Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I think they're pretty much all the same and you will probably get a deal on a set with the hitch, if the aren't included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
If it is one of the major hitch manufacturers they will almost always work with a universal hitch rail kit. If you find one you like you can cross reference it before you buy.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to get the largest-area camper I can, but keep it below 1500 pounds, so I can tow it with a compact car.

The best option I've seen so far is the Trailmanor, this model has a dry weight of 2050 pounds and is a hard-wall pop-up so it should be even easier to tow since the aerodynamics are good: http://trailmanor.com/wordpress/2417-sport-series/

It's still 500 pounds too heavy though. I'm trying to figure out how practical it would be to reduce the weight further.

You can see here is has a steel chassis, so I could save a few hundred pounds by removing it and replacing it with aluminum: http://trailmanor.com/wordpress/superior-construction/

Besides that it would come down to alloy wheels instead of steel, aluminum or fiberglass propane tanks, and replacing appliances (swap fridge for mini-fridge, etc) and other deletions.

Failing that, the only other option I can see is these modular "Teal Tailfeather" panels:

http://www.tealinternational.com/TailFeather/

You bring your own trailer bed, then put those panels together on top of it like Legos. They're claiming the weight for a 5x10 trailer is just 1,100 pounds including the trailer. But, they seem to be on some kind of hiatus and there's no links to buy the panels. That while they're amazingly utilitarian, like me, they're also super fugly, like me. They're not as much space as the Trailmanor, though the insulation looks spectacular.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I know it's not the answer to your question but I live in a camper seven months out of the year and pull heavy trailers that are not campers every week during those seven months. Air bags. I put air bag helper systems on every truck I have. They don't add power to the motor of course but that's not usually the problem. Especially with as small of a delta as five hundred pounds I'd just add some air bags. They're pretty universal if your willing to do or have some custom work done and not really expensive. I don't use the systems with the onboard compressors I just air up and down with my compressor or at a gas station and the best part is that they're helper bags, you don't remove any of the oem parts.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
All this is true but Airstreams are notoriously tough and it probably is watertight. As far as value goes anything you turn into a Mobil food unit is only worth what the equipment inside is worth. If that's the route you are taking I'd offer half and be prepared to walk away. Campers don't make the best food units anyway but if you were only using it for one specific festival like that it could be fine.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

jonathan posted:

Attn powershift and others. Are e450 based motorhomes from the mid 2000's a normal 6.0L powerstroke ?

I think some of them were non intercooled. But I don't think they were any different than any other normal 6.0.

• Locked thread