Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Firstly, some indie-games:

Hero Of The Kingdom

An indie game with an upcoming sequel. The actual gameplay, storyline and such isn't a drag but some of the in-game achievements are a complete pixel hunt. I can understand that achievements need to be earned but not by clicking on a random cluster of tree's to find a 8x8 pixelated image with only one or two pixels on show.

100% Orange Juice

I bought this on a Steam sale on a whim purely as it looked interesting. What I found out pretty early on is that the game is rigged with the computer controlled characters dice roles. Apparently someone looked into the source code and found that they are indeed rigged, in certain scenarios one character has a one in thirty-six chance of rolling a one instead of a one in six chance. I expect a challenge, but I expect it to be fair and based on luck, but not something based on where I'm at a complete disadvantage on every turn.

Redshirt

A pretty interesting and fun concept initially. But if you get into a relationship you're always ending up with an attention seeking monster. Plus everyone you make friends with is an attention seeking idiot who will hate you for not spending your precious time responding to their endless messages when you're trying to accomplish your own goals and such. Pretty much like real life I guess...

FTL: Faster Than Light

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. It's one of the most highest replay value games I've ever come across. But at times the randomness of it makes replaying it frustrating. Even with some of the most basic unlocks, even with walkthrough's on how to unlock them in the most simplest ways. After the fifth, tenth, fiftieth replayed game without any of those random events appearing I'm just wondering if I should put in another try. I've been in Rock home world's dozens of times and not once found that trigger. Yet I've unlocked Stealth and Crystal completely by accident and nothing else in another twenty or so runs!

A bigger title:

Just Cause

Something that was addressed in the sequel, the save system. In the original title saves happened after certain events, so going off and spending time doing some side missions would be worthless if you hadn't of advanced the main storyline. Spend an hour doing your own thing? Well when you return you can do it all over again as you didn't follow the main missions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm out of the times with this post. I decided to be reckless a few weeks ago and bought Assassin's Creed 1-4 (None of the semi-sequels, just the four main titles.)

Assassin's Creed 1 was okay at first, but the thing that sucked the most about it was that you were meant to be a legendary assassin. What pissed me off the most was the amount of forced combat with multiple opponents who's main move was punching you in the crotch at every moment, especially in the later missions. You need to reach a certain character in a remote camp, are you able to be stealthy with creeping through the woods and undergrowth? Nah, just ride headlong straight to the camp, battle two or three dozen enemies and you'll get there and be greeted by half a dozen more foes who are out to lay town on your crotch even further. I'm thankful that the final battle bugged out on me.

Assassin's Creed 2 had some improvement's, it was better in some ways. But the whole trying to run around something but end up jumping to my death instead became grating, as well as constantly running up against a wall while more and more guards surrounded you was another no matter what direction you pressed.

I started the third, but by then I was already dead inside.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I got a chance to play Fallout 4 for a little while earlier, all I got was brighter palette's and then just switched off when it came to the whole crafting element.

Fallout 2 will always be the top of the list even though it was a complete buggy mess. If anyone feels like they they need to spend an age collecting resources and such to craft a wall instead of immersing themselves in the quest's and storyline's that are on offer is a mystery. I may be cynical in my old age, but when it comes to RPG's I'm more about finishing a story than finding that final nail to build a cupboard that I always dreamed of. I did play Fallout 3, the less said about it the better.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Collectibles drag most things down. L.A. Noire is an exception.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Darkest Dungeon

I've been loving this game since I started playing it a couple of weeks ago. It's brutal even when you're on top, I get the game mechanics and accept it, if anything it's a breath of fresh air even if it's frustrating at times. But gently caress those enemies who can wreck your poo poo with one critical hit. Maxed character with fully upgraded equipment and abilities? Take this tree branch to the face which fully drains health. I see that they're at death's door, let my weak buddy go next with an attack that damages for a total of one and.... you're dead. That's the first battle done, only eighteen more rooms to explore....

I love this game, just at times.... AAARRRGHHHERDYHQ£%YERYHDYRH$H

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bound By Flame. I've never wanted a game to be over as much as I wanted this one to be. I didn't "romance," only had to talk to an NPC if it was required, anything that prolonged the game any further just caused further agony.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did you know if you stop playing the game, it ends?

I know it does, but when I pay money for something I want to get my mileage out of it. I bought it on Steam on sale about a year before playing it, I know the refund system is a lot easier these days but I think at this point I might be stretching things. I paid for it so I decided to be stubborn and finish it.

Saying that, I bought it in a bundle and I haven't even touched the other three games yet. Bollocks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

"Gosh, I hate this and wish it was over. Well I paid good money to hate it so better keep on truckin' I guess!" - an idiot, aka you

You have a limited time on this earth and you are pissing it away.

My Steam accounts lists 13 hours from start to end, I've pissed away more away in other ventures. This game seemed to have potential within me at first to deliver but it didn't to me personally and by the time I realised that I was over halfway through and decided to see it through to the end. There's been plenty of games that I've played which didn't seem much at first, but after some hard work is done it's paid off and they became a joy to play and experience. I may have been ambitious in my statement of paying for games and sticking through it, but after posting I scrolled through my games list and realised I was over-stating that. I could list the Family Guy game but I knew it was poo poo when I bought it. I just didn't expect so much of a fallout from the original post.

It was a game of promise that failed and delivered less than I anticipated, I played through it as it offered more than it actually gave me. It was by my own stupidity for thinking it could redeem itself and never did. Even though it never delivered I completed it thinking it might offer some reward in it's storytelling, game play and characterisation. I was wrong for doing so, I knew this before I posted about it, thank you everyone for drilling it home even more about a lovely experience with a game in a thread about lovely experiences with games.