Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I thought it was going to unlock tonight. I am sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Good god so much angst.

I'm probably going to love this game because I have low standards and am easily pleased. The only thing I really hate about AC3 is the running animation. Ezio ran like a ninja, Connor runs like a redneck scrambling towards a pool full of miller lite.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Gamesguy posted:

Apparently one of the :filez: has a bitcoin mining trojan in it.

Can we get more info on this without violating forums rules? I'm curious about this kinda stuff.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I just hope I don't run into one thing that comes up constantly that drives me nuts like in Saint's Row 4. There was, for me, exactly one thing wrong with SR4. You could not shoot guns while super jumping. That was complete bullshit, one of the worst design choices they could have made. There is no goddamn reason in the world I should not have been able to glide across the city raining rockets and super powers down upon the populace like an angry God. But they did not let you do that, and it was bullshit.

If they manage to not throw out one glaring problem that is a terrible design choice that I have to deal with literally every single fight I'll enjoy the hell out of this.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Steam is pre-loading if it hasn't been said. I hadn't seen it.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Dvlos posted:

steam thankfully allowed me to preload the game and now that it's midnight it's redownloading all 13gBs again.

Me too wtf.

It finished five minutes ago. Then another game updated. Now watch dogs is downloading another 200 mb or something.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I've got some kinda static artifacting or something it seems? But it moves with the camera, like it looks like a filter or something. That sound like something that should be there or do I need to worry? Settings high to ultra with a 7870 and a new i5 processor, I have the recommended specs I think. Is there a visual filter to this game?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

There. What the hell is that poo poo? Right over the Go on the side of the locker.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

There's a weird 'water on the lens' effect in the prologue that's so bizarrely static that it seems to be some graphical artifact. I got it too; it went away when I finished the opening mission.

Ok. I was afraid that somehow my GPU was frying at 108 Farenheit.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Ok I'm in the open world and it's telling me to look for crimes and I still have the loving water lens filter thing on. It's incredibly obnoxious outside during the day, is there any way to straight turn it off? When did it turn off dude who responded? I got safely to the motel, was it then or after that or what?

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 27, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

I definitely fixed it somehow - I think I toggled motion blur and restarted the game after doing that mission, maybe that did it.

Oh holy loving GOD. I toggled it off, and yeah that fixed it. Toggled it back on and it went completely apeshit. Motion blur seems hosed for me. That's goddamn retarded.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Gamesguy posted:

Yeah the high end sports cars handle like ice on a frozen road.

The every day commuter cars handle fine though. It's kinda funny that you can outrun Ferraris in a Honda because the Hondas are so much easier to control.

I just tried a fixer contract. Get rid of a stolen car or something, a high end sports car. Five minute chase and I could not for the life of me shake the cops at all because of how lovely the cars handle and how well the cops stick to you.

The gently caress do I do besides just ignore the mission?

:Edit:

Yeah the driving is objectively completely terrible. Worse than GTA4, we were not lied to.

:Edit2:

Ok look behind me, hack, turn corner. That wasn't so hard even in the land boat on ice that is this ferrari wannabe.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 27, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

hopterque posted:

I'm sorry y'all but this is basically 12/10 game of the loving decade.

I'm sneaking into a place and profile a guy and it says "Killed a Dolphin". I use the distract option and it makes his phone play high pitched angry loud dolphin sounds and he freaks the gently caress out and I sneak past him.

Yeah I'm halfway between this and the irritation.

It's not worth 60 bucks. It's bad mechanics in a mediocre world interspersed with poo poo that makes me crack up laughing. The writing is absolutely terrible. I mean, seriously loving terrible. I just hacked into someone's apartment to watch the absolutely predictable "I love you!" "Oh you're like a brother to me I could never ruin what we have" "Oh yeah that's what I meant" dialogue that's a complete vomit of cliche'.

Really, that's the best single line description I can come up with. It's a vomit of gimmick and cliche. And yet I just listened to a conversation between two guys talking about how one of them had to pee during sex and he couldn't cum and he didn't know what to do about it and had to make an awkward exit to take the longest piss of his life and I actually just stopped and listened because it seems so oddly specific that I wonder which member of the design team had that happen to him.

I know that it has to be a real story because the rest of the writing is so unoriginal that it has to be cribbed from someone's real life.

Also the Ant Tank is awesome.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Random BSOD on startup. Yeah, that whole "We wanted to make things better" delay poo poo was a complete and utter lie. I'll bet this thing just had ridiculous stability issues and they had to rip open the engine and it's still not all fixed. I mean, the visual options are hosed. This thing was not launch ready.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

So now I'm getting invaded constantly. Everyone loves to park in a car ready to make a getaway. Everyone gets grenade launchered.

Yeah buddy you're not going to get it started in time.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Got lucky as hell, hacked a dude half a block from a train station. I ran up onto the station and watched him run around through the tracks below searching ground level for someone parked literally right on top of his head.

And then at 93% I was looking the wrong way when a train came through :v:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Is something up with UPlay? It won't log in to online mode right now.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Just walked up on a trio of people standing having a conversation. Their big tags were "Banned from Canada" "Banned from Canadian Comic Convention" and "Attends Furry conventions"

I killed them all. No one called the cops.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Yeah they didn't design the hack choice very well. I keep getting dropped on the freeway in vans chasing dudes on motorcycles and out in the middle of nowhere where there is no reason any other NPC would ever be there, so there's literally nothing I can do but quit out again and again and again. I just lost over a hundred noteriety and a skill level because it dropped me in the boonies and I hit the wrong button trying to turn my profiler off so that I could abort mission.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

So is there some later perk that lets you know the second someone drops into your game or are people using some outside utility to detect when someone connects to their game? Because I have had three people in a row with very high scores immediately come hunt me down when I spawned close by. I mean, like, beeline directly to where I was with the profiler out and shoot the second I was in range of a shotgun.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Palleon posted:

I apologize if this has been covered but this thread moves so quickly.

As an invader, how much am I allowed to move, and how far away? I did my first and only one so far last night, I hacked the guy, and just sat in a car in a parking lot as he flipped out, started mowing down the crowd, and ended up fighting (and dying to) the police, buying me plenty of time to win. However, by the end, the circle was practically just at my position, so if he hadn't respawned, he would have definitely found me, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to just get in a car and drive away, or if I need to stay close by.

It also makes me think, a decent way to flush out someone as a defender is just to fire a few shots and scatter the random NPCs, the area got clear fast, if you can deal with the police interference.

You should equip Jam Comms the second someone starts hacking you every single time. Jamming the police call also stops the hack for a short period, so it's double the help.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

So a guy hacks into me and gets in a fire truck. I try to stop him after the profile, but he got away due to a timely bridge hack.

Ok whatever. Got some points. Now I'm running around doing collectibles and I hear sirens and turn to see a fire truck slam into three cars, back up, and then push through them. Naturally I pulled out my grenade launcher and nuked the front of the fire truck and killed the driver, and waited for my hacking ended screen. None came.

I walked over to the truck and profiled the body laying there. "No more records found"

The paranoia is starting to kick in. :tinfoil:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Tailings are getting to be so much fun. There's no circle to stay in, there's no way to fail other than dying or failing to escape once profiled. I just infiltrated some guy who's just starting out around the first CTOS base you have to unlock probably right after he unlocked it. He figured out someone was there and was driving around and I raised blockers which he could not yet unraise. I blew a transformer in his view and blacked out the city from a few cam jumps as I hid behind a big building and he searched for me. At 98% I chased him down in the car he was in and smashed into the back of it, knocking him over a steam pipe which I blew up to disable his car just as I disappeared.

The paranoia is just as much fun to induce as it is to experience.

Feenix posted:

See you say that, but you are wrong.

Because I lost points...

And I never started hacking him...

Or even got within 1200 feet of him.

Which is dumb as poo poo because you can cut the engine and hide in a car decently.

If someone gets the "you're being invaded" message I don't know if you can quit out or not without losing points, and you can get that message by doing things like trying to join matchmaking for online contracts yourself or by trying to interact with a mission of any kind, even side quests. I do know that if someone tries to start an invasion of their own and can't because you've invaded them that they get that big purple circle that updates slowly showing where you are. I check pretty consistently running around doing things and I've gotten notified of hacker invaders before they actually got close enough to profile and hack me and killed them.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 1, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Of all the side stuff I think I dislike the fixer contracts with escaping pursuers the most. I've had them take eight minutes or more and there are 40 of the drat things.

What the hell do you do about close police pursuit with helicopters to handle it fast? Someone needs to mod freelook in cars to let you look straight up, because barring that, getting out of the car to shoot out hack the copter, or driving somewhere you can completely close off from cops, I have not been able to shake police pursuit without slowly disabling cars until the copter is the only thing following me and I can shoot it then park until wanted goes away.

Is there a better way here?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

SBJ posted:

Can AI get into car crashes on their own without your interference? I'm not sure if they do but the only times I've seen a car crash that I did not cause, it turns out I was being tailed. This could be a telltale sign that you're being invaded.

Yeah they can. I actually once had a firetruck like crash through people and back up and try to proceed pushing stuff out of the way once and after blowing it up I went to look and it had normal NPCs inside, so the AI can wonk out in ways that make it seem like a player when it's not. Not sure if it was just a pathing fuckup or actual programmed behavior but I'm inclined to think the former because it's only happened once. Scared the crap out of me though.

If you suspect someone is in your game, pause your game while running. If you freeze where you are, you are in single player. If you see your character come to a halt in the pause screen, someone's in your game stealing all your hacks.

Seriously I am paranoid as hell and I double tap escape at least once every 90 seconds.

Also if you hack a blume person and get a bounty called in 9/10 it seems you then get hacked within the next 2 minutes.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Tried to start a hack and found an invader, I had just gotten out of one so I knew he was there before he could get within a hundred meters. Ran off under a freeway on a hill and waited with the two shot sniper and managed to miss six shots in a row when I figured out which one he was and he ran for cover. Got the cops called, hunted for him and lost the cops, and he got his last percentages right after I took out his car and was about to place one through his very stationary head.

He got 243 for a tail. Welcome to Watch Dogs whoever you are.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Ok I'm still really early in the story but I'm really liking it so far. Aiden is a narcissistic jackass misanthrope. I don't know where they're going to go with this, but he's pretty unsympathetic and this is really starting to feel like he thinks he's Batman and he's really just a crazy shut-in who learned to use a baton after getting his rear end kicked up and down the comp sci club in high school.

I wish that positive rep had no effect on the rate of people calling the cops so that you'd know that no matter what you did there will always be people who think you're crazy and call the cops on you. But let negative rep lessen it because people are genuinely scared that you'll find out and chuck grenades at them.

:Edit2:

I thought the grenade launcher was the go to option for dealing with people trying to get away from you in multi but good loving GOD that two shot sniper rifle is unfair. One hit anywhere kills I think, even limbs. And it goes straight through cars. I've disabled someone's car and killed them in the same shot and I also had a tail who wasn't aware of me jump a motorcycle in some construction place and I shot it in midair to disable it on landing. It seemed to scare the crap out of him because he then got the cops called grenading pedestrians and my tail failed at 70% percent because he got run over by a truck.

:Edit3:

I did not know that online hacking took money from you. That's hilarious, I wish the results screen spashed a big "And they also took 12 dollars" at the end of a successful hack or escape across the victim's screen.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 2, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I had started to wonder how cars drove with 4 popped tires, then I got invaded, and this video resulted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVOPIOBsnCQ

I think by the end I made him angry...

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

K.

its u

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Driving is on the awful side of average overall. Too many of the high powered cars burn out forever and fishtail even when just trying to start straight from a stop, to say nothing of trying to accelerate out of a turn. Not enough friction or not enough weight or what, I don't know, but it can be a huge problem. While it's not impossible to drive or escape and whatnot, it can be a chore. Seems like something that should have had alot more attention paid to it and it didn't get it.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I've shot every furry and fanfiction writer I've come across and will continue to do so.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

flog montresor posted:

It feels like half or more of my successful hacks have just involved me sitting inside a car with the engine turned off. The invadee always runs right by the car at least once or twice, but never seems to notice me. How much harder is an invader to profile when sitting inside a parked car? Do you basically have to get right up on the hood and look inside?

I have no idea how it works with LOS and all that but I've never had a hacker who was sitting in a car with the engine off succeed in hacking me. Seemingly it's pretty easy for me to find and explode/snipe people who choose to hide in cars. You do not have to be that close, I think that it's harder to get line of sight because they're sitting low but that you can get LOS from the standard distance from certain angles.

Seems that way. Seems easier with sport cars than with taller SUVs and stuff.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Already got cheat engine jackasses in decryption matches. Put like 20 rounds into some guy's head with the AR and he then turned and killed me with a shotgun.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Seriously 4/4 different rooms had at least one.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Ugh. I keep invading people in random places waiting to gank invaders. Car parking lots, CTOS towers, the bunker. There should be an option that if they haven't profiled you and you are within like 30 seconds of when you warped in you don't lose points even if they are constantly joining and leaving online queues to get notified of a hacker. I had more than one tonight where I joined, immediately saw where they were and left and still got dinged anywhere from 100-200 points. Less than 10 seconds elapsed. That's some bullshit.

hiddenriverninja posted:

drat this is the fifth time in a row I've spawned right infront of the guy I was invading.

Thankfully this only happened once.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I just had a hilarious decryption match. I did not know until today that if you climb on top of a car driven by someone on your team you will pretty much never fall off unless they find something low enough to scrape you off the roof. So we proceeded to hold the file the entire match as one dude drove me around in an armored truck and another stood on the roof of it with me pouring AR fire into anyone who got close. Two ARs together will murder the sports cars these dudes kept coming with and they didn't get the bright idea to mount up like us so at one point we had me and another team mate being driven around shooting and chucking grenades at the three individual members of the other team trying to somehow dislodge us from the roof in their individual cars. They almost stole it once, got it to 91% before we managed to kill the entire opposing team and drive to the other side of the map from where they spawned.

Also blackouts in multiplayer during the night are awesome. Dudes can't hit poo poo in the dark.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

One thing this series is really going to need to work on in the future is stealth. Seriously MGS1 for the PSx had enemies that were 5 times smarter than the dudes in W_D. There is just no excuse for a game that emphasizes stealth in any to have enemies that dumb. Also, some of the items were just so drat overpowered in regards to stealth like the CTOS scan. it pretty much negates the need to even scout out an area, even though the game already has the modern mechanic of being able to see everyone through the walls once you look at them for 2 seconds.

Yeah, I could have just not used CTOS scan at all (and I didn't for most of the game) but they really shouldn't have put something that trivializes it so much in there. It's just bad.

What makes them dumb? Genuinely curious, I kinda like the watch dogs ai.

The CTOS scan doesn't negate scouting entirely, it doesn't reveal what kind of interactions you can have with a guard. There have been a few occasions where I used it, a few gang hideouts come to mind, places with ridiculous amounts of verticality. Mostly it just sits there and I scout, because scouting is fun. Always nice to just go ahead and raise the protectors before you come anywhere near the fight and figure out who you can blow up and who is a good reason to wish you hadn't gotten jam enemy comms.

Seriously I feel like I see a grenade once every two or three fights since I got the jam enemy comms option. Less explosions for double the battery bars? Don't mind if I do.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

How the gently caress do you escape the police after the prison mission. I managed to do pretty well in the prison itself and shotgunned all the guys in the final room without too much trouble. But leaving it is terrible; if you manage to get to a car (which isn't too hard), you're instantly swarmed by like 5+ police cars. If I get lucky enough to time a street light hacking well enough to kill 1 or 2 of them, more just come out of nowhere. This one time I managed to get into the L and was like "hell yes, surely this will work", but nope - loving police helicopter just followed me across a bridge and there are a million more police waiting at the other side. I left the train after realizing it was futile and went out in a blaze of glory, breaking the knees of like 8 guys and then gunning down 4 or 5 more.

I get that theoretically I'm supposed to expertly time a bunch of hackings so that it wrecks the police cars and then deftly turn into an alley and hide in my car, but this is a million times easier said than done (and I haven't unlocked the other street hacking abilities, so I only really have the traffic lights).

Someone please tell me a trick for this, because it is seriously the worst thing. gently caress the police in this game. :mad:

By the time I got to that mission I had all the traffic hacks plus the anti-material rifle. You evade the police by shooting the chopper and then driving away using traffic and blackouts, steam pipes, spikes, blockers, and bridges to leave the cops behind. They purposefully designed it so that you have to hack your way out of trouble, and once you figure out how to drive people through ready made booby traps it gets pretty easy really fast.

You cannot hack choppers while driving without stopping. Shooting them a few times with the anti material rifle I think knocks them out of the sky completely for a while. You can outrun them if you have a fast car and a long road. Or you can outrun the cops and duck into a closeable basement/parking lot and hide there from the chopper. Cops might search outside but if they can't get in they'll give up.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

So is most of the world absolutely terrible at the online stuff, or are there just way, way more new people who haven't tried it out there than people who know what's up? I don't even bother with hacking anymore, I haven't seen one that's not +75/-400 or so in forever. Decryption I'm at the point where I joined at the start of the match, had an 8-2 kdr, contributed to decryption and won the match with my team never losing control of the file and I somehow lost 50 points while the people who lost all gained from 100-400 points and my team got from 50-100 points. I was literally the only person who lost points, while being on the winning team.

Is it just if your notoriety is high enough you skew things that badly?

I did have a funny hacker earlier. I was chain tailing people so I got notified before he even finished loading it. I ran around on foot and found him, chased him around the map without turning on the profiler, shot all of his cars. He tried to get away from me and I figured he was a tail and I'd just gently caress with him but let him complete it and get a few hundred points off of me, but it turned out he was a hacker and when he couldn't escape he just hacked me and proceeded to run around cars and stay as far away from me in the middle of a street of traffic as possible.

I profiled him at 80% complete and then continued to chase him all over the map, disabling his car and following him back and forth over fences as he tried to get enough distance to find a car and burn rubber without me sniping it dead. Instead he ended up getting into a car and I jumped on the top of it and he rode around ramming anything and everything trying to dislodge me from the roof.

Finally, the guy gets a brilliant idea. There's that one bridge that raises without splitting or tilting, just goes up. If you time it right you can drive onto it and raise it and drive off of it before it gets so high that you're trapped. He was going to scrape me off at the end of the bridge to escape, so I shot his engine again.

And he just stood there after getting out of his car staring at me like "Ok, fine, just shoot me"

So I walked up to him and surrounded us with proxy IEDs. We waited for about 20 seconds until he got bored and blew both of us up trying to escape again.

I seriously recommend getting on the roof of invader's cars if you can manage it. You stick there unless they flip the car, it's pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Rudager posted:

The whole thing isn't as good as it could be.

I was watching some guy stream the other night who was ranked #1 for the hacking one, and every game was him invading, running too some bullshit hiding spot and then just sitting there waiting.....

And when he got invaded, he'd just stand in a road, pull out a sniper and 1 shot snipe the guy out of the car that was driving at him at 100mph.

It just wasn't interesting to watch, and didn't look like it'd be that fun to play in the long term.

Hacking sucks. Too little time for someone who doesn't know what they're doing to have a hope of finding you, too much time for a hacking victim who knows what's up to search every nook and cranny of the area where you might be hiding. I had an invader hack me and then run to the top of a train station, standing on the roof. A new player would have no earthly idea anyone could be up there and would have to hope they can spot the guy. For me it was the third or fourth place I checked.

Tailing is great. The only limit is staying close and un-profiled. They might never know you're there. They might get paranoid as hell and start freaking out looking for you. You can chain cameras, chase or be chased. Because you can go wherever the gently caress you want you can actually have fun with people. You can give away that you're there without giving them any real way to find you.

Decryption is a pretty good amount of fun with good teams in the right area. Would be better if you didn't end up with the endless car chase alot of the time, needs fewer areas with enough roads to circle the bounds of the area you have to fight in or if they actually made some on-foot dedicated maps for it.

Free Roam is just stupid and enjoyable for all the reasons you'd expect.

Hacking, really, you just have to be prepared to really use your minute to flee across the city to somewhere you can set up. A minute is a long time to travel in this game. Sure, they might notice and come after you, but most of the time you have a really good shot at finding somewhere good to post up. Invasions suck because people don't know what they're doing and because the guy you were watching is boring. It's more fun when you profile a tail and chase him down on foot, using the sniper to deny him any vehicles he tries to use. I had some hacker invade and get spotted but I didn't profile him. Just chased him around until he started the hack, but shooting cars out from under him attracted police and got me killed. Respawn with 60% done and I eventually found him chilling in a police car surrounded by cops hoping I either wouldn't notice or would attack and get myself shot again.

Seven IEDs later nothing in the alley but me was still among the living.

Play it, rather than watching some boring idiot play it. It's not perfect by any means, but it's got alot of potential.

It's worth mentioning that as horrible as hacking can be, watching someone's desperation mount to the point of chucking explosives at passerby hoping you're walking pretending to be an NPC is pretty priceless. Nothing like that inexorable countdown to make someone begin behaving frantic.

As a final tip, escape from pursuing players in fire trucks. Instead of lasting 30 seconds, your car chases can last 10 minutes as they cruise around behind you in a battered ferrari, wary of pulling alongside and getting smashed into a building. Unlike Dark Souls this invasion mechanic was perfectly designed to not be taken seriously in any way. It's not a competition and the points are irrelevant. All that matters is loving with random strangers.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 15, 2014

• Locked thread