Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

:catstare: I think it'll be fine.

It's hilarious the numbers these things are putting down. My parents run a 2014 Tiffin Phaeton with a Cummins ISL 450/1250 motor. As a guy approaching that with a tune on my LMM Duramax, I always wondered what kind of tunes existed for the big bus motors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

wallaka posted:

Banks, et. al. make kits for ISL engines. They can easily make a couple hundred more horsepower and torques, but then they start grenading the transmissions. The Allison 3000s are only rated to 1250 or so and Cummins already limits torque to spare them. An Allison 400 is good to 1900ish ft-lbs, so there's some headroom.

Interesting! Makes sense that the trans is the limit. Without an ATS or similar I don't dare turn the wick up any further on my dually.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

jonathan posted:

Also we get probably a dozen or more motorcycles doing the Alaska hwy every day. Funny because Jasper to Grande Prairie is a horrible road for a motorcycle. It's all large energy industry trucks coming from gravel roads tossing rocks and pot holes and frost heaves.

I've driven between the states and AK like 6-7 times and twice on a bike now. Taking 40 down from GP to Jasper isn't great, but it's a means to and end - the reward of Jasper and Banff is way worth it. That being said I ride it on an R1200GS Adventure, I wonder what kind of time Harley guys have in similar conditions.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Fog Tripper posted:

It's near the top tow rating of F150s. Anything more than that would be diesel which would be a lot more cash. It's around 8000 tow capacity, well within what we had previously been looking at. I think a 21 footer or so will be fine for us until retirement where we'll really splurge if we enjoy it enough, gooseneck or class A. The camper lifestyle, not the retirement age.

*There are plenty of other manufacturers, but I am familiar with Ford so...

I pull a 30' toy hauler with a diesel dually, and only because it's an older trailer that's like 6500 empty and a 1500# tongue weight. We saw a lot of rigs between AK and NC on our trip last summer and there are a TON of super light, really nice options that are well within an 8k tow capacity. Someone camped next to us in Zion pulling some really nice ultralight 24'er with a Toyota Highlander, and they had started out in southern Florida, so a late-model F150 ought to be more than enough!

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
If/when building a completely bespoke overland expedition camper frame out of square-stock steel tubing, what is the preferred method for attaching plywood sheathing to said frame?

My initial thought is pilot hole the wood/metal at the same time and use self tapping screws and countersink the heads into the wood. Ultimately the outer wood sheathing would be covered with aluminum siding, camper fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Astonishing Wang posted:

Maybe some tabs welded on to the inside or outside of the frame so that the body can be bolted down? That way you wouldn't have to drill into the frame and risk extra rusting and such over time.

That's not a bad idea at all. A few dozen tabs would be inconsequential weight-wise, and you're right about the water ingress issues with drilling holes. I also worried about what kind of structural ramifications multiple holes per structural member would have.

• Locked thread