Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Also reserved for the trip report next week. Launch party in Toronto. Will post pretty pictures and everything, maybe of a local strip club while I'm at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

If a publisher thinks a game isn't going to review well, they'll often push back the review embargo to like the day before release, in order to avoid bad word of mouth and cancelled preorders. The fact that the embargo lifts so early would seem to indicate that Ubisoft isn't worried at all about what reviewers are going to have to say about the game, which is a good sign.

As well considering the cash they've blown on promoting the game (the ARG with the tie-in giveaways, etc) also speaks volumes to their confidence. Plus, during development they haven't exactly kept everything under wraps either. The openness was rather refreshing.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I'm looking forward to the multiplayer the most. The racing mode was designed by the team that made Driver.

Wait what, really? That makes it better then.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Beautiful Ninja posted:

It just makes it easier to cancel the order in case the game you pre-ordered turns out to be a steaming pile of poo poo.

I don't know where you've been shopping but it's never been an issue with me saying "Y'know what? I can't really justify plunking down the remainder of the cash for this game. Could I switch it for something else?" and the store using whatever I put down for the preorder for something else.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Wanderer posted:

You can unlock new outfits by buying them in clothing stores, accomplishing certain goals in certain city games, or some pre-orders.

Whatever you do he's still a dude in a hat and coat, but different outfits change the textures and colors thereof: parkas vs. trenchcoats, khakis vs. jeans vs. slacks, etc.

Also, IIRC, in multiplayer modes you're still Aiden but the other guys you're dealing with appear to you as randomly-generated humans.

Oh, so it's different from GTA Online where you come up with the look of your friendly neighborhood thrillseeker and go to town? The game will automatically make you blend in with the crowd? Sweet. Really adds to the sense of paranoia you'll likely have during even just the free roaming sections of the game.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

^^Holy poo poo, I didn't think it was that bad. But then again they've been saying the AAA publishers are headed for a fall for years now. Maybe it's just a slow grinding to a halt?

Zaphod42 posted:

Only if you want to laugh at how bad it is, like Hackers.

Or topless Halle Berry I guess.

Swordfish does have a pretty over the top opening bank stand off scene that's lovely as something to test your home theatre sound system. But yeah, cheezy as hell.

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 20, 2014

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Welp, I'm off to Toronto for the launch party. I'm all packed, see?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Speedball posted:

Check out the historical hotspots guys. A lot of this crap is just shocking, I had to check to make sure they weren't making it up when they described the "Murder Castle" where a doctor trapped hundreds of people in his Death Mansion.

Also I donated machine gun bullets to the Valentine's Day Murder hotspot. I think I'm a horrible person.

H.H.Holmes' rooming house? Yeah, this guy would've made Hannibal Lecter puke.

Edit: There are also the Cabrini-Green projects: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini%E2%80%93Green. Not mentioned in the article is how it was the partial inspiration for the "Bloody Mary" urban legend, and consequently the movie Candyman.

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I got hacked in the graveyard and I knew the guy was hiding behind one of the bigger gravestones. I just started shooting grenades behind the bigger stones and on my last grenade at 98% I got the fucker. poo poo was tense.

Sometimes it's just plain hosed up though. One time I was about to head into one of my hideouts in the Loop when I get the purple notification that I'm being invaded. So, I start scanning immediately in the alleyway. Turns out he spawns right in front of me. I don't waste any bullets, I just CQC and baton him down. This game sometimes...

• Locked thread