Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Fonzarelli posted:

I bet you're gonna follow people in this game a lot, both on foot and in car, running and walking slowly.

That's so last century, dude! It'll be about following people via mobile phone and computer, facebook and twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

If this game allows me to sit at a major intersection and just constantly change the traffic lights then it will be GOTY.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Moartoast posted:

Unironically this. I don't care much if I can stop crimes or debate the moral ambiguity of shooting virtual mans before or after they shoot virtual mans for the sake of my glorified wanted level. That stuff's cool and all, but I just want to behave like the dorky rear end that I am and sit around loving with the AI and snickering at the reactions to sudden massive car pileups and exploding fuse boxes.

If the game does this, I will be happy.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Found this for any UK Goons - Game Seek have Watch Dogs (Day 1 Edition? I don't know) for 25-pounds.
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/VideoGamesn2ch24ukge/Watch-Dogs-Day-1-Edition#desc

Gameseek seem to be legit - this may be the cheapest pre-order around for physical?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

https://ie.webuy.com/blog/feature.php?article=tag:blogger.com,1999:blog-1918688228918285001.post-4656275341375170339 - Review? I am confused. Why is it 5/5. Why is it there.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Roman posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/redcoatrussell He's playing PC Ultra Settings

Why are people who stream always so obnoxious. It doesn't look too boring, though.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Macksy posted:

I'm liking how when your phone scans people and displays their info all the old-looking people are in their 20's and all the young looking people are in their 30-late 40's.

I guess his bizarre world has old people being all hip with technology?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Watching around at stuff and the game does look to be 'Typical Ubisoft Sandbox game BUT WITH NEW GIMMICK'?

I was thinking of cancelling my pre-order, but AssCreed4 was a pretty fun game, so maybe I should give Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt and this'll be a pretty fun LSD-Hacking and 'Social Engineering' simulator.

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 23, 2014

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

It's also a really hollow complaint because no poo poo the Assassin's Creed games play similarly to each other.

But with 'New gimmick' every time! Although gimmick may or may not actually be fun. Pirate gimmick was really fun, though.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I wonder how much side content (And what kind of things it unlocks) there will be? AssCreed 3 style where it's Side-Missions: The Game?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

w00tuberjedi posted:

There is a lot of side quests and most of them seem to confer some sort of unlock, be it a weapon, skill or vehicle. I really do like the side-quest/unlock/skill system.

Good to know. Does the character get a hub(Base, hideout, hat shop) in this game, out of interest?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

w00tuberjedi posted:

I have hacked so many traffic lights it's not even funny. I have yet to see more than 4-5 cars involved in accidents and I have yet to see any NPC bystanders interact with those accidents other than a gasp or something inconsequential.

Realistic NPC AI that has the Bystander Effect built in.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Azurrat posted:

Other side activities exist, too, but they're very minor things like "hack your way into an apartment's video feed, watch a scripted event". If there's one thing that this game has done remarkably well, it's making the NPCs feel alive. I find it a lot harder to just run people over and spray bullets into the crowd when I just heard a phone conversation between a husband and wife trying for a baby or whatever.

I like the sound of this. Something I do want to see done more in sandbox games is humanization of NPCs. I'd be very curious to see how the average player would change their method of violence and destruction if you brought in the idea of a far more realistic and living world that would react to them gunning down innocent people.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Azurrat posted:

You can do this in Watch Dogs too.

Side note: Goddamn I love running in this game. There's no parkour, but just jogging around on foot really brings this game to life. Seems like you're never far from something to do, and if you gently caress with the profiler nonstop you can stumble across some fun stuff. I especially love the NPC reactions to everything you do. I'm creeping around, trying to sneak into a gang stronghold, when I hear a woman behind me say "See, honey? Drugs." I jumped on a motorcycle once and immediately crashed, a guy nearby started clapping and yelled "yeah man, chicago drivers"

This is brilliant. The game does sound like it is what I wanted it to be (Chicago dickbag simulator)

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Everything in this is either funny or fun looking.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

Hacking into routers so you can play with webcams is fun.

Until right after you hack some money the couple on bed start crying about the guy's cancer and a baby on the way.

I have nearly $200k, let me open their account and make a deposit. :smith:

I'm shocked you can't do this. It'd make an easy 'Good guy points!' thing..

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Moartoast posted:

I actually kind of feel like you should be able to do stuff like this, and without it rewarding you in any way. It would be a great way to tie into the whole moral ambiguity thing where you choose how much you care about otherwise meaningless collections of polygons.

I demand a Robin Hood outfit.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Game of the year.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Bobtista posted:

It's true. There's no tie to the morality system for the hacks, it's just whether you personally think it's ok to steal that persons $200 and can live with the guilt of loving over some digital cancer patient or whatever the game assigns them. The entire premise of the game is flawed in the same way. You got caught robbing people and as a consequence of your actions your niece died, so you go out and continue robbing people despite the fact your sister and nephew could still be targetted whilst on your quest for revenge because.

I am curious - can you actively just decide not to hack certain people (Good or needy people)? Does there need to be a tie to the morality system when you, yourself have the agency to decide these things?

I doubt this was the intention - but it could be a subtle attempt at getting the player to think for themselves and target intelligently instead of just following the carrot.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Bobtista posted:

Sure, if you don't want the money you don't have to hack them. It has absolutely no impact on the game except for how much cash you have (which doesn't seem to be very important because there are other ways to get money) and your own conscience being sad with you abusing imaginary people.

Yeah I thought this would be the case.

The idea of giving the player agency to make the moral choice to not hurt innocent people falls down once you include the pavlovian conditioning we've seen in gaming to 'get the reward to get better stuff'. Although it is a nice idea in theory to let the player go "Hm, no I do not want to do this" but.. it falls down when there is little impact inside the virtual world.

Would've been cool to have some feedback.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Randler posted:

GMG's current 20 percent coupon works on Watch_Dogs. Has anybody bought the game on GMG and can tell me if they give out the key today already so I could preload?

Not had my keys from them yet. But then again, I'm in GMT+0. Maybe they'll send them out later on today?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Moartoast posted:

Also mod talk: Make a mod for a perpetual rainy night and maybe find a way to add some more of that sweet, sweet synth ambience to the open world and I will play this forever. Also maybe find a way to make a Rorschach skin out of the Darkman outfit, since Aiden's already basically an even-dorkier Rorschache anyways.

And add a Noir filter? That'd be fun.

Edit: Spelling is hard.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

big duck equals goose posted:

also it would be cool if you could wear a fedora!

But what if you could wear -two- Fedoras.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Moartoast posted:

Aw jeez man I don't know if the engine can handle it.

I do like the Cyberpunk skin - It's free 'Gun' is a rad bonus! And the Fedora isn't super-bad. Atleas.. Wait.. What's under that scarf. Is it a neckbeard?!

Watch_Dogs 2: Two Fedora Simulator.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Game is running like rear end on medium on my system; i7 930 (2.80Ghz), a GTX 660 (2-gigabytes EVGA) and 6-gigabytes of RAM. Is it the RAM that's the problem here?

Edit: I am dumb it's a 660.

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 28, 2014

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

It could more likely be the settings, what have you set it to?

I'm running it on High Textures - 1 GPU buffer, 1 VSYNC, The first level of AA. For Graphic Options; Detail is as High, Shadows are at low, reflection are at medium, water is at high, shader is at medium, Ambient Occo is at HSBC(Or whatever)+low.

I'm also using the target line -Disabledpagefilecheck and I'm running the 337.88 drivers.

Made a mistake; it's a 660 GTX, not a 760. Still 2 gigabytes of memory though.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

This is a huge wildshot, but try to set the AA to a higher one. I think some of those were accidentally taxing systems higher when on low than completely off or with a different altogether.

No help, I'm afraid. Although I messed about with the settings - the level of detail is playing a huge role in lagging it. I'm going to guess it's either a CPU or a RAM issue as my GPU should be okay with this.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

IchGestalt posted:

No help, I'm afraid. Although I messed about with the settings - the level of detail is playing a huge role in lagging it. I'm going to guess it's either a CPU or a RAM issue as my GPU should be okay with this.

Watching the resource monitor while I play around - Anything above medium is making my 'Free' memory hit 0 constantly. Could this be the problem?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Sandweed posted:

If you get your reputation all the way over to good guy, pedestrians will start calling you "The Fox"

La Volpe!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I meet all the other requirements for High graphical settings except RAM - after testing how this was effecting it I found that the game will run just fine until I start moving at speed or a lot of things start happening.

Would upgrading from 6(2x3) gigabytes to 16(2x8) gigabytes help solve this? I assume it would, but asking for more expert opinions.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

How on Earth do you get the DLC to activate anyway? I preordered and it's as if I got nothing of what I should have gotten.

Mine was just in the wardrobe in the hideout. Gangster one is pretty rad but I do dislike how they force the weapons onto you and you can't get rid of them. Finishing the very first mission and suddenly I have a tommygun, a 1991, a revolver. All under my coat.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

This game loving owns. Yeah, driving is kind of rough and takes some getting used to. I might try a 360 controller tonight to see if it's better than mouse and keyboard.

I found using a controller made it easier as you have more contextual control over go and stop - not just ON and OFF but you can slowly increase speed. Makes it easier for turning.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you sure its RAM or is it graphical RAM? Big difference. You could be hitting the limits of the ram onboard your graphics card, in which case you're just going to need to buy a new card, no other way to upgrade. If it is main system RAM, then there' still the question of if you're hitting a bottlneck on speed or on size. If you've filled it up, then you're thrashing to hard drive which means its gonna go slow, so getting more will speed it up. But if you aren't full on system RAM, getting more will do absolutely nothing, you'd have to get faster RAM instead.

How many things are running in the background? Try killing every program other than uPlay and Watch Dogs, (especially chrome, its a memhog)

RAM usually doesn't help with games much unless you're too low, 6-8 GB should be plenty. RAM isn't a silver bullet like some gamers seem to think. I think you either need a new GPU (most likely), a new CPU, or faster RAM before you need just more RAM total. You probably need more dedicated graphics RAM though.

Are you just setting everything to "high"? Do you know what the individual settings mean? Try putting it on custom. If the texture quality is what puts you over the edge, its probably graphics ram. Set everything to high and then turn textures to medium. And turn off SSAO completely.

I spent time checking every possible setting mixture to see the results; I have 2 Gigabytes of graphical RAM on this card, but only 6 Gigabytes of system RAM (Which caps out everytime I run the game). I should be able to run it on High Textures, unless it actively needs more than 2 gigabytes? I'm thinking of upgrading my system RAM anyway, as more games do seem to be pushing towards wanting 8 - and having some extra room is never bad.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

You think 16GB-32GB RAM is gonna improve Watch Dogs performance? You're bottlenecked on your CPU and GPU and graphics-RAM at that point, not system RAM. Check out the process sometime while its running, it doesn't use that much RAM.

I don't know - I finished upgrading my RAM and it's running way smoother. Guess that was the problem.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

ScienceAndMusic posted:

6->8 is a decent increase but anything above 8 is likely overkill unless you are doing hardcore renderings. I would venture a guess and say you had bad RAM. How old was the RAM you just replaced?

About two years - I was originally thinking of going for just 8; however It wasn't much more expensive to go for these 16 due to a deal the place I got it from had + some credit. So why not.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

If everything is connected to wifi then why can't I hack the light switch to turn off the lights?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

The gangster costume makes me wish this game was a full sci-fi Blade Runner-esque game where Aiden is a Junker or something, hunting down Cyborgs with his advanced technology to stop them taking over the world in sci-fi Chicago where it rains all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Sindai posted:

EDIT: Can you shoot a grenade out of the air or an enemy's hand using focus? I keep meaning to try it and then forgetting when I'm actually in a fight. I did try shooting a guy while he was trying to save himself from a hacked grenade, hoping to force him to drop it at his feet, but sadly the animation seems to be uninterruptible.

Yes. I just tested this. It's pretty hilarious.

• Locked thread