Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

hopterque posted:

One of the teams working on the game is Ubisoft Reflections, Reflections being the developer of the Driver games, including Driver: San Francisco. The part of the game that they specifically worked on was the vehicle gameplay, which is why in gameplay videos the driving parts look a whole heck of a lot like Driver:SF in terms of how the cars control.

It's also almost certainly why we're getting the cool as heck in car cam.

Thats fantastic, Driver SF had probably my favourite driving gameplay in years. Get in first person, nail a huge drift through traffic, feel like the fantasy driver king.

Also weird and playful and goofy in a way that more games need to be. I really hope there is a new Driver game sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Moartoast posted:

Haven't they even specifically stated that Watch Dogs was specifically being made as a Driver sequel before it grew into a larger project? Either way, I'm definitely happy that the driving mechanics will be similar to D:SF. Even seems to still have some tongue-in-cheek humour in there as well, which is nice to see in a game like this.

Wasn't this The Crew?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Re: Driving problems. Are you guys using keyboard on PC or a gamepad?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

hopterque posted:

The driving is really great and feels a lot like driver: san fran to me but maybe that's because I'm not a terrible person so I use the dash cam?

Driver was god awful if you were in chase, and amazing in car, but tbh the balance of opinnion is definately leaning towards lovely here.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
At night, in the rain, the game looks pretty drat good.

During the day, in the dry it looks pretty average.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
An FYI for performance issues.

The game has an option to control the GPU buffer. If you have triple buffering forced on in the NVIDIA control panel like I do, expect a big old lovely framerate. Kill triple bufferinig, immediate enormous improvement.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This alone is what I say to everyone who "lost interest". Driver San Francisco was the greatest driving game made, hands down. That had a meh gimmick, but it still was incredible fun, as I expect Watch Dogs to be. Just an hour more for the UK to wait.

I agree that Driver San Francisco is the best driving game with the best driving mechanics.

Watch_Dogs does not feel like Driver : San Francisco.

It's not the worst driving I've ever played and theres definately some over the top comments of how bad it is, but it's definately down at the lower end of open world car physics.

It's hard to place quite why it's wierd, but I think it's down to the input curves being kind of weird rather than anything on the physics side of things, but it definately feels quite stiff and unnatural when making relatively minor manouvers. I don't think it's unplayable or anything though, it's just a little rough.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Bobtista posted:

It is. Most cars handle like blocks of ice at anything above average speed.

Just cause 2 on the consoles had about a full second input lag that meant it felt like APB. (If you played it on a decent PC you wouldn't have that.)

Watch_Dogs is nowhere near that bad.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Oh hell, is there really only a single save slot?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Bobtista posted:

Yes, no manual save either that I could find. Autosave or nothing.

I'm playing it on PC, this means my housemate can't play without buying a copy since theres one save slot and you're locked to the Uplay profile. The PC is set up hooked into the TV specifically to replace consoles. What a pain in the dick.

^^^
It feels literally nothing like Driver San Fran. At all. I don't think it's the ice block nightmare some of these guys do, but it's deffo stiff and kind of bad.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Man, I really want Vsync on because the tearing is pretty nasty otherwise, but my 770GTX doesn't seem to want to with everything up on ultra, which is a bit unpleasant.

I guess I'm shooting for 60 over the consoles 30. I could lock Vsync to 30 in the options for console parity I guess?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I got to the "try Uplay offline" thing once, hit retry, then I got an unrecoverable error.

Now I just get the error. Fun!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

WMain00 posted:

Please for the love of god patch this soon so that it will stop the incessant stuttering and freezing!

It's got absolutely nothing to do with my PC, it's all to do with extremely poor engine optimization.

I had this, but I've fixed it by some magic combination of stuff.

Try putting -disablepagefilecheck in the Steam command line arguments thing (This seems to be the biggy)
Try turning off triple buffering if it is forced on in the Nvidia control panel
Try running in a borderless window (Many people saying this works)
Try running fullscreen (Borderless window makes things worse for me)
Try setting Vsync to 1 frame instead of 2
Try setting GPU frame buffering to 2 instead of 3

I've got it sitting happily with most things at Ultra with a liiiittle stutter, and pretty solid Vsynced 60 if I drop shadows to high instead of Ultra.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Solly posted:

Can you still disable the page file if you have the uplay edition.

You should be able to just put it under the target box of a desktop shortcut, thats all the steam command line stuff equates to.

Apparently you need plenty of system ram for this btw.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 27, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
This game is great because hacking someones grenade and watching him freak out and toss it to his buddy is great.

^^ I've been watching for any references to Abstergo existing within WD, but nothing as yet. The weird proliferation of evil cybertech would fit the AC universes ultra tech level though.

Playing through this game, it really is very shadowrun sometimes.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 27, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Zaphod42 posted:

Never play on fullscreen, Windows handles it like rear end.

Would be nice if MS could get their poo poo together one of these days...

I get the exact opposite effect though? I'm probably looking at about half the framerate in bordered.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

TheAsterite posted:

I've seen a lot of people have an issue with the driving. Is it better or worse than Saints Row 3?

I'm coming round to it the more I play. It will never be good, but it's passable.

It's not really comparible to SR3 because that was super arcadey and this is kind of subdued, but I definately prefered SR3. Theres something odd about how much the steering ramps up as you slow down, so I end up oversteering a lot at lower speeds.

What is fun as gently caress is the car stealth stuff though, sneaking through the streets, ducking into alleys, shutting off your lights, it's great fun and feels like the bit at the start of Drive.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

TerminalBlue posted:

Despite initially hating the hell out of the driving controls, now that I'm used to it I'm really liking them amazingly enough. I'm even enjoying online races despite myself.

The big thing for me was fixing the stutter (Dropped the res a little bit, went to a better AA to compensate, looks fine, runs 100x better)

The stutter kills driving

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Re - Driving with stutter.

My current theory is that the game locks your input for a few frames during stutter, and when the game comes back from that brief moment in limbo it throws your car to poo poo. I don't think it's that the physics change at low framerate rather than the game becoming unresponsive during the stutter.

Seriously though, drop your res, AA or the textures a bit more and the stutter will almost certainly largely vanish.

I get the whole 1080p master race thing but going down to 1366x768 still looks decent with some of the temporal AA options.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Azurrat posted:

I just fired up Watch Dogs to finish the mission where you kill Crispin and steal his identity, and now aiden instantly gets out a gun, fires it once, and refuses to holster it. Hitting LB to holster makes him switch to a different weapon, which he will promptly fire exactly once.

I finished this mission by rapidly hammering LB to kill baddies.

Dunno if it's related, but I've had a bug where Aiden won't stop firing after loading a game until I click the LMB. I normally play with the pad so it's a complete pain in the balls.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Speedball posted:

That's what Tailing is for!

Tailing is much more fun. If you nail it, do they know you were ever in their game at all?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Azurrat posted:

Pretty sure they don't.

OK, going to start blacking them out at 99% then so they know.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

big duck equals goose posted:

I have searched the internet for days, googled nonstop, and tried my hand at everything, but I can not figure out how to toggle first person driving mode off or on.

left on the d-pad if you are using a controller.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

dogstile posted:

Yeah, you're right. The writing in every scene is awful. I'm just enjoying it for what it is and giggling at people who play ubisoft games for story. If I gave a poo poo about story as something more than a plot device to get you to the next gunfight, I wouldn't have played through far cry 3. Maybe my opinion is slightly different because of that.

It's really on the low end of Ubisoft stories too. Even with the dip in writing quality of the AC games with including and post Revelations, at least they largely make sense despite the huge swathes of apparently missing content in 3 and 4. FC3 drops the ball overall but at least shoots for something interesting and has some decent scenes throughout.

This is just incoherent.

If they didn't have the vigilante angle and Aiden was just a shady shadowrunner who got mixed up in some stuff that was beyond his personal line it would have worked just fine, but they keep portraying him as this vigilante crusader, except for all the times when he's happily party to all the things he's crusading against.

You could totally do a plot that supported that, of course, but it just burbles along in circles contradicting itself all the time. I'm getting through it just taking Aidens incoherent poo poo at face value, but the writing definately blows.

It's good that the core shadowrunner gameplay loop is fun though, and I'm largely enjoying uncovering the audio diaries which so far have made sense.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

CitrusFrog posted:

There's even an audio log from the guy you did the first mission with where he basically says that Pierce is volatile and revenge-focused.

He's not doing what he's doing to be a good guy, he's a sociopath intent on meting out punishment.

OK? We're with Aiden at all times. He'll monologue about wanting to stop a thief when he takes a convoy or punish a criminal on a gang base, then he'll be the criminal thug in the next mission.

Aiden at once being The Punisher and a thug for hire who would be on his own hitlist is really, really clumsily written. It's sort of acknowledged, sure, but it's not acknowledged in any way that works, be it tonally or it plot logic terms.

(The sequence breaking of the radio doesn't help the plot being coherent. It's shouting about Aiden Pierce, Vigelante, long before anyone knows who the vigelante is.)

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Zaphod42 posted:

The gunplay is at times fun but I feel like it was a crutch that ruined the game design. They wanted to be GTA too bad, especially with all the loving 50 minigames.

They should try removing the guns and making a game that works without shooting.

In Portal you feel even more vulnerable than in Half-Life, even though nothing nearly as scary as headcrab zombies or combine soldiers ever comes after you, just turrets. But you have no guns, you're rather helpless. That's an interesting feeling.

I'd love to see a game where the entire focus is on perfect stealth and using your hacking powers to distract and disable.

Metal Dogs Solid

Alternatively/Additionally add more supervillains and have the common people actually root you on like a superhero.

But Ubisoft always has to go for the mature grimdark envelope pushing story which ends up being pretty half-assed.

I like the idea that you carry a handgun, but the minute you are using it you are getting in HUGE poo poo. Massive rep hits, massive risk of things escalating beyond your capacity, and make gunfights a big deal in the way they were in the first half of Sleepy Dogs.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 5, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Thump! posted:

Apparently they've already released DLC? Watch_Dogs: Conspiracy?

It's a digital trip.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's going to forever annoy me that Aidens phone makes the sound of a phone vibrating on a table, not a phone vibrating in a pocket.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
OK Aiden. AIDEN.

Stop and listen.

OK.

Islands.

Islands do not float Aiden. They are IN the water. They are not ON the water. No seriously! You could in fact go underground on an island!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Backhand posted:

Also, while not a privacy invasion mission per se, one of the randomizer videos you can get while hacking a CTOS tower has a mother watching her newborn daughter sleeping. Not doing anything creepy, no freaky profiler text... just quietly watching the baby sleep in her crib.

That one was creepy. It was creepy because the profiler locks onto a 1 year and pulls its details. The details weren't creepy, but I thought that one sold the wrongness of CTOS more than many of the more outrageous videos

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

khy posted:

So I got this game for my birthday just a few day ago.

Was playing it a bit last night. Fun game, tons to do, but there's SO MANY features it's slightly overwhelming at first.

I was about to do the apartment-hacking mission Where you get reunited from asshat who was hacking with you in the intro when I got a popup saying I couldn't do the mission because a fixer was hacking me. There was a popup about an invasion or something that made me thing Dark Souls. Was that another player or a randomly generated NPC? He got to like 80% before I whooped his rear end. Something about the behavior made me think player but the username was so generic (MM_SideShooter or something like that) I figured it could have been either way.

I tried doing an online stalker mission but the matchmaking service wouldn't let me.

I definitely enjoy it thus far. I tried playing it like GTA at first and that didn't work well - the first time I carjacked someone they called 911 and the cops did a manhunt for me.

Theres one locked mission near the start where you have to deal with a hacker that simulates how multiplayer works, but I don't think it's the one you were talking about (it's before the one where you have to drive the guy and evade the cops)

After that it's all people. They can be trying to hack you or tail you.

Basically they join your game unannounced. In both modes they need to find and profile you, after that it works a little differently depending on the mode.

In hack, they need to hack you like you would hack a camera. This reflects them "uploading a backdoor". At this point you are informed someone is in your game. It's then up to them to find somewhere they like and start the hack. That puts a circle over them that shows roughly where you are, and they try to hidelong enough to fill that bar.

In tailing, they need to find you, and maintain line of sight. You don't, to the best of my knowledge, get notified about this at all normally. All they need to do is watch you like a big creep untill the bar fills up. I don't believe they even get notified if you win.

In either gametype, if you try and start a mission while a player is invaded, it'll let you know, and you'll get involved in the "stop this bastard" mission. If you haven't recieved the INVADED alarm yet, get the hell away, because they either need to profile or watch you, so run like gently caress into a tunnel where you can jump them.

I think starting something that you get locked out of because of a hacker is the only way to actually see the scorecard for tailing missions as someone getting tailed.

Anyway, go do tailing and hacks, they are the best part of the game.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The graphic mods really make a difference. I've found a tweaked one where the bokeh/DOF reacts faster and is toned down a bit and it's just a big improvement, at least during sunsets/sunrise, and when theres a light fog.

Sometimes theres no real environmental effects and it's bland as gently caress like normal, but the talk about performance improvements was not bullshit. I've gone back up to 1680x1050 and HBAO+High (I used to have have to pick high HBAO or lower the res a little for solid performance), and so long as I keep world detail to high and not ultra (You will never loving notice) I can have everything else maxed and running a solid 60. Even with world detail on ultra it's much better.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

eXXon posted:

My favourite moment of hubris was when, after killing Iraq, who had gathered blackmail on every major figure in the city, and locked down an entire neighbourhood, trapping dozens of young black men (who you also kill) into a life of crime, Aiden is all "Iraq was after something bigger than that... the video from the Merlaut job". No sense of irony when 10 minutes later, his reaction to learning that the mayor's election was rigged is just "eh, whatever, a corrupt Chicago mayor". Also it's painful to listen to T-Bone wax poetically in Keanu Reeves fashion about that totally dangerous code he saw man, he doesn't even know what it is, but it's some scary poo poo.

Also, once you get away with Nicky for the last time, she has the same dumb wistful smile on her face as she has for every cutscene in the game. I'm sure that if Aiden had drowned a bag of kittens in front of her she would have given a wistful smile and told some dumb story about fishing with kittens with their father.

And seriously where the gently caress is Jackson's dad. All I found by googling is some review that claims he was also killed in a hit, but I don't remember ever hearing about that. The complete omission of references to him really makes me think that they intended for Aiden to be the father but then changed it just to make him even creepier and more unlikeable.

Is a single mom that weird? Like, my dad died when I was one. I literally cannot remember my mom mentioning him or it ever coming up. The game commits a lot of sins and has weir storytelling quirks. Thats not one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Honest to god wait for GTA5. WD is extremely mediocre.

• Locked thread