Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:
Why do people wear ties? It's weird if you approach it from a context-less point of view. However we all know that ties represent culturally a certain level of "class" or professionalism because we grew up in an environment that has respectful people wearing ties.

Founding Father worship is an American version of a generic "conservative" (in the general sense) theme, using people before you in history as better people who you should follow because they know best. In the UK, people will talk about Winston Churchill's greatness even though he was awful at anything except writing speeches. What The Founding Fathers Would Do If They Were Alive Right Now is a narrative which is generally deployed by the populist right wing, who just happen to also define what the FF's would do. It always seems to coincide with their previously held beliefs in that area, I wonder why? It doesn't have much to do with a proper historical analysis of the people of the time and trying to do the very hard counter-factual of what they would genuinely believe if they managed to go through a time machine, it's just deploying the commonly accepted, self-defined version. From the point of view of the political community that already agrees on both what the Founding Fathers would do and that you should do what they would do, if you agree you are the correct sort of person and if you disagree you aren't. Since you should only be listened to if you are correct (you should only do what is correct, right?), this proves that you should publicly agree. If everyone on your side publicly agrees on something, three things can happen. Either you end up either truly believing it, or you start accepting that it's just one of those things that your side believes. You know it is wrong but you just go along with it because its easier and you gain little from publicly going against it. You could try changing the belief of your entire movement, but that's extremely risky and might not have a real payoff anyway if the point is getting support.

People much smarter and hard working than me would have actually studied this area so this might be all rubbish, but it may have come about from the liberal movement's reliance on better decision making in the past (e.g. English liberals using the Magna Carta and the unwritten constitution), and the heavy use of classical focused education which ends up drawing a lot from the late Roman Republic. This is probably why it's in public education (so even the American center and left can believe or deploy it in a less extreme form), but it has evolved over time with mass media right-wing populism to get the dumb version you have today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

KelJu posted:

Most people wear ties because they are forced to. I don't think it has anything to do with professionalism or class. I think it is more about proving that you are willing to wear some stupid and useless piece of fabric around your neck that serves to other purpose than to signify that you are a whore, and you will do whatever your cooperate masters tell you to do if you want to have financial security in your life.

Sorry, I know this seems a little "wtf", but I hate ties and what they represent to me more than anything on the planet. I will loving die before I ever wear a tie again. In my mind, a tie is a slave collar, and to make it worse, I willingly put in on.

I'm using professionalism and class in a neutral way that you read it

• Locked thread