Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bhsman posted:

Why play non-blue Aggro when you could not?

Because Wild Nacatl is a cool and bad card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Sigma-X posted:

Between DRS and Terminus there isn't a good goblins matchup anywhere, Merfolk should be the anti-counter-top deck but again, terminus exists, and yeah, Zoo isn't a deck.

Terminus doesn't need to exist in this format at all.

Lands is not a bad matchup for Miracles. Lands basically has to go all in on a fast Marit Lage and hope that they can loam it multiple times to burn through all the StPs, snap-StPs, and Terminuses before counter-top comes down, because once counter-top comes down they have to get lucky enough to draw more of their 4 dark depths and 4 stages than Miracles draws more of their 12 answers to that combo.

Goblins is one of miracles' worst matchups other than 12 post and merfolk is an OK but not great matchup post-warping wail.

Lands is a good matchup though.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Elyv posted:

Because Wild Nacatl is a cool and bad card

I actually would like to see Delver eventually banned in Legacy, but I'm weird.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

bhsman posted:

Same except pauper.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

bhsman posted:

Personally, I don't think there's anything that needs to be banned, but, there are still several things that could be unbanned safely.

Earthcraft: It only untaps basic lands, and the Squirrel Nest combo is slow.

Goblin Recruiter: The only thing I hear about this is "Time", but that's irrelevant if people are practiced with the deck. Is there a stacking of goblins that would ensure consistent T3 wins anyway?

Hermit Druid: I don't think this is as broken as people say it is. It's slower than Balustrade Spy/Undercity Informer, easy to kill, and would only likely find a niche in some glass-cannon combo deck.

Mind Twist: You need three mana to make this comparable to Hymn. It's not good. It's not scary.

Survival of the Fittest: This was terrifying five years ago. I think unbanning it to see if it's still terrifying would be interesting.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Kraus posted:

Personally, I don't think there's anything that needs to be banned, but, there are still several things that could be unbanned safely.

Earthcraft: It only untaps basic lands, and the Squirrel Nest combo is slow.

Goblin Recruiter: The only thing I hear about this is "Time", but that's irrelevant if people are practiced with the deck. Is there a stacking of goblins that would ensure consistent T3 wins anyway?

Hermit Druid: I don't think this is as broken as people say it is. It's slower than Balustrade Spy/Undercity Informer, easy to kill, and would only likely find a niche in some glass-cannon combo deck.

Mind Twist: You need three mana to make this comparable to Hymn. It's not good. It's not scary.

Survival of the Fittest: This was terrifying five years ago. I think unbanning it to see if it's still terrifying would be interesting.

Recruiter actually enables Belcher decks as well as food chain goblins and is super not okay in legacy and never will be.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

PleasantDirge posted:

Recruiter actually enables Belcher decks as well as food chain goblins and is super not okay in legacy and never will be.

How is Recruiter better than just using Land Grant to get your only land out of your deck? Edit: Belcher doesn't have Goblin as a subtype.

And how scary is Food Chain Goblins? We've got zero data on its performance. Cards can always be re-banned. No one will die from this experiment.

Kraus fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 16, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Same except pauper.

is a man not entitled to the Gush of his brow

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

bhsman posted:

I think Delver could get hosed too, and I have played it many a time. It's probably the biggest mistake they've made with "combat" creatures (as opposed to creatures you play for their non-combat abilities like DRS)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Kraus posted:

How is Recruiter better than just using Land Grant to get your only land out of your deck? Edit: Belcher doesn't have Goblin as a subtype.

And how scary is Food Chain Goblins? We've got zero data on its performance. Cards can always be re-banned. No one will die from this experiment.

Watch the recruiter videos here and see the last time someone tried it. http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/the-banned-series-windfall-and-goblin-recruiter/

Its quite good.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
One advantage for Hermit Druid is it digs for a basic instead of any land, so you can run lands for real in that deck.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

black potus posted:

One advantage for Hermit Druid is it digs for a basic instead of any land, so you can run lands for real in that deck.

What deck wants to mill-tutor for basics rather than just dumping their library?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kraus posted:

What deck wants to mill-tutor for basics rather than just dumping their library?

It's more that you actually get to run lands (as long as they're nonbasic) in your deck while not losing functionality

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I'm saying you can play duals and no basics so that druid dumps library still, but you can play disruption or cantrip with an actual mana base instead of having to be as all in on the combo.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

black potus posted:

I'm saying you can play duals and no basics so that druid dumps library still, but you can play disruption or cantrip with an actual mana base instead of having to be as all in on the combo.

I'd welcome this diversity.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd like us all to take a moment to appreciate the fact that Hermit Druid - the 2 mana creature that says "G, Tap: Win the game" - is legal in commander.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'd like us all to take a moment to appreciate the fact that Hermit Druid - the 2 mana creature that says "G, Tap: Win the game" - is legal in commander.

I have a friend who's putting together a Dralnu deck, which has Dream Halls, Doomsday, Necro, Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Yawgmoth's Will, Demonic, Vampiric, Time Spiral, Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time at least

Basically lolEDH

Elyv fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 17, 2016

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Bugsy posted:

Watch the recruiter videos here and see the last time someone tried it. http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/the-banned-series-windfall-and-goblin-recruiter/

Its quite good.

Unban recruiter, let me run wild like hulkamania with my goblins.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kraus posted:

I'd welcome this diversity.

hm yes a format a very powerful, consistent, and resilient turn 2 kill deck that could run as much disruption as it wants would be very diverse

might as well unban flash hulk while you're at it :laffo:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 19, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Kraus posted:

The thing about Mind Twist is that no one will ever try to cast it in a fair capacity. Unbanning it will either do nothing (in which case there was no point), or create a deck that uses it unfairly (in which case banning it was a mistake).

Never unban cards that are weak when used fairly.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Mind twist is absolutely fair, in a world where slow mirrors exist. Just twisting for 3 or 4 on turn 8 is enough to win most grindy mirrors. Its just not a fast card, and probably hot garbage in the legacy of the moment.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Zoness posted:

hm yes a format a very powerful, consistent, and resilient turn 2 kill deck that could run as much disruption as it wants would be very diverse

might as well unban flash hulk while you're at it :laffo:

You know, I suppose I hadn't considered how little room in the deck the combo would occupy.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Niton posted:

The thing about Mind Twist is that no one will ever try to cast it in a fair capacity. Unbanning it will either do nothing (in which case there was no point), or create a deck that uses it unfairly (in which case banning it was a mistake).

I believe that only cards whose bannings serve a demonstrable purpose should be banned. If Mind Twist is not a threat, it shouldn't be banned. Its unbanning serves to correct the list, so that it is a list of threatening cards.

Pox doesn't generate tremendous amounts of black mana, and if you are generating tremendous amounts of black mana, why not just play Storm?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Niton posted:

....a year after they unbanned Black Vise.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Off the top of my head it seems like you could easily jam Mind Twist into combo elves for T2-T3 full hand wipes, without disrupting the gameplan of the deck at all. There's probably something else like Veteran Explorer decks that could make them very powerful very quickly.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Off the top of my head it seems like you could easily jam Mind Twist into combo elves for T2-T3 full hand wipes, without disrupting the gameplan of the deck at all. There's probably something else like Veteran Explorer decks that could make them very powerful very quickly.

Decreasing creature saturation does hurt the gameplan of the deck somewhat :v:.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sigma-X posted:

If Elves can make 5-6 mana on turn 2-3 and want to blow their wad on a counterable X spell that does not win the game even if it resolves, more power to them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wasn't there a guy on CFB doing a series of what-if articles for Modern un-bannings? I wonder if anyone has ever done articles like that for Legacy.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

C-Euro posted:

Wasn't there a guy on CFB doing a series of what-if articles for Modern un-bannings? I wonder if anyone has ever done articles like that for Legacy.
Yeah, the same guy.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

He talks about what you could do if a card were unbanned, but we need to see it played.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Kraus posted:

He talks about what you could do if a card were unbanned, but we need to see it played.
Scroll down that page and you can see videos of him playing decks built around each card. His mind twist videos are pretty much him getting destroyed by the major decks of the time, because he decided to go with Tezerator as a shell.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

standard.deviant posted:

If Elves can make 5-6 mana on turn 2-3 and want to blow their wad on a counterable X spell that does not win the game even if it resolves, more power to them.

Do you think combo elves does not generate retarded mana by turn 3?

Whether or not it's ideal you'd have to test, and it may not be maindeckable. But considering the deck runs a grip of cabal therapies and frequently additional thoughtseizes / duresses in combo heavy metas, it does not seem like a card that would dodge the deck. There is nothing wrong with casting a spell that says "have force of will or lose" and there are both plenty of combo decks that are potential targets, along with Miracles (a rough elves matchup), Shardless BUG (doesn't even run a grip of FoW), and Jund that would all be decent to fight with huge random discard advantage.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

standard.deviant posted:

Scroll down that page and you can see videos of him playing decks built around each card. His mind twist videos are pretty much him getting destroyed by the major decks of the time, because he decided to go with Tezerator as a shell.
Tezz actually seems like a good fit for twist. Its not a bad deck, definitely fringe playable. Its both grindy and has fast mana, which is what you want for twist.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Sigma-X posted:

If you're going to reliably have it on t2-t3, you're running 3-4 of them. The deck works because it's extremely redundant, it's not worth sacrificing that.

This deck often uses 3+ Cabal Therapy on the SB, and with ~a couple hundred hours of Elves piloting under my belt, I think that Mind Twist is a lot worse than Cabal Therapy in this deck.

Sigma-X posted:

Do you think combo elves does not generate retarded mana by turn 3?
Sure, and it wants to use that mana advancing its own plan or winning on the spot.

quote:

There is nothing wrong with casting a spell that says "have force of will or lose"
Right, and this deck already uses Natural Order in that capacity... which actually wins the game.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 20, 2016

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

your ideas for abusing cards are as terrible as Kraus's rationale for unbanning cards

which says a lot lmbo

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So here's my junk midrange list and GP trip report for those who were asking:

4x Noble Hierarch
2x Birds of Paradise
4x Voice of Resurgence
2x Scavenging Ooze
1x Qasali Pridemage
4x Kitchen Finks
4x Siege Rhino
1x Thrun, the Last Troll

4x Lingering Souls
4x Path to Exile
2x Abrupt Decay
2x Maelstrom Pulse

1x Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

4x Windswept Heath
2x Verdant Catacombs
1x Marsh Flats
2x Horizon Canopy
2x Gavony Township
2x Temple Garden
2x Overgrown Tomb
1x Godless Shrine
1x Stirring Wildwood
1x Shambling Vents
1x Ghost Quarter
1x Westvale Abbey
2x Forest
1x Plains
1x Swamp

Sideboard:
3x Thoughtseize
2x Pithing Needle
2x Surgical Extraction
2x Stony Silence
2x Spellskite
1x Engineered Explosives
1x Gaddock Teeg
1x Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1x Painful Truths

Overall, I'm still very happy with the deck. It felt great all weekend and was amazing against the metagame. It feels like you can't lose against jund and zoo. Lingering Souls is insane vs the current modern metagame. The weakest card overall probably ended up being the Gideon. It tested well locally but got boarded out a lot at the GP. It's good against grindy control decks but I only saw nahiri control 1 time. Thrun was AMAZING all weekend. Won me several games all by himself, and in games where the board was stalled. Spot removal and aggro strategies seemed to be the most common ideas going around all weekend and this deck eats those strategies alive. Pithing Needle is also the nuts and got boarded in a lot.

Highlights:

Game 1 vs abzan company, this is where the Pithing Needle on verdant catacombs story from the main thread came from. Pithing Needle along with decays/pulses secured game 3.

Played against burning tree/bushwacker zoo 3 times. Crushed all 3 no questions asked.

Got into a top deck war game 1 with a nahiri control player in a game where he resolved 3(!) ancestral visions. He had to spend too many cards 2-for-1ing himself for it to matter. Ended the topdeck war by throwing down Thrun off the top that he absolutely couldn't deal with. Game 2 he board in bribery for my thrun- I only know this because he looted an emrakul with nahiri and I surgicaled it. Triple voice of resurgence got there.

Played a long intense game against an affinity player where I was at 8 infect for probably 6 turns. Linvala shutting off ravager and overseer ultimately saved me but I got insanely lucky by drawing chump fliers off the top to block with instead of killing Linvala.

Took Brad Nelson out of the tournament. He was on jund and I eat jund for breakfast. He also took 21 damage across 2 games from dark confidant. I let the Bob kill him game 1.

I honestly feel like variance is what put me at 11-4. My first loss was to an affinity player where we had a 30 minute game 1. Game 2 I got mana screwed because 2 of my 4 lands were colorless and I only have 4 colorless lands in the deck. Never saw a mana dork and died with 2 rhinos in hand.

Second loss was to Eli Kassis. Game 1 he had redundant copies of the knight combo in hand. Game 2 he out valued me with a company into an eternal witness. Game was still somewhat close until I drew the first land and he kept drawing gas. Fair loss though.

Third loss was to grixis delver. This one was irritating because game 3 was completely winnable but out of my control- I had 3 lands within the first 5 turns and didn't see a 4th land in the next 15 turns. Died with 3 rhinos and a thrun in hand, with him at 5 life. I shuffled my deck about 30 times after that bullshit.

4th loss was in round 15 to blue moon featuring Thing in the Ice. Game 1 I didn't sniff the blood moon and auto-lost to it. Discarded a Scavenging Ooze to hand size and scooped before he saw more so he thought I was abzan company, which worked. Game 2 I won quickly with an aggressive start. Game 3 went almost to time and this one upsets me because I lost by misplaying. I genuinely feel like I played strong, smart magic all weekend until I think of this match and two back to back punts I made that kept me out of top 64. No one to blame but myself and he punished me. Even with my punts I was still in a winning position until it turned out he had 3 Snapcasters in hand. At one point in game 3 I surgicalled lightning bolt so that I could see if his hand was clear for me to go all in on a lingering souls/flashback souls. It was, and he topdecked anger. That plus the punts I made killed me. Nothing worse than losing to yourself.

Going back, I might swap the Gideon for a Wilt-Leaf Liege, which also tested well but I dropped it last minute for the Thrun. I boarded Gideon out more than any other card, although it was fine the few times I played it. Could also try Garruk Wildspeaker but I'm not 100% sold on it. Wouldn't change the sideboard. Deck loses terribly to tron but I dodged it all 15 rounds. Feels good against jund, burn, zoo. Feels even or good against nahiri jeskai, infect, affinity and abzan company. Had a great time overall and plan to keep playing the deck.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 24, 2016

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
This the right place to discuss "budget" jank Legacy decks I am building?

Mono-Green control:

2x Acidic Slime
1x Beacon of Creation
1x Biorhythm
3x City of Solitude
2x Dryad Arbor
2x Elvish Mystic
2x Eternal Witness
2x Garruk Wildspeaker
2x Ghost Quarter
1x Green Sun's Zenith
2x Kodama's Reach
2x Plow Under
4x Root Maze
1x Rude Awakening
2x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1x Smokestack
1x Sylvan Library
2x Tangle Wire
3x Thermokarst
2x Trinisphere
2x Umbilicus
2x Tinder Wall
1x Deranged Hermit
17x Forest

SB:
3x Hidden Herd
3x Bind
whole lot of other options I haven't tried yet:
Avoid Fate
Dosan
some spirit guides would probably go main and move soemthing else here.

Any thoughts on odd ball greenies that don't see a ton of play that might be fun/interesting in a non-pure LD stacks shell?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Yo wheres the choke?

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Don't own any yet, it is one of my options I am eye-balling. This is built out of stuff I had on hand (minus the cities of solitude which I need to pick up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mr.Booger posted:

The Patrick Sullivan Special

The closest thing I can think of to what you are doing that actually worked was the Sylvan Plug deck that international treasure and cool dude Lejay came up with during the reign of Treasure Cruise and then later Dig Through Time. You can read about it here

• Locked thread