Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

cynic posted:

Yeah, the first hour or so of most of our journeys involves 40-50 along narrow roads with nowhere to overtake. I always have a queue behind me by the time I hit motorway.

On the drive to my parents place (I'm in Aus so it's 5 or 6 hundred kilometers away) there's this lovely stretch of steep mountain road and a nice undulating road along the river. Always clogged with caravans and campers in the holidays and wrecks an interesting drive. Even the logging trucks are faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Yeah watching the nearly deads with higher horsepower engines than my big truck block me and driver slower on two lane blacktops always pisses me off. If *I* had 800 horsepower I wouldn't be loving the dog at 52mph in a 70 with my blinker on since Las Vegas.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Made it up to Helen to check out why the slide out wouldn't go in. An arduous troubleshooting session later and I found this. Sorry for the cellphone pics.

:stonk:
A fire of some sort has taken out all the 12v wiring between the chassis and the house. This isn't gonna be fun.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Made it up to Helen to check out why the slide out wouldn't go in. An arduous troubleshooting session later and I found this. Sorry for the cellphone pics.

:stonk:
A fire of some sort has taken out all the 12v wiring between the chassis and the house. This isn't gonna be fun.

Dear god, please tell me they didn't keep mashing the slide out button till magic smoke was released.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Camping at Uluru. It rained so we've got the full refugee camp tarp setup going!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ferremit posted:

Camping at Uluru. It rained so we've got the full refugee camp tarp setup going!

That looks fun as hell!

SuperDucky posted:

That does not!

when rewiring the hausbus i was so paranoid about shorts and phantom drains that I built a little rig to allow me to test unknown circuits, basically let me first put in a fuse to make sure it wasn't dead-shorting, then let me put my ammeter in line to see if it was going to draw juice unexpectedly. At least you get to do a proper rewire job, silver lining?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

InterceptorV8 posted:

Dear god, please tell me they didn't keep mashing the slide out button till magic smoke was released.
Np, but they did mention, "yeah, we came back one day to find smoke on the inside of the windows but we couldn't find a fire." They didn't think it was prudent to contact me at that point. :doh: :cry:

Jonny 290 posted:

That looks fun as hell!

That does not!

when rewiring the hausbus i was so paranoid about shorts and phantom drains that I built a little rig to allow me to test unknown circuits, basically let me first put in a fuse to make sure it wasn't dead-shorting, then let me put my ammeter in line to see if it was going to draw juice unexpectedly. At least you get to do a proper rewire job, silver lining?

I'm actually hoping the silver lining is buying this: :getin:
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/rvs/4547840840.html
(you've corrupted me, Jonny)

After thinking about it, I'm done loving with this piece of poo poo, specifically because of what you said: I'd be scared to burn to death in this thing if I didn't spend the next 6 months of afternoons rewiring it myself with better components. Warning to RV thread: do not buy Thor products. They are lowest bidder construction and utter poo poo in every respect. My insurance adjuster is coming out to see it today and if he can't make it spick and span for what its worth, he's gonna be cutting me a check.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bandman posted:

but I'd have to swap on 16" wheels and tires and swap in a 4.10 or 4.30 rear end to make up for the taller tire

You don't need to run a taller tire to run larger wheels, you just have less sidewall. That can lead to a harsher ride, but if you're currently on 15" wheels on a truck/SUV of any kind you have plenty of sidewall to spare and it'll probably handle a little bit better.

Tire Rack says 4Runner 15" tires are 225/75R15, so 225/70R16s would be 0.86% larger, or so little difference that at 70 MPH indicated (assuming the speedometer was perfect with the 15s) you'd be really going 70.6 MPH.

If you wanted to go up to 17" wheels 225/65R17s would be 1.72% larger, so the same 70 MPH indicated would be 71.2 MPH.

Since most non-German passenger vehicles I've driven seem to have the speedometer calibrated to read high I'd be willing to bet that you'd still be within the OEM margin of error with either of those.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

wolrah posted:

You don't need to run a taller tire to run larger wheels, you just have less sidewall. That can lead to a harsher ride, but if you're currently on 15" wheels on a truck/SUV of any kind you have plenty of sidewall to spare and it'll probably handle a little bit better.

Tire Rack says 4Runner 15" tires are 225/75R15, so 225/70R16s would be 0.86% larger, or so little difference that at 70 MPH indicated (assuming the speedometer was perfect with the 15s) you'd be really going 70.6 MPH.

If you wanted to go up to 17" wheels 225/65R17s would be 1.72% larger, so the same 70 MPH indicated would be 71.2 MPH.

Since most non-German passenger vehicles I've driven seem to have the speedometer calibrated to read high I'd be willing to bet that you'd still be within the OEM margin of error with either of those.

Yeah, we already swapped to a 235/75/15 because the tire selection in 225/75 is terrible, and the speedometer reads almost exactly my GPS-indicated speed. If I went to 16s to clear Tundra brakes and kept the total diameter the same, it would look like my truck was on stilts and that just won't do.

By the time the trailer is ready to roll, I'll probably just own my dad's truck since he can't drive anymore.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Of course if you DO go to 16" rims you can consider treadwrights as a tire option.

:getin:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Paint on the walls, put up a cornice, starting to feel good about the whole thang.

e: argh that paint spot

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Looked at Carbon, Hideout, Rubicon, Jayco, Sportster and a few others today.

Seems like a 19' (23' with tongue) toy hauler is about what I want. They have 14' of toy space inside, the couches and dining table fold up to the ceiling.

Also looked at the 19' trailers like the WolfPack which have a toy haul deck on the outside front, but they're 8x8' and upper payload is 1000lbs. That won't do as a sidebyside utv is more like 1200lbs and the one I'm interested in is 10' long.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Honest question: What's the advantage of a toy hauler when you have a 5-6' truck bed to use for hauling toys?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can haul stuff bigger than 5-6'

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

True, but I guess I'm thinking of the typical person that just takes a bike or quad. Maybe in those cases there isn't?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

It is easier to load/unload from a toy hauler as well.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
You can also have a 5th wheel toy hauler as well. The toy hauler can generally take a larger load than the bed of your truck + tongue weight of the trailer.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Aargh posted:

On the drive to my parents place (I'm in Aus so it's 5 or 6 hundred kilometers away) there's this lovely stretch of steep mountain road and a nice undulating road along the river. Always clogged with caravans and campers in the holidays and wrecks an interesting drive. Even the logging trucks are faster.

Yeah, the bad thing about towing with a relatively light car and a single axle caravan is the whole rocking thing on hilly roads, even a well loaded van can make your rear wheels lift a fair bit. It's dangerous and disconcerting and yeah, you drive slowly on roads like that. A heavier tow car and double axle is safer and you can actually drive faster. People underestimate how important loading is as well. I've actually seen a car & caravan belting down the motorway at 70, the caravan weaving, and the rear suspension compressed so hard that the front wheels were almost lifting.

I've always towed with diesels, and even with bigger capacity engines - I was just surprised at how little difference there is towing with a 2.0 TDI engine, compared to for instance the 2.2 TD4 in my wifes land rover, which definitely takes a more noticeable performance hit.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UCZF_UnG10#t=21

what?

slidebite posted:

True, but I guess I'm thinking of the typical person that just takes a bike or quad. Maybe in those cases there isn't?

think truggies

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Honest question: What's the advantage of a toy hauler when you have a 5-6' truck bed to use for hauling toys?

Yeah a shortbed truck will take a typical ATV, but if you're interested in something larger like a UTV or more than 1 ATV, a toy hauler is the answer.

I'm looking to get a used Polaris RZR S for my guests and family and an Arctic Cat Wildcat for myself and spouse, but it's 120" and won't fit my 8'2" truck bed.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TacoHavoc posted:

This thread makes me want an RV so bad. It wasn't even on my radar until I started reading...

Catching up on this thread and this was posted a long time ago, but this is so "me". Except its drat near every thread in AI. But this thread is so drat cool.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've located a pretty well regarded RV self-storage facility in Denver, so even if we get an apartment (which is kind of the way it's leaning, given my rad new permanent position) we can keep it in town for $70 a month, and the place is guarded, camera'd and open 24/7 so we can just pick it up and drop off as we please. So no matter what happens we'll be keeping her at least for a year!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My truck comes with 265/70/17 tires from the factory. Its got 285/75's on it right now. I want to sell those off and go for something stock diameter.

Is there any reason I can't go with a 245/75/17 ? Is there an even skinnier option provided I stay within the load rating ? As this is a highway and gravel road truck I don't see the need for a wide tire.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
This thing looks so awesome - does anyone in North America make anything remotely similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxvfDTaUVAo

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

neckbeard posted:

This thing looks so awesome - does anyone in North America make anything remotely similar?

Ho lee fuk. He just kept pulling out more and more awesome poo poo from that trailer. That video makes me want to buy a truck just so I can buy that trailer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

neckbeard posted:

Hey, hey, hey guy. Hey.

Hey.

Seventy seven thousand four hundred and ninety five dollars.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ho lee fuk. He just kept pulling out more and more awesome poo poo from that trailer. That video makes me want to buy a truck just so I can buy that trailer.

$77,495.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

^^^CRAP^^^

That's almost as much as my rig.

neckbeard posted:

That fukkin' dog lol.

God damned, I don't want to know how much that costs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

For $60,000 less, you can get this and not get murdered by mosquitos while you're trying to cook a hot dog.

$60,000 can buy a lot of interior furnishings and fuel.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

Hey, hey, hey guy. Hey.

Hey.

Seventy seven thousand four hundred and ninety five dollars.

$77,495.

Alright, buy a truck and then steal this trailer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Alright, buy a truck and then steal this trailer.

The Australians are absurdly easy-going about leaving their expensive camper trailers wherever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5iOFFKxWn4&t=169s

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Beginning the process of polishing the aluminum frames on all of the windows from the Scotty. I cleaned up the cargo access door (goes on the rear of the street-side wall) and that took me the better part of two hours. I experimented with several different methods, and I think either the Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish or the Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound worked best. The steel wool either removed the oxidation and left too many scratches or took for-goddamn-ever to remove any oxidation, depending on the grade of the steel wool. I'm gonna try out some sort of light abrasive pad or disc on a Dremel tool this weekend.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

For $60,000 less, you can get this and not get murdered by mosquitos while you're trying to cook a hot dog.

$60,000 can buy a lot of interior furnishings and fuel.

*Smug face

But I already have one of those... Just without the radio box.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I think that is a repair shop shelter box but yeah.

You could legitimately tow a car hauler or a decent sized camper behind that too :3:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandbagger SA posted:

I think that is a repair shop shelter box but yeah.

You could legitimately tow a car hauler or a decent sized camper behind that too :3:

Yeah they're weird. They're only rated for 2.5Ton offroad, yet on steelsoldiers.com ive read stories from vets where they say 10ton loads were common offroad.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Those military truck guys out in quesnel legit? I just found that page the other day too.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slung Blade posted:

Those military truck guys out in quesnel legit? I just found that page the other day too.

Caribou 6x6 or something ?

I have not dealt with them but I have driven by several times. They usually have a few models on display. I don't know ifvtheyre the Canadian bombardier units or the genuine AM General units.

I know of a 5ton wrecker on 54" Michelin XML's for sale just north of Grande Prairie as well.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

jonathan posted:

Yeah they're weird. They're only rated for 2.5Ton offroad, yet on steelsoldiers.com ive read stories from vets where they say 10ton loads were common offroad.

The rating may come from a certain level of anticipated miring as that drastically decreases tow capacity.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandbagger SA posted:

The rating may come from a certain level of anticipated miring as that drastically decreases tow capacity.

Yeah, as mine is a weird frankenstein hybrid of Bombardier M35 and Japanese Hino, The GVRW and VIN are from the Hino, which is rated much higher than what the Canadian M35a2 is. I don't know what the GCVWR is for towing.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Well got a layer of paint on the passion wagon. It needs another but considering it was not prepped I am quite happy.

http://i.imgur.com/NZzmSbz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ED5DDUd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aRf8WDP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AfY9WDz.jpg

The back looks poo poo but oh so much better than before!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
sand it down and put on another coat of paint.

So my camper is a good 2ish inches lower than my fixed tow hitch and I want to raise it up so that it sits level or a bit closer to level while I'm towing it. I'd also like to take a little extra ground clearance and do the electric brakes at the same time.

Should I just get a new axle with everything together? How impossible will it be to get a new axle with brakes for a 71 scotsman?

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 18, 2014

• Locked thread