Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

This thread makes me feel so boring in my stock 23' travel trailer (which isn't even listed as a valid type in the OP) being towed by a new diesel truck. I'm not worthy of all of these custom projects that others have done.

Out of curiosity, is there a thread for the actual act of RV traveling? I work remotely, and I'm planning a 6 week road trip next year with our 3 year old and 1 year old in tow. Both of them started camping as newborns, but the longest trip we've done so far is a week at one campsite in the local area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I haven't seen any threads for that but feel free to post a travel log here. Are you just going from campsite to campsite or are you doing some other stuff like national parks / boondocking?

Yes :v:

The plan is to work from East TN to the west coast for a couple of weekends - one for my grandma's 90th birthday and one to go to a couple of Spring Training games in Phoenix. My friends and I used to go to Spring Training every year when I lived in CA, so we've been looking for another excuse to head out that way. Both are in March so that works out well to combine into one trip.

Generally we're going to work from campsite to campsite during the week - around 100-300 miles in the late afternoon/evening - since we have young kids and since I'll be working during the day, and then stay 2-3 days around the weekends around Nat'l Parks that are in en route. I'll probably take 2 or 3 Fridays off along the way. Thinking working through AL and MS to New Orleans and a couple Nat'l Monuments in north Louisiana on the first weekend, suffer across Texas, next weekend at Carlsbad, a couple nights in Saguaro, the couple of weeks on the west coast, then take the northern I-40 route home through Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, and Hot Springs.

Course this is all speculation at this point. Goonwife may look at the itinerary and :stare: the whole idea back to the drawing board.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Welp, friend's camper got jacked today, while in storage.

Apparently whoever stole it went far enough to remove the gate to the storage lot, and cut off his hitch lock. For a base K-Z Escape... I would guess there's other property missing from the storage place too, that seems like a lot of work to go after a relatively affordable camper. This wasn't a storage lot in BFE either, it's a Public Storage in suburbia.

That's hosed up. Someone broke into my TT in a similar suburbia storage lot over the winter, but all they did was pop the window open and leave once they didn't immediately see anything valuable like a TV (ours is a tiny 17" that's mounted out of sight anyway). They were small time, but still knew how to dodge the alarm system and barbed wire of the compound. Who knows how long the window was left open considering it was almost 5 months between it being winterized and going in storage and me going to pick it up in the spring, but thankfully I didn't find any water damage except a tiny bit to the corner of the table closest to the window.

But jesus, completely running off with something that big? Where do the thieves plan on selling something that big and easy to track without getting caught?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Welp time to buy a Lo Jack or whatever the equivalent is these days.

I'm guessing no cameras or alarms at that lot then? Our storage lot has cameras all around the perimeter and a unique code for each user that gets logged when used, and an alarm system that activates if any of the perimeter is breached. They've never had any outright thefts thankfully, just the occasional lowlife that tries to break in and steal camper contents.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

DAT RAM posted:

I'm about to rebuild the side of the roof on my pop up cause the corner (approximately in the red area) is rotten.

Basically some of the caulking on the top went bad and some water got in. The roof and everything outside of the red box is solid, as is the matching opposite side. The challenge is trying to find a piece of wood long enough that's a solid piece, since it's about 12 1/2 feet long and has to be about a foot wide. I thought about just replacing the bad wood but then I'd be risking the structural strength of the roof, which is holding up that heavy rear end a/c unit. I'm open to suggestions about the wood.

At least I can work on it in the garage for the most part so I don't have to bust my rear end to get it done and worry about rain or animals getting inside.

I might gut it this winter and re-do the interior because of the lovely engineered "wood" that has soaked up water like a sponge and is falling apart. My wife, kids, and I use the poo poo out of it so it isn't going to hold up much longer if I don't give it some TLC.

Is that a green '02 Explorer in the background? I swear mine has been haunting me since I traded it in (after 15 years of ownership) a couple months ago :stare:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Haunting you? Why?
I am selling my 2001 Sport Trac due to the towing rig purchase. Going to miss it dearly as a daily driver.

I had that thing since I graduated college, and it felt like leaving my wife. Well, for the whole 30 minutes until I sat in the front seat of my shiny new truck and heard the sound of that sweet, sexy diesel engine. But ever since then, green '02 Explorers have been haunting/stalking me everywhere I go. I had no idea there were so many of them out there.

It definitely was nice being able to fit into normal parking spaces.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

On another subject: What are the thoughts on a weight distribution hitch? One I saw being recommended starts over $500.

As opposed to pulling a big rear end travel trailer with just the ball hitch? Don't skimp on that. I don't know anyone who pulls a TT without one of those. With an F150 I probably wouldn't consider it until you get down to something small enough to be single axle, like those micro/pod trailers.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

OK, I found this one on Amazon that has decent reviews. NADA shows the "hitch weight" as 585lbs. I am thinking that once loaded (we do not forsee adding more than 1000lb more on when loading the trailer) we should be good with the 750lb rated WDH. Does that sound like a sound plan? The other one I saw with good reviews has a 600, 800 and 1000lb rated for pretty much the same cost.

My brain is starting to turn to moosh with all the numbers and formulae.

Looks almost exactly like my Eaz-Lift, so probably should do the job as long as you have the right size hitch receiver. That plate for the sway bar is a real bitch to install (had to do that part myself), so make sure you have an AC-powered drill and bits made for metal. You'll also need an impact socket wrench to fasten the shank to the hitch.. or at least that's what the guy that put mine together used. If you pick up the camper from a place that has a service shop they'd probably measure your hitch drop and attach the hitch to the shank for free.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

jonathan posted:

Also, the Reese hitch brackets just loop over the trailer frame with a thread "set screw" to keep them secure. All you need is a 10mm open end wrench. No drilling required. Took me 2 minutes to set up a rental flat deck with the hitch.

Do you not use the sway bar? That plate that you're supposed to bolt onto the trailer tongue is for the sway bar, which usually comes in the kit. The brackets for mine also have the set screw like you said. The sway bar is good if you're pulling something big and light since it's basically a giant parachute whenever a semi truck passes you. I don't bother with the sway bar when I get the camper in and out of storage since it's just down a 40mph road, but I never go without it on the interstate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

jonathan posted:

Then again my daily driver work truck weighs 140,000lbs hauling fluid which never stops moving so maybe I just don't notice.

Driving a regular pickup truck down the interstate must feel like throwing a hotdog down a hallway by now.

• Locked thread