Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I took a closer look at the videos posted earlier, and one thing I was really happy about is this:

Skyscrapers aren't just textured boxes anymore - they have (somewhat) visible interiors. Of course, since you're mostly down on the ground (Can you even steal helicopters in this game?) it might just be a few lights on the ceiling, but it's a small detail that makes the city seem more real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

poptart_fairy posted:

So what turned people against this game anyway? I remember a lot of people being really optimistic and excited about it, but the general mood seems to have deflated if not outright turned now.

There was a significant graphics downgrade from what was shown in the 2012 reveal, as Ubisoft realized the new consoles wouldn't be made out of a zillion cores with terabytes of RAM. So people interpret this as Ubisoft blatantly lying to them when they showed the 2012 video.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

That loving Sned posted:

If you knew someone was hacking your phone, couldn't you just turn it off? Maybe remove the battery just in case.

Yeah I'll just remove the battery of my iPhone on the fly, without any special tools or anything.

(And I bet a hacker could fake the "turning your phone off" process so it'll still be on, just with a black screen)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Some people are saying you can even play it if you got a valid code.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

ShootaBoy posted:

Nice to see Ubi being so chill about the leaks.

Is that even an official account?

edit: It is, but I wonder what they actually mean by that? Does that mean the early unlocking on Uplay was intentional? I wonder if I will get the game today if I buy directly through Uplay.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 23, 2014

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Of course, there are tons of people who hate GTA5 and SR4 too, so that's pretty much par for the course.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I gotta say the shadows/reflections thing is a bit disappointing. In Ubisoft's defense, GTA4/V doesn't have "true" reflections on building facades either, since neither you nor other people or traffic gets reflected. (There are some points where GTAV has true reflection, but that's mainly on mirrors in bathrooms and other cramped spaces where reflecting the world isn't that performance degrading).

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Free DLC gun anyone?

Enter 2L4K-7KK5-HFM9 on http://watchdogs.monsterenergy.com/desktop

Multiplatform code (including PC) to get the MP-412 Rex gun. This code can be used more than once I think.

Dunno is that gun is crap but hey, free stuff!

I can't select PC in the dropdown box there. Should I just select a console and I'll get a code that works on PC anyway?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Welp that sucks. I'm not planning to get it on PS4 anyway but I generated a code so if someone wants it: PABK-3FNN-8RBP

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Gamesguy posted:

For people who bought it on steam, don't bother trying to unlock the game early with VPNs. I just tried Korea, Japan, and Australia servers and none of them has it early despite what wiki claims.

Steam preload is up now though.

You hosed something up then. I unlocked via Australia and it worked perfectly.

Also, the cops in this game do not gently caress around, I tried one side mission where I should transport a car, instantly get wanted level two, FINALLY manage to get rid of the cops, then I have to dodge some yellow search lights and if I get detected, I get wanted level three which is impossible. (Of course, I'm like one hour into the game so I have none of my cool upgrades yet)

Is there any reason why there are fixers that sell you digital trips around the city, when you have all the trips unlocked from the start and can use them anywhere?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Anyone else having a problem with the crosshair and profiler data wobbling slightly? It's not much, but it's annoying, and since the crosshair wobbles too I guess it's not an intentional effect.

Apart from that, the game runs surprisingly well on my i5/7870 combo. Can run on high 1080p (With AA off) and get around 40-50 FPS in most of the city.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Just a warning: If you mess with the video settings too much and go above what your machine handles, it starts getting bad performance no matter what setting you use. The solution to this is to just restart the game, but might explain why some people are saying the game runs badly.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Just spent a few hours with a friend's PS4 copy, and the people comparing it to rear end Creed 1, for good and ill, are right on the money.

This is a deeply flawed game that drives like poo poo, has uninteresting writing, and mostly treads water as it pertains to things like combat. It feels more spartan than it should in every way, down to the available customization for the player character. Despite that, it's fun to tool around in, has an appealing premise, and is full of potential. People who really like open-world games and the hacking concept or are craving a new game with Dark Souls multiplayer will find things to enjoy about it. Whether it's worth $60 depends on how much you care about those things. Watch Dogs 2 is probably going to be swell.

I think while it has a lot of the same problems as AC1, it's still better than AC1 because they've added a lot of content and side missions.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

daveline posted:

What's the wiggly line in the bottom left above the battery icon for?

Focus (slow time down) bar. The more "squares" on the line, the more you can use focus.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

DheeradjS posted:

Yes tehre is, and it sucks balls.

Also, the nerd that decided the way you navigate the smartphone was a good idea should be shot.

You can use the arrow keys and page up/page down to navigate phone menus, which makes the whole thing a bit more tolerable.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, the first invasion is a scripted NPC, after that they're all real people.

It's funny how this game offers up all the stuff at the beginning and yet has story missions that introduce them. Like, you can get IEDs right from the get-go, yet there's a storyline mission that is explicitly there to introduce the IEDs. Again, felt like they were trying to avoid the Assassin's Creed tutorialization, but then I always actually kinda liked that feeling of progression and getting cool new stuff as you go.

Yeah, it seems like they went the complete opposite direction of AC3, what with all the digital trips and AR games being on your phone from the start of the game. Not sure why there are still dealers around, maybe it was too much effort to remove them?

Also, the message that you get when drinking a soft drink says "after you unlock focus this will boost your focus skill temporarily"

(Focus isn't something you unlock, sooo)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Then it must have been pretty early, I can't remember a point in the game when I didn't have focus.

edit: I'm dumb and misremembering, it was an unlock, it just was the first unlock I picked, because hey, slow motion shooting!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

wit posted:

Daft question, but has anyone on the PC version managed to cancel searching for an online player once it starts searching? It says press and hold "x", but nothings happening and I'm getting stuck unable to do other stuff waiting for it to time out when the server is lovely.

It's not X. It's backspace.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Butt Ghost posted:

I bought a physical PC copy of Watch Dogs because I literally had nothing better to do, and I have two questions:

Is there any way to register this on steam?

I remember reading that there was a setting you could change in a txt file or something that makes the game look better. Where do I find the file? What do I change to what? etc.

1. No, the only way to get Watch Dogs on Steam is to buy it on Steam. All other versions simply give you an Uplay code. (You can add a non-Steam game shortcut but I guess that's not what you wanted)

2. That setting was a placebo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I haven't seen it so far in the game (Only just started Act 2), but I wonder if there will be something named ctRL-OS, since it fits with the pattern of ctZN.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I really wish you got a small boost for scaring criminals off. After all, you did stop a potential crime.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Like half of the times I've tailed someone, they instantly act like they know something's up. But I've never discovered being tailed myself. Weird.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is it possible to unlock the ctOS tower in the northwest corner of Mad Mile at any time, or is it connected to a mission? I have no idea how I can reach the roof with the tower.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It's funny how the game handles reflective surfaces.

- Building windows use static cube maps as far as I can see, and therefore are wildly inconsistent with regards to what buildings you see reflected and what time of day is in the reflection

- Sea water uses screen space reflections, and that means only what's already on your screen can be reflected. Try to move your view down so the top of your screen aligns with the water edge - all reflections disappear

- However, vehicle chrome and rain puddles have more proper reflections. It doesn't reflect any people or cars, but all buildings are shown with the right time of day on the sky. Not sure why that effect couldn't be used for the other surfaces in the game.

Also, someone earlier said shadows moved faster when you were moving compared to standing still. That is because the actual passage of time depends on if you're moving or not - find a clock on the face of a building, watch it while you stand still, then watch it as you strafe around. The clock speeds up.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

NESguerilla posted:

Why did Aiden need the bridge remote so badly when he could have just swam out to the island or taken a boat? I know there is probably no good answer for this.

Some of the story missions are kind of baffling. I actually think a lot of them are really fun and well constructed, but I really have no idea whats going on sometimes. Like, there is one (the one before you guide Bedbug with the cameras) where you have to go to some random bar to trigger the mission, then you trigger it and another mission marker pops across the map at a garage that you hang out in while you control Bedbug. There was no plot related reason I even needed to go to that bar and the mission didn't even have any gameplay. I guess they just thought bar looked nice and wanted to show it to me?

Isn't that the bar where you drop off the hacking device Bedbug is going to wear?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

the truth posted:

On another note, it's funny to me that this game's Chicago has more verticality in each neighborhood than the entirety of Infamous: Second Son's Seattle.

Still less vertical than GTA5 though. There, you had tons of ladders and fire escapes available for no reason except for you to climb on top of buildings. In Watch Dogs, most fire escapes are decorative and always out of reach.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Party Plane Jones posted:

One detail struck me as I was going through the Iraq ghetto section: a lot of the people you kill are basically kids when you first go there, I noticed at least 3/4 15 year olds.

Tried as adults by jury, judge and executioner Aiden Pearce.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Your second lesson should be to read up and realize the PC version is equal to the next-gen console versions, and therefore have requirements closer to those consoles.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I think "take down" always allows you to kill. I think the nonlethal missions have "beat down" or "knock down" or something.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just started watching this for shits and.... They basically plagiarized the entire movie to make this game. The voice, the clothes, the creepy opening scene on an L train. Dear god it's disturbing.

And of course, the free movie on Netflix is miles better than the $60 game.

I'm pretty sure you can't retroactively plagiarize something. The first trailer for Watch Dogs came out during E3 2012 and that movie didn't show up before late 2012.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Vanderdeath posted:

That doesn't mean much, seeing as how Gearbox literally stole the art direction from an animated short only a few scant months before the game was due out. It's a distinct possibility that the movie could have inspired a sizable portion of the game's feel and story.

Gearbox only added cel shading to the game which was not a major overhaul. Pretty much everything that Watch Dogs shares with the movie was already in the 2012 reveal.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

HoratioRash posted:

So the "trailer level" graphics settings were found in the game files. And reenabled.
Neogaf thread
Guru3d thread
Said download
webm 1 webm 2
Why was this done? Oh who can know TO keep graphics consistent across platforms - ps4 and pc.

I'm skeptical. Apart from adding BLUR EVERYWHERE MORE BLUR BLUR BLUR this looks pretty much like Ultra to me.

I also wonder what exact settings improve performance, or if it's just placebo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

And this is just bullshit taken out of context. That file refers to optimizations for the 360 and PS3. Both PS4, Xbone AND PC goes down the "who cares" path.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Why would you press "1"?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Bad writing. That's it. You could argue that he's only covering up that he was involved in the Stadium incident at the start of the game since that wasn't pure vigilantism but no, it's still stupid.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

I, Butthole posted:

The DLC is just as dumb. T-Bone is a bit more likable than Pearce, but only by fact that he's not a literal wet paper towel, and the story point of how he's begging for forgiveness for his residual guilt from the whopping eleven people he killed in the 2003 blackout after shooting thousands of dudes in the face minutes prior is just as dumb as the main story. The remote control car is cute and makes a few challenges a cakewalk, and all the side mission stuff could have been a nice breath of fresh air with the Sheila subplot (who immediately is convinced that T-Bone is The Vigilante, despite at that point having spied on him, talked to him on the phone regularly, and is a SENIOR DETECTIVE WITH THE CHICAGO PD) but it's all recycled hideouts and enemy locations/patrols from the base game.

Hey, those thousands of generic thug dudes had it coming. They shot at me first. (Or would have, if I hadn't sniped them with my trusty silenced pistol already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Croccers posted:

How's the T-Bone DLC for it? Is it mostly Autistic Batman 1.5? Steam has it for 7.50 for a few more hours. I had a decent enough time with the base game.
Also for uPlay in general: If I redeemed the game on uPlay, can I buy the DLC on Steam and have it work?

I'd say it's worth it, at least just for the sake of having a protagonist that doesn't yell MY NIECEEEEEEEEEEE all the time.

• Locked thread