Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Here's another project for me to get in over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

bandman posted:

That is one good lookin' loaf. At least on the side in the picture, the edge strips appear to be in good shape, so there's hope it's not rotsville in the walls/roof/everyfuckingwhere.

Stay tuned for more pics. I'm at work and the internet if awful here. There is rot and it WILL need work but the metal frame is solid and it towed nicely the circuitous hour and a half route that I took through New Hampshire backroads.

The seller said it's a 1971 Scotsman.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
More pictures!

The corners in the front need help. Pretty much the entire back wall is hosed and the ceiling on the front passenger side could use some help. The door needs to be anchored better. The floor is rock solid, though.

I don't know if the gas or water lines or the electrical wiring is good enough to use. The mini fridge is pretty clean though I haven't tried to plug it in yet.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 27, 2014

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

I started demo today.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Jonny 290 posted:

Hell yeah, tear all that poo poo out. Lots of work ahead but it's going to be great.
Since you're ripping out so much I'd strongly think to nuke and redo as much of the infrastructure as you can with modern materials. GFCI protection (if redoing the 110V - DEFINITELY rip that surface mount poo poo out no matter what) and add anything else in that you think you might want.

The 110V stuff looks pretty drat solid actually. I'm removing the wiring I'm not going to want in the future but other than that, It looks pretty good. Now that you mention it, though I might throw some plastic conduit over the remaining electrical.

The brake light wiring on the other hand looks like a hot ball of poo poo. I'll be cleaning that up when I reinstall them.

With my mom's help, I cleaned up the kitchen counter/stove bits.

Lots of poo poo was torn out in today's demo.

I sanded and herculined the tongue a bit.

I removed the rest of the rear wall and the window/spare tire hatch. I then marked and cut the brake light wiring and removed the brake lights.

There were some squatters that had to be evicted (carpenter ants) from the plywood in the back.

:awesomelon:

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 30, 2014

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
You're definitely doing a lot more at once than I am. I'm planning on fixing and using bits as I go. I think I can get a year of use before i strip the side walls off and repair them.

I did rough work of cutting the floor for the cubbyspace under the bed and the rear frame today.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

new floor started. I picked up some 1/4" fanfold underlayment insulation to replace the yellow fiberglass that was in the wall.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 5, 2014

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, it's got about an 8 dBi internal antenna. It's not an omnidirectional antenna, but it's not super-focused either - basically about a pie slice or so. The pole slides up and then twistlocks into position wherever you point it. There's a signal strength LED bar on the back of the AP OR you can put it in a 'signal finder' mode where the actual AP emits a little tone that goes up and down proportional to signal strength, if you can't see the LEDs.

That's pretty loving awesome and I feel like I need to know more about this. There are wifi sources near where I'll be going but getting a strong signal might be tricky without a cool antenna.

So I got a lot done on my 3 day weekend.

SteakFlavoredGum visited and we worked on completely resealing my wall seams.

Afterwards, we herculined the roof as a measure of toughening it up and covering it. If the dark color causes the camper to be too hot, I'll paint it a lighter color.

Then I (mostly) painted it. I'm not sure how those hubcaps come off.

This is where I ran out of paint today. :v:

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 9, 2014

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

I'm getting some ideas for the ceiling over the bed. The rigid insulation has been working well and doesn't take up a lot more space than the yellow fiberglass did.

Could stand to be a few inches taller.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 13, 2014

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I went to the store to get some wiring to splice into my trailer light harness and just ended up walking out with a brand new harness.

:3:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Of course if you DO go to 16" rims you can consider treadwrights as a tire option.

:getin:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UCZF_UnG10#t=21

what?

slidebite posted:

True, but I guess I'm thinking of the typical person that just takes a bike or quad. Maybe in those cases there isn't?

think truggies

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I think that is a repair shop shelter box but yeah.

You could legitimately tow a car hauler or a decent sized camper behind that too :3:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

jonathan posted:

Yeah they're weird. They're only rated for 2.5Ton offroad, yet on steelsoldiers.com ive read stories from vets where they say 10ton loads were common offroad.

The rating may come from a certain level of anticipated miring as that drastically decreases tow capacity.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
sand it down and put on another coat of paint.

So my camper is a good 2ish inches lower than my fixed tow hitch and I want to raise it up so that it sits level or a bit closer to level while I'm towing it. I'd also like to take a little extra ground clearance and do the electric brakes at the same time.

Should I just get a new axle with everything together? How impossible will it be to get a new axle with brakes for a 71 scotsman?

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 18, 2014

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

"Everyone" posted:

A lot of great stuff.
There is about a 4" drop from the center of the hub to the center of the axle tube as it is. I've got 195/75D14s.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Two inches is no problem for a flip, my axles have been flipped for 4x4 use with electric brakes.

a flip as in turning the axle tube up? Won't that give me way more clearance than I want?

I got new bulbs for my tail lights after figuring out one of them was burnt out.

This is the fabric I'm going to use for the curtains.

The cat rolls in the dirt outside while I work on the camper. I honestly don't know what's going on here.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 19, 2014

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

InterceptorV8 posted:

It's where you move the axle from the bottom or top of the spring and move it to the top or bottom of said spring.

How much you gain or lose depends on what pads are on your axle and poo poo.

Oh you mean going to a spring over axle configuration?

Google confirms that this is exactly what you mean.

basically like this:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll150/Newblue2008/DSC00239.jpg

And then there's this where someone has completely turned the tube upside down.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee59/blazair/TRAILER/e446.jpg

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 19, 2014

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

spog posted:

It's a nice colour, but I don't think cat fur looks good as curtains.

I see what you did there.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Oh you have the axles with the offset? But yeah, picture one was what I was talking about.

yeah- if I go from an offset axle to a straight axle (SUA) I should gain like 3-4 inches of height easy (and not sacrifice clearance). The question is do I want that much?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Everything else still looks disgusting but:

CURTAINS!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
This is the one week out crunch before my first field test of the rolling loaf camper. I still haven't bought a new mattress yet.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Today was a mad rush to get as much done on my camper as possible.

I resealed the front driver's side corner because I had issues with some seeping there. I also resealed the 4 large bolt holes in the roof that had not sealed quite so well with silicone. I also get a dribble of water during hard rain than comes in through the water intake spout for my water tank but I can't think of a fix for it other than stretching a condom over the inlet tube until I have a replacement tank to put there.

My dad and I completed the ceiling and the trimming out the front. We also framed out the bed area though I don't have any pics of that yet.

The refrigerator was reinstalled after I painted it to match the trim.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I do have one issue so far though:

I've put a new 4 pole wiring harness in to replace the old one and I haven't been able to get it to work just right.

Excuse my terrible mspaint art.

This is how I've got it wired. The wires are primarily the standard 4 pole setup. Brown is brake lights, green is passenger turn signal, yellow driver turn signal. The lamps that came on my camper had a 3rd wire from a ground plate that I wired together and grounded to the frame.

The problem I'm having is both lights work but only the driver's side lamp will blink when I use the turn signal.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I haven't tried the 4-ways yet. I'll check them out after work assuming it's not torrential rain when I get home.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'll check out the continuity on the connector and the bulb tonight too. The lights worked on the old harness so I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with my jeep.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Most of the paint is complete. re-re-refixed the last leak in the roof. (this time I think we're good :ohdear: ).

Not pictured: put my new mattress in. It was way too dark to snap a photo by the time everything was ready to go. I'll get one tomorrow.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Dry run with the camper went well. I should be ready for the trip tonight.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Jonny 290 posted:

e: sandbagger and trouser chili give us reports!

First night of "camping" in the national guard armory parking lot was a success. My WIFI antenna grabbed all the hot spots in the area but unfortunately they were all passworded. Tonight I seem to have snagged one with their password disabled.

The trip up was amazing. About an hour north on I-295 with the doors off on my Wrangler in just the perfect weather. I took it slow and steady and stayed around 65 mph but the ride was gentle and it cornered well enough. I found a parking spot right next to the armory and located an outdoor outlet to plug into. I've only got tonight and tomorrow night left for drill but I think I'll be set.

edit: more camper pics.

Weekend drunk chat with goons over stolen wifi.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 2, 2014

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
My $26 chinese wifi antenna pretty much doubled the reception bars I was getting even with the antenna positioned on the kitchen table. I'll have to consider a permanent mounting location for it.

My Verizon+Android tether works perfectly. I wouldn't know what to say about the iPhone version, though.

My dumb door finally gave in and won't latch correctly now. On the way home from augusta, I tied it shut using an orange extension cord.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 4, 2014

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I found a place to keep the fold and tumble rear seat for my wrangler.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Four days "camping" in the 71 Scotsman went well over the weekend. The door latch is giving me issues and I may be considering simply making a whole new door to replace it. I also still really want to lift the axle. Maybe that can be a spring project.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Bucephalus posted:

See what you did there?

:3:

I think the springs are actually just fine but yeah.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Jonny 290 posted:

Sorry for turning this into my personal blog =/ You guys can chime in too!

Uhh - my Scotsman is cozy under a tarp until spring. I might work on it if the garage was large enough for me to drive it inside and park it.

Spring projects:

- fix the door or at the very least the door latch
- try to source some storm windows
- double check the seals
- buy a spare tire already
- I've got some cool metal racking that I'm considering installing

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Togaparty27 posted:

In the next month or so I will be purchasing my first Class C. We will be moving from Oklahoma to Alaska and I will need to get all things with the RV ready for the trip. On that note, does anyone know of a good wifi booster I can get to boost the signal to my laptop/ipad from hotspots?

I grabbed up one of these to use on drill weekends.

http://www.amazon.com/docooler-Outd...sb+wifi+antenna

it works fairly well. I get a boost on bars and pick up a few more spots that I wouldn't normally see with my laptop's onboard wifi card.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Togaparty27 posted:

Des this mount on the outside of the rv or does it stay inside?

I use it inside for now because i'd rather not add more holes and I'm not sure about how it would survive in the weather/branches hitting it.

I'm sure it would work even better if I had it mounted outside.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Oh yeah - winter camper update.

The scotsman is still under snow. The heavy snow and ice caused the roof to dip a little and I'll have to reinforce the ceiling joists in the spring. Other than that, the tarp didnt fly away and it seemed relatively dry inside.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'm trying to think of ways to seal my jalousie windows when I'm not using them. Do you guys have any ideas?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

iForge posted:

How often will you need to open them? This stuff is great for sealing things up for the off-season or so, but isn't the right route to go if you are just sealing them up in between trips.

I've been thinking about building some storm windows/covers that fit over the jalousies when I'm not using them but I do use them quite a bit when I'm out on a trip. I generally take my camper out once a month in the warm season to use it for national guard duty and this summer I may be using it for camping as well. :ohdear:

as it is, the windows actually keep most rain out but the air pressure (??) seems to suck the water inside during really nasty storms.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

2015 Camper do list.

Buy a spare tire. I haven't done this yet. I suppose it should be my first priority.

Fix the Door. The door sags and generally doesn't stay latched. I'm considering just replacing the whole thing.

Raise the suspension. Perhaps about 2 inches to more closely match the ride height of my wrangler.

Finish sealing the exterior. Again.

Finish painting the interior. There are some spots I never quite got to.

Figure out a TV/Monitor mount for the interior. I'm planning on mounting a flat screen to one of the interior walls.

Test the LP system. The camper has a cool propane cooktop but I'd like to have the system tested for leaks before I start using it.

Finish building the cushions for the dining area/ fold out bed. I've got all the materials to make them but haven't got around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
The snow is gone and now it's time to open up my camper for the season.

The tarp I used to cover my rolling loaf took its toll on the cheap paint I used. I'll have to touch it up.

The ceiling settled a little and it's fairly obvious that I need to add another coat of paint to the inside but otherwise, it held up nicely.

• Locked thread