Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandbagger SA posted:

Should I just get a new axle with everything together? How impossible will it be to get a new axle with brakes for a 71 scotsman?

A junkyard leaf spring pack from a light duty pickup (Ranger, s10 etc), and I assume harbour freight has trailer axles for cheap, like $150.

If you're in Canada you can get Rockwell trailer axles and brake kits for about that price at princess auto.

Then its just a matter of mounting the spring Mount at the front, shackle at the back and getting some custom u-bolts bent for the axle tube. If the axle is too wide, trim out the wheel well a bit and make a custom wheel flare that sticks out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can also use this time to add a shock.

Cheap alternative, do a spring over axle flip, or add some lift blocks. Or taller tires, or both.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, who mentioned swapping my 2500 badge for a 3500 badge ?

Just weighed my truck with a full tank of fuel, no gear, 2 occupants. Just over 7000lbs, and my gvwr is 8800. With an ATV on the back and tongue weight from a trailer, poo poo is going to be close.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Sandbagger SA posted:

sand it down and put on another coat of paint.

So my camper is a good 2ish inches lower than my fixed tow hitch and I want to raise it up so that it sits level or a bit closer to level while I'm towing it. I'd also like to take a little extra ground clearance and do the electric brakes at the same time.

Should I just get a new axle with everything together? How impossible will it be to get a new axle with brakes for a 71 scotsman?

Check and see if the tires are the correct size. Our 74 Scotty is down ~1.5 inches because it has 185/70/14 wheels/tires instead of the 205/75/15 tires that were stock.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Sandbagger SA posted:

So my camper is a good 2ish inches lower than my fixed tow hitch and I want to raise it up so that it sits level or a bit closer to level while I'm towing it. I'd also like to take a little extra ground clearance and do the electric brakes at the same time.

Go hog wild.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Sandbagger SA posted:

sand it down and put on another coat of paint.

Two inches is no problem for a flip, my axles have been flipped for 4x4 use with electric brakes.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

"Everyone" posted:

A lot of great stuff.
There is about a 4" drop from the center of the hub to the center of the axle tube as it is. I've got 195/75D14s.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Two inches is no problem for a flip, my axles have been flipped for 4x4 use with electric brakes.

a flip as in turning the axle tube up? Won't that give me way more clearance than I want?

I got new bulbs for my tail lights after figuring out one of them was burnt out.

This is the fabric I'm going to use for the curtains.

The cat rolls in the dirt outside while I work on the camper. I honestly don't know what's going on here.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 19, 2014

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Probably doesn't count as a camper but its got wheels! :<:

Giving it a test run as I type this, then tomorrow I hike 5 miles in with my other tent and way more booze than I can drink. Didn't know if I'd get a chance to use it but I found an old logging road I could drive in on and found a clearing. No idea if I'm allowed to be here but I'm gonna take the chance. I am at peace.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Wonderful! You're doing it right.

We're getting more and more painting done which is good as we leave in a week! The bedroom is blue now.

We brought the cats out for a one hour test session. The teenage boy cat is super excited at all the windows and things to jump on. The older girl cat is super excited at all the weird smells and all the down-low hidey holes. I think they'll like it. Tomorrow i'll bring them out and run the genny for a while to get them used to the sound.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Sandbagger SA posted:

a flip as in turning the axle tube up? Won't that give me way more clearance than I want?

It's where you move the axle from the bottom or top of the spring and move it to the top or bottom of said spring.

How much you gain or lose depends on what pads are on your axle and poo poo.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

InterceptorV8 posted:

It's where you move the axle from the bottom or top of the spring and move it to the top or bottom of said spring.

How much you gain or lose depends on what pads are on your axle and poo poo.

Oh you mean going to a spring over axle configuration?

Google confirms that this is exactly what you mean.

basically like this:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll150/Newblue2008/DSC00239.jpg

And then there's this where someone has completely turned the tube upside down.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee59/blazair/TRAILER/e446.jpg

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 19, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sandbagger SA posted:

This is the fabric I'm going to use for the curtains.

It's a nice colour, but I don't think cat fur looks good as curtains.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
We're sleeping in the RV now (one week to go) and the cats like it. Minor mechanicals and cleanup, tags on Monday, then we leave Thursday!

Blew the first fuse, it looks like one of the old incandescents started drawing like 18 amps last night and popped it. Fixture looks fine. Disconnected it, circuit came back up fine. More LEDs needed.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

spog posted:

It's a nice colour, but I don't think cat fur looks good as curtains.

I see what you did there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
On the real, that fabric pattern is _great_. If you aint got funky window treatments in your camper, you are doing it wrong.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
This guy is found campers the right way!

http://i.imgur.com/Obx7Kms.jpg

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jonny 290 posted:

We're sleeping in the RV now (one week to go) and the cats like it. Minor mechanicals and cleanup, tags on Monday, then we leave Thursday!

Blew the first fuse, it looks like one of the old incandescents started drawing like 18 amps last night and popped it. Fixture looks fine. Disconnected it, circuit came back up fine. More LEDs needed.

Have you sold the house yet or is it just empty?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Sandbagger SA posted:

Oh you mean going to a spring over axle configuration?

Google confirms that this is exactly what you mean.

basically like this:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll150/Newblue2008/DSC00239.jpg

And then there's this where someone has completely turned the tube upside down.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee59/blazair/TRAILER/e446.jpg

Oh you have the axles with the offset? But yeah, picture one was what I was talking about.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Oh you have the axles with the offset? But yeah, picture one was what I was talking about.

yeah- if I go from an offset axle to a straight axle (SUA) I should gain like 3-4 inches of height easy (and not sacrifice clearance). The question is do I want that much?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Panty Saluter posted:

Have you sold the house yet or is it just empty?

Mostly empty, FSBO sign is up but I don't have it on MLS yet. Going to hire some fellows from Craigslist early next week to finish the cleanout (anything of value is out already) and we're hitting the road on Thursday or Friday.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jonny 290 posted:

Mostly empty, FSBO sign is up but I don't have it on MLS yet. Going to hire some fellows from Craigslist early next week to finish the cleanout (anything of value is out already) and we're hitting the road on Thursday or Friday.

Sounds good, good luck with the drive!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Everything else still looks disgusting but:

CURTAINS!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Now Im considering a normal bumper pull trailer, and building/having someone build a rack for the UTV tht puts the front tires up over the roof of the truck.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
The above tent is specifically designed to put in the bed of your truck. It worked out great and seems to be of good quality, the only complaint that I have is that the rain fly doesn't keep rain from getting into the bed like other truck tents that I have seen, so if your bed lacks drain holes like mine, the tent becomes a waterbed in a storm if you aren't on an incline. I recommend a good quality sleeping pad though so you don't feel the ridges of your bed or bedliner.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why the gently caress are roof top tents so god drat expensive.

A 6 man tent is $150. Put it between 2 pieces of plastic and add a hinge, $1750.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hey, i got the blog thingy caught up with all the photos so far.

http://hausbus.tumblr.com/

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
This is the one week out crunch before my first field test of the rolling loaf camper. I still haven't bought a new mattress yet.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol at crazy cobbled together sound system.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Today was a mad rush to get as much done on my camper as possible.

I resealed the front driver's side corner because I had issues with some seeping there. I also resealed the 4 large bolt holes in the roof that had not sealed quite so well with silicone. I also get a dribble of water during hard rain than comes in through the water intake spout for my water tank but I can't think of a fix for it other than stretching a condom over the inlet tube until I have a replacement tank to put there.

My dad and I completed the ceiling and the trimming out the front. We also framed out the bed area though I don't have any pics of that yet.

The refrigerator was reinstalled after I painted it to match the trim.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I do have one issue so far though:

I've put a new 4 pole wiring harness in to replace the old one and I haven't been able to get it to work just right.

Excuse my terrible mspaint art.

This is how I've got it wired. The wires are primarily the standard 4 pole setup. Brown is brake lights, green is passenger turn signal, yellow driver turn signal. The lamps that came on my camper had a 3rd wire from a ground plate that I wired together and grounded to the frame.

The problem I'm having is both lights work but only the driver's side lamp will blink when I use the turn signal.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Sandbagger SA posted:

The problem I'm having is both lights work but only the driver's side lamp will blink when I use the turn signal.

What about four-ways?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I haven't tried the 4-ways yet. I'll check them out after work assuming it's not torrential rain when I get home.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Have you checked the bulb is fine?

Otherwise I'd check the continuity all the way down to the bulb and including both sides of the connector

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'll check out the continuity on the connector and the bulb tonight too. The lights worked on the old harness so I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with my jeep.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I don't want to give the whole novel as I'm at my new job and don't want to be That Guy, but we made it into Denver - WITH THREE HOURS to spare. We had awful problems starting out, as Hausbus drove fine in town but wouldnt break 45 on the flats or 25 up hills. We made it 330 miles in 11 hours and then slept. I cashed in my Good Sam Roadside Assistance that I wisely purchased before we left, and got a FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR (paid for) tow to the semi shop in Wichita. They diagnosed a bad _rear_ fuel filter (there an inline), replaced and we were on our way, blasting through at 65 mph for thirteen hours straight. The Chevy 454, in proper trim, is a force of nature. God drat it's fun to just put miles on this thing.

The scary thing is that when they dropped the driveshaft to tow, they told me that the driveshaft bolts were 'finger tight'. I coulda died! Well worth the professional help to get a critical eye on it.

We're parked at a decent park now on a bus route, I can ride in to work, and our mission is a success. Hausbus got us to Denver.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Congrats! Glad everything went well.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Glad to hear it! I just today was able to get someone out to my RV to get the slide out in...now to get it home.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So the new truck I purchased a couple weeks back, might lose it in a divorce lol.
On the plus side, might be single !

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Most of the paint is complete. re-re-refixed the last leak in the roof. (this time I think we're good :ohdear: ).

Not pictured: put my new mattress in. It was way too dark to snap a photo by the time everything was ready to go. I'll get one tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jonathan posted:

So the new truck I purchased a couple weeks back, might lose it in a divorce lol.
On the plus side, might be single !

:frogbon:

gently caress dude, is it sorry or congrats?

• Locked thread