Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Is it weird that I still really appreciate wet pavement done well? First Sleepy Dogs and now this. It's a minor thing but it's always been lovely before.

Interesting that if you get to the caller in time the cops don't actually get to come out and play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ataru13 posted:

If it makes you feel any better they've revealed the spider mechs aren't real; they're part of an augmented reality minigame you play on you're in game phone.

Noooo don't tell him. He's already decided long ago, you don't need to open that line of thinking again!

I don't think Aiden's outfit is goony. He's not even wearing a fedora, OP!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Moartoast posted:

Someone finally leaked a bit of proper HD footage that shows off some car 'splosions and civilian reactions to Aiden going postal. Nothing too remarkable, but it's neat. (For posterity, here's a mirror if it gets taken down from DM)

Only pet-peeve I have so far is lack of bullet wounds, but that's just me being a sperg spoiled by RDR and MP3.

Judging from this video the civilians are more afraid of getting wet from the rain than from the maniac shotgunning people two feet away. :v:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Noooo don't tell him. He's already decided long ago, you don't need to open that line of thinking again!

I don't think Aiden's outfit is goony. He's not even wearing a fedora, OP!

You joke but people in the previous thread were salivating over this outfit.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
I know in essence running into a shop and running back out to shoot up a city is nothing revolutionary but I still think this game looks amazing. I guess this is the ps4 version which looks tremendous. I can love without the glorious bullet holes in exchange for the smooth physics and pretty explosions.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You joke but people in the previous thread were salivating over this outfit.

Who wasn't salivating for the Darkman mod?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
What does someone whom has never played an Assassin's Creed game and has very briefly played a Far Cry game have to expect from Watch_Dogs?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Charles Martel posted:

What does someone whom has never played an Assassin's Creed game and has very briefly played a Far Cry game have to expect from Watch_Dogs?

A thin line between hilarious AI exploitation and the entire game gibbering madly as it all falls apart, in between a trite story and rather enjoyable open world. Mix in a few (thousand) tailing missions for spice, some wanton murder and maybe some religious exposition.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Charles Martel posted:

And a game that goes absolutely bonkshit crazy after the first half.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Come on. This is a new IP. Maybe this game will not be defined by the idiosyncrasies and hilarious excesses of their own most well known franchises?

... Nah

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Come on. This is a new IP. Maybe this game will not be defined by the idiosyncrasies and hilarious excesses of their own most well known franchises?

... Nah

A story of betrayal conspiracy and redemption. A gripping tale that will have you on the edge of your seat all the way to the alien invasion that God sent as punishment for inventing anime. Are you an epic enough hacker to Occupy Heaven?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I for one expect it to be just as good as I thought it was when I saw the first preview end with Aidan pull a guy out of a car, before knowing Ubisoft made it. :colbert:

:sigh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

... Nah

Joking or not, it probably will be. I'm looking at Watch Dogs as a sort of Assassin's Creed 1 situation. It may end up a complete mess, ultimately mediocre and not that great, but it'll probably have a lot of promise that will (hopefully) be borne out in Watch Dogs 2: All Of Our Internets.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 18, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Orv posted:

Joking or not, it probably will be. I'm looking at Watch Dogs as a sort of Assassin's Creed 1 situation. It may end up a complete mess, ultimately mediocre and not that great, but it'll probably have a lot of promise that will (hopefully) be born out in Watch Dogs 2: All Of Our Internets.

Excuse me, but AC1 was a pretty good game, with a tight story and good, progressing gameplay.

And not loving around with worthless money.

:colbert:

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Orv posted:

Interesting that if you get to the caller in time the cops don't actually get to come out and play.

It looks like there was even a "Jam Coms" hack that he selected but didn't use, which is presumably used to interrupt calls in a more subtle manner than uh, slo-mo capping dudes in the face :v:

That whole thing kind of reminds me of Red Dead Redemption's witness system, just a whole lot more refined. And call me shallow, but reminding me of RDR in any way is basically the fast lane into my pants wallet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

Excuse me, but AC1 was a pretty good game, with a tight story and good, progressing gameplay.

And not loving around with worthless money.

:colbert:

On its own merits, it's a fine game, but compared to 2 it's basically the idiot kid brother. :colbert:

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

I said come in! posted:

Everything about this game looks really great, and I can't wait to play it.

Now just wait a loving minute here. The Established Internet Circlejerk (EIC™)is that this game will be terrible because it lacks a Pulitzer winning plot (not actually confirmed), is developed and published by Ubisoft (Lol those big publishers are pretty poo poo guys, rite? Also Uplay is satan because reasons!) and because it doesn't completely revolutionise the open world or cyberpunk genre(also not actually confirmed). Games can't be good unless they are really high-minded wankfests. So I advise you to pull your head out of your arse and jump on the bandwagon.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Orv posted:

On its own merits, it's a fine game, but compared to 2 it's basically the idiot kid brother. :colbert:

I would honestly say that 2 is worse than one but that is probably just me.
I like the concept of "Go stab that dude for that reason. Done? Good, here is some stuff to stab the next dude even better."

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Moartoast posted:

It looks like there was even a "Jam Coms" hack that he selected but didn't use, which is presumably used to interrupt calls in a more subtle manner than uh, slo-mo capping dudes in the face :v:

You can snatch phones out of peoples hands too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

I would honestly say that 2 is worse than one but that is probably just me.
I like the concept of "Go stab that dude for that reason. Done? Good, here is some stuff to stab the next dude even better."

Give me 1 with interesting missions instead of "do three minigames" and you've got my vote.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Scumbag posted:

Now just wait a loving minute here. The Established Internet Circlejerk (EIC™)is that this game will be terrible because it lacks a Pulitzer winning plot (not actually confirmed), is developed and published by Ubisoft (Lol those big publishers are pretty poo poo guys, rite? Also Uplay is satan because reasons!) and because it doesn't completely revolutionise the open world or cyberpunk genre(also not actually confirmed). Games can't be good unless they are really high-minded wankfests. So I advise you to pull your head out of your arse and jump on the bandwagon.

I'd just rather it have meaningful gameplay that plays well.

The best sandbox game released in years, if you ask me, was Gravity Rush, because falling your way through a floating city is basically the best possible way to use your time. If running around and hacking is as fun and engaging as falling is in Gravity Rush, the game will be awesome. It really depends on how they implement their core mechanics, and how well thought out the game's challenges and movement is.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Orv posted:

Give me 1 with interesting missions instead of "do three minigames" and you've got my vote.

The seven (or nine?) assassinations that are led up to?

e: Look, I am not saying it's a perfect game. The side missions are on the boring side, yes. But it is just a much more smooth and progressing experience than getting distracted with literally everything else.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 18, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

The seven (or nine?) assassinations that are led up to?

I mean instead of the dumb investigation stuff being the same every time. The assassinations themselves were great, but instead of tailing two dudes, picking a pocket of some randomly picked NPC and beating up a guy, give me a mission where I infiltrate the second targets organisation in some way. If I remember correctly the second target was the weapon smuggler, have me take down a convoy of his and interrogate one of the guards or something.

E: I might just go play AC1 through again on the wait.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 18, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I think it looks bad, actually.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Orv posted:

A thin line between hilarious AI exploitation and the entire game gibbering madly as it all falls apart, in between a trite story and rather enjoyable open world. Mix in a few (thousand) tailing missions for spice, some wanton murder and maybe some religious exposition.

Michaellaneous posted:

And a game that goes absolutely bonkshit crazy after the first half.

Sedisp posted:

A story of betrayal conspiracy and redemption. A gripping tale that will have you on the edge of your seat all the way to the alien invasion that God sent as punishment for inventing anime. Are you an epic enough hacker to Occupy Heaven?

So if I understand this correctly: A game that suffers from an originality paradox where it's best to just strap in and enjoy the ride of madness?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Charles Martel posted:

So if I understand this correctly: A game that suffers from an originality paradox where it's best to just strap in and enjoy the ride of madness?

Strap in tight son, because where you are going, crazy gets a new meaning.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Charles Martel posted:

Where we're going, we don't need a writing staff.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ppl who've been following this: Does the hacking seem to meet expectations? Like, volume, unique marks, etc.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

:cripes:

Blue Raider posted:

Does the hacking seem to meet expectations? Like, volume, unique marks, etc.

I imagine there will be a dozen or so really impressive and heavily scripted hacking sequences in the main mission arc, then some standard "push x repeatedly to hack!!!" garbage that you'll have to slog through the rest of the time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azurrat posted:

:cripes:

I imagine there will be a dozen or so really impressive and heavily scripted hacking sequences in the main mission arc, then some standard "push x repeatedly to hack!!!" garbage that you'll have to slog through the rest of the time.

Thankfully it seems everything that is available to hack is a single button press or a hold.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Azurrat posted:

There are a couple of different kinds of hack.

With Aiden's phone, you can push a button to take control of various connected devices throughout the city as long as you have a direct line of sight to them, because he's got access to backdoors programmed into the operating system. That's just point and click: cameras, doors, gates, transformer vaults, etc.

You also run into "hotspots," which are routers and terminals that have firewalls protecting them. These are solved by means of a particular kind of puzzle.

There are several puzzles of the latter sort scattered throughout the main game, and several in the side missions.

A lot of Aiden's "hacks" in the main game are done by means of social engineering rather than outright computer wizardry, as Aiden is a proficient enough hacker but it isn't where his real skills lie.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
so basically exactly what I said. Gotcha.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Hopefully this carries on the tradition of AC's fine storytelling and ends with you having a duel with the CyberPope in some alien ruins.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
How many reward points will I need for the wallpaper?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Seeing that video, I guess my going a non-lethal route just isn't going to be an option :saddowns: Then again I shouldn't jump to conclusions, seeing a video entirely devoted to violence was the only thing on offer.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I like how you can just walk into an internet-cafe looking GUN store right off the street and buy a grenade launcher. Good to see Big Brother is watching.
Even 'super serious' GTA4 put the gun stores in basements and back-alleys.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
I feel like the description of how multiplayer can work in this game has changed over and over. What's the final status of roaming around with friends in a non-competitive way?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Honestly, I want all games to be awesome. I've just played enough titles from this studio tag team to know that ridiculous things might show up and be played straight. I'll be happy if it turns out to be truly different and interesting, but they have a formula and it's been working for them sales-wise.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Games can't be good unless they are really high-minded wankfests.
You know no one was saying that. Sleeping Dogs was far from high art but it was pitch perfect. A nice balance of humor and drama that wasn't overwrought, giving you stuff to care about as you progressed through the game. The last few Saints Row stories had flaws but they also worked by virtue of being as absurd as the gameplay.

When people criticize Ubisoft's open world games (aside from Blood Dragon) it's because they're essentially Dan Brown or low end Michael Crichton in video game form. It's schlock that takes itself seriously and expects your mind to be blown.

The framing device in AC4 was playful and conceptually cool, but even that was squandered when it came time to have the player do something within it and progress the story. If Watch Dogs can do something equally ridiculous but pull it off that would be great.

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011

Judakel posted:

How many reward points will I need for the wallpaper?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Moartoast posted:

Someone finally leaked a bit of proper HD footage that shows off some car 'splosions and civilian reactions to Aiden going postal. Nothing too remarkable, but it's neat. (For posterity, here's a mirror if it gets taken down from DM)

Only pet-peeve I have so far is lack of bullet wounds, but that's just me being a sperg spoiled by RDR and MP3.

I've yet to see a video game car explosion look that nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Honestly, I want all games to be awesome. I've just played enough titles from this studio tag team to know that ridiculous things might show up and be played straight. I'll be happy if it turns out to be truly different and interesting, but they have a formula and it's been working for them sales-wise.

You know no one was saying that. Sleeping Dogs was far from high art but it was pitch perfect. A nice balance of humor and drama that wasn't overwrought, giving you stuff to care about as you progressed through the game. The last few Saints Row stories had flaws but they also worked by virtue of being as absurd as the gameplay.

When people criticize Ubisoft's open world games (aside from Blood Dragon) it's because they're essentially Dan Brown or low end Michael Crichton in video game form. It's schlock that takes itself seriously and expects your mind to be blown.

The framing device in AC4 was playful and conceptually cool, but even that was squandered when it came time to have the player do something within it and progress the story. If Watch Dogs can do something equally ridiculous but pull it off that would be great.

While I found Sleeping dogs to be really fun, the story felt incredibly disjointed near the mid-end. I've got a feeling they were forced to cut out a lot of stuff.
I would also say it never really focused on being "funny". A lot of the open world activities also felt like an afterthought, and it felt kinda pointless trying to hunt them down after a while.
And don't get me started on SR4, it was one of my biggest disappointments that year.

What I'm trying to say is to each their own. Also, is it the same team that worked on the AC games that are working on this game?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 18, 2014

• Locked thread