Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

angryhampster posted:

Why is towing a camping trailer so frowned upon in the UK? In the US you see them all the time and no one gives a second glance.

An awful lot of our roads are single carriageway with little opportunity to overtake a caravan moving at 50mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgRXi2svWPU

Althought it does get a bit silly towards the end, this is surprisingly accurate.[EDIT: just realised that this clips misses all the traffic jam bits)

( cynic that is a nice caravan.)

spog fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sandbagger SA posted:

This is the fabric I'm going to use for the curtains.

It's a nice colour, but I don't think cat fur looks good as curtains.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Saga posted:

Question for UK or Euro camper peeps.

My wife wants to pick up a 4 bed Rv with kitchen / toilet, having seen the prices for package holidays during the school holidays. Can you get something that's not a horrible piece of poo poo for £5-6 thousand? I'm thinking 10k might be more realistic.

Basically I have no motivation and less time to wrench on an Rv let alone deal with hosed up electrics plumbing or coachwork. So anything that turns into a project will be a bad investment.

Stuff in the lower price brackets seems to be Talbot Peugeot, Peugeot, Fiat Ducato, Merc 208D or DAF based. Any chassis we should particularly avoid?

Decent vans are expensive.

Depending on your standards, I suspect that you're actually looking more towards £15k for something 'nice' that's not going to look like a 1960's council house or have a top speed of 31.5mph

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/ - have a read of that in WHSmiths

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Saga posted:

Thanks Spog and Cakefool, sort of what I suspected. Fibreglass box on neglected or beaten-on commercial chassis is not a good combination.

That said, tatty in the sense of needs new interior fabrics or the plastics are 80s-vintage and beige isn't a huge issue. As long as you don't think too hard about the years of motorway layby / sleazy euro campsite :gooncamp: the sofa cushions have seen anyway.

We can sort out soft furnishings and a bit of DIY cabinetry easily enough - catching fire a la VW campers or constantly breaking/leaking/falling apart is the bigger issue.

Practical motorhome link looks useful!

Yeah, not to piss on your dreams, but I took a half-hearted look at buying one myself and realised that they hold their price stupidly well. To the point where people were asking £8k for a vehicle that I would pay <£1k if it were the base vehicle only.

That said, you may get lucky.

• Locked thread