Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'd imagine most skepticism actually comes from the fact that it's an Ubisoft open world game. That doesn't mean it's going to be terrible or anything, but it will be pretty surprising if it isn't a very slight reskinning of the concepts that are already in AC and Far Cry, complete with tailing missions, outposts, and a story that thinks too highly of itself.

Also, the intriguing premiere video slowly gave way to less interesting stuff like spider mechs and shooting dudes with guns. If it had been entirely about a relatively grounded version of Chicago with super deep interaction via hacking that would have been great. Realistically, you're not going to be walking around amazed at all the dirt you're pulling up on random people and using that information in inventive ways, but seeing all that stuff as randomized data that you plug into a handful of prescribed mechanics.

It could still be pretty fun though, in the same way that climbing and stabbing people is fun in AC, or hunting endangered animals to make a wallet is fun in Far Cry.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Noooo don't tell him. He's already decided long ago, you don't need to open that line of thinking again!
Honestly, I want all games to be awesome. I've just played enough titles from this studio tag team to know that ridiculous things might show up and be played straight. I'll be happy if it turns out to be truly different and interesting, but they have a formula and it's been working for them sales-wise.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Games can't be good unless they are really high-minded wankfests.
You know no one was saying that. Sleeping Dogs was far from high art but it was pitch perfect. A nice balance of humor and drama that wasn't overwrought, giving you stuff to care about as you progressed through the game. The last few Saints Row stories had flaws but they also worked by virtue of being as absurd as the gameplay.

When people criticize Ubisoft's open world games (aside from Blood Dragon) it's because they're essentially Dan Brown or low end Michael Crichton in video game form. It's schlock that takes itself seriously and expects your mind to be blown.

The framing device in AC4 was playful and conceptually cool, but even that was squandered when it came time to have the player do something within it and progress the story. If Watch Dogs can do something equally ridiculous but pull it off that would be great.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

So what turned people against this game anyway? I remember a lot of people being really optimistic and excited about it, but the general mood seems to have deflated if not outright turned now.

For the most part it's probably just different people. I never commented on the game much in the past myself, but as the release date approaches and we're getting a better picture of what the game is, I posted about my concerns without writing the game off.

The graphics downgrade isn't a concern for me, mostly it comes down to Ubisoft's track record with game elements that look deep/interesting at first but ultimately prove to be shallow and not well-considered parts of a cohesive whole.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 21, 2014

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

I thought the PC version was supposed to look like the 2012 video.

It doesn't have as much detail, but it looks pretty nice, as does the PS4 version. The Xbox One screens are the only ones that stick out.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Robo Reagan posted:

So uhh, is the game loving good or not? I got a slightly futuristic Dishonored+GTA vibe from the trailers.

I can handle some reddit humor because i accepted awhile ago that they're the cool kids and we're not, if that makes a difference.

It has slightly futuristic ideas, it has stealth, and it has a GTA-like structure. Opinions divide on how well any of these things are implemented. To me, it doesn't do any of the above in a way that's engaging on a moment-to-moment level. Hacking is straightforward and prescribed, there is very little room for pure stealth given the AI's super short patrols and their tendency to cluster, and the driving model isn't great so getting around the world isn't hugely satisfying.

This is the sort of game that you might get a lot out of if you like looking at big maps and knowing there are lots of side activities waiting to be checked off, and that's about it.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

MinibarMatchman posted:

So the freerunning in this game doesn't really amount to much, does it? Just basic "jump over fences" and poo poo? The game previews made it seem like you could climb all over poo poo like in AC games; maybe not to the same effect but at least more acrobatic than in GTA.

Yeah, it's just straightforward climbing over stuff. It's also a little disappointing because you can't jump (don't laugh at me) so a very short gap from one elevated surface to another has to be dealt with by climbing down then up. Occasionally dropping or climbing down from a ledge is super fiddly and Aiden winds up shuffling in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Anatharon posted:

So is the game basically just 'Screed? I don't really like the AC series but if there's more to it then that I'll try it out sometime later.
Well, structurally I'd say it's very similar to AC. You've got your big map with all the familiar icons and side activities and outposts/towers/etc.

It departs in the ways that are sort of obvious, like the setting, GTA trappings, and focus on gunplay and stealth instead of melee combat. So the way you travel and fight is different but the overall vibe is similar, if that makes sense.

• Locked thread