Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Jonny 290 posted:

Hell yeah, tear all that poo poo out. Lots of work ahead but it's going to be great.
Since you're ripping out so much I'd strongly think to nuke and redo as much of the infrastructure as you can with modern materials. GFCI protection (if redoing the 110V - DEFINITELY rip that surface mount poo poo out no matter what) and add anything else in that you think you might want.

The 110V stuff looks pretty drat solid actually. I'm removing the wiring I'm not going to want in the future but other than that, It looks pretty good. Now that you mention it, though I might throw some plastic conduit over the remaining electrical.

The brake light wiring on the other hand looks like a hot ball of poo poo. I'll be cleaning that up when I reinstall them.

With my mom's help, I cleaned up the kitchen counter/stove bits.

Lots of poo poo was torn out in today's demo.

I sanded and herculined the tongue a bit.

I removed the rest of the rear wall and the window/spare tire hatch. I then marked and cut the brake light wiring and removed the brake lights.

There were some squatters that had to be evicted (carpenter ants) from the plywood in the back.

:awesomelon:

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Helped my mate install his roof top tent to a rack on the back of his Hilux yesterday. That was a ball of fun. Nothing like trying to lift a 60kg tent above your heads!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yay An RV/Camper thread. Going to look at a few newer tow rigs. Liquidated my old stuff awhile back:

Recipe for new camping setup so far:

-2011 Ram 2500 CrewCab/Longbox (Should be picking it up early this week)

-Used Slide-in-Box style Camper. Budgeting around $5000 for one of these. Hoping to get one with slideouts, year 2000 or newer. These fuckers hold their value well though. Nice ones a few years old are still fetching over $30,000. Eventually I will probably buy a shorter toy hauler camping trailer. Perhaps a Rubicon 1905 or a Jayco Octane. Then one ATV can go in it and one can go in the Pickup box. I just don't like the idea of navigating some of the roads I go on with a thin skinned camper trailer.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trailer-campler/edmonton/1999-shadow-cruiser/603535410?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

-A friend gave me a nice snowmobile open haul trailer. It's large enough to fit 3 atv's if you park them sideways. It's a single axle no brakes, but since I will be pulling 3000lb of ATV's plus fuel and gear, I'm going to install electric brakes on the existing axle, and add a second axle. The frame already has the holes and double sheer plating for a second set of spring mounts and shackles. Rockwell trailer axles are dirt cheap and so are the brake kits. I might use this opportunity to install shocks on the axles as well for a more controlled ride, and maybe a load distributing hitch.

ATV's are a CF moto Snyper (Chinese sport side by side for family and friends)
http://www.cfmoto.ca/en/snyper800-eng.html and an Arctic Cat Wildcat desert runner type side by side.

Oh, funny story. The area I live in is kind of oil-rich. I was camping south of town and watch the river boats launch for testing for the upcoming river boat "rat race" event. It's pretty impressive to see some of the campers out here. 40' campers with 4 slide outs, outdoor kitchen slideouts, built in Fuel stations for the atv's and sleds. The boats were pretty cool too. One guy blew up his turbine engine powered river boat. With a cool smug look he said he was expecting it to let go soon, and the rebuild will set him back a little over $300,000.

Another family flew in and landed next to our campsite in a private helicopter. Not some lovely Mash one, a full on custom paint job one that looked like Airwolf.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 30, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How is your typical :btroll: American supposed to fit through THAT?

:v:

Should be a fun project though.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah, the doors on classic campers are a bit narrow. I'm not :btroll: anymore, but I'm not exactly skinny (exactly 6' tall, weighed 260 at my heaviest, down to 185-190) and I barely fit through the door on our 74 Scotty not because of my rear end, but because of my shoulders.

Our door is similarly beat up and the core was rotten down at the bottom, so I'm going to follow some directions I found and recore the door myself. Ours is torn down to the floor and frame now. The floor will be coming off this week and then I'll attack the frame with a flap disk on the angle grinder to clean off some of the old undercoating and the little surface rust present, and paint it with some Herculiner. Then I get to dig into the brakes and get them in working order.

After the frame is in good shape, here's my list of poo poo to do:

- replace most of the gaskets on the windows
- recore the door
- cut new plywood for the floor and sides
- strip and repaint the skins
- get replacement metal for the roof because there was a hole cut for a vent we won't be using and it was made from 3 pieces of aluminum and I want to eliminate all the seams I can.

Once all of that is ready to go, we'll get my sister-in-law to come down for the weekend to keep the kids out of our hair and get the whole thing reassembled and dried in. It'll be an empty shell at that point, so we'll still have to do the detail work of building cabinets and benches and wiring the whole thing.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
You're definitely doing a lot more at once than I am. I'm planning on fixing and using bits as I go. I think I can get a year of use before i strip the side walls off and repair them.

I did rough work of cutting the floor for the cubbyspace under the bed and the rear frame today.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

new floor started. I picked up some 1/4" fanfold underlayment insulation to replace the yellow fiberglass that was in the wall.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 5, 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Getting through the insanely work intensive cabinet painting process.

Also, check out our wifi leechin' setup:

the sodium streetlamp gives it a rather FBI Surveillance Van vibe

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

some texas redneck posted:

How is your typical :btroll: American supposed to fit through THAT?

:v:

Should be a fun project though.

It's easy! You just take one of these, fit it with a stick of butter rather than soap, mount it next to the door and grease yourself up when you want to get in!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Is that Wifi setup directional and do you have a method to rotate it?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

revmoo posted:

Is that Wifi setup directional and do you have a method to rotate it?

Yeah, it's got about an 8 dBi internal antenna. It's not an omnidirectional antenna, but it's not super-focused either - basically about a pie slice or so. The pole slides up and then twistlocks into position wherever you point it. There's a signal strength LED bar on the back of the AP OR you can put it in a 'signal finder' mode where the actual AP emits a little tone that goes up and down proportional to signal strength, if you can't see the LEDs.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, it's got about an 8 dBi internal antenna. It's not an omnidirectional antenna, but it's not super-focused either - basically about a pie slice or so. The pole slides up and then twistlocks into position wherever you point it. There's a signal strength LED bar on the back of the AP OR you can put it in a 'signal finder' mode where the actual AP emits a little tone that goes up and down proportional to signal strength, if you can't see the LEDs.

That's pretty loving awesome and I feel like I need to know more about this. There are wifi sources near where I'll be going but getting a strong signal might be tricky without a cool antenna.

So I got a lot done on my 3 day weekend.

SteakFlavoredGum visited and we worked on completely resealing my wall seams.

Afterwards, we herculined the roof as a measure of toughening it up and covering it. If the dark color causes the camper to be too hot, I'll paint it a lighter color.

Then I (mostly) painted it. I'm not sure how those hubcaps come off.

This is where I ran out of paint today. :v:

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 9, 2014

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I want this so bad! http://youtu.be/-BNMvBnm14o

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yay my new tow/haul rig.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

I'm getting some ideas for the ceiling over the bed. The rigid insulation has been working well and doesn't take up a lot more space than the yellow fiberglass did.

Could stand to be a few inches taller.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 13, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Warning: this might make some jealous.

My dad just picked this up at auction for $4000. 94 pace arrow 33 footer.

33 foot, interior is clean as hell. Has a 7000 watt generator with 400 hours on it and brand new tires all around. The best part:

Banks power pack on a chevy 454, basically ram air in-take, headers, and 4 inch exhaust. Adds 79hp, 96 ft/lbs and 20% fuel economy.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

:stare:

Holy poo poo, that's an amazing price. How many KMs on it?

(also, look for signs of mice around the firewall and engine hump, they love to climb up there)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

101,000 kms, so No signs of mice anywhere.

And all 3 air conditioners work!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Powershift posted:

101,000 kms, so No signs of mice anywhere.

And all 3 air conditioners work!

3 AC units? Sounds like a Snowbird Special.

Wonder if that Banks would work on my pickup.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

My dad just picked this up at auction for $4000. 94 pace arrow 33 footer.

"Jealous" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this. Aside from the headlamp housings, it looks loving mint.

Out of curiousity, since it's a Chevy gasser, what transmission do they put in those? A built 700R4? Something more like an Allison? I can't see your standard van chassis transmission holding up to that weight for more than a month. For that matter, is it even EFI, or carb?

(total RV noobie here)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 13, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's TBI and uses a th475 trans.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

"Jealous" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this. Aside from the headlamp housings, it looks loving mint.

Out of curiousity, since it's a Chevy gasser, what transmission do they put in those? A built 700R4? Something more like an Allison? I can't see your standard van chassis transmission holding up to that weight for more than a month. For that matter, is it even EFI, or carb?

(total RV noobie here)

Yeah, other than the TH475 which is nothing more than a TH400 with a straight cut gearset for first, or so I've been told, it's pretty much the same engine/tranny/steeringwheel combo as a C3500+ of the same era.

Crazy isn't it?

I don't want to even guess how many feet per gallon that fucker gets though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

According to banks, the power pack in a similar sized RV does this.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

According to banks, the power pack in a similar sized RV does this.

I really need this kit for my 3500 then.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

Warning: this might make some jealous.
:monocle:

A guy couple flip that if nothing else.

drat good deal. Looks great. Senior that passed away and an estate disposal?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Jonny 290 posted:

I have manuals to scan/post and details to provide, but suffice to say that last night I read through the four inches of manuals the PO carefully preserved in a three-ring binder, and learned that my Mystery Lever is a "Decel-O-Matic" gas engine brake. Has butterflies on the exhaust pipes and an intake carb bypass. When you let off the gas, it closes the valves and bypasses air around the carb, to the extent that the big lever is pulled. This isn't just for hills - they advise to use it in stop-and-go, whenever you want to save your brakes basically. Max braking power on a 454 is about 30 PSI of backpressure.

In order to maintain this, they purchased the add-on "EZ-Oiler" system. This system is basically a solenoid and a tank full of MARVEL MYSTERY OIL - yes, they specify that in the book. To keep those exhaust butterflies flapping and your top end happy, they tell you at the end of the driving day to basically park, spray oil until, and I quote the manual, "significant smoke appears at tailpipes".

So those things explain the scary lever and about six of these switches and lights - there are various arming and enabling switches for both those systems.

This thing is so awesome.

Sounds like the most unnecessarily complex exhaust brake ever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Powershift hell yes :D I haven't seen the 33 floor plan, i like that angled bit in the kitchen.

As far as mileage on the class A gassers, my PO said his record was 9.3 on the way out to Cali, and averaged 7.5 to 8 (0.5 mpg makes a difference down at this end).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did my first camping trip with the new truck, and roughly 150km of dusty bumpy gravel road.

A couple annoying interior squeaks I'll need to address, and this drat exhaust leak. I put it over the grease pit at the shop and tried to locate the leak, but can't find it. No signs of soot on the exhaust either. Maybe it's just a blown motor, but it doesn't seem like it. Motor runs smooth, makes good oil pressure, doesn't overheat, and even at high rpm it doesn't make the noise. only under load.

On a side note, Jeep JK Rubicon is suffering electrical gremlins and a loving EVAP Charcoal cannister error. loving Dodge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Squeaks in a dodge interior? well i never.

If the truck has an exhaust brake, the turbo could be sooted all to gently caress. cycle your key on and off 3 times ending with it in the on position, and it should start spitting codes out at you. If a p22xx code comes up you've got a fun weekend ahead of you.

Update on the 4krv, it came with a binder of it's entire history. Originally sold in california, previous owner spent $7,000 5000 miles ago in phoenix arizona rebuilding the front suspension including control arms, air bags, brakes all around and new tires on the rear.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

To my shame, sometimes I tow a caravan, bane of all other road users.

I've had others, but this is the only photo I actually have of a van hooked up and in the wild. As an aside, the Tiguan is one of the best tow cars I've ever driven engine-wise; the TDI just doesn't give a poo poo you've got an additional ton and a half on the back of you, and even the MPG barely changes.

Interior shot

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

cynic posted:

To my shame, sometimes I tow a caravan, bane of all other road users.

Why is towing a camping trailer so frowned upon in the UK? In the US you see them all the time and no one gives a second glance.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeah, other than the TH475 which is nothing more than a TH400 with a straight cut gearset for first, or so I've been told, it's pretty much the same engine/tranny/steeringwheel combo as a C3500+ of the same era.

Crazy isn't it?

That's honestly pretty shocking. So no real differences in the transmission, aside from the TH475 difference? I'd at least hope it got a massive tranny cooler.

The TBI isn't that surprising, GM was still doing TBI well into the late 90s/early 00s on trucks, depending on engine.

cynic posted:

As an aside, the Tiguan is one of the best tow cars I've ever driven engine-wise; the TDI just doesn't give a poo poo you've got an additional ton and a half on the back of you, and even the MPG barely changes.

Because TDI.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

angryhampster posted:

Why is towing a camping trailer so frowned upon in the UK? In the US you see them all the time and no one gives a second glance.

An awful lot of our roads are single carriageway with little opportunity to overtake a caravan moving at 50mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgRXi2svWPU

Althought it does get a bit silly towards the end, this is surprisingly accurate.[EDIT: just realised that this clips misses all the traffic jam bits)

( cynic that is a nice caravan.)

spog fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 14, 2014

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

angryhampster posted:

People tow them behind tiny slow cars and hold up traffic. In the US there are very rarely split speed limits so you are free to do 75 MPH or whatever with the other traffic.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

cynic posted:

Interior shot

Looks very similar to the interior of my parent's motorhome.

After a while the catch on the fridge went and needs a folded up ticked shoved in it to stop the door flying open in transit so watch out for that

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Squeaks in a dodge interior? well i never.

If the truck has an exhaust brake, the turbo could be sooted all to gently caress. cycle your key on and off 3 times ending with it in the on position, and it should start spitting codes out at you. If a p22xx code comes up you've got a fun weekend ahead of you.

Its the 5.7 gas motor. I wanted cheap and simple.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I went to the store to get some wiring to splice into my trailer light harness and just ended up walking out with a brand new harness.

:3:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I let a family member borrow my Four Winds for a mountain trip. They're an hour and a half away and the slide out won't retract. :negative:

There goes my evening.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

spog posted:

An awful lot of our roads are single carriageway with little opportunity to overtake a caravan moving at 50mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgRXi2svWPU

Althought it does get a bit silly towards the end, this is surprisingly accurate.[EDIT: just realised that this clips misses all the traffic jam bits)

( cynic that is a nice caravan.)

Yeah, the first hour or so of most of our journeys involves 40-50 along narrow roads with nowhere to overtake. I always have a queue behind me by the time I hit motorway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

cynic posted:

I've had others, but this is the only photo I actually have of a van hooked up and in the wild. As an aside, the Tiguan is one of the best tow cars I've ever driven engine-wise; the TDI just doesn't give a poo poo you've got an additional ton and a half on the back of you, and even the MPG barely changes.

Interior shot

Wait, that's a 3000-pound trailer? My Volvo 940's rated to tow that much. :psyduck:

• Locked thread