Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Zero VGS posted:

One other thing, situate the blunt wall of the teardrop as close as you possibly can to the rear of the Prius and still be able to maneuver; it apparently makes a significant difference on drag:

You can also use coroplast or corrugated polycarbonate (you can get that at Home Depot, it's used for greenhouses, and is transparent as opposed to coroplast) to make a kammback for the rear of the Prius to help close the gap.

If you used 3M VHB tape with the proper primer and a lot of surface area, it'd practically weld the coroplast to the car, and it'd put up with highway speeds, though you might want to rivet on a couple eyelets and tie it with Dyneema line just to make sure it doesn't fly off and hit someone.

You are for sure my kind of efficiency nerd. Yeah, I'm def keeping a close eye on aerodynamics, and I have one possible design that folds down to a package that continues the Prius's lines, so it should fit in the airstream pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Teardrop project commences!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Please do a full build thread

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

2nded. I doubt I would ever do that but I would enjoy reading about it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Is that built onto the harbor freight folding 4x8? I'm about to buy one just to use as a trailer behind my wrangler - what do you think of it?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Anyone have any opinions on this?

1985 Winnebago Lesharo

Wouldn't hate to pick it up for like $3,500 and put a few grand into it but would hate to be stuck with something that needs 10k+, if that's typically what they need in work. Kind of cool looking van though!

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/rvs/6131224499.html

Still madly in love with the GMC Motorhome, though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Anyone have any opinions on this?

1985 Winnebago Lesharo

Wouldn't hate to pick it up for like $3,500 and put a few grand into it but would hate to be stuck with something that needs 10k+, if that's typically what they need in work. Kind of cool looking van though!

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/rvs/6131224499.html

Still madly in love with the GMC Motorhome, though.

$4000-ish for an as-is 1985 anything is a risky endeavor. I would at the very least inspect the gently caress out of it, as in pay both a home inspector and a mechanic to look everything over... at over 100k miles that thing is gonna be a money pit.

It's in Gloucester, so pay special attention for leaks, mold, saltwater damage, and cracked roofing from snow piling on it.

The AC alone will run you $2000 to fix... the guy says the transmission is going so good luck with that one too...

Edit:

If you wanna have a nice camper without having to risk drivetrain issues, there's a dealer who sells used Trailmanors in Yarmouth, MA within your budget: https://capecod.craigslist.org/rvd/6140328909.html

I've been to her before to check them out; and you might consider one. Pretty much any normal car like a sedan can tow these, they are light and when folded have great aerodynamics. Then you pop them out and they are larger than the Winnebago. The dealer is nice and I would have got one except my daily driver is an electric smart car... pretty much the only car that can't handle one of these. They depreciate less than any other trailer as well, you can always put it back on CL for a grand less.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 23, 2017

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Definitely going to pass on it but thank you

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Astonishing Wang posted:

Is that built onto the harbor freight folding 4x8? I'm about to buy one just to use as a trailer behind my wrangler - what do you think of it?

We're actually building it freestanding but able to bolt to the ol HF when it's not in the back of the truck. The HF is cheap and decent, but when I have time I'm gonna weld all the joints because I poo poo you not there's like 40 lbs of crap Chinese bolts holding that thing together. Also def pack some good grease into those bearings asap.

Edit: gonna start a thread when I can, got that fucker skinned w sheet aluminum and the floor in already.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 1, 2017

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Chopsy posted:

We're actually building it freestanding but able to bolt to the ol HF when it's not in the back of the truck. The HF is cheap and decent, but when I have time I'm gonna weld all the joints because I poo poo you not there's like 40 lbs of crap Chinese bolts holding that thing together. Also def pack some good grease into those bearings asap.

Edit: gonna start a thread when I can, got that fucker skinned w sheet aluminum and the floor in already.

I put mine together and hauled it 500 miles so far. I agree on the welding, that's on the list for this thing! It tows really well so far, but is definitely better with some weight in it. I was towing in through Baja while empty and it was pretty bouncy. Adding all of my tools and the spare tire to the front of the trailer helped immensely with the bouncing.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I don't feel like putting it on eBay, but if anyone wants a 1979 Vanagon Westfalia sink and faucet combo, they're all yours for shipping. The faucet will pull from at least 4 feet of head, and the sink has a built-in p-trap kinda deal. I lost the sink strainer :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Pic?

Also came home last night to a house that smelled like rotten eggs. I'm the worst adult because the first thing I thought of wasn't a gas leak, but a possible boiling over battery from my VW bus.

Yep, one of the less-than-2-year-old yellow top optimas was bulging. I have the bus on a tender (well, shore power with a vanner charger/inverter set to agm) 100% of the time.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Pic?

Also came home last night to a house that smelled like rotten eggs. I'm the worst adult because the first thing I thought of wasn't a gas leak, but a possible boiling over battery from my VW bus.

Yep, one of the less-than-2-year-old yellow top optimas was bulging. I have the bus on a tender (well, shore power with a vanner charger/inverter set to agm) 100% of the time.

Could have been worse, the inside of my van got an hour of so of sulphuric steam soaking in, took about a month for the smell to go fully even after cleaning all the upholstery and linings. Definitely looking into a sealed/externally vented battery box at some point.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

At what money level do RVs stop being decade of mechanic experience required horror movie acid death trap bombs and turn into driving appliances you never have to think about?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
75% of retail

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lol, my FIL just bought a toy hauler so I just became aware of this.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

sink
13"x10.75" top flange
11.125"x9.75" inside
4" deep
3.75" from bottom of sink to p-trap
3/4" drain barb fitting

faucet
3.5" between mounting holes
8.375" height
4.375" below flange to barb fitting
5/16" barb fitting

Probably really all metric but :911:

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

:catstare: I think it'll be fine.

It's hilarious the numbers these things are putting down. My parents run a 2014 Tiffin Phaeton with a Cummins ISL 450/1250 motor. As a guy approaching that with a tune on my LMM Duramax, I always wondered what kind of tunes existed for the big bus motors.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

It's hilarious the numbers these things are putting down. My parents run a 2014 Tiffin Phaeton with a Cummins ISL 450/1250 motor. As a guy approaching that with a tune on my LMM Duramax, I always wondered what kind of tunes existed for the big bus motors.

Banks, et. al. make kits for ISL engines. They can easily make a couple hundred more horsepower and torques, but then they start grenading the transmissions. The Allison 3000s are only rated to 1250 or so and Cummins already limits torque to spare them. An Allison 400 is good to 1900ish ft-lbs, so there's some headroom.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

wallaka posted:

Banks, et. al. make kits for ISL engines. They can easily make a couple hundred more horsepower and torques, but then they start grenading the transmissions. The Allison 3000s are only rated to 1250 or so and Cummins already limits torque to spare them. An Allison 400 is good to 1900ish ft-lbs, so there's some headroom.

Interesting! Makes sense that the trans is the limit. Without an ATS or similar I don't dare turn the wick up any further on my dually.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Guy in my area looking to sell this. Asking $1500, but I haven't offered lower but I bet he'd take less. What do you guys think?

http://imgur.com/a/tbitY

Jayco pop-up camper, early 90s looks like

e: after looking around, that's proabably too much by about half. It may be a decent deal at 800, depending on current condition

CloFan fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 17, 2017

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When you've hauled 145,000lbs super-b's up and down the coquihala for years (550 Cummins 19km/h on the hills), a motorhome or pulling a heavy travel trailer without a tuned diesel still feels like a rocket ship.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ask me about extracting broken off manifold bolts from an aluminum Hemi head while still in the truck.

Had to pull manifold, jack motor up 5", then tried reverse drill bit but the bolts were way too hard, flux welded a nut to the bolt shaft but it was too far in so the gas kept pushing the weld out.

Finally got father in law to bring his welding rig out, his huge self powered diesel Lincoln stick structural welder was able to weld the nuts enough to turn them out.

Was able to remove the bolts by hand, which means they didn't sieze up, they sheared off.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

This thread makes me feel so boring in my stock 23' travel trailer (which isn't even listed as a valid type in the OP) being towed by a new diesel truck. I'm not worthy of all of these custom projects that others have done.

Out of curiosity, is there a thread for the actual act of RV traveling? I work remotely, and I'm planning a 6 week road trip next year with our 3 year old and 1 year old in tow. Both of them started camping as newborns, but the longest trip we've done so far is a week at one campsite in the local area.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fryhtaning posted:

This thread makes me feel so boring in my stock 23' travel trailer (which isn't even listed as a valid type in the OP) being towed by a new diesel truck. I'm not worthy of all of these custom projects that others have done.

Out of curiosity, is there a thread for the actual act of RV traveling? I work remotely, and I'm planning a 6 week road trip next year with our 3 year old and 1 year old in tow. Both of them started camping as newborns, but the longest trip we've done so far is a week at one campsite in the local area.

I haven't seen any threads for that but feel free to post a travel log here. Are you just going from campsite to campsite or are you doing some other stuff like national parks / boondocking?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I haven't seen any threads for that but feel free to post a travel log here. Are you just going from campsite to campsite or are you doing some other stuff like national parks / boondocking?

Yes :v:

The plan is to work from East TN to the west coast for a couple of weekends - one for my grandma's 90th birthday and one to go to a couple of Spring Training games in Phoenix. My friends and I used to go to Spring Training every year when I lived in CA, so we've been looking for another excuse to head out that way. Both are in March so that works out well to combine into one trip.

Generally we're going to work from campsite to campsite during the week - around 100-300 miles in the late afternoon/evening - since we have young kids and since I'll be working during the day, and then stay 2-3 days around the weekends around Nat'l Parks that are in en route. I'll probably take 2 or 3 Fridays off along the way. Thinking working through AL and MS to New Orleans and a couple Nat'l Monuments in north Louisiana on the first weekend, suffer across Texas, next weekend at Carlsbad, a couple nights in Saguaro, the couple of weeks on the west coast, then take the northern I-40 route home through Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, and Hot Springs.

Course this is all speculation at this point. Goonwife may look at the itinerary and :stare: the whole idea back to the drawing board.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don't worry dude I have a 26' trailer I'm towing out for some camping tomorrow. Custom is cool but so is Glamping. I used to love minimal camping out of my jeep but I'm 36 now and just love bringing a trailer out and chilling with air conditioning, heater, hot water and a shower before bed every night.

I do plan on doing some minimalist camping in this soon though.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
I love this guys videos, it's ugly and insane redneck stuff but he's actually got a great mind for engineering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgimTht-vV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lirR8lur-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9H_8_adLHk

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just saw one of these today with a couple motorcycles on racks on the back. Pretty sure they're worth about a 1/2 million out the door.

http://globalxvehicles.com/safari-extreme/safari-extreme-on-unimog-u-500-81/

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are those us road legal?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I believe so. There are a couple of them in my area of town actually. I typically have seen them parked but I think I have once seen one moving. I imagine gas is pretty expensive for them.

E: just to clarify, I have seen a couple different Unimogs around here, not RV kitted ones.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Are those us road legal?

Yes. Case and Freightliner have both sold them in the US. However this unit was likely traveling up through the Yukon/Alaska/Siberia. In Grande Prairie we are a hub for a lot of overland long distance travelers. Helped out a similiar range Rover camperized the other day. Or land rover. Whichever is the discovery.

Also we get probably a dozen or more motorcycles doing the Alaska hwy every day. Funny because Jasper to Grande Prairie is a horrible road for a motorcycle. It's all large energy industry trucks coming from gravel roads tossing rocks and pot holes and frost heaves.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

jonathan posted:

Also we get probably a dozen or more motorcycles doing the Alaska hwy every day. Funny because Jasper to Grande Prairie is a horrible road for a motorcycle. It's all large energy industry trucks coming from gravel roads tossing rocks and pot holes and frost heaves.

I've driven between the states and AK like 6-7 times and twice on a bike now. Taking 40 down from GP to Jasper isn't great, but it's a means to and end - the reward of Jasper and Banff is way worth it. That being said I ride it on an R1200GS Adventure, I wonder what kind of time Harley guys have in similar conditions.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
So the wife and I both turn 50 this year and agreed that our present would be a trailer camper and the truck to pull it with. Yesterday I snagged the second part, a 2007 F150 FX4, and now to figure out the most reasonable tow capacity and research the camper. We are literally in the mountains of Utah and to get anywhere at all will start out with a long grade up or down.

Exciting year.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've no idea of the tow rating on that but wouldn't it have been better to get the camper you want then the rig that can pull it?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've no idea of the tow rating on that but wouldn't it have been better to get the camper you want then the rig that can pull it?

It's near the top tow rating of F150s. Anything more than that would be diesel which would be a lot more cash. It's around 8000 tow capacity, well within what we had previously been looking at. I think a 21 footer or so will be fine for us until retirement where we'll really splurge if we enjoy it enough, gooseneck or class A. The camper lifestyle, not the retirement age.

*There are plenty of other manufacturers, but I am familiar with Ford so...

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Fog Tripper posted:

It's near the top tow rating of F150s. Anything more than that would be diesel which would be a lot more cash. It's around 8000 tow capacity, well within what we had previously been looking at. I think a 21 footer or so will be fine for us until retirement where we'll really splurge if we enjoy it enough, gooseneck or class A. The camper lifestyle, not the retirement age.

*There are plenty of other manufacturers, but I am familiar with Ford so...

I pull a 30' toy hauler with a diesel dually, and only because it's an older trailer that's like 6500 empty and a 1500# tongue weight. We saw a lot of rigs between AK and NC on our trip last summer and there are a TON of super light, really nice options that are well within an 8k tow capacity. Someone camped next to us in Zion pulling some really nice ultralight 24'er with a Toyota Highlander, and they had started out in southern Florida, so a late-model F150 ought to be more than enough!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I pull a 30' toy hauler with a diesel dually, and only because it's an older trailer that's like 6500 empty and a 1500# tongue weight. We saw a lot of rigs between AK and NC on our trip last summer and there are a TON of super light, really nice options that are well within an 8k tow capacity. Someone camped next to us in Zion pulling some really nice ultralight 24'er with a Toyota Highlander, and they had started out in southern Florida, so a late-model F150 ought to be more than enough!

Folks I have chatted with say I should be fine with the towing, it's the stopping that is of importance. Will have to research the brake controllers. It has the stock tow package - receiver, tranny cooler and such. The F4X also has the 3.73 gears.

Yeah it should serve us well. Once we start looking at bigger, we'll likely trade up for a F250 or so and a 5th wheel.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 14, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Ford has offered OEM trailer brake controllers for a while, I don't recall if they were doing that by 2007 but if so that's probably a good bet. My Dad seems to like his '14 with the 5.0, but he's only pulling a midsize Airstream which I'm pretty sure is on the lighter end of the spectrum.

Do the 3V 5.4s still like to eject their spark plugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My neighbor has a 27' hi lo. Try to get one. You save all the fuel. I just pulled from Kamloops to Penticton for a wine tour. 33L/100km. Uhg, I need a Hi Lo.

http://www.hilotrailer.com/home

• Locked thread