Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Install Windows posted:

Yet the amount of text that remains unamended in the Constitution is actually quite large! And out of thousands of serious proposals to amend, only 27 have passed successfully.

'Get rid of the Constitution' sounds like really terrible politics, not just because of the optics but upending law and order at large definitely will not have unintended consequences and will lead to workers' paradise right?

edit: brunch phone posting that isnt really meant as a direct response to above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You may need remedial classes. :shrug: That article is actually very relevant to the discussion, raising the question of why does the left also cling to a dated set of rules that goes against their ideals.

(Because we don't have a significant number of leftists in office, just Reaganists.)

It describes the liberal left as just as being complicit in constitution worship as the right, which is wrong, unless you've been selectively ignoring discourse the past fifteen years about how problematic the electoral college, disproportionate seating of the Senate, gerrymandering, and other issues are. It's a dumb feel good piece.

You can derive how useful it is with the last paragraph talking about "leftists arguing for more expansionary monetary policy".

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Jefferson is also an actual Very Bad Person unless you think raping women is somehow just ~chalked up to the times~ and can be excused. He's also kind of a shitlord intellectually.

Which makes it funny to see right wingers invoke him for their quasi-theocratic America because if there was anything he was remotely on the ball with it was that would not be a good thing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Last Buffalo posted:

I wouldn't say he's a good person, I just don't think you need to write off his work because of it.

Calling someone who was born and raised in a slaveholding society and kept holding slaves an awful person doesn't mean much. It's a calming black and white way to look at history, but it doesn't help you understand anything better and doesn't help otherwise. Founding myths are dumb, i guess :shrug:

It's not like society at the time were lockstep behind slavery, it was one of the defining issues on what to do about it for the entire antebellum period of American history.

Sucrose posted:

I addressed this upthread. Yes, many of the other founding fathers owned slaves. But some of them freed those slaves. I don't give George Washington a lot of slack, he owned slaves his entire life, but he at least did slightly better than Jefferson by freeing them upon his death, and not selling or buying any more slaves after the 1770s. Jefferson couldn't even do that, wouldn't even free them after he would no longer derive any benefit from them. Oh, and of other founding fathers, Franklin and John Jay freed their slaves (during their lifetimes), Hamilton never owned slaves, and those three were active in anti-slavery societies. Jefferson probably lived during a Southern political climate that was more open to the idea of abolition than at any other time before the civil war, and he continued to own slaves, treat them brutally, and even, as has been mentioned upthread, tried to dissuade men of his exact same region and social class from from freeing their own slaves. There's no real excuse for him.

Yes, Jefferson does and should get a lot of credit for the separation of church and state stuff, but he was an awful person.

Besides, if everyone had just listened to Hamilton from the get go it probably would have saved America a good hundred plus years of clumsily pawing towards our modern system.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

SedanChair posted:

Even Hitler built the Autobahn. Plenty of Nazis saw themselves as good people. Godwin has his place, but I don't see why it's ridiculous on its face to say that chattel slavery ranks with the Holocaust and its proponents were personally the height of evil.

Not even that, Jefferson being the architect of Indian Removal pretty much ranks him as up there one of the grand villains in the scheme of North American history.

Or put another way, guess what was one of the inspirations for Generalplan Ost? :godwin:

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 21, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pauline Kael posted:

Do you think talking about the death of tens of millions of Native Americans is appropriate for 2nd graders?

Why shouldn't we talk about this?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pauline Kael posted:

Because it's inappropriate material for 2nd graders. Sorry if you don't get this, I hope you're not responsible for any 2nd graders. Perhaps you advocate the teaching of Calculus to them too,

I'm not suggesting dragging out haunting heliotype prints of decaying and stricken native american corpses on the plains.

We can just as easily do things as not rely on whitewashed myths of American history like Columbus was swell, Anything About Pilgrims, Old West, etc. History learned in childhood can be incredibly pervasive in a person's life so we should at least not be perpetuating stuff we already know is wrong.

Also did we just have someone say, "native americans killed my great great great grandfather, so they weren't systematically murdered" what the hell.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pauline Kael posted:

I'm certainly not justifying it! We've moved a long way from the original point, but simply put, there was nothing *uniquely* evil about early America, no matter how much Sedan and friends want it to be so.

American chattel slavery and the whole white supremacist push to cleanse (not conquer but outright remove for specifically white settlement) the continent of indigenous populations as a whole are somewhat peculiarly uncommon in the grand scheme of history though.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Nessus posted:

The institution of chattel slavery in the American South (and a lot of the Americas by extension) was kind of uniquely awful compared to Roman slavery, being a thrall in Norse Europe, serfdom, corvee labor in Imperial China, etc. While there were certainly many elements in common and I am not somehow asserting that all those other things were "good," you usually had limited legal rights and privileges, in practice or in theory; alternately, your situation was at least bounded somehow... you had to work three months on the roads, yes, but then it ended. As a serf you had to work for your lord, but there were objective ways to gain freedom from those services, if difficult ones.

American chattel slavery did not do that; it defined a system of indentured service which happened to include some black people into a permanent, commodified caste system. What is more, the American Southerners drat well knew better - you could claim a Roman would have difficulty concieving of having no slaves whatever with some justice, I expect - and built up an ideological structure to defend their horrible system and try to turn it into some greater good, which we see in so many of the attested Confederate documents.

I am not sure I would even put Spanish chattel slavery in the same category as American. It was never as widespread and (if you were a Christian slave) you in theory had limited legal rights and protections. American slavery is fine tuned to subjugate Africans in ways that don't make sense for traditional slavery; such as proscriptions against education, no recourse for manumission ever, and the specific destruction of black families.

As to the question, "was this all inevitable?" it is worth pointing out that the Spanish colonies, while terrible on their own and suffered from disease just as much, still were able to cohabitate and exist instead of push for outright extermination like the American colonists.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pauline Kael posted:

This is the problem. I, and lots of other Americans, have family that were effected by the Holocaust. Literal blood relatives that got tossed in the ovens. You think it odd that something that's still in immediate memory for millions of Americans, horror caught on film for all to still see today, has a larger cultural effect than what happened 200+ years ago to a group that's pretty fundamentally out of the picture today? Are you dumb?

"My relatives died in the holocaust, now let me turn around and dismiss the experiences of native americans because I am not related to any/apparently believe they no longer exist (why this may be so is unimportant!)"

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 23, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pauline Kael posted:

You and the rest of the 2jivecrew missed the point. I wasn't comparing jews to Native Americans, I was comparing the number of holocaust museums to museums dedicated to the victims of that progressive reformer, Pol Pot.

No you weren't, you specifically mentioned "what happened 200+ years ago" meaning the beginning of Indian Removal. Are you just being purposefully disingenuous here?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Nessus posted:

Studying other trends, it kind of depends if the revolution fails or if it simply never gets round to happening.

If it fails it's possibly better, because it's likely that there would have been reprisals on the Southern colonies which would lead to the damaging of slavery, which in turn would likely have decayed yet further when the British abolished slavery. It does not seem likely that the British would execute hugely devastating reprisals on the colonies after winning the war, given the situation in Europe then current and the fact that you could make a good case that it was a relatively small portion.

This would lead to the 13 colonies being politically very similar to the Canadian colonies, which means you might have a super-Canada now. In the Southwest, Mexico might have done much better, and could be substantially larger, including much of the American west and the gulf coast. Mexico, for all its many faults, has not been very pro-slave in recent years, and it seems likely that what Britain did not break down, might have been broken down under the fashionable boot of Santa Anna.

Honestly this seems like a better outcome overall, though I suppose it's not impossible that you'd have gotten wildcat settlers or something filling up the area west of the Mississippi. Then again, perhaps with more time and the greater degree of British control, the Native nations could have formed confederacies and more robust political entities. You might have a north American which was Megacanada in the North/Northeast, Mexico in the south/southwest, perhaps a restless nucleus where the Southern states are now, and some Native states on the west coast.

Who knows? But this piece of fanfiction seems at least as plausible as 'warring balkanized states, no anglophonic North American colossus to do the various blessings of America in the 20th century'.

A hypothetical altreality where Britain ends the revolution and never goes further West than the Mississippi would probably result with Mexico as a reigning super power, with ports to both oceans, sizeable population, good climate, and bounty of natural resources. It'd depend on how stable the government could be in the long run but it would be very favorable.

Britain would likely have to wage a second war against the colonists (as in real life) to put down the slaveocracy, but as a part of the greater British Empire I think you'd see less drive to push into the West and you wouldnt have Jefferson's "every man a yeoman king" mentality pushing people out west probably. I could see North America being overall weaker as it continues its status as proxy battleground for the European powers, which means the tribes are still a necessity to placate politically and that you don't see France selling half the continent off.

Spain probably just still crawls into a corner and dies, but independent Mexico less likely to be an likely target of European powers.

Basically a much more divided politically and linguistically North America with slavery ending a lot sooner.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Amused to Death posted:

Mexico already has three of these things(maybe not a bounty compared to the US, but at least more than many nations, namely oil and silver come to mind).

Right, but the Mexican-American war saw Mexico losing almost half of the country (and ended up being some of the most resource rich parts) Mexico with the resources of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California is a lot different than modern Mexico.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

You do realize that there are almost as many Native Americans (a people fundamentally out of the picture according to you!) as American Jews?

I don't know where you get this idea that Native Americans are not a real part of American culture or society as countless foods, words, names for places/cities/states, the land come from Natives. If you are anywhere in the West land rights/use, water, etc. between tribal governments and US governments are still big issues to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Generic Tea Party member running for Congress who doesn't even sleep if he doesn't have his pocket constitution pressed against his breast would like to disagree, unfortunately.

• Locked thread