Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Anatharon posted:

When I heard about Playcoins I figured they'd be neat side things in games but the only time I ever used them was a brief stint of Animal Crossing where you could get Nintendo themed stuff to gather dust in your house for them.

Charon will also accept them to revive you in SMT IV in lieu of Macca. Sometimes. When he feels like it. :v: Of course being able to save directly before any hard encounters cut down on that usefulness but at least they tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

PhrenzZ posted:

Just wait until Yukari chooses to cast Magaru instead of healing your MC on the final phase of the final boss and causes you to redo the entire hour or so long fight. Multiple times.

The moral of the story is "play P3P, then watch The Answer on YouTube". Or don't bother because the story of Persona 3 is self-contained and didn't need an epilogue.

Needless stories stapled on to updated versions of Persona titles is my thing dragging these games down. At least P3 had the decency to not shoehorn in an entire new character for it, unlike P4G.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Reread his post. He's talking about p4 golden with Marie who was a dumb addition to the plot.

That's what I was getting at, yeah. Metis is at least only in The Answer, Marie smears herself and her stupid hat all over the rest of the game too.

That being said P4G is awesome because of everything else it has and has the best character, the fox Kanji.

It's the fox.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

You don't get any skills from the legends.

They do give the most Miran per pop though, which is used to purchase everything weapon related including the devil trigger ultimate skills. Granted, they could have made it feel a little more connected by tying their acquisition into the legends themselves, but this way is a lot more flexible in what you can get and when.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The charm tables in MH3U are bugged, you're supposed to generate a new seed and thus pull from a new charm table whenever you load the game. Instead it assigns you a table at character creation and you're stuck with it, which is extremely lovely. Later (and earlier!) entries in the series actually work properly when it comes to that.

Actual thing dragging a game down: Wasteland 2 if you could make the object highlight outlines a little fainter and harder to pick out that would be great. And make more of them light yellow on predominately orange and reddish backgrounds.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's the appeal of Lords of the Fallen? Dark Souls except you can only play a beardy geezer?

"Bloodborne is still a couple months out maybe this will scratch that Souls itch."

It did not.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

I was not exaggerating in the Tyranny thread when I said my first five or so hours with the game were really just looking for a portrait I could slot in for the character model I put together.

Shadowrun Hong Kong had an option that linked character models to their portrait, at least as far as it could. It would match colors and try to match facial hair, etc.

For all of its faults currently, Divinity: Original Sin 2 has fantastic character portraits that accurately reflect your customization choices. It's the little things.

On topic, I really dislike how lengthy some of the animations can be in Starcrawlers. Notably when Rookie Copbots throw poo poo at you, that takes way too long.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I finally fired up Elite: Dangerous after buying it on sale and the advanced combat tutorial is tearing me to shreds. :( I just hopped into the game itself after a couple tries but goddamn, those ships tore me apart after killing the first one.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

You are very much not intended to complete the advanced combat tutorial. I don't even know why it's still on that menu, as it's one of the hardest challenges in that game.

Thats good to hear. I kind of figured that was the case since you have your lovely starting ship against multiple ships with really bad weapons.

Now I'm fumbling around trying to judge astrological distances and figuring out how everything works. But its fun!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I hate games where graphical/audio settings are tied to user profile. Games I can think of right now that do this are Dragon's Dogma and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. They are MAXIMUM VOLUME during the dev logos/title screen, and only once I press start do they adjust to the reasonable volume I keep them set at.

Prey does this as well, but its hard to tell whats tied to the profile and what's just the god awful sound balancing in general.

The thing dragging down otherwise great game Prey 2017: the god awful sound balancing. Why yes I wanted my eardrums blown out because January spoke thank you very much.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I feel like the chance of success/critical failure chances in Wasteland 2 are way off sometimes. I know its just confirmation bias and the whims of RNG but goddamn it feels bad to miss two 95% chance shots in a row with my sniper.

Also the voice acting is eight different kinds of terrible.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ledgy posted:

My thoughts exactly. I recently finished the game and the whole thing felt like somewhat of a wet fart. Guess that's why people really insist on playing MGS through release order.

3 has the best fishing minigame and this makes it objectively the beat Yakuza.

Gripes for Kiwami: getting Majima to show up in his proper styles for Dragon of Dojima progression/achievements. I need Mad Dog style oh hey there he is Majima please stop dancing and knife-fight me for the love of god.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Evil Within 2 Hey, O'Neal, d'you think you'll ever getting around to cleaning and dressing that gushing head wound of yours?

He's got a pretty hot take on first aid, actually.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sounds like Jack in the basement with mention of the chainsaw? In which case mentioning crouch-walking is especially hilarious because you can crouch-walk under 80% of his attack animations and take no damage at all. :v: His hit-boxes are basically horizontal lines, but in haste to rush over to post how bullshit a pretty easy boss is I guess hitting more than back on the control stick is kinda hard.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

When you keep harping on about how slowly the character walks backwards while ignoring the other movement options in the game (quick-turn, ducking, blocking, running past the boss then quick-turning to get some shots in) yeah people are gonna make fun of you dude.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I came to make fun of a dude backstepping the whole boss fight, I stayed for the massive persecution complex that's turned into a weird banme post.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Pooped pants or no, he moves faster than all the enemies.

Motherfucker came through a wall at me and laughed about it, I'd poo poo my pants too.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah I bounced off TNC hardcore because it just didn't feel as tight of an experience after TNO. Between the wonkier alarm sounding and lack of solid feedback regarding taking damage it just doesn't feel as good to play.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Len posted:

I got Wolf2, Doom, and Prey for $15 each on black Friday and I'm thinking I'll move to Doom next once I get this done. I'm on the last real level and I should be close to the end of it. The games just throwing lots and lots of the heavily armored dual wielding fuckers and those robot dogs that spot lasers at me. I don't think I'll platinum this after I see those credits roll.

Move to Doom now. It's by far the better fast-paced FPS and everything Wolf2 does Doom does right.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You sound tired. Maybe you should go to bed?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Calaveron posted:

You better not be talking poo poo about my good friend Heropon Riki you son of a bitchpon

I pity the fool don't love a good and just and strong heropon.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Gitro posted:

Subnautica seems like it would be up my alley but I can't deal with underwater segments in video games.

I've only played Tri, but AFAIK it's series standard. World looks real good and I'll be getting it when it's out on PC. Related to my previous complaint, I hope there's no underwater monster fights. The Lagiacrus was pretty fun but I much preferred the bits where it was on land, and the mission where it was introduced was majorly anxiety inducing.

There's no underwater combat and the series is way better for it.

My little thing about world: I just dressed my palico up in Paolamu armor and he is adorable. :3:

E: this isn't the favorite things thread so here's one dragging the game down: monsters run way too often. I know I can stagger them with slinger ammo but sometimes that can be annoying to do.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lmfao that sucks. I spent a half hour going through a random cave full of very low-level enemies, that got murdered by an endgame-level samurai guy.

FFXV is a mess when it comes to enemy placement. At least Xenoblade will plop you down right before the fight if you get one-shot by a random high level monster.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The problem I have with the Pre-Sequel is that it loving loves to lock you in a room and talk at you for minutes before opening the door to the next area. BL2 at least talked at you while you killed lovely bandits or bonerfarts.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Slot cars are loving great though.

I was a huge nerd who used to do Tamiya Racing as a kid, and when I stumbled across the Pocket Racer track I basically lost my poo poo and spent way too long there unlocking as much as I could. It was such a great blast from the past.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Croccers posted:

They toned down/removed a lot of the moves in Y6/YK2 to be more 'realistic' along with the new engine apparently :shrug:

And yet the new throw animation is ridiculously over the top and Kiryu can send a dude tumbling like twenty feet with it while also taking out all the other guys nearby. I love it.

Edit for an actual thing dragging it down: The window for heat moves seems a lot more finicky in K2.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Leal posted:

Sewer Hookers would make a great garage band name.

As the opening band Sewer Hookers is pretty lame, I mainly sat through them for Dick-pinching Crabs, they’re way better live.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is an amazingly goofy and over the top game, but god drat it takes forever to actually let you start doing stuff that isn’t plot related. Half the reason I play Yakuza (or games made by the team in this case) is to see the weird sidestories!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

Play some Blood Bowl. After that, no game with RNG can hurt you.

Nuffle is a cruel and fickle lord, it’s true.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Danaru posted:

Lockpicking in Kingdom Come: Deliverance is loving impossible on console because rather than just rotating the mouse on PC, you have to rotate BOTH joysticks which need to be rotated at slightly different speeds, and if you gently caress up the rhythm it makes you start over

It’s pretty lovely on PC too because there’s no real indicator within the wheel itself as you turn/rotate the lock so it’s very easy to get it out of the sweet spot mid turn and gently caress up. First mod I installed added spokes to the graphic so I had some sense of where I was and it was like night and day.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

rodbeard posted:

Yeah but they got a lot better at balancing the individual splat books and made it so that you can only use one for any organized play. There's a lot less new options per book too. They mostly focus on world building and stuff that they can copyright.

Plus rather than feats being something you gain every 3 levels, it’s now every four and you have to choose between that or increasing your core stats. Plus they’re entirely optional. If you don’t want feat bullshit in your game and you’re the DM, you have the option to say no feats.

5e has a lot of problems (I still like it though) but feats really aren’t one of them.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ChaseSP posted:

The new edf game is a reboot of the series with nobody knowing about giant insects.

They also took out my boy Hector and replaced him with some frog-rear end motherfucker.

I’ve shared my displeasure via targeted artillery strikes about the matter.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

JebanyPedal posted:

Reloads due to enemies killing me: 2
Reloads due to Ian burst fire murdering me in the back to kill a rat: 50

I recently played through Fallout with a friend who never had before watching, and by the time Ian finally died in Necropolis (the natural deathpoint of all Ians you leave to their own devices) he had such a burning hatred for him it was magical.

Caleb, aka Ian 2, didn’t fair much better.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

People complaining about Irons feels like being shocked and appalled at actual horror showing up in their horror video games.

Pike yeah zombies and their goopy grossness are kinda scary, but having an actual horrifying situation and person showing up is a bridge too far and “in bad taste” or whatever. Zombie movies are always ultimately horrifying because of the people that aren’t the zombies, complaining about that seems to so utterly miss the goddamn point its baffling.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

Don't you have to at least visit Blighttown to ring the bell to open Sen's Fortress?

If you choose the Master Key as your starting gift you can come in from Firelink and it’s a very short run to Quelaag and the bell, skipping 95% of the area.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

In my defense it’s been years since I played Dark Souls and I’m very tired. :v:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

moosecow333 posted:

- The game gave me a kick rear end giant bipedal robot after the fourth level. Forty levels later I haven’t been given the chance to use it since, other than a battle which was really just a cut scene, there have been no enemies I could actually use it on.

Balaam is really more of a victory lap when you get it as a drop. Also an effective way to annoy your friends when playing drunk as you try to fistfight Hectors and punch drones out of the sky. :v:

This leads me to a thing dragging EDF 5 down: my beautiful Hectors are gone and I demand them back.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Druidstone: Some missions seem to decide you’re going too slow and start flooding the map with a never ending cavalcade of bullshit after like three rounds. One in particular where I have to gather five flowers has been especially frustrating, since its already full of beefy enemies and then whoops go faster or get swarmed as it spawns about six more enemies every other turn.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Samuringa posted:

what the gently caress

If you don’t like adorable cat puns then Monster Hunter is not the series for you and also you’re a monster get away from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I think we’re all forgetting the secret real protagonist of Disco Elysium, Horrific Necktie.