Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

Any nonstealth game that attempts to force stealth on you for a certain level or mission, and you fail and have to start over if you get spotted. Usually pared with the equally obnoxious No-Gear level. If the game has my guy murdering dudes by the dozen with an arsenal of weapons, don't take that away and force me to sneak around, it's the fastest way to make me ragequit a game. If I want to play a stealth game I'd go play Metal Gear Solid.

I think Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 has the worst case of this I've ever seen. Your dude can literally kill Satan in a one-on-one fight, but those red guys with grenade launchers are apparently way out of your league and remain so for the entire game.

Also most Zeldas seem to have one at some point. I'd say Wind Waker is the worst. I've never actually beaten that section, I ended up getting my roommate to do it for me after blowing like half an hour on it.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 16:37 on May 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

scarycave posted:

I'm doing Bravely Defaults NG+ because apparently if you reset your village, the nemesis' will drop buns more.
Bun's are items that give permanent stat boosts and since most +99 nemesis' in my game will still royally gently caress me over even at level 99 I'm hoping to get better stats this time around. When you get a bun, its drop rate decreases dramatically. So I'm hoping to get better stats this time so I can actually fight these things without abusing stillness or jump (because that really seems to be the only way to beat some of these guys), in conclusion FF10 is the best FF because you can just level up everybody to get godly stats without having to go through this bullshit and why am I even doing this?

Bravely Default had a fine combat system but it just felt so lifeless to me that I had no desire to keep playing. i quit in the middle of some desolate continent with a big war going on, before even getting to the parts that everyone complains about.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Jedi Outcast. You're about to board the big evil dude's capital spaceship to stop him before he destroys... whatever it is he wants to do! You fight swarms of dark Jedi side-by-side with Luke Skywalker himself! You get ready to storm the craft...

And spend an hour sneaking through the clunkiest and most frustrating stealth section this side of Ocarina of Time.

The weird part is they basically give no good explanation on why you have to sneak. It's just more imperial soldiers, which you've already proven you can fight basically an infinite number of.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 00:10 on May 20, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm starting to get fed up with metroidvanias (horrible word, is there a better one?). I just constantly see spots where I think "great, I'll have to come back here once I get the ability to climb/freeze water/slide/whatever". Those games really need an option to start with all your powerups from the beginning. I'm not joking, A Link Between Worlds was really on to something.

MisterBibs posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is making me hate the color yellow. It's been a while since I last played and I'm playing the Director's Cut, which I'm told reduced the yellow... but no. too much yellow.

Related: was the Deus Ex thread in Games archived? The search is showing nothing, and I'm really in one of those "If I'm not playing {Game}, I want to read the thread for {Game}" moods.

The load times killed this game for me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I feel like powerup progression is a key facet of the genre. A Link Between Worlds was great for giving you all of the item mainstays out of the gate, but Zelda games aren't really Metroidvanias.

Well, if that's a definitive part of the genre then being of that genre is dragging those games down for me. I really don't see how "There's a powerup down that tunnel, I'll come back later when I can slide through that tunnel and grab it" is ever preferable to "I'll use my slide ability to go down that tunnel and grab that powerup". If you really want to be annoyed by this try playing Dust: An Elyssian Tale.

I guess A Link Between Worlds isn't of that genre because it's not a 2D platformer, but the progression mechanics are pretty much the same.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

kazil posted:

Romance options in pretty much any video game are really, really awkward.

I'm pretty sure Bioware just includes them so you can make an incredibly ugly character and then giggle while you watch them awkwardly grope a dwarf or an alien.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Another thing about Watch Dogs is that you can actually shoot enemies without killing them. The game makes a distinction between "neutralizing" an enemy and killing them.

This distinction is kind of funny in the Batman Arkham games. I'll take the game's word that Batman isn't actually killing these guys, but I bet some of them spend the rest of their lifes hooked up to ventilators and feeding tubes, or at least severely disabled.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So Thi4f is apparantly down to $15 like 4 months after release. What was wrong with it?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

Does every important historical figure have to be an Assassin or Templar? poo poo got boring quick and also I don't like the idea that nobody on Earth that isn't in on Conspiracy A or Conspiracy B and/or a descendent of Alien Jesus can ever be worth anything or do anything important.

I hated the Diablo III ~*nephilim*~ thing for a similar reason. The PCs were way cooler when they were just really badass humans.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This main be a thing that raises the game up for some people, but the lack of any sort of land-wanted-level in Assassin's Creed Black Flag is kind of silly. You've always been a one man army in Asscreed, but not having a wanted level to keep low kills any incentive you have to solve things via stealth rather than just single handedly killing 30 guys every time you want to steal a painting or whatever.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The voice work of the various pirates in AC4, especially the MC, is jowly to the point of distraction. By the end of the game I had to stop myself from doing this at my monitor during the cutscenes.

mind the walrus posted:

Here loving here. I don't know what happened to those guys but the words "lost their way" when it comes to GTA doesn't even begin to describe it.

They are slick as hell with their presentation though. Got to give them that. That's why it sells. To paraphrase the Errant Signal video on GTA IV "gamers seem to love content and polish above all else and you can't tell me that this game is not polished or light on content (even if said content isn't that fun)."

The GTA series is really strange. When a new one is released you have hordes of people talking about how it's amazing and possibly the best game ever made. Then two weeks later everyone who actually liked it has completely forgotten about it and the only people still talking are the people who thought it sucked.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anatharon posted:

Mario and Luigi Dream Team: Other then the graphics it's brought down by not being Wario and Waluigi Dream Team.

That game was just incredibly tedious, especially the Dream World gimmick.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Any game that locks stuff behind multiplayer/connection to someone else with the game, especially if it uses StreetPass on the 3DS. Exclusive equipment in FF Tactics: War of the Lion, some of the trophies in Final Fantasy Theatrhythm, a million and one achievements in other games, etc.

I'm convinced this street pass stuff is basically designed for people who live in Tokyo and everyone else can just deal with it. I thought Devil Survivor for 3DS had a nice solution. Street pass stuff was also accessible with play coins, which you earn by walking around with your 3DS whether you pass anyone or not.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Everyone always complains about the stupid way to get the Zodiac Spear in FF12. They're totally justified, it is really dumb. But, it's actually way more player friendly than every other ultimate weapon in the game. The vast majority are just found through stealing from enemies or looting chests that have a low chance to spawn, and if spawned have a low chance to actually carry the weapon. So it's just as much of a guide required situation unless you somehow psychically ascertain that that chest that dropped 3 phoenix downs will drop an Excalibur or whatever if you just farm it an average of 50 times.

I didn't have any problems with PC port bugs in Revengeance myself, but the horrible camera really drags down an otherwise amazing game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Spider Ball boss ruined MP2 for me. Up until that point I liked it for the most part, but after dieing 5 times to that long, bullshit boss I just decided to call it quits. I feel li9ke the bosses are usually the worst part of Retro's games.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

People saying "This game has motion controls??? (dumps game in garbage)" is dragging games in general down.

e: oh hello new page. Uhhh, Kirby Triple Deluxe forces you to drop your power and use the new Hypernova ability in certain areas. I just want to be a ninja all the time.

Hypernova is cool one or two times, but it wears out its welcome long before it stops appearing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

scarycave posted:

It feels more like a cut-scene really. Heck, some of those mini-bosses you curb stomp with Hyper-Nova looked more fun to fight than some of the actual bosses - gently caress you frog guy.

In Sonic 06, there's ladders everywhere - but you can't climb them. I think I've jumped into them several times now on platforming impulse. Also, I really wish the game would be more forgiving with your score - it resets when you die, which seems to happen at random at times, most glitches can sort of be appeased by doing them a certain way, but occasionally the game will hit just kill you off for giggles. Or fling you around everywhere before launching you off the map for some reason.

Godhand/Vanquish have the best videogame ladders. Instead of climbing them you just instantly jump to the other end.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jaramin posted:

Avernum 4-6 have lean on one mechanic wayyy to hard. Poison. Every enemy poisons you, bandits. slimes, bosses, bats, goblins, undead, immobile turrets, slugs, and of course, rats. You have to useyour priest's turns curing almost every round, which quickly loses it's charm. The best enemies are ones that poison you and are practically immune to everything but magic damage, which is seriously annoying when you only have one dedicated priest and one dedicated mage in your party along with two melee users.

The turret sections drag down pretty much every Spiderweb game that has them (which is most of them). They're pretty much all unfun slogs.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Darksiders 2.

This was a game that sounded awesome in theory, but after playing it I feel like they would have been better off if it was basically just more DS1 content.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

3rd person games and platformers are the only things I find gamepads to be better for as a rule.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

So I took advantage of the sale they had for Paper Mario Sticker Star.

I'm not absolutely hating it, but I can I wonder why they went this route with this particular franchise.

Generally the Paper Mario games had very creative writing, unique areas and such, this one though is just a by the numbers Mario game stage wise, plains, desert, forest, water, winter, etc, the combat is limited by its sticker system since you feel like hoarding them for bosses, on top of that combat is largely pointless as you don't get exp anymore, just coins, lots and lots of coins, I have 600 coins at the end of 1-5 which seems like a shitload, course the game has a money sink in the form of slots you can use to be able to use more than one sticker, said slots are required for certain bosses as you can't hurt them unless you do 2 moves in one turn.

What little writing there is seems Paper Mario esque at least.

I can see why the game was so poorly received though, its a serious 180 from the previous titles.

Sticker Star was basically an RPG with all of the elements that make an RPG fun stripped out with way more inventory management to make up for it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Tales of the Abyss is a very strange JRPG, I have never played an RPG where every single party member and some supporting NPC's are such irredeemable assholes, and somehow the main character who for all intents and purposes is a literal machild, is the least rear end in a top hat of them all.

I don't even know if I wanna keep playing this, I hate everyone involved so far.

The main thing I remember from seeing my roommate play this when it came out was Fonons. Have they started talking about Fonons yet?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

In Belfry Sol, only in offline mode, there is an around 16% chance for a red phantom in an awesome Predator mask to spawn. He drops the Berserker set and Katana. On a bus ride, I've farmed him for shits and giggles; you can rest at the bonfire to make him spawn if he isn't, and you can actually check for CPU use of Dark Souls 2 to see if he spawned - it goes up noticeably (in the last digits, of course) when the game loads in his model. You know, just if you want to try it. Though the mask is pretty kickass!

Killing him also gives you points for the Bellkeeper covenant.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Or you own a dog, or have a small child, or need to answer the door, or something else. Not being able to pause is loving rude.

e: If you're playing an explicitly multiplayer game, that's a different thing, but playing Dark Souls isn't really the same thing as a Call of Duty match.

If you need to do that you can save and quit, which allows you to resume exactly where you were (not counting boss fights), in about 2 seconds.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The endgame in Wildstar is too drat hard. I thought all that "hardcores only!" hype was just big talk, but no, it was actually true. I'd bet the majority of their potential player base doesn't consider that a good thing. I haven't played an MMO endgame since WOW TBC, but for reference the max level dungeons in Wildstar are tougher than most TBC heroics, and they gate the rest of the PVE endgame content that isn't just grinding dailies indefinitely.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PJOmega posted:

Ah TBC, what a shitfest of an expansion that was that survived simply because it was WoW. Levels 60-70 are still insufferable even with immediate access to flying mounts.

I hear people say it's the worst part of leveling up a new character these days, but at the time the general feeling was that it was a big step up :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Esroc posted:

One of the better mods for Skyrim adds in three or four NPC adventurers like you that you can run randomly into out in the wild questing. It was nice to enter a dungeon only to find the Vampire nest inside already wiped out by a guy just as decked out in gear as you (why is the PC in Elder Scrolls games the only dude with decent gear in the entire world?) picking their corpses clean of loot.

When I played Oblivion for the first time I didn't realize you actually had to rest to level up. So when I found out I could I ended up blowing through like 30 levels at once and suddenly every random thief in the game was wearing full Daedric or glass armor. Had to scrap that character because the game was suddenly unplayably difficult.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bungie seems like it's trying to build a community around Destiny, but rather than doing that by making it easy for you to build a community in game it forces you to build a community by leaving out basic features, like matchmaking for certain modes (not just raids!)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Destiny has got to have the worst loot system in any game I have ever seen, it makes Diablo 3's early days pale in comparison.

The top loot mostly boils down to grabbing something called engrams, either blue or legendary purple, sometimes you'll see a green engram but that usually just gives you a straight up item, so one would think a blue or purple engram would ID into something of those respective colors and or rarity, but it doesn't.

For reasons I cannot comprehend a blue engram can ID into either a green, a blue or a legendary or a class item(random class to boot), purple engrams can ID into all of the above, as well as an exotic item, so in other words a legendary dips into 6 possible item pools, how does that makes any loving sense given how rare these things are.

But its not all bad, I did finally get a legendary chest piece, for a completely different class that I'm currently using. :iamafag:

I thought Borderlands 2 had the worst one I've ever seen. The sheer volume of utter garbage and scarcity of usable items made me think of the whole loot aspect as more of a frustration than a goal. Diablo 3 1.0 had the same problem, but not to the same degree as BL2.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Destiny is far loving worse than BL2. It's 99% crap you have no use for.

BL2's biggest problem was having the good gear with preset levels. It would've been far better if legendaries had more of a range they could appear at and were a bit more common along with purples. When your best way to get decent weapons was the stupid codes given out by the devs, the game has a major issue.

I don't mind Destiny's anywhere near as much. I always found decent gear leveling up and there are non-rng ways to get high end max level items.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Once you get to a high level in Shadow of Mordor the game loses all challenge. I don't really want to start a new game either because then I'd need to go through a bunch of story missions to get my basic abilities.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

I'd be happy with basic community options.

I mean I joined the 360 goons and all I get is something that says old timey goons under my name, no way of communicating with them in-game, if I wanna do that I need to add all of them individually.

It's like they looked at Nintendo's online system and said "Yeah, that's the way to do it."

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lotish posted:

I've been told the blue sentinels are really a ng+ covenant, and that has a huge impact on your blue invasion rates. Doesn't make the 500 rating thing any less bullshit.

I think you can get everything they offer from NG++ vendors or killing their faction NPC. I don't know whether there being no unique reward for that insane grind is a good thing or not.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Who What Now posted:

So Borderlands: The $60 DLC dropped today. Borderlands 2 wasn't broke, and they didn't try to fix it, which is alright. Borderlands 2 was fun for what it was, and I do like a shooter I can pick up and put down again very easily whenever I want to fling some bullets into some assholes. But the few things that they did add are so far pissing me off. Specifically the new "double-jump" mechanic. I put "double-jump" in quotes because it is not a jump and most certainly doesn't double it. What it does do is give a small uptick in momentum in the direction you're already going. Which can be nice for moving around a little faster, but it makes the platforming that they're trying to put in harder because it's not easy to estimate exactly how your boost is going to affect your jump.

And all of this wouldn't be so bad if the game hadn't become even floatier than before. Borderlands has always had high jumping and low gravity, and now it seems like they've just turned the gravity down in one of the physics files. Possibly in a word document while screwing around, and then they said "yeah, let's make a game out of that" without doing any further testing at all.

Is the loot and level scaling still terrible?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kruller posted:

Ultimate Blockhead taught me how to memorize positions really really fast. This skill only ever works playing Okami.

Fishing drags every game down. Okami's fishing, WoW's fishing, poo poo Bass Pro Shop Fishfucker 9000 probably sucks, too. It's just so god drat tedious, or in the case of Okami, a huge pain in the rear end. It's okay mechanics wise in Final Fantasy 14, but still boring. I can't even think of a way to not make it boring without also making it annoying.

What about the fishing in Nier? I know a lot of people got stuck on the mandatory fishing part because when an NPC told you to fish at the beach he meant a different beach than the one he was standing right next to.

I had to use an online guide to figure out how to fish correctly in Persona 4.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

im pooping! posted:

AssCreed III, the kill streak changed from "press a direction and a face button once" to "hold a direction and mash a face button". Brotherhood and Revelations were much better about it seeming less like button mashing and more like dominating everyone and everything. Unfortunately I've not yet played Pirates edition and I'm considering getting an Xbone with that as my first game. Any reason not to?

If you like Assassin's Creed in general you'll probably like the pirate one. The one thing I thought was broken about it was the lack of wanted levels (on land). It removes any incentive for stealth (other than full sync but gently caress that) because it's so much quicker and easier to just murder 30 guys and there's no consequences for you to deal with afterwards.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

I've always liked how on these forums it seems like the only way to have fun with Skyrim is with mods.

"It's a great game, after you install 20 or so mods that change how everything works."

Given that TES games always end up with huge modder communities I think it's one of the few games where counting on modders to make it better is a safe bet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I've managed to play 44 hours so far without fighting one. I'm pretty sure I know which quest I have to do to make them appear, but they sound kind of annoying and I'm enjoying doing all these other quests, so I just haven't bothered yet.

Well if you've been playing 44 hours the dragon fights will be trivial and by not fighting them you're missing out on shouts which are one of the best parts of the game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

khwarezm posted:

So I just finished Batman: Arkham Origins and it was obvious that they didn't have much to add to the formula of the series.

What dragged this game down for me was the electrocutioner fight. I ran up to him, pressed the punch button and it immediately went to the you win cutscene. I don't know whether that was a bug or intentional but either way it was pretty lame when I was expecting a real boss fight.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I do. I also liked Desmond, and the aliens stuff. gently caress you for being among the vocal assholes who kept me from getting a full game of him.

I think a Desmond-centric game would have been fine, but the sections in 1-3 were like the game forcing you to get up and use the toilet ~in-game~. A Desmond game would also have let them set it in the USA and have buildings that were more than 3 stories tall, which would have been neat.

I actually liked the alien plot stuff, especially in the 2 trilogy. Without it the plot would have been a bog standard -guy is wronged, vows revenge, gets it- story.

Namarrgon posted:

The bad news is it won't really get better. The good news is that AC2 is pretty drat amazing (coming from AC1) and still a pretty good game otherwise.

Well, the sequels are still repetitive but I didn't think they were nearly as bad about it as the original.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rick_Hunter posted:

The problem with a modern AssCreed game is that firearms make hidden blades obsolete. You can see this in AC3 and 4 where they go to great lengths to give you time to use a human shield when all it would take is a few snap shots from a pistol to turn your assassin rear end into fertilizer. The only time you see a handgun is at the end of AC3 and which Desmond makes quick work of with the MacGuffin by making the guard shoot himself. All Abstergo needs to do to take care of the assassins is to make their guards carry guns and not be pussies.

Well that would encourage you to actually act like an assassin instead of a berserker I guess.