Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

My Self build van ambulance.

Still not finished the interior yet (its totslly usable but not ideal) and I'm now 10 years in... May get it finished this summer depending how much paid work I get.

Am fighting thoughts of remodelling the back body quite a lot by removing the rear doors, extending the rear by a foot or so and fitting a door in the side. This would also mean I would have to completely gut it and move all my furniture and fixings round from how they are now and probably not finishing for another 10 years...

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

thegasman2000 posted:

Anyone have any opinions on split charge relays? I can get a kit for like £20 on eBay or pay over £200 for one. I get batteries for free due to my work for a local scrap yard so kinda want something basic and cheap. Working starts soon :/ managed to beg and borrow from some electrician friends the wire I need.

I just have a normal relay switched by the alternator charge light that runs the split charge for my leisure battery. Seems to work and costs nothing. I also have a solar panel on the roof that charges my leisure battery only and it seems to have no trouble staying charged.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meltie posted:

It's a land rover "101"; an ex-military ambulance built on a sturdy off-road 4x4 chassis with a cab-over-ish Buick/Rover V8. I um, think. Gorgeous!

Yep. Landrover built the 101 in the late 60's/70's. Most were canvas roofed trucks designed to carry stuff and tow. some were built as chassis-cabs and then coachbuilt into ambulances and radio trucks. It uses bits from the landrover/rangerover parts catalogue. Its a rover V8 on a leaf sprung ladder chassis. solid Salisbury/Dana style axles and permanent 4x4.
Its kind of inbetween a landrover and a unimog.

This is mine 10 years ago.

It was a restricted 3.5l v8 that would only do 60mph. It has a 4speed box (from a rangerover but with lower gearing fitted).
Its now a 3.9 V8 on SU carbs with an LPG conversion. I have fitted disc brakes, power steering, rewired it, repainted it and stripped the back out (I slept on the stretchers for a while but couldn't hack it!).
I stripped out the stretchers and built seats which convert to a bed. I have a leasure battery running low power lights and a fridge. solar panels on the roof to keep it topped up. I have fitted a hob and sink unit out of a caravan. Sink has a cold water feed with manual and electric pump from an external water barrel. No hot water yet and no toilet facilities. I have an awning on the roof that pulls out to give you more space/shade/shelter from the back but don't have walls for it yet (they need custom making as it is 3 feet taller than the landrover the awning was designed for!)

Unfortunately I also have no decent photos of inside the back now and it is currently full of saab parts and scrap metal and I was going to empty it out this weekend but it is raining. This is what the outside looks like now:

I am about to start converting it to EFI, and am replacing the master cylinder and brake servo with those from a landrover 110 to give it more braking power (I need more for the discs and the 110 master cylinder has a larger bore than the original). It currently has a servo from a saab c900 and a master cylinder from a series landrover with some adaptors to make the plumbing work.
Unfortunately with it being forward control the pedal box is squeezed in behind the dash and front panel and to fit the bigger 110 stuff I am going to have to loose my speedo and dash gauge pod so i am fitting an electric dash unit too (which is nice and slim) which runs the speedo off an range rover speed sensor which _should_ fit straight into my gearbox...
I have an overdrive to fit too, and want to finish the back off. I need more storage and need to build some external storage for my spare wheel and to carry my bike. Might fit a roof rack and a roof tent (it has a nice roof hatch in the middle of the roof which would be ideal for tent access). I'd like aircon too but havent worked out how yet.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I don't think he ever managed to finish the rest of the install. I went through a period of trying to buy stuff off ebay to do it but was never as lucky to get bits at reasonable prices. At one point i was going to pull the bits off a scrap car/range rover to do it but have never got round to it. Aircon always gets pushed down the list too as engine and interior are more important!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Safety Dance posted:

Sounds like you should just throw a motorcycle in the back.

Yeah - this is the easy solution!

I've got an old moped which I hope to hang on an external bracket over my spare wheel - when I get time to build the required brackets..

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I want to upgrade my solar setup to make it automatically charge both batteries (It currently does one and I manually switch it over and have 2 voltmeters to help me decide when).

Loads of places seem to currently be selling what looks like a chinesium (I've found it with 3 different brand names so far) voltage reg/split charge unit that comes with a remote LCD screen. Has anybody seen one of these in use? I can't find any details on what the screen actually does!..

link here - http://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/66-10A-dual-battery-solar-charge-controller-with-a-remote-LCD-meter.html

I can get the pair for £61 on Amazon so it looks like it wont be a huge waste of money even if it is poo poo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Doccers posted:

I can get a nice camping shower kit, but I haven't seen anything that would fit for a toilet, and while I'm fine with a shovel in backwoods camping, It would be nice luxury to have.

Can you not get shitboxes like these where you are? They are the standard UK camping toilet.

I'm in the same position as you with not having space for a real toilet inside my truck but have seen people use these and simply built a storage cabinet to stow them inside somewhere.

Can be used inside if you are desperate or outside with the addition of an awning/windbreak/curtain/small tent/behind the truck

• Locked thread