Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://wccftech.com/review/watch-dogs-review-hacker-hoped/
first review.
apparently the multiplayer is kinda crap, but everything else is mostly alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/05/watch-dogs-opening-sequence-xbox-360.html?m=1

First 10 minutes of the game, Spoilers obviously. looks interesting enough.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dreffen posted:

Why are there memes in my serious video game about hacking? :qq:

half of those are from some wannabe anon hacker who also does lovely dubstep named Defualt in the game. you blow his face off near the end of the game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

One detail struck me as I was going through the Iraq ghetto section: a lot of the people you kill are basically kids when you first go there, I noticed at least 3/4 15 year olds.

Yeah, i saw that too. I am mixed with the game so far, it reminds me alot of assassins creed 1 with the interesting concepts and overly heavy handed messaging. I dont mind heavy handed messaging sometimes and think it works well in some games such as the new wolfenstein game. in watch dogs, its mixed, the profile stuff made me actually try to be non-lethal at points, the problem comes in when act 2 roles around. I loving wasted crispin and all his gently caress faced friends so hard. aiden has the same problems altair does, he is to much of blank slate.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Undead Muppet posted:

I finished the story a few days ago, and overall I thought it was a pretty good story, even if some of the individual scenes were badly written and acted, and there being a few plot holes/weird logic near the end. It's also weird to me that everyone thinks Aiden is supposed to be thought of as heroic, when the game actually calls him out for being a bad person. The story is a neo-noir presenting a tale of corruption, greed, and selfishness with Aiden being the protagonist, but not the hero.

Full story spoilers ahead:

Aiden is a violent, alienated criminal who lives in a fantasy world in his own head where he recasts his actions as those of a heroic vigilante. It's implied that his father was an IRA terrorist whom Aiden idolized, and when he grew up to be like his father, his own mother told Aiden she was ashamed of what he had become. At the beginning of the game, Aiden is the bagman in a straight up robbery that goes wrong. Aiden's greed sets off the events that culminate in Lena's death.

Aiden has zero friends. Never once does he call on an old friend for help, or have any normal social contact at all. Everyone who helps him is either a hired mercenary (Jordi), strong-armed into it (T-bone, Bedbug), or helping him reluctantly out of guilt (Clara). By the end of the game he has no family either. His sister makes it clear that Aiden will no longer be a part of her life.

The most damning scene is when Aiden drops off Jackson at the psychologist's house after rescuing him from the Mafia restaurant. Aiden tries to get Jackson to buy into his hero fantasy by saying "You're like the Healer, [which makes me whatever is the equivalent of the warrior in this in-universe toy line]" and Jacks says "Yeah, except no, because this is real life." It's the equivalent of Aiden say "See Jackson, you're like young Robin, and I'm Batman trying to protect you" and Jacks replying "Yeah, except Batman is a fictional character, while you're a real person killing real people." Aiden can't even get a little kid to buy into his bullshit fantasy.

As for the overall story, it has the trappings of classic noir, where there's a resolution, but the world hasn't changed, and everyone is worse off than they were at the beginning of the story. Nicky has to start her life completely over and because of Aiden she has blood on her hands. Jacks is going to be traumatized after watching his uncle murder a dozen people. Clara is dead. T-bone will have to go on the run again, and if any civilians died during the CtOS outage, that will double down on the guilt he already felt from the deaths in the 2003 blackout. Jordi's favorite suit is probably ruined.

Also, the theme of corruption runs strong through the entire game. The Mayor scandal and his ties to the Mafia, the pending double crossing between the Viceroys and the Chicago South Club, CtOS engaging in domestic spying and experiments with brainwashing, Blume accepting money from Lucky Quinn to start the CtOS project. There's even literal corruption. The video at the center of the plot, and the data and HUD visual corruption caused by Default a later Damien. The game is even set in Chicago, a city infamous for corruption. Aiden is a corrupted version of real-world Batman. Nearly every element of the game is drenched in it.

Personally, I think Aiden is an interesting unlikable character, and the story was good if not necessarily well told.

And if you want to ignore the story entirely, then it's still a fun game with a lot to do, different ways to do almost everything, and somewhat innovative multiplayer that often results in entertainment even when you lose.

The part that struck me the most was the second time you save jackson and you fight wave after wave of hipster mobsters and it ends up that Jackson saw the full thing on the because he was hiding in the surveillance room. poor kid is already suffering from severe PTSD, god knows how much more psychological damage aiden caused the poor kid. Overall i liked the games story, the only problem i honestly had was not being able to shoot sick fuckers at the "auction".

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Reclaimer posted:

Though she was sold at auction, Maurice's wife is probably still alive, somewhere.

The fact that you couldn't shoot up that auction and kill half the clients after aiden gets found out is dumb.

• Locked thread