Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For heat, those diesel-fueled airtronic ones create a lot of heat, but sip fuel. Something like less than a gallon per 24 hour period.

I put one in my VW bus and it's honestly too much heat. I think it would do a small camper in a NE winter easily, and a medium camper in a milder winter okay, too.

Here's a post I made about it.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The ex-First Sergeant of my company bought a converted short bus from a traveling RN. It has rainwater collection and solar heating on the roof, a teeny toilet stall, outdoor shower with pop-out privacy curtains on rods, a full-size bed, and other poo poo. I really need to get a picture of it. Every summer he goes to work up in some capacity in the oil industry in Alaska, then lives in it down here in AZ during the winter.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, what's the EFR on mini splits? My window unit is 11.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If it's like a westfalia, there's another bed up there. Though I've seen some with "upstairs" seating, and others that are just...open, but that's generally an inefficient use of space.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Started running the eberspacher on kerosene. Road diesel carbons it up after 50 hours or so, then it takes a few start attempts. Kerosene runs clean and hot.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I really like that. Any chance you'll coat it in something like Thompson Water Seal or Plastidip or something to waterproof it? Pegboard warps horribly with moisture changes.

In other news, spent the first two days sleeping in the bus, once on a campout and once the day between work and drill (get off at 1 AM, drill at 6 AM). Heater works nicely, but is a bit loud with the *CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK*. Maybe I'll build a soundproof box for the fuel pump clicking.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I made a front curtain bar, for more privacy while camping.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Pic?

Also came home last night to a house that smelled like rotten eggs. I'm the worst adult because the first thing I thought of wasn't a gas leak, but a possible boiling over battery from my VW bus.

Yep, one of the less-than-2-year-old yellow top optimas was bulging. I have the bus on a tender (well, shore power with a vanner charger/inverter set to agm) 100% of the time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
75% of retail

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are those us road legal?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Fleet sales of 7.3s (ambulances, others) didn't end until even later than that. We have some 2006s.

Parts will be available forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Since getting rid of the white 98 Explorer (timing chain guides shattered), samesies. They're everywhere! Why did Ford make so many LL Bean editions?!

• Locked thread