Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RBX posted:

Playing Smash Run makes me want to smash my cartridge. Holy poo poo what a clusterfuck. It also faces me with my nemesis: Video Game Knockback

They really went too far with the collectibles. I hope they release some free "here are all the custom moves" dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just sort of naturally fell into stealth/pistol because the game initially makes stealth seem like the "correct" way to play and pistols are the only weapon you can hit the broadside of a barn with. AP is a really high highs and low lows kind of game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In TOME 4 the game performs worse and worse the further you get into it. Restarting helps somewhat, but it's never restored to the speed it's at with a fresh character. If it remained at its initial speed the entire way through it would probably take me half as long to complete a run.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DSII has a good number of lame bosses but complaining about old Dragonslayer is a bit odd. It's clearly supposed to throwback to one of the most iconic bosses from Dark Souls, not "Hey guys here's a totally brand new boss *sweats*"

Szurumbur posted:

I've been playing Dust: An Elysium Tail and find this game very enjoyable, but the character's speed is a bit too low for me - I hope I find some speed upgrade ability later in the game, because right now my character just leisurely strolls through the screen. Also you can't leave the screen if the enemies are still alive, so even though they die quickly even on higher difficulties it's impossible to rush through the screen with fights present.

That game was fun but it had WAY too much combat that all sort of end ed up playing the same once you got to a certain point. Use magic, jump into the air, spin sword x10000.

scarycave posted:

I really like how the Imprisoned in Hyrule Warriors is just as fun to fight as the actual one in Skyward Sword.

The giant bosses in that game all kind of suck really, but imprisoned is definitely the worst.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I always thought Super Ornstein was the hardest part of O&S :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Look at this loving scrub

What part of that fight do you find the most difficult?

UltraVariant posted:

Risk of Rain's difficulty curve is a straight vertical line for new players.

I played this for about 25 minutes then just gave up. I'm sure if I persevered and built up my skill I could eventually get the hang of, but on the other hand I could just play a different game that actually respects my time. There are plenty of roguelike-likes that aren't anywhere near as newbie hostile.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Nov 5, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The postgame content for Shin Megami Tensei IV is dumb as hell. Basically, there are some super tough demons hanging around various areas of Tokyo. If you beat them, you can create them through fusion and build an incredibly strong party. The problem is actually getting them to appear. They have something like a 1 in 100 chance to appear when you enter their areas. So if you want to fight them you have to enter an area, check to see if the fiend is there, run a few zones away to reset the area and repeat who knows how many times. If the fiend does appear you can save before fighting it for unlimited attempts, but imagine going through all the trouble of getting it to appear and then realizing you wouldn't be able to beat it with your current party. I did, and decided to put the game away before seeing a single one.

And the overworld suuuucckkkkedddd.

oldpainless posted:

All of the first half. Its a very difficult fight. I died at least 20 times to them.

I always found that the easiest part. Less instakill potential than the giant 1v1 fights.

death .cab for qt posted:

Old Iron King really is terrible. It's Ceaseless Discharge, a really boring and bad boss from the first game, but now there is an easy instant death pit you can fall in.

I'm so glad there wasn't a Bed of Chaos equivalent in this game.

I find him way easier than ceaseless discharge, his tells actually being in frame when fighting him helps a lot.

Szurumbur posted:

I wouldn't know, I don't like the Souls series, it's just that immediate uncritical praise for a mechanic that I frankly found dumb was weird, to me. Oh well, to each his own.

I can see why they did it. Players had adapted to the mimics from the first game by simply attacking every single chest before opening it. Of course the solution in DSII is just to attack every chest with a weak attack like an unarmed punch.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Nov 6, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Szurumbur posted:

Rogue Legacy: enemies deal damage you merely by touching you. As your main attack has a very short range, it takes a fair bit of getting used to as to how exactly one should move and I don't think the game would lose any balance if you could touch them without repercussions. Also, I could only get to the very first boss, but the amount of HP it has makes my blows seem almost inconsequential - I hope it won't be a trend, because it seems that with enough skill one can dodge its projectiles with ease and then it would just become tedious.

I'm not sure if the problem with that game is that it put way too much emphasis on grinding or just that I sucked at it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Enemies in Dargon Age Inquisition become extremely hard to hit with melee weapons if they're lieing on the ground or floating two feet in the air (those awful demon ice mages!). You can hit them, it just seems like the game has a hard time realizing you're trying to attack that enemy rather than swinging your daggers through mid air.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lotish posted:

Yeah, that's happened to me a few times: I'll kick a guy on his rear end and then my first swing will wiff over him. Same if I try to use Devour while they're laid out, because it comes straight out like a punch.

It's not even the first swing for me. They'll just suddenly become completely unhittable.

A few things about the DA:I multiplayer:

The three enemy factions are pretty well balanced, except the demon boss is probably 10 times as hard as the other two. That sounds like an exaggeration, but it really isn't.

The main way you get loot is by opening treasure rooms during missions. Each treasure room is protected by one of three doors which can be opened by a warrior, rogue or mage. This adds nothing to the gameplay, but it does punish you for building a party that doesn't use all 3 character archetypes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Yeah, playing on vita was excruciating after a point. I got as far as beating Mom with Issac once, beating her again with another character and dying within minutes. I felt like I had the skills to beat it, but the game is so stacked against me that I couldn't climb over that wall. I just hit a point that I needed a guide to figure out how to continue, which is really inconvenient when you just need a game for the bus.

If you can't beat Mom with just about any item set up then you're nowhere near the skill ceiling for that game. That said, I'll usually reset if I don't get any good items by the end of the second floor. Getting a bunch of "Mom's Lipstick" and etc basically means you won't be having any fun that run.

Esroc posted:

Finally got Shadow of Mordor and I have to bitch about this stupid game because I cannot fathom why it was so critically acclaimed upon release.

My problem with the game is that it was just so easy. I never had any of the cool moments I heard everyone talking about because I never had any trouble whatsoever beating whatever the game threw at me. I can't say that about the Arkham games even on normal difficulty so it's not like my skills are super amazing, the game is simply really easy.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Dec 15, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

They had people playtest the game and it was pretty much unanimous that the game was too hard. Once you understand the mechanics at play the game becomes a complete cakewalk but for a lot of people the game is very difficult.

I feel like this is an issue that could have been solved with multiple difficulty levels. Given how much they did copy from the Arkham games, I'm not sure why they didn't copy this. The only times I died were intentional deaths to power up an orc or reset a challenge to get the optional objective. Some of the orcs were tough to kill, or at least took forever since they were immune to everything other than exploding campfires or whatever. The only fight I found challenging was the ghoul matriarch, and that was more because the fight played like nothing else in the game.

I really want to like it, and if they release a patch with "Istari difficulty mode" or whatever I probably would.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Heavy Lobster posted:

I got Rogue Legacy a while back having heard a lot of complaints about the controls and I really don't understand it. They're really consistent and I can't think of a single time in the entire game where I thought something was bullshit and out of my control, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm missing or what people had problems with. This isn't a dig at anyone, just legitimately wondering if I just totally missed something.

This probably isn't what bugs other people about the controls, but I have trouble controlling 2D platformers where the character is a big gangly cartoon. For example Mario is a rectangle and Sonic is a ball so their hitboxes are pretty easy to figure out. The characters in Rogue Legacy are too animated.

My real problem with that game is that it combined a bunch of roguelike features with a huge emphasis on grinding stats that persist between playthroughs. I feel like those two things just don't go that well together.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

That scene in inquisition isn't nearly as bad as origins, so I'll give it a pass. I am also thankful there are no intensely awkward sex cutscenes, another thing that origins had and inquisition does not.

This is a pretty bold claim (nws)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

melon cat posted:

The Final Fantasy series seems to be quite bad with this sort of thing. I still remember the unskippable Summon spell animations in FF7 (is that what they were called? It has been a while). I don't know if it was an oversight from Square Enix, or an intentional (and self-indulgent) feature that they decided to keep. But it got really irritating really quickly. If I recall correctly, FF9's Eidolons were similarly repetitive.

Speaking of Square Enix and long crafting animations, how about that Tactics Ogre remake? Amazing game but everything about the crafting was terrible. Every time you crafted something you had to watch this little animation of a 5 pixel by 10 pixel cauldron jiggling. And to craft a finished product you'd have to watch the animation A LOT.

Say you wanted to craft an Ogre Slicer+1. To craft this you'd need 3 pieces of Wootz Steel. Wootz Steel is crafted from 2 Baldur ingots and a silver ingot. A Baldur ingot is crafted from 2 steel ingots and a Baldur crystal. A steel ingot is crafted from an iron ingot, charcoal and flux. An iron ingot is crafted from iron ore. Iron ore is crafted from low quality ore which is bought from a vendor.

I just made those formulas up, but high end items usually had dozens of steps with each one forcing you to watch that stupid jiggling cauldron every time. There was no way to, say, craft 5 irons bars at once. Each step also had a failure chance. For most ingredients it was only around 10%, but for the finished products it was often more like 45%. There was nothing to keep you from savescumming, but that just added to the tedium.

Then of course there was the way you actually got these recipes. High end recipes were mainly located it optional endgame dungeons. So you'd fight to the fifth floor of some dungeon where the enchiridion (book) containing the recipes could drop. Each floor had several layouts it's enemies could spawn in, so you savescum that floor until you find one with a female zombie standing on tile E7 or whatever. Then you savescum to kill that unit over and over until the 20% chance drop triggers. You have to kill it in a different way each time too, or else the rng will give you the same result.

Another clear indication that SE makes its games with the expectation people will be playing it with gamefaqs open, as there is no in game way to know that these recipe books exist at all, much less where you can find them or what drops them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rick_Hunter posted:

Steam indie games are just like any other business that needs capital and you're the venture capitalist. It sucks that it makes you wary but that's really the risk when it comes to indie studios using kickstarter to fund their project. I think the model works but what it needs is more oversight so that less people are scammed and more games are made because they are setting milestones in the development process.

I think the entire appeal of kickstarter for developers is lack of oversight. There's no principal investor to look at your project and say "this will never" work or force you to make compromises to actually get your product out the door.

There are plenty of good games from kickstarter though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

People started fishing at the pro-fisher pier where only sharks swim instead of the intended shallow-beach 10m from there.

Nah, the beach that was visible from the guy who gave you the rod and told you to fish at the beach was the pro-fisher beach. The correct beach was across town through some tunnel. I actually didn't even know there were quest markers up until that point. The game wasn't that big so if you were told go to the lighthouse or go to the tavern you could find the thing pretty easily just wandering around. In addition to that NPC being placed in a stupid location the fishing minigame also sucked pretty hard (surprise!).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

The stupidest part about the whole thing is after you do it the one time it never comes up the rest of the game. Like, you can go fishing, but you never really get a reason to and are probably busy doing a whole lot of other things.

Don't you need to fish to get some weapon? And all weapons are required for the ultimate ending. That game really cries out to be youtubed after your first two playthroughs.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

Freedom Planet actually does a really good job about this and it actually sounds like characters are interrupting each other.

Shame about the story being borderline unwatchable and insanely long. I switched over to Arcade or Classic or whatever mode it is that cuts out the story after I beat two levels because I couldn't deal with it.

That game had great Sonic/Jazz Jackrabbit style gameplay but oh god the story. Hearing your three sparkledogs squeal "SUSHI!!!!" was one of the most cringe inducing gaming moments I've ever come across. What really killed that thing for me was the insane difficulty spike on the boss of the ice level. Add in the fact that if you run out of lives or just decide to quit and come back later you'll have to play this annoying schmup section at the beginning of the level again. I just quit after a few attempts because it didn't even feel like I was making progress.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Elysiume posted:

A(nother) thing dragging Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate down: the inane damage system. Most weapons deal physical and elemental damage. You'd think that if you have e.g. 750 physical damage and 250 elemental damage, you'll deal roughly 25% of your damage from the element. Turns out that elemental damage is actually divided by 10 for some reason. It also turns out that every weapon class (longsword, hammer, etc.) has a hidden physical damage multiplier. So a 750/250 longsword is actually dealing 227/25, and a 750/250 hammer is actually dealing 144/25. Then there are some weapon types that have additional, extra damage multipliers, such as sword and shield dealing 6% bonus damage on cutting attacks.

And that's all ignoring that every monster has different physical and elemental resists for each body part. That parts not so bad, it's the ridiculous hidden multipliers on everything.

You're forgetting one more step, after the universal weapon type multiplier theres another multiplier based on which attack animation you use which is usually something like .20-.40. This isn't applied to elemental damage. So that longsword's damage goes from 220/25 to 60/25. Then there's the multiplier that's applied based on where you hit the monster that you mentioned, so maybe your cutting damage is multiplied by .40 and you fire damage is multiplied by .60, which brings you to 24 + 15 damage.

Calculating the damage you're going to be doing is such a pain in the rear end I wouldn't bother unless you're going full sperg. The main things to take into account are which of the monster's body parts are weakest and what elements it is weak to.

Since elemental damage has one fewer multipliers it's better on weapons that do more fast, weak hits like the Sword and Shield or Longsword, while physical damage is more important for slow weapons like the Greatsword or Hammer. As for comparing weapons of one type to weapons of another, unless you want to open excel just assume that a tier 7 longsword made from Rathalos parts is about as good as a tier 7 lance made from Rathalos parts.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PrinnySquadron posted:

The amount of Armour/Parry/Shield cards enemies in Card Hunter end up with rapidly becomes really unfun.

I can see what they were trying to do, since giving enemies a bunch of different defences to get around makes it so you have to adjust your deck for the situation rather than just stuffing it full of all your max damage cards. But on the other hand yeah, it is unfun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xander77 posted:

People look back on Ashley's personality and sum it up as "space racist", but she's really an exceptionally accurate portrayal of someone who (for instance) votes Republican and is worried about the "demographic balance" but would never support the KKK (Terra Nova or whatever the actual space racists party is called) and/or might have actual black friends.

Cerberus pretty much is the space KKK though, right?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DStecks posted:

Ashley Williams has nothing to do with Cerberus, and is extremely distressed to learn that Shepard has fallen in with them in ME2.

Oh right, I was confusing her and Miranda.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Outside of her absolutely atrocious character design she is.

The female characters in that game all look really weird. Female comic book characters already all look like the slutty Halloween costume version of themselves, but in Injustice their bodies all look kind of off somehow.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Well in ORAS it's actually a conversation with an NPC that moves it from 3rd to 1st. I imagine most people just mash through it. You can talk to him again if you want to change it back to 3rd for some reason!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The giant bosses in Hyrule Warriors are completely awful. If they were simply removed from the game it would be the best musou, in my opinion. But you have to fight them somewhat frequently and it suuuuucks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

aerion111 posted:

I feel like this has essentially been posted already, but I think that was over in the dedicated Dungeonmans thread, and it's still something I 'rediscovered' myself.
Playing a bunch of Dungeonmans, the game generally plays rather well, but I keep being incredibly annoyed at not being able to 'run' like in other roguelikes.
I've lost several characters to manually walking around in a mostly-safe area, then suddenly being spotted by a mage and taking half my health over the course of one or two turns, since I don't have the defenses up.
I can kinda compensate for it by always having my defensive abilities ready, and taking twice as long to move through any area, but all I'd need to be able to move freely would be a 'move until there's either an enemy or a decision that has to be made (like stairs, branching paths, etcetera)' function.

I have a hard time playing roguelikes without autoexplore, it's such a great feature. Dungeonmans is good but it's just too tedious for me to clear dungeons manually when there are other good roguelikes that don't make you do that. Not having autoexplore works ok in roguelikes where the dungeon is made up of Nethack style rooms and hallways, or ones with fairly small levels.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Another one from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate , sometimes the monsters will stand actually outside of the area. So if I try to get close enough to attack them, I'll actually travel to the next area instead of getting close. Some monsters, like the lagiacrus and the pink rathian, seem to do this a lot more than others. Also, sometimes when I am following a monster to a different area, the monster will leave the current area before I do, but when I enter the next one, it will be behind me and have the chance to hit me as soon as I enter.

The best thing is when you kill one and its corpse falls outside of the zone so you can't carve it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

:getout:

Though I am curious is it the setting or the noir feel? I am biased because I really liked that game but still curious as to what you see as flaws.

I played that game for awhile after getting it in a sale. There was just nothing about it that grabbed me and made me want to keep playing so I stopped after an hour or two. I didn't really care about the story, or the setting, or the combat system. I liked Bastion so I was pretty disappointed.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Bee posted:

While we're talking tutorials, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.

God that game had far, far too much tutorial. It felt glacial compared to the other three, and its why I could never really get into it.

Even ignoring the tutorials that game was a huge loving slog. Fights took forever and were hard to avoid. The dreamworld segments added a ridiculous amount of padding. Enemies respawned so easily you pretty much never wanted to back track for anything. I think it dethrones Sticker Star as worst Mario rpg.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

I recently finished up Shadowrun Returns, and while I enjoyed it quite a bit, it had a few things that really dragged it down. Mainly, guns were far more powerful then pretty much everything else in the game per skill point that using anything else was kinda silly. Late game mages finally came into their own with some good AoE abilities, but by then you had characters packing burst fire shotguns that would do 60+ damage a turn, and most characters had around 60 health.

Also, I'd bring Deckers along at every mission, hoping they'd be able to do something, but the only mission where one is useful they provide one, and its the best decker in the game anyway.

Still, game was pretty enjoyable and I hope Dragonfall is even better.

I was playing and enjoying this, but I was getting to the point where I felt like it should have ended already. Then I got to a point where it looked like the majority of the enemies I'd be fighting from there on out were those "unkillable" things which sounded pretty miserable so I just stopped.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The way progression in the online section of monster hunter is handled is a pain in the rear end. You have to do a bunch of quests to unlock an "urgent" quest, this part is fine. But unlike every other quest in the game simply being in the group when an urgent is completed doesn't count as you completing it. You have to be the one who started the quest. So if you have 4 people you'll have to run it 4 times in a row to get it finished for everyone.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

But that's a crazy amount if work when the game could just make sense and leave my weapon out. That way I can get right back to acrobatics and farming for another poison sac.

I'm glad it puts away your weapon since you often have to panic dive immediately after the stun wears off.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

Makes no sense. "Oh poo poo I got stunned while jumping over a monster because of it's flashbang that was behind me? Better put this weapon away properly."

Well it doesn't make sense that you can cook meat to well done in a few seconds either. It works better than an accurate portrayal from a gameplay perspective though. Monster Hunter isn't the best series for verisimilitude.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pidmon posted:

Holy poo poo is Xenoverse heavily RNG based. I just want to get some stupid outfits from the dragonballs I don't need both a random chance for the Time Patroller to show up AND a random chance for them to drop a bloody dragonball to gate me getting to play dressups. :(

Do you have to gather all the dragonballs to wish for Piccolo's turban or something?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

The mine cart stages in DK Tropical Freeze really suck.

I didn't find them that bad, but the water stages were super terrible. Returns is the best DKC by default because it's the only one with no swimming.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My problem with Destiny is that once you get to a certain point there's nothing to do but raid, and Bungie does absolutely nothing to help you find a raid group so gently caress it. All the game's hype just had me expecting way more actual stuff in the game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

He's a parody of badasses, not an actual badass. Way to miss the point, dickshitter.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bloodborne: The loading screens are looong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that's an almost fatal flaw considering how much the game expects you to die.

Not to mention leveling up then getting back to the game requires you to sit through two of them in quick succession.