Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Aww thanks. I've got a laundry list of stuff to do but in that sense it's no different than my dumb cars.

Jonny 290 posted:

oh my gosh i would sip coffee out of a tin cup while hanging out in there and listening to old country music on the radio

:D

I still need to get a coffee maker for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think the only proper way to make coffee in that camper would be via percolator on that stove.

Then I should probably get my propane cook top working.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Camper update:

My mom and I started work on the new cushions for the front seating area/fold out bunk.

I picked up some fabric and foam pieces to make the cushions. We ended up doing a 3 piece boxing design for the cases. The first cover came out a little too small.

Catte was not helpful.

The door was beginning to sag and was rotten so I pulled it and replaced it using a door my dad and I fabricated from of all things: composite decking.

The stuff is ridiculously hard and somewhat impervious to weather.

The spare tire size I need is 195/75D14 with 5x4.5 rims

^ First time using the rolling loaf at an actual camp ground with hookups.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 4, 2015

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Update: I managed to average 16 mpg on the way back hauling the Scotsman.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

I finally added a 2nd coat of paint to the interior of the loaf and then installed a pretty swank bluetooth speaker bar.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

iForge posted:

I would love to have one of these to fart around in, but I doubt I would fit very well inside.

It's definitely not very large but it's surprisingly roomy if you're not :btroll:

Edit: you fit in a Comanche, you'd be fine.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

jonathan posted:

FYI retro styled trailers are a thing now. Think "pro touring" for trailers

I've always liked small campers but dislike the idea of spending ridiculous money on one which is why I ended up with a '71.

I ended up paying the difference in moldy upholstery, rotten walls and leaky plumbing. It's been tremendous fun to work on, though.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 5, 2015

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

iForge posted:

I'm 6' 6" tall, that bed looks cramped.

I'm 6 even and it's fine for me. I'd imagine you'd probably not be the most comfortable but it's what you give up for not needing two foot wide trailer mirrors.

For those interested, that is a normal twin sized mattress. If you can fit on a twin sized mattress, you're good to go.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 6, 2015

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I went with a pale mint green paint for the interior because it's both light enough to maximize reflected light and more interesting than plain white paint.

Also the paint was free.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'm considering setting up the new 2000 Cherokee Sport to pull my 13' Scotsman camper. I already tow it with my Wrangler YJ.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Zero VGS posted:

Is that a bad price, though? $5000 for something brand new that can be stacked and shipped to you on a single pallet? The cheapest hard-shell production campers of that size seem to run around, $20-30k plus delivery.

I'm not trying to be a smartass; if you know of some better values, I'm all ears. But it seems like a good price for such a bright idea; a camper that you can take apart and put in a large closet for the winter.

Besides, I can only imagine the included appliances with campers are kinda poo poo; I'd imagine it's like PCs where picking all the components yourself is going to be a better idea than letting the OEM pick their own high-margin junk.

The biggest issue with RVs is seals and leaks. Anytime you take something apart and put it back together you've made an opportunity for a seal to be compromised.

If I had any kind of real cash, I'd be looking at those fiberglass egg campers. Instead, I have one that cost me $800.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I love small fiberglass campers.

I love how small my 13' camper is but I think at some point I may move up to a 15'er so I can get something with room for a small shower/toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
This weekend, I'm probably going to pull the tail light housings from the Scotsman and consider upgrading the bulbs to LEDs since they are rather dull.

I also got a 4 pin brake light harness tester off Ebay. We'll see how well it works.

• Locked thread