Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

So, this just happened

gently caress yes.

And don't go crazy trying to "update" it. Live with it. It's fine. All RVs interiors are designed by the same 6 guys who have been living in a cave since 1976, only let out once a year to design a new interior. They are given a couple of modern design magazines to go by, but mostly just base things off of the last bordello they went to in the early 70s before they got locked way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

We pick up the motorhome today! So very excited.

Seller was very patient with my loan wait, and has been nothing but friendly and forthcoming with info the whole time. Good feelin's.

Awesome.

And yes, that sounds like your typical RV person. It's a little club, and they want everyone to join and will help anyone who is interested.

I don't recall if you've owned one before, but if you're ever camping or in a park and have a problem/need tools/parts/etc you're likely to have a bunch of people right there to help you get going again. Even if all you need is some sugar for your coffee. It's something that's very much a great part of the whole experience.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TWSS posted:

Any of you goons have an opinion on old Airstreams? Me and my girlfriend are considering getting as an alternative to paying rent. Her parents have a lot of spare space to park a trailer on their farm and they're great people.

Airstreams are fantastically nice. Very high quality construction, with a price to match.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

its hard to beat a roof top tent

This is what I'm building up to for my Rover. RTT with a vestibule like that. I think it will serve all my needs, and I will likely sell my RV trailer once I get that.

It's not for everyone....the trailer is a freaking portable hotel room, which is awesome. But that's just not what I want anymore.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Today I cut down half a tree to fit the RV in the driveway, got it in (first try!) and promptly started ripping apart the dash. That speaker wire was the constant 12v for an alarm.

After taking this pic, we have ripped out about six stupid accessories (clocks and compasses), the stereo, the CB, and a Viper alarm that wasn't even hooked up.

You have a lot of poo poo to go through, but this is going to be awesome.

DO NOT COMPROMISE on electrical or water sealing. If you're missing something and just want to get a job done STOP. Get the right stuff and do it right. You'll be happy (or not pissed) later.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

I ID'd the two mystery cables going to the house batteries too - one is for the genny starter (duh) and the other is for the isolation relay to allow you to start the thing off the house batteries if your main dies (double duh).

This is all a very, very good sign. That thing was set up right.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PhilintheBlank posted:

Does anyone have a hands on opinion of the class b camper vans? Not like the VW pop up conversions, but more like the great west or roadtrek.

A buddy of mine swears by them (has owned one or another for more than the last couple decades). I borrowed his latest once and it was pretty drat nice, but thirsty (10 cyl Ford van front).

It's not nearly as spacious as my 24' travel trailer, but it is a hell of a lot easier to get around. Problem being, once you get there you're kinda stuck without breaking it down. I sure wouldn't want to tow a car behind one unless it was a diesel, and even then I think I'd rather just tow a travel trailer and have my towing vehicle to run around in.

So I guess it really depends on what you like to do once you get somewhere. If you're gonna stay put or you're just camping at night while traveling they're pretty awesome, especially since you can sit in the living area while traveling. (that's why I borrowed his)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Thawing now. Instead of getting the actual pipe tape stuff, I got the wire that you string on the bottom of a residential roof to keep ice dams melted down. 150 watts for 30 feet if I recall? Feels warmish in there, letting it go for a while.

Did you also get enough foam pipe insulation to cover the hose+heat tape? It works much better that way. Just get the next size up (if you have a 3/4" water line + heat tape get the 1" stuff).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

this one for the sewer line

Ohhh....I hadn't thought about that. Heat tape on the bottom with long zip ties and........some kind of wrap? There has to be something common you can use there that is weatherproof. Anything I can think of is for indoor commercial-sized boiler lines.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aargh posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people? It seems these, like luxury boats and aircraft, are designed by some of the most conservative backwards blind people you're ever likely to meet. Who sees a small space and thinks that dark woodgrain with pseudo antique moldings is going to make anything feel larger. Where's the light colours, light woodgrain, minimal design?

Gonna refer you to my previous post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635328#post429964149

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Hausbus is 100% half inch pex and i can assure you it is tough as poo poo. All of our lines froze solid a couple times the first winter, no splitting or leaking.

Confirmed, but not in RV use. I get the poo poo frozen out of my barn water lines on a regular basis in the winter......yeah, I'm an idiot.

But going on 4 years with many more "whoops" events and everything is fine.

I understand the new hotness are the pinch clamps but I have always used the copper rings. I have no idea if that makes a difference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

Could any Airstream experts comment on if this would be a good deal / bad idea or if it is worth anything? Ideas on what to offer?

http://www.lsn.com/1975-airstream-reduced/5265553.html

Uhhhh.....

"so we gutted the entire interior, which is a good chunk of the work"

No, it's not.

Best case, you are buying a registrable shell which is hopefully water tight. Confirm that. Then look at suspension and brakes/bearings. Count on most of that being trashed if it's been sitting. Of course the tires are done.

So what it your plan here? How much money and time do you have? If the answer is not "at least 5x the asking price and tons of time (and I've very hands on DIY with mechanical and carpentry skills)" move on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

Wouldn't be possible extremely picky who gets in and codes and such. You could do it with just huge tent and equipment. Rent an RV is what a week if even possible . I'd want to be all in including purchase price 6-7k for trailer. And serious question can I safely pull this 50-100 miles with v8 explorer that I am desperately
Trying to find a use for?

A 31 foot trailer with an Explorer? That sounds super sketchy. Not only will that thing likely be heavy as hell with food equipment and supplies, but the wheelbase of an explorer isn't confidence inspiring for highway travel with a trailer of that size. Doubt you'll be able to handle the tongue weight without suspension modifications and a load leveling hitch.

Time to add up what the contents will weigh and keep in mind.......stock these things are 5000 lbs with a 500 lb tongue weight. I'd guestimate only 1k or less of that is interior finish. I doubt you'll be able to get it under 7k gross and v8 explorers are rated for like 3500 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

You are absolutely right, I went and looked at it and it was so much bigger than I imagined. WAY too big. And even if it was one of the small ones it had lots of body damage and it was a nasty mess inside. I sincerely appreciate all input thank you.

I get that you want the look for an airstream or some other classic, but you're gonna need a different tow vehicle, even with a small one. Old RVs are heavy as hell, and have been until like the 2000s when they started using a lot more aluminum and actually giving a poo poo about weight. And almost all food service equipment has a lot of gravity in it, since it was intended to be in a fixed install. I just don't see the explorer working out on this one.

Besides, to be period correct you want to tow it with this:

• Locked thread