Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Great Enoch posted:

I know it's an old conversation from four years ago but the action direction for the swordplay has definitely got a lot better in the last two seasons. Jaime's sparring sessions with Bronn were great. Looking forward to the trial by combat.
The most interesting fights happened in the first season IMO. Bronn championing Tyrion, or Jorah championing Dany, or Mountain vs. Hound. They all had an idea, which is why they were interesting to watch.
Jaime vs. Bronn wasn't a fight, but a dangerous fighter beating up a handicapped guy. Good scene, but not a fight.
I especially dislike the recent fights in Essos last season, with our band of heroes murdering mooks while quipping manlyly. Asha vs. Ramsay, or Jon at Craster's Keep were boring too. They felt a lot more like action for the sake of action to me.

Also, the Mountain murdering starved prisoners was one of the worst scenes of the series.

However, the preview for 8 looks exciting in this regard. (Previews aren't spoilers, right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Great Enoch posted:

I wasn't complaining about the choreography so much (although I didn't like it either - they seemed to follow this conflicting logic of trying to emphasise the weight and inertia of steel while making them act like lightsabers when it suited them or when they actually stopped dueling and contacted flesh) as the direction, shooting and the actor's performances. You could clearly see that they're swinging their way through a planned choreography that was supposed to imply messiness and improvisation. They got that down a lot tighter now, especially with shooting and editing for pace. It's not really a criticism as it's an incredibly hard thing to accomplish, especially with weapons that people don't actually know that much about anymore.
Oh okay, I wasn't so much about choreography and direction.
I'm rather ... Jorah vs. Dothraki dude makes a bunch of important points in story form. Bronn's fight did an enormous amount of characterisation for so many characters. Also, in either case, you feel a real person is gonna end up dead.
Jorah, Grey Worm and Daaario killing a bunch of mooks, not so much. Jon at Craster's, not so much. The point was "hero dudes killing mooks because that's inherently exciting right?".

Great Enoch posted:

The mountain shot this ep. was pretty loving terrible though. You wonder why some directors and DPs on TV have such bad ideas.
In this case, I wonder why the people who usually avoid at least some of the typical pitfalls of storytelling walked right into one here. It felt so out of place. As if The Dark Knight Returns had featured Batman & Robin Bane. Only not funny.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 21, 2014

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xenoborg posted:

Whats funny about this is all the fights in your good list are straight from the books, and all the fights from your bad list were made up for the show (some due to plot changes, some due to there just not being a POV character to see them).
Not intentional, I swear.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Angela Christine posted:

Sansa is awful, but I don't know how much you can really hold her accountable for. She's a young teenager. She's not even had her first period at the beginning of the story so right in the middle of puberty/hormonal insanity. Most of us were pretty awful at that time of life.
Sansa was also presented in a quite favourable light at times, for example, right at the beginning of the first episode of the 2nd season, when she warmly greats Tyrion and tricks Joffrey into not killing Dontos.

• Locked thread