Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

thegasman2000 posted:

Would a ford Freda do you? I think they released it in the states.

I wish, we just got the transit a few years ago. The best option here for a self-build would be to get a Ford Econoline panelvan and fit it out as a stealth camper. The mileage will be terrible though.

Put the wiring in first if you know exactly where everything will be going and how it is all going to work together. If you think you might be making changes run it in raceways instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Vindolanda posted:

Tell me more...

Seconded, Is that a Volvo? I've wanted to do up a Volvo, Unimog or Pinzgauer for a while now but the top speed issues and noise scare me off.

We currently camp in a 1976 Mercedes van bought by my Grandfather which tops out at 50-something and can't climb hills at more than 35. For a while I considered swapping the 4-cylinder om-616 diesel for a 5-cylinder turbo om-617 which would basically double the HP but require some cutting to clear the turbo and still leave us with a 3-speed plus granny gear with no synchros. The interior layout wastes a lot of space and the propane heater is rusted out but it has fresh rebuild and a new coat of paint.

However we have still had a great time driving it through the Canadian Rockies and down to Death Valley. I think we are just going to try to stay on top of maintenance and use it for short trips up the coast. Eventually we will build out something more modern, maybe once the new 4x4 sprinter vans show up on the used market we will fit one out or if we have another kid maybe go whole-hog on a cab-over commercial truck.

My wife really wants that 6x6 G-wagen but I doubt I need to tell anyone here why that is never happening.

Have a pic, the Dog loves roadtrips because he gets to sit in the passengers lap.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Another Mercedes van just popped up in my area.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4482332013.html

It's a Westfalia conversion whereas mine is a Wolfsburg. Later model though so it has the 5-cylinder and a 5-speed.

• Locked thread