had the decency to have good shooter mechanics.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Action Tortoise posted:

Mass Effect 2

Mining minerals is dumb and tying it in to the survival of my crew is dumber.

I won't defend the making GBS threads mining minigame in ME2, but it was still a step up from mining in ME1.

Also, the party members in ME2 were way better than the ones in ME1. Except Jacob. Jacob sucked.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Mass Effect 2 seemed to flounder when it wasn't about the shooting. Mineral-scanning sucked and the hacking-minigame prompted many reloads. The vehicle sections were actually pretty fun though, and that Overlord mission, where you pilot the hovercraft in the pretty scenery between shootouts with the Geth, is probably the best part of the game.

Hacking and mineral collecting sucked even more in ME1, which sucked at shooting on top of that.

I almost never did ME2 because ME1 is such a slog. While some of you say you enjoy aspects of ME1, it's such a miserable game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

2house2fly posted:

Some of you claim to have enjoyed Mass Effect 1, however I did not enjoy it so you must be lying.

Not saying people are lying, I was just posting my experience in response to those saying ME2 was a disappointment for them. From a technical standpoint, ME1 is just not that good at many of its aspects.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

SpookyLizard posted:

This is a thing more games need, instead of being focused on making cinematic action setpieces where you get to be Jason Statham or Bruce Willis or whatever.

Not really. Not every game has to be open world. Some on-rails, set piece to set piece games can be really, really good games. Just look at Bulletstorm.

Different strokes for different folks.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Skyrim is the Obama of the Elder Scrolls series.

It's not great. It's not bad. Lots of people hate it just because it's the most recent.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

SpookyLizard posted:

I would be okay with it if people would be more aware of why and how it's good instead of it getting glossed over for other, less good video games.

Yeah, Fallout New Vegas sure is a game that didn't have a lot of success...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

SpookyLizard posted:

That is not what I said nor what I meant and your sarcasm is only helping you to miss the point.

FO:NV is the perfect game for story telling and all other games should aspire to be just like it we get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

SpookyLizard posted:

my name doesnt have a space in it

the point im trying to make is that is sad/disappointing/horrible that instead of trying to do new or interesting or otherwise different things many many games are just trying to be movies

which is dumb

Some games try new things. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes games don't try new things. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. There is plenty of room for both types of games.

Also, NV is well polished and all, but I'd hardly call it innovative.