Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
I'm about to rebuild the side of the roof on my pop up cause the corner (approximately in the red area) is rotten.

Basically some of the caulking on the top went bad and some water got in. The roof and everything outside of the red box is solid, as is the matching opposite side. The challenge is trying to find a piece of wood long enough that's a solid piece, since it's about 12 1/2 feet long and has to be about a foot wide. I thought about just replacing the bad wood but then I'd be risking the structural strength of the roof, which is holding up that heavy rear end a/c unit. I'm open to suggestions about the wood.

At least I can work on it in the garage for the most part so I don't have to bust my rear end to get it done and worry about rain or animals getting inside.

I might gut it this winter and re-do the interior because of the lovely engineered "wood" that has soaked up water like a sponge and is falling apart. My wife, kids, and I use the poo poo out of it so it isn't going to hold up much longer if I don't give it some TLC.

DAT RAM fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

How thick? And is it solid timber or plywood?

I haven't ripped it apart to look but I *think* it's plywood. Most of what I've seen from others that do this is that it's plywood or more likely OSB which would explain why it's rotting so bad.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I might just get ahold of a real lumberyard and see what they have and if it's just a solid plank that I can get maybe they can mill it down.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Of course the goon buys Starcraft :v:

lol

It's a 2007 model I bought in 2011 for $4000 and there were no issues at all. Even now everything still works, just wear and tear starting to show through.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

Is that a green '02 Explorer in the background? I swear mine has been haunting me since I traded it in (after 15 years of ownership) a couple months ago :stare:

No, it's a late 00's Expedition.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Buy sheet of 3/4" (or appropriate thickness) plywood, cut two strips of wood wide enough and scarf them together. It's used all the time in boatbuilding, and should be more than sturdy enough for the application.

http://www.boatbuilder.org/godzilliscarfing.htm

I had someone else suggest doing this and I'm going to give it a shot.

• Locked thread