Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mister Adequate posted:

I want to storm through the Andes as the avatar of Quetzalcoatl as we invade for the glory of the Emperor and to acquire sacrifices to stop the world dying.

Quetzalcoatl is an Aztec god and the Incans were in the Andes :colbert:

This is why we can't have nice things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

They should have the next Assassin's Creed game take place in 1890's Minneapolis.

Ugh, Minneapolis is too mainstream.

How about something like Fargo or Bismark?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Namarrgon posted:

No trust me I'm plenty good at shooters and there was one mission where I actually could aim, but for most of the game the cursor doesn't respond to the mouse, or goes in the other direction or decides it doesn't feel like shooting today. It doesn't apply to everyone, but it is common enough that it is a known problem. It's also not going to get patched. Basically means I'm poo poo out of luck.

e. Found a fix. Pressing a sideways movement button after entering aiming but before shooting seems to temporarily work. However, the controls of the game in general are still terrible and I do think unfixed rather critical bugs count as things dragging the game down.

Gonna join GrandpaPants and say I had zero control issues for the game. It might just be you.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Look, I just want to forcibly break into people's homes and rob them of everything they own to further my own personal wealth but I don't want to be a bad guy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

Yeah but Phobo's got it right with the writing. Dog Eyes felt like a proper antagonist and so does Pendrew.

The other thing that felt off from Sleeping Dog's tone was the dating side stuff. They're so vestigial and once you get the in-game benefit from dating a girl they're gone from the story. Emma Stone even voices the first girl you date, that seems like such a waste to cast someone notable for a bit part.

On the other hand, the dating poo poo from games like GTA is really awful and it was nice to see that in Sleeping Dogs it was basically one mission for each girl. Also, Wei is kind of a psychopath that probably wouldn't make for a healthy long term relationship.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

LoonShia posted:

That would be awesome and you know it.

Eh, if it was just the New Vegas setting, Rockstar would manage to poo poo it up.

"Hey Courier, you want to go bowling?"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Thoughtless posted:

Terraria has some bizarre design choices. After you beat the boss in hell, you go into hardmode. This creates two "invasive" biomes, which spread aggressively and will destroy all the natural ones, depriving you of a lot of resources you need.

How do you combat this? You dig a three-block tunnel straight down to hell. Two around every chunk of land you want to protect. This is incredibly tedious, even in a game mostly about mining. But that's not enough! You also get mobs that spit the corruption over your tunnels so you need to build walls too. Still not enough? As you progress in the game it'll randomly spawn hidden blocks of the invasive biomes, probably inside your painstakingly quarantined "good zones", and you'll have to find and isolate those too which takes insane amounts of effort.

It feels less like I'm playing and more like I'm working now, except I'm not getting paid. So that was how far I got.

Killing hard mode bosses significantly slows down the spread of corruption/crimson/hallow.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I think Deus Ex and stuff like X-men want the opposing viewpoint to see augments/mutants/etc. as no longer human, but completely fail to convey what it means to be human.

Would you accept robotic arms if it meant you could never feel someone else's skin forever? That every time you touched a loved one they would just feel cold metal?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

HMS Boromir posted:

Dark Souls isn't unpausable to make it harder, it's unpausable because it's a multiplayer game and it's easier to leave it at that than to go in and code it so you can pause as long as nobody's in your world or currently trying to get into your world. It's laziness rather than malice, really.

It's not even really that lazy. How many multiplayer games allow you to pause?

If not being able to pause prevents you from playing Dark Souls you are doing yourself a disservice.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Or you own a dog, or have a small child, or need to answer the door, or something else. Not being able to pause is loving rude.

e: If you're playing an explicitly multiplayer game, that's a different thing, but playing Dark Souls isn't really the same thing as a Call of Duty match.

Dark Souls is a multiplayer game. It's not a conventional multiplayer but it is multiplayer. And it's been said that you can quit the game and re-enter it at the same point.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

If you can quit to title at no cost whenever you like, why can't the game just have a pause feature? It's still dumb.

Why doesn't World of Warcraft let you pause?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

tsaofen posted:

Oh, I know it's my fault in the end. I kind of only realized the game wasn't Fallout 3 during the last level. The rest of the time I spent exploring every nook and cranny expecting some unique tidbit to pop up.

Still kind of drags it down to put me in a Sierra Games situation where I have to basically restart the game on account of not saving a rat at some point.

No you were right, Metro games should be explored. It's just kinda weird how you didn't have filters. I must have had over an hour worth of filters by the end, and I explored quite a bit.

You were taking the gas mask off underground, right?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

There's an image floating around which has a list of all the things you need to do for Wildstar endgame and it's just stupid long.

Unsurprisingly, it's reminiscent of this TBC attunement chart

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's a ton of stuff in Sleeping Dogs that make it obvious that they had to scale back late in development. All the relationships, the last third of the story, the radio being glitchy as hell, most of the side missions, floating poo poo in side areas, the list goes on. It's a good thing the game is fun and interesting enough to make up for it but I really wish that they had been able to spend more time polishing the game before release.

If the relationships in Sleeping Dogs were broken then all games should break their relationship poo poo. Doing one date type quest to get a decent perk is way better than doing tons of lovely date quests for a questionable perk.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Not saying FF8 was any better of course.

Put draw on each of your characters, use the healing spells that every boss conveniently has on them.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

To be fair, if every boss in Diablo 3 had a loot table like in WoW, people would very quickly be done with the game, like other dungeon crawlers, Diablo relies upon random drops to keep people hooked, and even when legendaries do drop, you have to cross your fingers that it's any good to start with. :v:

Diablo 2 worked liked that and it's not like people didn't log a billion hours into that game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

SpookyLizard posted:

God-for-loving-bid that people play a game and not get to experience 100% of the content in a single playthrough. poo poo, missing out on content I only heard about in the ending slides of new vegas had me hunting around for that poo poo, plus other, additional content I might've missed. Which I think is cool. Some people might people might be miffed at the idea of things happening without them, like the entire world is akin to that stupid cat in a box, and can only be resolved or have poo poo happen directly in front of them. Some of us find that missing out on content is cool because it makes the world feel alive, and that you're not the all important plot advancement device.

Which would actually be a neat sort of game, wherein you are the only thing can affect the plot, and have agents of various out to use you for your own diabolical ends, because they're powerless to do anything of any meaning without you.

I fail to see how stuff in New Vegas is at all different from the stuff in Skyrim. Caesar and the NCR are sitting there staring at each other for an eternity until the PC decides to do the quest.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The really hidden stuff in Darks is really, really well hidden though. I don't know how they expect you to be able to find the Painted World on your own. I missed going back to the Asylumn the first few times I played.

I can understand returning to the Asylum. I can understand Ash Lake. But painted world? How do you not find the painted world if you do even a minimal amount of exploration?

Edit: Oh man I'm totally dumb. I forgot you had to pick up the doll at the asylum to get to the painted world. I really should go back and play more Dark Souls :(

kazil has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Oct 19, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Who What Now posted:

The Deathstroke fight was really cool right up until two minutes in when you've seen the entirety of his patterns.

Even then, Deathstroke was by far the best boss fight in the game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Every boss fight would have benefited greatly by being about 1/5 as long as they actually turned out to be. They're cool for like a minute and a half, tops, and then they all just turn into you doing the exact same thing over and over again with no change in animation or anything.

The whole series had lovely boss fights, really. I wish more of them were in the style of the Deadshot fight (which still sucked, but I'm talking more the general idea) or the Mr. Freeze fight from Arkham City, where you can do your own thing to bring them down instead of a long series of canned animations.

Funny you mention these two because Mr. Freeze is by far the best fight the series ever did and Deadshot is the worst.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Hell, I think it would be pretty cool to have a mission where you tail a car from the rooftops towards it's destination to then either do an Air Assassination or even take him out with a rifle. And then have to escape somewhere into the urban jungle.

It's not necessarily Desmond people hated, it's that he never did anything interesting or memorable.

"Desmond, you must follow this car. You must do it undetected. You have to remain within 20 yards of it at all times to hear the conversation."

*Desmond just runs up a building for 20 minutes* Mission Failed.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Assassins's Creed: Oregon Trail.

Mary died of dysentery. James died of hidden blade.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

All games should cater to my particular tastes and there's no room in the market for multiple approaches. Also, there should be no agreement or compromise between factions and this derail should continue on.

I've been playing the original Prototype and I think it's kind of a fun open-world beat-em-up game but holy gently caress am I sick of the missions. Every mission devolves into you vs 6000 enemies with rocket launchers and knock back attacks. It seems hi-jacking military vehicles is the only reasonable way to complete anything.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

DStecks posted:

Tiggum is getting bitched at because he's saying that broadly employed design concepts, which for many people in the thread are a big part of why they enjoy video games, are lovely because he personally does not want to play a video game more than once or use GameFAQs.

So what that's the point of the thread just let it go already.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

smuh posted:

can we possibly perhaps never again talk about missable content in videogames please

You could say that no one would miss this derail :rimshot:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The sheer number of mediocre games that get a pass because their badly written knock-off wannabe Hollywood movie story is "so good" while a game like Alpha Protocol just kinda got slammed because the gunplay is wonky while having one of the deepest branching storylines ever done and actual meaningful choices is really frustrating.

Like Alpha Protocol has sold around 800,000 copies to date, whereas the new Tomb Raider gruesome outdoor death simulator sold over a million copies in 48 hours and has sold nearly five million copies total. Seriously, that game sucks, it's all linear and QTE bullshit and has none of the exploration or excitement that made the series popular.

Sorry but Tomb Raider, as a game, is way way better than Alpha Protocol. Tomb Raider has the best bow and arrow in pretty much any game, and the shooting isn't bad either. AP, from the amount I was able to get through, plays like hot garbage. I'm sure the story is a lot of fun but the game part of it is terrible.

(The hacking minigame in AP is also the literal worst hacking minigame of all time)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

death .cab for qt posted:

Some bosses didn't even get proper introductions. Like Smelter Demon? Literally in a hallway leading into the second half of a large room, he doesn't get a boss arena, he gets a vestibule. It's like bumping into Satan for a boss fight at the breakfast nook in a holiday inn

The fight is supposed to be cramped. I don't think Dark Souls fans even know what they want from Dark Souls bosses any more.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Complaining that Smelter Demon is bad and saying Flexile Demon is good :psyduck:

Calling an intentional throwback to DS1 a boring color palette swap :psyduck:

Dark Souls 2 has it's share of problems but you guys are insane. Bad bosses are poo poo like Old Iron King and Royal Rat Authority.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

All bosses in DS2 should have been Ornstein and Smough

Edit: Anyone who defends Capra Demon as anything but a piece of poo poo fight is crazy. DS1 also had tons of poo poo like the Hellkite Wyrven, Ceaseless Discharge, and Bed of Chaos.

gently caress, I mean 3 of the bosses were literally the same dude.

kazil has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Nov 4, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

death .cab for qt posted:

Nah, Capra is a well-designed fight.

I don't want to make this personal but you have the worst opinions ever.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Vanguard Warden posted:

I've been playing La-Mulana lately. It's a great game, but a lot of the puzzles are solely difficult because all of the hints for them are in completely unrelated rooms on the other side of the map.

La Mulana is annoying as poo poo because often the only way to advance is to break a random wall with your whip but the game teaches you early on that randomly hitting walls with your whip can lead to you getting zapped and then killed.

Also the entire game is designed with having a guide. Otherwise poo poo is impossible.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Whatev posted:

Have any of the ACs actually improved the overall gameplay after 2? It seems like they keep tweaking and simplifying functions in ways that make the games more unwieldy and boring while ignoring the series' real problems, which mostly revolve around the combat being piss easy, clunky poo poo.

The real problem with the AC games is that they are wildly successful and nerds think that Ubisoft is going to magically start catering to them at the cost of all the casual fans.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Inco posted:

Fishing is boring and annoying in real life, so I don't get why developers keep putting it in their games. I don't understand the rationale behind completely breaking the flow of a game for garbage. This applies to any lovely minigame segment, but fishing is always the worst.

This and also lockpicking.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Luisfe posted:

Zelda Ocarina of Time fishing is fantastic though.

This comes up every time fishing does and one game having sort of decent fishing doesn't excuse the countless amount of games that have really lovely, time wasting, boring as gently caress fishing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not sure if the problem with that game is that it put way too much emphasis on grinding or just that I sucked at it.

Rogue Legacy gets way, way, way easier after you've bought a good amount of upgrades. The early game really sucks balls though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I could never figure out how to get more than a few seconds on that. It seemed like if you slowed down at all then the timer reset.

It's a timer to see how long you can drive at max speed without crashing. It's super easy to abuse if you just hit the highway that runs all around the city.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

natetimm posted:

Why do the weapons in Dark Souls 2 break so quickly? It's annoying.

Are you on PC? The degradation is tied to frames for some silly reason. That said, it's not that big of a deal outside a few weapons and situations. It just means you need to be hitting a bonfire more often.

And oh yeah. Swinging through corpses will really, really degrade your weapon. Don't do that.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Counter-point: dark souls. And possibly system shock 2, stalker shoc, thief 1 & 2, jedi outcast and of course; deus ex. That about sums up all the good games in existence.

Edit: forgot Iji by Daniel Remar, and everything by Matt Thorson before he sold his soul to adult swim.

Counter-counter-point: Unclench your butthole and learn to have fun with other games.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

It's almost 2015 why in the gently caress do FPS video games still bind crouch to c?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

So you want a true pirate sim, but don't want to have to hunt down ships for their plunder? :crossarms:

Also, I have a ton of time in Black Flag and never got half those bugs.

You should also buy Sid Meier's Pirates!