Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

credburn posted:

I never use scrolls in RPGs. My magic users already got spells, and my non-magic users got their own tricks.

Useful in BG3 though because the scrolls don't use up spell slots. Like sometimes I will have a character use a scroll for a spell they already know just so I'm not using up a slot that I will need later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DrBouvenstein posted:

The new Prince of Persia has a decent map overall, but it still does something I've seen countless games do.

It has icons that it DOES NOT LIST in the "Legend."

I'd understand if it was, like, a "goal" or if I picked up a widget that said "go investigate this room, there's another widget for you" and it was a new icon that you then discovered. But these are rooms I've already been in with icons.

At least for some of them I figured it out. There are "hidden chests" in some rooms where you need to figure out the task to make the chest appear. Icons appear in the room after you get the chest. Which almost seems backwards to me...it should appear when you discover the room, and then disappear once you collect the chest, no? So you can track it better?

Not necessarily. There is value in having the game track what you've completed rather than things to complete. It could track both of course, but I've played games (including from Ubisoft) where that makes for map clutter and icons that are hard to differentiate from each other at a glance.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

So Skull & Bones mostly plays like the ship combat from Black Flag with one big exception. Boarding ships is just a perfunctory option instead of actually doing it and having hand to hand combat with the enemy crew. You basically just damage a ship part way, then hit the "board" button which hooks you on to the enemy ship and you get some extra loot.

Sweet, who wants to swing on ropes and land on an enemy ship and get into swashbuckling action. Get that crap out of my pirate game.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 00:31 on Feb 11, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The double jump might just be my #1 Videogamey Thing. And I don't mean enjoying it on a gameplay level. Stuff like carrying tons of weapons, enemies having glowing red weak spots, or eating random food off the ground in an alleyway are all just streamlined representations of real things but the double jump was just some dude going "ok so you know how you can jump, right? What if you could just like, jump again? Nono, not twice. I mean jump from your jump. In mid-air."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Breetai posted:

Intrinsic character double jumps are for cowards and particularly sensitive children who do not have the strength to look a plummeting Yoshi in the eye every single time a particularly wide or tall gap demands a sacrifice.

I know you gritted your teeth when I learned double jump and I know you cracked down to the root when I added a forward flip to it. It's just style, honey, I hope you find some one day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ms Adequate posted:

They should make a game with a completely realistic jump mechanic. Like 2/100 Acrobatics in Morrowind levels of height and utility. A useless little hop a few inches off the ground with no air control or anything, but it doesn't matter because you wouldn't be airborne long enough to change anything anyway.

This sounds kinda bad actually maybe they shouldn't make it

Jumping is kind of boring and unfair with digital buttons so stuff like air control makes sense to throw the player a bone but honestly a more realistic jump using an analog trigger would be a cool idea to explore.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Putting dodge on a non-face button is a disgrace.

Didn't FFXVI do that?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Philippe posted:

It's usually spacebar, holding ctrl, or double tapping a directional key.

This guy Hawks

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Riatsala posted:

the only game allowed to put jump on a shoulder button is Ape Escape for the PSX

Feel like the best thing to use shoulder buttons for is making the ape scratch their head.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I accept it completely. I've faced many big spiders and scorpions in videogames over the years. Other people might be so bold as to say a lot. It's good to get other cool creatures represented. Earth has had quite a few!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The outrage over the yellow handholds in the new FF7 mystifies me. Unless there is actually some kind of challenge or puzzle related to the way up, please just give me some clear sign of what's climbable, thanks. I don't really want to waste time second-guessing how good the devs were at their texture or lighting work when it comes to making handholds distinguishable from other rock or whatever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snake Maze posted:

I've never played the FF7 remakes and I probably won't ever get around to it, so as an impartial outsider I can say with authority: the yellow paint looks dumb. "Oh but the devs have to make the game look dumb because of all those dumb gamers who are going to play it" I mean, sure, whatever, I'm sure they've done focus testing and stuff, but it still looks dumb. You don't have to be polite about it to spare their feelings.

I prefer "looks dumb" over specifying that it's about immersion. Especially a game like FF7R which is artificial as all hell. And I don't mean unrealistic in the way NoiseAnnoys mentioned, I mean it's very videogame-y all over. At no point could I ever go whoa, it's like I'm really there!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Meowywitch posted:

not playing on normal the first time is kinda psycho poo poo

If you've truly never played a game in that genre before or from that developer, then yes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arrath posted:

I would have thought the cyborg covered in armor plates would have negative buoyancy but yeah

Being a cyborg means his underwater jumping is leagues above everyone else's.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Opopanax posted:

I'm glad that modern game design has mostly gotten rid of lives, they were always an annoying concept that did more harm than good

E: you guys know what I mean, but I'm going to leave that the way it is

I do know what you mean, yeah. I have no life thanks to videogames.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

I-frames are a game design crutch for games that can't do repositioning and attack timing as an important part of combat. :colbert:

It's also part of how videogames for whatever reason have soured on perfect block so every character now either needs to be a parry master or be diving and rolling around on the ground. The first training knights would get when they donned their plate armour would be from a gymnastics coach who would teach them the ways of tumbling and somersaulting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There were times I felt a tinge of disappointment at getting to level cap early in Act 3 but then I remembered all of the times I've played a game where it felt lovely to get end-game abilities at... well, the end of the game. Especially if the game has NG+ and you're not really expecting to go through it, those games tend to make your first playthrough simply the foundation of what your character(s) can do. Assuming a combat system is deep enough to keep you engaged without giving you new presents to unwrap the whole way through, I much prefer having my character "set" for a good long while towards the end.

Also it was nice to have choices about what to do not influenced by earning XP.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Roblo posted:

I started reading a book the other day but then I realised there were no levels so what's the point?

I know you're kidding but Goodreads has kind of gamified books for lots of people.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm content with no rewards

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CordlessPen posted:

I respectfully disagree; I think you need invincibility frames in most dodge moves to make up for the fact that games only have canned animations with hitboxes/hurtboxes that don't really match at the best of times. I get where you guys are coming from and to be honest I agree on paper: it can obviously be done wrong, and dodging forward into gunfire and not getting hurt is silly, but if done right the i-frames are there to compensate for the fact that you might have wanted to slightly twist your torso to dodge a swing but the only thing you could do is roll 10 feet to wither side, plus even if you did move your hitbox would still have to be an upright rectangle so you're getting hit anyway. I think DMC5 is an amazing example of i-frames done right; it has very specific timing and the animations lend a lot of credibility to your avoiding damage so it looks pretty good (and feels amazing).

Agreed. Everything in games starts out as abstract and even when lots of realism is added in, combat and fighting is still very much just an approximation. Unless the dodge move is built only to function as a way to get out of range of an enemy's reach, it should have i-frames to account for how one dodge move is really supposed to represent many forms of avoiding an attack.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ms Adequate posted:

A sense of growing character strength is a pretty fundamental part of how video games do RPGs so it isn't surprising that some people dislike a low level cap.

Me, it's me, I'm some people.

Yeah but like exquisite tea said, the level cap isn't actually where you stop growing more powerful because there's sick loot to be found after that. The problem is what constitutes a low level because I imagine many players aren't hitting the cap until late in Act 3, if at all, if they aren't as completionist as others.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ms Adequate posted:

On the other hand, without Lara where would boys in the 90s have had to look to develop their interests in women?

There's a pretty popular remake game that just came out that answers that question.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Randalor posted:

Saturday afternoon fashion shows on CTV with models wearing sheer tops.

Late Friday night CityTV. When I saw Liar, Liar with my parents I had to suppress the "hey, I know her!" reaction when Krista Allen showed up in the elevator.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why don't D&D fans simply play the edition they want?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

D&D started to become much more popular with 5E starting with Critical Role / Dimension 20 and now BG3. Convincing a crowd of mostly newcomers to learn 4E when all they've seen of D&D comes from fifth edition is kind of a non-starter. They wanna play the version they see on youtube.

I was more asking about the 3 players incensed about 4 back in the day. New players trying to start with old versions would be harder cuz all that stuff would be second-hand only I imagine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bussamove posted:

I too keep my big magic in my underwear.

Oh, so it's a disappearing act.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JackSplater posted:

Bring back weapon wheels, damnit.

"Back"? I've been hoping we can get rid of them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really like the shotguns in Helldivers because they're not the usual videogamey firearms equivalent of a big sword swing. They have real range and a tight spread.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rockman Reserve posted:

the only reason a game shouldn’t have fast travel is if the world is dynamic enough to mean you’ll see new things even walking the same route

games don’t really do this

Or if the game is confident enough in how fun the travelling itself is, which is extremely rare. Even Spider-Man, which would be near the top of the list, still gives the player fast travel options and then in #2 gives you a near-instant teleport to almost any spot in the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't remember climbing stamina but Spider-Man games did limit overall webs use I think up until the PS2.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

credburn posted:

I think media needs to cool it with the "of the" titling for a little while.

If we're doing requests, it would also be good to hold off on any more A Blank of This and That.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

The Lawnmower Man on NES/Gameboy. Yes, I did beat that game although it was via emulator.

You say "although" when I feel that makes your experience actually closer to the spirit of the film.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bossy lady posted:

I have no clue how the gently caress I beat this game as a kid. I sure as gently caress can't do it as an adult.

Homework avoidance was like a performance-enhancing drug.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JackSplater posted:

Helldivers 2

It's a lot of fun to play, especially with friends, but I'm still a low level so I don't have any of the fun call-ins. People join my game and are calling down massive artillery barrages or mortars or orbital lasers and I'm sitting here with a couple of guns and a tiny orbital strike. Yes, I know where you unlock more, but those are both level and money gated.

Name's LobokVonZuben if you're on PSN. If we team-up I can bring stuff in my loadout for you to use or try. You want a mech?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'll also say: kill counts are not a big deal. I have never seen a high kill count and thought dang, what an amazing player or what a great teammate to have. It's a feel-good number at the end of a mission but it doesn't really mean much.

Killing the most enemies can mean simply that you took on a lot of unnecessary fights. Or conversely, if your count is low then maybe you were on a hunt for POIs or you focused more on enemy spawn points or fortifications or your kills were more focused on the heavies and not all the chaff or you brought a lot of stuff to stun to make everyone else's job of killing easier, etc.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know about Starsky & Hutch but I used to love playing Lucky & Wild. It had a steering wheel and two guns so the passenger could either dual wield or the driver could drive & fire with the passenger firing the remaining gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

I really liked the first Jedi game and been playing the second since it hit gamepass but it’s definitely inferior. As mentioned, it’s buggy, bad texture work and I’m having lots of audio issues. Technical stuff aside, I’m finding the locations much less interesting and really miss the personal dynamic from the first game that really seems to be missing from this one. Combat feels much less fluid and responsive and the overall platforming parts are really janky. I’m glad I didn’t actually buy the game

9/10

more like

the first game, please!