Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So the 3 DLCs mentioned in the Season Pass are likely just the 3 DLCs you get for the Deluxe Edition on PC right? ( Breakthrough, Signature Shot, and the Palace ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

WindmillSlayer posted:

Is this good or bad? I'm not up to my games journalism in jokes.

Traditionally games try to lift embargoes as close to release as they can. Most people are idiots and preorder, or buy a few days before so they have no way of backing down once the bad reviews show up. It also keeps the hype/marketing in peoples minds up to the last minute, so they'll be encouraged to pick it up before the release date/review to get the preorder goodies.

Letting people put up reviews a full 5 days ahead gives people plenty of time to see what they are buying, and make an informed opinion. If Ubisoft didn't have faith in the product, they wouldn't be giving customers 5 days to think about whether or not they should buy the game. It's basically Ubisoft saying they think they have a winner here, and don't need to screw with customers for sales.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Athenry posted:

Which system is that from?

Ps4.

The Xbox One version looks really, really, really bad. At least that's if the screenshots posted have been real, and not messed with to trash the console.

PC is supposedly better looking then that Ps4 screenshot.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

grrarg posted:

No need to get the "Deluxe" version if you plan to get the Season Pass. The Season Pass includes all the "Deluxe" missions anyway.

One of the moderators on the Ubisoft Watch_Dogs forum confirmed that the Uplay version will not have a preload. Steam probably will not either since AC IV did not preload on Steam. I think I am going to get a physical PC version from Amazon since my connection is slow.

Well not on PC, since PC deluxe is the 3 SP missions, plus a Dedsec mission set that is apparently two hours long by itself.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Those aren't actually spoilers right? I jumped into this thread while bored at work, and was hoping to play this game blind.

I mean one of the first trailers made it pretty obvious Jordie will betray you and shoot you, and the old dude is the bad guy, but that's a different level to what people are saying.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Did you play on PC? SR2 links a whole bunch of things to the speed of the processor, and assumes your processor is going to be running at 2.4ghz (The speed of the Xbox 360's processor). The further away from that you are in either direction the more wonky things will seem, especially the handling. I am sure there will never be a port as bad as SR2 on PC.

It actually links it to a program that only is present on Vista/7. If you are running XP/8 SR2 works fine, no need for the limiter.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I don't really care about nextgenness, or story ( outside of making sure I don't know what happens ). As long as it wraps up properly and has some good moments, I'll probably enjoy it.

What I want to know is.

- Does the shooting/gameplay sequences feel fun. What does the hacking offer when it comes to combat.
- How is the mission variety when it comes to main story stuff. Are you finding yourself doing a wide variety of stuff, or is it mainly tailing/shooting.
- How varied is the side content. Are we talking SR style activities, Sleepy Dogs gang wars, or AssCreeds forts/towers/assassinations/leonardo missions? Or is it more GTAs "random ped quests".
- How big is the city, do the districts feel distinct?

The hacking could literally just be Sleepy Dogs p2, where you have to hack a camera before you can beat the people up, and it just shows them from above and I'd still not care. I'm looking for a good open world game, not a hyped up "next gen!" experience.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Most of the people complaining about performance issues are probably the geniuses who downloaded a pirated copy of the game that had a bitcoin mining trojan embedded in the crack :ssh:

But we totally all believe you just got your review copies in!

Yeah, just to point out, if you used :files: you have a Bitcoin miner eating 25% of your CPU speed. That's probably why so many of you are having performance issues.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you're a sucker for anything open world, you'll probably get at least some enjoyment out of it. But if you demand your open world games to be polished, you'll want to look elsewhere.

What was the last "polished" open world game in your opinion? In my mind it's a genre well known for janky/buggy/oddball scenarios happening, from TES, to Saints Row, to Far Cry, to GTA, to AssCreed. None of these games strike me as well polished games in either their gameplay or their stability. In fact it's things breaking in hilarious ways all at once that create the moments most people remember them for.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

You guys can't just wait for 12 hours?

Some of us work tomorrow, yet don't today?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Enjoying it so far.

Shooting just kind of works, but I barely ever shoot anybody. Most of my fights are me tricking people to walk near explosives, then setting them off. Or hacking forklifts to crush them. Or hacking cars to run in to them. Or hacking doors to slam into them. The few guys that refuse to stand near stuff like that I just silenced pistol to the head, or take out in a knock out move. Has worked pretty much every time.

Maybe it's because I never drive the sports cars, but driving feels fine. Motorcyles feel 1:1 with any other driving game, and cars range from Sleepy Dogs style driving to GTA4 style driving depending on what you drive. There is a car for everyone, and once you find the car you like, you can just keep summoning them for free off the phone instantly.

Mission variety is pretty varied, although that might be because I'm basically still in the tutorial.

Everyone makes fun of Aiden, and he seems oblivious to it.

Game looks loving gorgeous on PC. Maybe not full 1:1 with the E3 stuff, but it's the best looking game on my PC by far in Ultra.

From talking to goons I know who beat it, it sounds like the story falls flat, but so far the characters have been largely well written, even AidenBatman. I'm at least interested enough to see what they do with the concepts presented in the early game.

The driving in 1st person is honestly much easier then the driving in 3rd for most cars. This combined with the ambient conversations, the hacked ambient conversations, the texts, and the voicemails you can hear really makes the world feel somewhat realistic. It's probably the runner up for most immersive open world game I've played so far.

Amusingly, the two things goons can't stop talking about in this thread, the memes and the songs are a nonissue. You find more songs by stealing them from peoples ipods, and end up with 50-60 or so by the end of the game. I've already got 12 new songs, on top of the 20 I started with. And the memeguy is presented as a total loving idiot, who you eventually kill, much to everyone's enjoyment.

Multiplayer is loving hilariously fun, because you can invade/be invaded at any time ( outside of a mission ). Nobody is trying to kill each other, just get close to each other, so it becomes this hilarious game of cat and mouse, as the host tries to catch the invader, and the invader tries to avoid the host in a way that doesn't look suspicious. Both parties get rewarded for participating, and as someone who loathed Dark Souls PvP, this is something I'll gladly keep on, and encourage others to leave on as well. It's just oddball fun.

I went in expecting total poo poo because I didn't pay attention to the E3 stuff, and read this thread for the past day. It's not going to be my favorite open world game or anything, but it was worth the $60, and it'll be a fun game to play for the next week or so.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Tracula posted:

Take a shot any time a goon says some variation on "It's good but not worth 60bux"

I'd actually say it is playing it more.

The gunplay is fun. The driving is fun if you ignore certain cars ( and you'll know which cars to ignore by the end of chapter 1 ). The story is bad insofar as game stories are bad, this is about on par with Sleepy Dogs/GTAIV for me in terms of how well written it is. Hell, at least they tried humanizing the side characters a bit, which is more then I can say for 99.9% of games. It's got tons of mission variety and sidecontent, all of which is really fun to go through.

I've got some complaints, but nothing major enough to stop my enjoyment of the game. The biggest issues I can think of are all small things, such as criminal convoys being a bit difficult early on.

Even with all that, I'd normally say it wasn't worth $60, but that's because only things like Skyrim count as $60 products to me. What's justifying the price tag in my mind is the Digital Trips, since at least both Alone and Spider Tank are basically $10 indie games in their own right, strapped in to Watch Dogs as a whole.

Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I was given the option to play GOTG GTAV, our lord and savior in open world form, but I'm still waiting on that port. As is, this is a really solid open world game, and I'm getting the sinking feeling most of the vitriol in this thread is from people who are angry it's not the NEXT GEN experience they built it up to be.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

From Youtube videos, not playing, that seems a bit strong, I'm not sure how much you could really get out of them. Alone does look fun though, I'd like to see what it would be like with darkness turned way up to add to the creepy atmosphere and the "He did this to us!" and "He can never be allowed to hurt us again!" commentary is more intriguing to me than the plot of the actual game.

The Digital Trips seems like a pretty great concept in general to me. They've already announced zombie mode, obviously, but DLC for Trips with superpowers, a post-apoc survival type sim with hunting/crafting, a Brutal-Legend style RTS, it's basically free rein to put anything they want in.

Well from playing both they both have skillsets you can unlock skillpoints in, and have story/objectives. It looks like it'll take at least 2-3 goes at Spidertank before you "beat" it for example. All combined it's another 3-4 hours of gameplay, and it's really easy to treat them as a $10-$15-$20 indie bundle you bought that happens to be redeemed inside of this other game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It depends. For AAA games usually a 6 means broken beyond belief, so a 7 is barely better. For non-AAA games a 6 or 7 is pretty good.

Good thing Giantbomb and Eurogamer are the two sites that actually follow the formula pretty well? The ones that don't are giving it 8/10's.

It's an average open world game. Why are people trying to make it worse/better then it actually is. Stop getting emotionally invested in hype/video games.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I think you need six players or more to have teams.

We started with 6 though and it was FFA. After the game was over it asked us if we wanted to start a new match, and we couldn't set up teams in that as well.

Didn't see a way to start with Team Decryption at least, unless you invite 6 people.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ethanol posted:

runs fine on my hd7950 but not sure if the SSAO works or not

Yeah, getting flawless 1080p 60fps on my 7950, only started dropping in multi when me and Orv had five stars and were super speeding through the waterways.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ularg posted:

Being chased by cops I get the opportunity to raise bollards to stop some cops chasing me. Set them off right under my car going at high speeds and I just get launched into the air. Of course the PS4 still has a huge amount of problems with video recording so it never kept it. But I did find some trash, newspaper and leaves blowing across and down the street that I recorded, at least. :(

It's odd, because my game on Ultra looks extremely close to the E3 videos. Watching some other PC "Ultra" streams? Looks like rear end.

:iiam: I really want to start taking screenshots of my game because it's so gorgeous, but it makes no sense why my i5/7950 are getting these results when the game was apparently built for Nvidia and people with i7's are chugging. On the other hand at least two other goons with 7950's have mention perfect results as well, so the games been optimized to hell and back for 7950s it seems.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Origin's been getting better. uPlay, not so much.

^^^ No, pretty sure it's uPlay since it keeps failing to log in and poo poo.

Origin has actually been getting worse. They fired their support teams, and it's now easier to get stuff out of Steam then it is from EA. They put some updates into their cloud system and it now fairly regularly eats game saves. Unlike Uplay/Steam, you can't turn it off. And the client has been getting fairly bloated and will cause some massive lag on certain machines. Only way to fix it is to crack the game you own so you can play it without Origin.

They've basically left it to die. I'm pissed because I'd like to play ME3/DS3/Syndicate again, but whoops nope, their client is a horrible piece of poo poo now. And even if I get through, it'll mysteriously eat my saves halfway through a game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

5. She actually has a Quebecois accent, which makes sense since Ubisoft is a French Canadian company.

That's what people sound like in Quebec? How does Canada take Quebec seriously?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

I thought the opening act explained this fairly well. Aidan is a confidence man turned hacker who ends up (with the help of his even goonier partner) biting over more than he can chew and someone close to him gets killed because of that and he snaps- and you can hardly blame him for taking the law in his own hands, considering how generally inefficient police seem to be in this game. I don't think there's much more to it. As for "watch dogs", I've yet to see any specific mention of that ingame. Maybe it's just a catchy title?

Yeah, he's a goony motherfucker who got into hacking for the extra money, and then bit off more then he could chew.

After everything went bad, he blamed everyone around him rather then accept he hosed up, and decided to start a vengeance quest to kill the entire Chicago underworld. The only reason he's gotten anywhere is because he's given up all the money he saved up over the years hiring Badboy/Jordi to help him out. And then the only reason he gets past the tutorial stuff is because Badboy gives him the Dedsec codes to hack anything ( judging by the conversation they have, Aiden could only listen in on people's phone calls prior to that mission at some point. I'm guessing it was supposed to unlock real hacking, but they just made it universal. ), presumably because he was going to get himself killed otherwise.

Also I'm guessing the title is a reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchdog_journalism. Just you know, extending past journalism into making Aiden the grim loving reaper because this is a video game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

The tone of the game gets better as you go, the first hour of story is just kinda awkwardly handled. Now that I'm going after members of The Club, serious gangbangers and career criminals, and fixers, hired black-hat hitmen, I'm pretty okay with killing them.

Its just the way the game starts, with Aiden feeling bad about his niece dying and it being his fault, and telling his sister he's getting out of the game, followed by the game making you go buy an AR-15 assault rifle and then go storm a cell tower surrounded by rent-a-cops was a really bad move. They don't really need the towers in the first place, but if you're going to have them it'd be nice if you could just hack them all peacefully. Surrounding them with rent-a-cops does give them more challenge, but then it kinda forces you to kill dudes who were just going about their business, which is awkward to justify. The first hour of the game really makes you feel like 'the vigilante' is a psychopath, although then once you get into it more you see Aiden's justifications better and you do meet some truly bad guys.

But again, those first rent-a-cops, lots of them give you details when you profile them like "ex war veteran" or "diagnosed with cancer" and you just like drat, I don't want to kill these guys :smith:

Meanwhile members of The Club mostly have pretty horrible profiles, so that's better. A few of them though still seem like decent guys, but I guess that's actually more realistic. And its kinda cool to pick out a few decent guys who got mixed in with the gangs and try to take them out with a takedown instead of shooting them up like the rest of the thugs. Its kinda annoying though that you have to be careful to do a takedown without a gun out or you'll pop them in the head as you do, since the controls are so clumsy. Oh well.

I think just re-ordering the first few hours of the game would massively improve the tone and our understanding of Aiden's motivations. And either ditch the cell towers or change how they work, and don't have a mission that tells you to buy a loving assault rifle as like the second thing you're forced to do. If you're going to do a mission where you show them that stores exist, have him go buy some parts to craft a lure, or at least buy like a pistol, not a loving AR.

You aren't supposed to kill those dudes though? The first ctOS tower has Aiden saying he should avoid conflict, because he's outnumbered. I think he even mentions using the cameras, and you can completely stealth it through those.

The underground parking garage is set up perfectly for takedowns, and you can stealth past all of the guys in the ctOS security building. Then when the cops get called in, the door to the streets is right next to you.

Maybe it's due to me coming from the Thief games, but Aiden saying he was only buying a gun for self defense/saying he shouldn't pick a fight with armed guards convinced me to avoid fighting until I started in a gunfight. Coincidentally that's when I started facing people who I didn't feel bad about killing.

e: Yeah you can stealth everything ctOS related. I did all the bases/towers without any kills. The game only forces gunfights with other Fixers, Club members, and gangbangers.

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

It makes me laugh that holding up a street vendor makes your evil-o-meter go up but swiping 10k from the bank account of a single mother with leukemia and spending all of it on trenchcoats and assault rifles is perfectly acceptable.

This is silly though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not saying it was strictly a PUA move, I'm just saying it was creepy, and clearly the thread agreed with me. Its just you guys are saying that afterwards BADBOI called him out on it, (which means it was creepy) but now you seem to be kinda backpedaing on that? I'm not saying Aiden is a PUA. I'm saying Aiden is a creepy motherfucker, on the same level as PUA creeps. So... okay yeah we agree.

Aiden has cameras set up in his sisters house.

Like yeah he has them in place because he wants to protect them, but they don't know about these cameras, he just put them there.

So yeah, he's a real creepy motherfucker.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 29, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Apparently everyone in the city has a camera in their fire alarm and in their shower, I don't know why you'd assume Aiden installed some in his family's house (unless I haven't reached that scene where he explains doing so, yet.)

Well you can't see the cameras when he's visiting, and their positioning/things covering them implies they aren't the much more visible ctOS cameras. Aren't there leaves covering the image when Jackson/Niki are talking in the first motel scene?

Also uh, Aiden doesn't get the ability to hack ctOS related things until Open your World technically, so he shouldn't have been able to have a direct link to her ctOS devices. Yes I know you can through gameplay, but that appears to be a lategame change, since Claire says she unlocked the ability for him to use cameras/doors/grenades/explosions in the phone call after.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Season pass just gives you like, everything, I think. Blume is also pre-order and you get blume in season too.

The season pass also makes the deluxe edition completely irrelevant and actually a horrible value. Dunno what they were thinking.

There are two missions you can only get with Deluxe that are not in Season/any other pass, and took me about 2-3 hours to go through.

That's only on Ps4/PC though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

There is a black riced up version of the lovely bog standard hatchback that is a joy to drive but I only saw it for the one fixer mission. Shame really.

It would have been nice to be able to save/customize cars but this game has already made it very clear that customization is something they care very little about.

Every time you even touch a car it gets added to your instant delivery system. I've stopped stealing cars because the handling is all over the place, and just use the phone app to figure out which 5 star handling car I want today.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Phoix posted:

There are a few easy ways to quickly check if you're being invaded. If you try to pause while being invaded the game keeps going and Focus doesn't actually slow down time. Some people just tap pause every so often and it makes them near impossible to successfully tail.

It also tells you early in the game. It's only after Act 1 is finished/you get some bounty on you do you lose the "You are being invaded!" message.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fateo McMurray posted:

Every time I've been tailed or hacked I've gotten a popup telling me you guys are crazy

I wonder if it's a Uplay thing. I get popups when I'm invaded by a hacker, but not for tails. I used to get popups for tails as well, but it stopped after Act 1. My friend has never seen a popup for either, he just never knows he's being invaded. You say you always see popups.

Are you sure you are getting popups for tails? You should see "YOU ARE BEING INVADED" for hacks, but tails are specifically supposed to be stealthy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I really have enjoyed the asymmetric ctOS challenge where one guy sets everything off while the other races through checkpoints without a GPS. I wish the cash rewards were larger though - I just hit an ATM for almost $150k, and those checkpoints matches give like $2k reward purse..

One thing I'm not clear on yet regarding Blume employees: when you hack them and they have recently been hacked, I get that it usually tosses you into a bounty lobby (I like being able to choose for the ones with better risk/reward, that's a great touch,) however... When I hack a random Blume employee and then take away their phone before they finish their call - does that prevent me from being invaded by bounty-seekers? Or do I still get a chance for a bounty regardless?

I also noticed someone who's "phone was provided by Blume" or something like that, but it didn't call them an employee - when I hacked *that* NPC no purple marker showed up BUT I immediately afterward got a bad reputation newsreel and had to slap around a half-dozen pedestrians who kept calling 911 on me over the news. It may have been a coincidence but it was the first time I noticed someone with Blume in their description NOT calling in and starting the purple triangle countdown within 10-20 seconds..

My reputation would be higher but I really have too much fun blowing everything up in multiplayer matches.

Are you at negative rep? I had that happen in my mass murderer game/criminal game.

In my pure good rep game, people are giving me their cars and cheering. Chicago apparently has some REAL bad crime problems.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Also you'll only ever lose like 10-40 points. I'm nearing in on the last tier of notoriety upgrades right now, and almost all my hacks are "Gain 40/Lose 2000"ish because I'm so much higher level then everyone else. I've never quit out of a match, and even when I get kicked out by the timer I'll still only lose like 20 points. When the gains/losses are that large, 20 points doesn't really matter much.

And yeah, for those pissed off about the last notoriety reward, that thing is a real rough ride. You basically need to win a good 30-40 hacks without losing ( because you'll drop so much notoriety ) to get it that if you do it's probably not even very useful for you.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Tailings are getting to be so much fun. There's no circle to stay in, there's no way to fail other than dying or failing to escape once profiled. I just infiltrated some guy who's just starting out around the first CTOS base you have to unlock probably right after he unlocked it. He figured out someone was there and was driving around and I raised blockers which he could not yet unraise. I blew a transformer in his view and blacked out the city from a few cam jumps as I hid behind a big building and he searched for me. At 98% I chased him down in the car he was in and smashed into the back of it, knocking him over a steam pipe which I blew up to disable his car just as I disappeared.

The paranoia is just as much fun to induce as it is to experience.

I've started playing the unnamed gunman. I'll stand in a crowd of civvies and as soon as the host turns his back and starts running away, will start shooting near him. By the time he's turned around, I'm running away with all the other civvies in various directions. As long as I follow the smaller group of runners, the host will always go for the bigger group to check it and miss me ( because the bigger group = bigger chance to find him! ).

It also causes some hosts to just start gunning down civilians trying to flee, which brings in the cops.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Feenix posted:

If you don't invade a lot I guess the pausing method is a good way to occasionally see if you're being tailed. However if you invade a lot. Do this;

After you finish an invasion, count to 20.

Someone's in your game. Like 95% of the time.

I get back to back invaded. It's kind of crazy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Holy poo poo the Weapons Trade mission. :wtc:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The initial 4 logs (and the 5th you get from his hideout after the opening mission) explain Aiden's childhood and motivation after Lena's death. Basically, he initially has no major plan other than "Find who killed my niece while trying to kill me, find out why, and then kill them." I think he started trying to prevent crimes mostly because he realized that he could actually do so and help people with his ctOS hacks.

If you asked him, he'd probably justify all the theft as "for the greater good." I think a major problem with people trying to parse out his motivations and his morality are making the mistake of assuming that the game follows typical protagonist-centered morality, where you need to associate with the protagonist and assume that they're the Good Guy and are doing the right thing. From what I've seen, a big part of the storyline is that Aiden isn't necessarily doing the right thing or doing a very good job.

Yeah, I actually like that Aiden is a horrible fuckup.

Seriously, he's spying on his sister. He regularly fails to save civilians/stop crimes. He gets kicks out of spying on regular people, and lives in an array of cargo containers spread out across the city. The vast, vast majority of the plot is him attempting to stop something the Club/Blume/Viceroys are doing, only for them to let him know they knew he was coming several missions past, and have now hosed up his life in xyz ways.

He's not a hero. He's a goony script kiddie who gets his hacks homemade for him by Clara, and whose only accomplishing anything because his enemies are currently in the process of switching everything over to new systems.

Yes people like him, but they do so because Chicago in this world is -real hosed up-, and he is actually shooting the dudes making it so. Even a goon like Aiden is still better then the CPD.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that isn't backed up by the game. If it was better written, yes, Aiden would be portrayed as a kind of pathetic fuckup but he isn't. He's portrayed as different times as psychopath, a superhero or a regular guy pushed to the edge. His hacking skills are discussed in-game and while it'd make more sense for him to just be a Script Kiddy he's pretty obviously in-universe supposed to be talented at what he does. (And you gaining experience points represents an increase in his skills.) The game goes out of its way to try to make him sympathetic and nobody sympathetic ever really calls him out on his poo poo. The closest is Nicky and she's incredibly loving understanding about the fact that Aiden got her daughter killed, got her kidnapped and is a mass-murdering vigilante.

Like, this is part of the problem. All of the stuff you said would make more sense for the character than what he actually got for the storyline as-is. Watch_Dogs never quite decides what it wants to do with its characters and it shows. Aiden could be anything from Batman to the Punisher to a crazy dork at any given moment but they're never willing to commit to any one thing.

They wave at everything but never are willing to just embrace a single tone. Watch_Dogs would have been a much better game if it knew what it wanted to be instead of trying to be everything for everyone.

He isn't actually a hacker. Damien/Clara/T-Bone make multiple mentions of being the ones supplying him with his hacks. You can view his Hacking tree as Clara getting better and supplying him with better hacks if you want, but he's by and large a script kiddie. Damian only taught him the basics, not the advanced stuff he does in game.

And yeah, I'll agree the writing is not very well handled, and a bit all over the place, but at least for Act 1-3, he's presented as a failure. He's a publicly known vigilante who has done nothing to protect the family who shares his name. He goonishly watches people all over the city, waiting for "crimes" to pop up so he can save people and get an ego boost. He's basically reading from a "social engineering done right!" book, and using the techniques constantly, even though they never work on anyone he tries them on.

The problem is they do nothing to tie this into the fact this is a video game. As you said, he swings from psychopath to super hero depending on what he's doing, and can easily gun down entire groups of trained killers with a pistol and a few hacks. This directly counters the narrative arc of him being such a fuckup, and it feels like they couldn't figure out a way to mesh the two Aiden's, so just gave up, which leads us to this really schizophrenic character.

Fuzz posted:

AC4 was a better game overall and now I wonder if the delay for this wasn't to avoid a dent in AC4's sales but to prevent people from immediately comparing them and calling this game a lame duck.

This is outselling AC4, and is apparently the best selling new IP ever created. I think the delay was entirely to prevent this ruining AC4s initial sales.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yeah I'm mostly through Act 1 and I still don't get what Aiden has to do with all the Snowden-esque fight for truth stuff Ubi promoted this on. Aiden is just a maniac that has as always worked as a criminal and yet for some reason can get vigilante points now by doing crime STOPPING missions. Why the hell does he want to stop crime when he's literally working off it himself? None of it makes a lick of a sense. And honestly it's probably a fair reason not to buy the "we'll fix it with a sequel" for some because so far they seem to have put about 90% of story effort into trying to be a GTA-bad-guys-are-cool-trope and ignored massive issues they invoke. Not confident that will change.

The Snowdenesque stuff is pretty much Act 2 on fyi. The game goes from "MY NIEEEEECE" to "Oh I should probably save the city shouldn't I." fairly quickly.

^^^^ Seattle because we've only had one goddamn open world game, and it's the most connected place on the planet.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, I'm hearing a lot of gamers say the first Act's tone feels really awkward, I don't think its just us. Hopefully Ubisoft is hearing the same.

Sadly from talking to people at work/checking their forums, everyone loves Aiden and thinks he's the coolest guy ever. :suicide:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Speedball posted:

You might have to be looking at him through a camera to issue orders.

You know, thinking about it, I feel like I've spent more of this game camera hopping/doing camera based missions/doing hacking based missions/setting traps then I have actually done straight up gunfights.

I have been skipping the Gang Hideouts/Convoys for later though, and doing a ton of the QR/Weapon dropoffs though, which I imagine is part of that perception.

If Ubisoft can just bunker down and clean out what didn't work, Watch Dogs 2 should be a really great game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I liked the dad/daughter one in the southern district. Where the daughter proclaims she's going to make her father the prettiest princess in the land for mom, and the dad attempts to get out of it before finally letting her braid his hair/apply makeup.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fans posted:

There's some funny ones in there too like the guy who's stolen a shop mannequin and is trying to convince it to eat more

Actually wait that one might still be depressing.

I got the feeling he was really socially hosed, and was attempting to roleplay a conversation with a real woman he was going to have rather then wanting to gently caress the mannequin.

The way he kept retrying lines/talking about an abusive other at least gave me that impression.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Soarer posted:

Is it really that far fetched that he is hypocritical though? When he does something, he justifies it to himself. When others do a bad thing he considers it wrong and feels he needs to stop them, sometimes by doing the same thing they did, but they deserve what they get.

Hypocrisy like this is not uncommon in society. You cut someone off and you feel justified for "reasons". Someone cuts you off and you get pissed at "that rear end in a top hat"

Hey man, Wei is not a hypocrite. He's a cop sure, and he spends most of his time killing people/driving over innocents, but that's not hypocritical. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!

Oh wait, we were talking about how Aiden being hypocritical is quite damning to his character/the plot again weren't we. Not the character of the other Dog related game that has the exact same problem, is also built around a singular gimmick, and also has some issues when it comes to interesting side content. I sometimes get the titles confused.

I liked Aiden for the same reasons I liked Wei. Both are goony fucks who go around beating the poo poo out of people below their pay grade because they are total assholes. Both are supposedly motivated by the loss of a female family member, which is their reason for taking apart crime rings, however it quickly becomes apparent that both are really just in this because they want to legally be able to beat people up. Just one is Asian and kills his exgirlfriend by locking her in a trunk, and one is fake white Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

I'm just in quest 7 of 9 in act 1, but do these characters get any better? Do they undergo development? Or are they locked into their default positions? Because this game is a who's who of who cares so far.

Aiden is a mopey douche, his sister is a giant bitch, his nephew is an indecisive mute (he wanted Aiden to be there! But oh no he suddenly won't talk), Clara has the worst voice acting, Jordi is the character I most want to shoot in the dick... I think the only person that isn't a giant twat is that Lucky dude, and he's off his rocker!

Can we stop having gravelly-voiced protagonists, please? Of all the things wrong with Bale's Batman, making that voice popular is probably the worst. I think part of it's just that Aiden's VA sounds so bored. Noam Chomsky over there was clearly in it for the paycheck. Ubisoft called him at 5AM and asked if he'd read his lines over the phone or something.

And because you know WD2 is in the works, I hope Gang Hideouts are more prominent. Those quests and the ctOS Control Centers are the only good missions I've encountered so far. They play to the game's strengths - using hacking and doodads to sneak around (or using a silenced pistol to slowly get to your target) and are fun as hell. I have a feeling once I'm done with the Hideouts, it'll just be crappy shootouts and escaping the cops.

Escaping the cops, by the by, pitifully easy if you're even remotely close to water. There aren't any boat-cops. I got the 'escape a level 5 wanted level' achievement just by swimming down a river. :effort:

Everyone but Aiden gets decent development/becomes likable in some way or another.

The problem with Aiden is they obviously looked at Batman as someone people liked, and decided to emulate him. The problem is nobody really likes Batman, they like his Rogue's Gallery and how they make Batman tick. Aiden doesn't have a Joker/Bane to set him off, and instead is a bad mix of Batman/a Noir Detective.

• Locked thread