Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
Mario Kart 8, Great game, really fun. But here's my sticking point. I have two daughters and they love playing the game. They are quite young. The two of them play together on 50cc with Easy Com and they both come in 1-5th place. Pretty good. So I pick up a controller to join them, and we keep it at 50cc with easy coms. But I jump into first place because Easy coms and 50cc is way to easy for me and the game just decides on the fly to ramp up the difficulty. If I play with my daughters they will always come in 11th and 12th place because the WiiU decides because I am good enough for harder racers then screw the kids. It's pretty lame, My daughters still love racing with me, but for Christ's sake why can't they just let me race way up front and let them have fun instead of slingshotting every com player 1 lap ahead of them? Or take 2-5th place and have them on my rear end and leave the rest in 50cc Easy land? If they absolutely must punish a guy for playing below his ability level. It gets to the point where I want my girls to hit a dude with a shell, so I have to stop playing. Boo, Nintento, Booooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
I normally hate PvP, but in Destiny it actually seems tolerable. I suck at it, but even as bad as I am I can usually hold my own and actually assist the team. The big thing people seem to take issue to is it's really designed to be run as a group. If you rush the control points solo hoping to make a difference you are just going to gently caress your team over. I always just pick one team mate who seems competent and stick to his rear end, shoot the guys he shoots, take or hold control points he holds, and it seems to work well. Some of the maps, like Blind Watch are hilariously unbalanced though, if you are team Alpha on Blind Watch you may as well quit on load, since Bravo can sit in the hallway and hold two control points (B and C) from almost perfect cover and as long as all 6 stick to the script there is absolutely nothing you can do. You can never get close enough to even super them. Even all 6 rushing at once you'll get pasted in the door, since they can see you all coming and know which of the 3 doors you are coming through. I have been on both sides of this equation more times then i can count. The win as team bravo on this map is surprisingly hollow, yay I won because I stood in one spot and shot guys coming through a door, weeeeeee. My highest and lowest K/D ratios ever has been on that map, 6.0 and .06 (I got 12 deaths and 0 kills, to me that's 0.0, but in Destiny land I got .06???), you can guess which time I was team Bravo and which I was team Alpha.

I just wish Bungie spent the same effort on the co-op stuff, as they do on PvP. The raid (Crota) is still buggy as hell. It randomly boots half the team every 5 minutes or so, if you have a close 6 man party where you are all friends good for you, if you randomly matched on Destiny LFG or something, enjoy spending the next half hour trying to get a new group put together. I have a solid crew of 4, we cannot play strikes without splitting up, and we cannot do raids without introducing a random element. So we usually go with option 3 of standing around the Tower and having impromptu dance parties until one of us has to sign off. There is a higher then 0% chance when you invite a random element into your party that he just spouts memes like he's at the loving Rocky Horror Picture Show. That is unacceptable. "I can haz Shotgun?" you you can haz get booted from fireteam. Now I get to spend half an hour looking for someone who is not you to fill your slot, and the chance of someone else on the team getting frustrated that we have to fill your slot and dropping is also pretty high.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
Losing stars in GTA Online is not 'hard', It's just not fun. You can always drive into a mechanic shop to lose all your stars, but there are only 4 of those on the whole gigantic map. You can put on/take off a mask and lose 1 star instantly. Lester can only help if you have 2 stars or less, so lets hope you didn't nick a cop with your bumper or anything. If these options are not open to you you are sitting in an alley waiting for several minutes. I usually break the law by my safe house, so I break LOS and go inside my apartment and wait, but again it takes minutes. That's not fun, waiting for a set period of time in a time out waiting for your chance to play the game. It takes a screeching halt from 'crime simulator' into 'preschool simulator' where you have to sit in the corner for a few minutes because your dude was loitering.

I mean it's a good chance to go into the other room and grab a drink or something, but I'd rather play the game. maybe I am weird and not seeing the insane white knuckle action of sitting in an alleyway for a minute.

Also if a cop never spawned within 10 feet of you, you just haven't played the game long enough. It'll happen, trust me. Try running from 3+ stars in an airplane, a heli will spawn 5 feet in front of you and cause you to crash into it and die I guarantee.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
Hey Ryoko, that's not fair. It wasn't 'git gud' it was 'Consoles suck, amirite'. Which I guess is the original 'git gud*'

*hardware

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
You'd have to be Corey or Trevor for the first half of the game, Since in GTA fashion, the first half would just be getting sent on Bitchquests. Then it would make sense in universe when you knock over a bank and get like $25. "Goddamn it Corey why did you take the bag of nickles" "It was heavier I thought it would be worth more." Instead of driving around you just crawl into the trunk and sit through a loading screen. "alright, we're here, Don't gently caress it up"

drat it, now I want to play this game.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
My issue with video games is the state of PvP. Playing any PvP in any game is like taking your 6 year old to a little league game and seeing professional NFL players on the field mixed in with high schoolers, college athletes, and little leaguers. There is no way anyone is having fun other then 'hur hur, tackle 6 year old fun' . In any other competitive activity there is at least some attempt to separate players based on skill but in video games it seems the philosophy is 'gently caress it, let's go smoke' No one is improving their skills, no one is actively competing, it's just a mess.

Very rarely is an online match a close call between two teams who are evenly matched, it's almost always a rout by one team because one team had a pro on it. I am a very mid range player, I never feel like I am contributing since we either lose and two people on my team get 1 kill to 47 deaths or we win and two people on my team get 47 kills to 1 death.

Maybe some games try to balance it out. I've never seen it. This is mostly from Destiny (single player content locked behind PvP bologna)

Also, stop locking singleplayer content behind PvP you loving dopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

RareAcumen posted:

The game even mentions that the safes have been locked since? I would just assume someone used them in the intervening 20 years or so.

The games main storyline is that all this stuff was used post war, the Institute just rolls through and wipes everyone out every x years. You can probably count on one hand the number of things you can find that are pre war (and never used since). All of those safes were supposed to be used by raiders or previous settlers.

The safes have grenades and rockets or bottlecaps in them because someone picked the lock, threw out the pre war family jewels then stuck their own poo poo in them and then died. Heck in the hundreds of years those safes were probably looted and reused a dozen times. After you leave some jackwagon probably runs in behind you and decides to stick some caps in there for a rainy day or whatever. Radiation does weird things to peoples brains.