Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yay An RV/Camper thread. Going to look at a few newer tow rigs. Liquidated my old stuff awhile back:

Recipe for new camping setup so far:

-2011 Ram 2500 CrewCab/Longbox (Should be picking it up early this week)

-Used Slide-in-Box style Camper. Budgeting around $5000 for one of these. Hoping to get one with slideouts, year 2000 or newer. These fuckers hold their value well though. Nice ones a few years old are still fetching over $30,000. Eventually I will probably buy a shorter toy hauler camping trailer. Perhaps a Rubicon 1905 or a Jayco Octane. Then one ATV can go in it and one can go in the Pickup box. I just don't like the idea of navigating some of the roads I go on with a thin skinned camper trailer.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trailer-campler/edmonton/1999-shadow-cruiser/603535410?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

-A friend gave me a nice snowmobile open haul trailer. It's large enough to fit 3 atv's if you park them sideways. It's a single axle no brakes, but since I will be pulling 3000lb of ATV's plus fuel and gear, I'm going to install electric brakes on the existing axle, and add a second axle. The frame already has the holes and double sheer plating for a second set of spring mounts and shackles. Rockwell trailer axles are dirt cheap and so are the brake kits. I might use this opportunity to install shocks on the axles as well for a more controlled ride, and maybe a load distributing hitch.

ATV's are a CF moto Snyper (Chinese sport side by side for family and friends)
http://www.cfmoto.ca/en/snyper800-eng.html and an Arctic Cat Wildcat desert runner type side by side.

Oh, funny story. The area I live in is kind of oil-rich. I was camping south of town and watch the river boats launch for testing for the upcoming river boat "rat race" event. It's pretty impressive to see some of the campers out here. 40' campers with 4 slide outs, outdoor kitchen slideouts, built in Fuel stations for the atv's and sleds. The boats were pretty cool too. One guy blew up his turbine engine powered river boat. With a cool smug look he said he was expecting it to let go soon, and the rebuild will set him back a little over $300,000.

Another family flew in and landed next to our campsite in a private helicopter. Not some lovely Mash one, a full on custom paint job one that looked like Airwolf.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yay my new tow/haul rig.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did my first camping trip with the new truck, and roughly 150km of dusty bumpy gravel road.

A couple annoying interior squeaks I'll need to address, and this drat exhaust leak. I put it over the grease pit at the shop and tried to locate the leak, but can't find it. No signs of soot on the exhaust either. Maybe it's just a blown motor, but it doesn't seem like it. Motor runs smooth, makes good oil pressure, doesn't overheat, and even at high rpm it doesn't make the noise. only under load.

On a side note, Jeep JK Rubicon is suffering electrical gremlins and a loving EVAP Charcoal cannister error. loving Dodge.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Squeaks in a dodge interior? well i never.

If the truck has an exhaust brake, the turbo could be sooted all to gently caress. cycle your key on and off 3 times ending with it in the on position, and it should start spitting codes out at you. If a p22xx code comes up you've got a fun weekend ahead of you.

Its the 5.7 gas motor. I wanted cheap and simple.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Looked at Carbon, Hideout, Rubicon, Jayco, Sportster and a few others today.

Seems like a 19' (23' with tongue) toy hauler is about what I want. They have 14' of toy space inside, the couches and dining table fold up to the ceiling.

Also looked at the 19' trailers like the WolfPack which have a toy haul deck on the outside front, but they're 8x8' and upper payload is 1000lbs. That won't do as a sidebyside utv is more like 1200lbs and the one I'm interested in is 10' long.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Honest question: What's the advantage of a toy hauler when you have a 5-6' truck bed to use for hauling toys?

Yeah a shortbed truck will take a typical ATV, but if you're interested in something larger like a UTV or more than 1 ATV, a toy hauler is the answer.

I'm looking to get a used Polaris RZR S for my guests and family and an Arctic Cat Wildcat for myself and spouse, but it's 120" and won't fit my 8'2" truck bed.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My truck comes with 265/70/17 tires from the factory. Its got 285/75's on it right now. I want to sell those off and go for something stock diameter.

Is there any reason I can't go with a 245/75/17 ? Is there an even skinnier option provided I stay within the load rating ? As this is a highway and gravel road truck I don't see the need for a wide tire.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

For $60,000 less, you can get this and not get murdered by mosquitos while you're trying to cook a hot dog.

$60,000 can buy a lot of interior furnishings and fuel.

*Smug face

But I already have one of those... Just without the radio box.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandbagger SA posted:

I think that is a repair shop shelter box but yeah.

You could legitimately tow a car hauler or a decent sized camper behind that too :3:

Yeah they're weird. They're only rated for 2.5Ton offroad, yet on steelsoldiers.com ive read stories from vets where they say 10ton loads were common offroad.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slung Blade posted:

Those military truck guys out in quesnel legit? I just found that page the other day too.

Caribou 6x6 or something ?

I have not dealt with them but I have driven by several times. They usually have a few models on display. I don't know ifvtheyre the Canadian bombardier units or the genuine AM General units.

I know of a 5ton wrecker on 54" Michelin XML's for sale just north of Grande Prairie as well.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandbagger SA posted:

The rating may come from a certain level of anticipated miring as that drastically decreases tow capacity.

Yeah, as mine is a weird frankenstein hybrid of Bombardier M35 and Japanese Hino, The GVRW and VIN are from the Hino, which is rated much higher than what the Canadian M35a2 is. I don't know what the GCVWR is for towing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandbagger SA posted:

Should I just get a new axle with everything together? How impossible will it be to get a new axle with brakes for a 71 scotsman?

A junkyard leaf spring pack from a light duty pickup (Ranger, s10 etc), and I assume harbour freight has trailer axles for cheap, like $150.

If you're in Canada you can get Rockwell trailer axles and brake kits for about that price at princess auto.

Then its just a matter of mounting the spring Mount at the front, shackle at the back and getting some custom u-bolts bent for the axle tube. If the axle is too wide, trim out the wheel well a bit and make a custom wheel flare that sticks out a bit.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can also use this time to add a shock.

Cheap alternative, do a spring over axle flip, or add some lift blocks. Or taller tires, or both.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, who mentioned swapping my 2500 badge for a 3500 badge ?

Just weighed my truck with a full tank of fuel, no gear, 2 occupants. Just over 7000lbs, and my gvwr is 8800. With an ATV on the back and tongue weight from a trailer, poo poo is going to be close.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Now Im considering a normal bumper pull trailer, and building/having someone build a rack for the UTV tht puts the front tires up over the roof of the truck.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol at crazy cobbled together sound system.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So the new truck I purchased a couple weeks back, might lose it in a divorce lol.
On the plus side, might be single !

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm not sure either. It sucks losing someone you love, but at the same time its fun to gently caress randoms.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Oh poo poo. Sorry to hear that man. Upside, you'll be joining the majority of dudes in GP.

UHG gently caress. Checked out a tri-axle 5th wheel Cyclone toy hauler today, 20,000lb gvwr, $110,000. Double decks for Hecklin' poors. I don't even know where the gently caress you could take the thing, besides Walmart parking lots, Glamis sand dunes or Music Festivals in the rich people area.

Certainly nice to gawk at though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Paging Powershift. Any chance of renting out that motorhome to some friends of mine for a month ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hokaaaaaay.

Sled deck or flat deck conversion... Thoughts ? Box is 8'2" currently. I need a way to fit a 120" UTV or 2 ATV's/Snowmobiles

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Casualties of Cool would be the perfect album for that camper.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hrmmmmmmmmm

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...gationFlag=true

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Opinions please!

I've narrowed down my search to these two

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1081229113

or this http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1080463069

I wish they had slideouts...

I wonder if there is a better deal stateside or maybe at the auctions. Paging Powershift

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nice. Forgot about the RB. I saw the yard full the other day. I'll browse the ads in the morning once I get back to camp.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

angryhampster posted:

My parents just got a new toy:

They enjoy luxuries while camping and riding.

That's a nice unit. I'd like to pull the trigger on something like that but the footprint is too large for most of the places I like to camp. That's why I'm limited to bumper pull to keep the roofline down out of the branches and a 30' length

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dick Trauma posted:

How much does something like that cost?

In America that one is likely $55k to $75k. The nicest one I have been in is a Jayco Seismic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hwUE5qpGSg

The garage door levels and handrails pop up as a rear patio. On the side is another raised patio with guard rails, TV, sound and light system and cooler/bar. Also dual washrooms. One being a shower in the garage.

Pay attention to 3m:15s of that video

I'm all for enjoyable peace and quiet but I imagine some pretty cool lake parties with drunk 22 year old easily impressed females on that deck.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 5, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
FYI retro styled trailers are a thing now. Think "pro touring" for trailers

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aargh posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people? It seems these, like luxury boats and aircraft, are designed by some of the most conservative backwards blind people you're ever likely to meet. Who sees a small space and thinks that dark woodgrain with pseudo antique moldings is going to make anything feel larger. Where's the light colours, light woodgrain, minimal design?

If I had the money for one of these I'd almost want to get an empty shell and deck it out from there but it would still have that overall cheap looking exterior where you can tell price rather than performance or suitability of use was the driving force behind the specification.

Give me a nicely done teardrop anyday.

I don't know what any of this means. The materials are chosen because there are weight limits. The colours are chosen because who cares. Looks fine to me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I guess I'm just out of the loop. I've always liked the look of dark stained hardwoods. The Irish pub type look, dark paneling etc.

There is a cozy warmth to it. With bright white, its looks like an office building lunch room. Clinical. The bright colours look good in a condo, but to me, it takes away a certain rustic cabin mood I want while I'm relaxing near a lake.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aargh posted:

That's why you accessorise, maybe a nice throw draped across the couch, a bright simplistic artwork on the wall (yellows really brighten a space) or maybe some flowers.

/interior design chat.

I am perfectly happy with how many of the modern ones come.

Here are a couple examples of what I am looking at (except lol this first one is 37' total length!)
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1085955966 I wish they could build some sort of telescoping deck so I could shorten it up when not hauling toys.

Here's another one but I kind of don't want a 5th wheel, even if they do tow nicer.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...gationFlag=true

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone offered to trade my Jeep for a '68 airstream.

Phone:
Have a 1968 airstream. 26' New tires/axles/water heater/brakes/upholstery/new shocks/water pump rebuilt/cork floors/ aluminum tanks/furnace just serviced. Very nice trailer Sleeps 4 Used once in two years.

My Jeep is worth around 15k CDN. Thoughts ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm going to buy a 5th wheel hitch. What do I need to know about mounting rails ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Reason I ask, I'm seeing lots of good condition hitches for sale on Kijiji but none of them come with rails. So are the rails unique to the brand or is there a standard ? Do different rails match different trucks or are they all the same and you just drill and bolt ?

This is going on a 2011 Ram 2500 long box crew

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I purchased this
http://www.mcgeorgerv.com/product/used-2010-heartland-north-country-26bh-286135-29

Not that one specifically but that model. Got it in a divorce sale for 60% of the used value. Winterised, everything works. Batteries are toast tires are original and essentially brand new but hard to tell if they're dried up or not.

The interior hasn't been touched from what I could tell.

Probably going to upgrade the Jensen media center to something newer with Bluetooth.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Got a new trailer. 2010 Heartland North Country, pretty much brand new other than a small scuff outside and the fridge doesn't seem to work at least off 110v. I'll try it with propane and see what happens. Buddy says it's either the board not sensing voltage (he has a new board he will give me) or to pull the fridge, turn it upside down for 24 hrs, then try it.

Edit: I don't know why the timg isn't working, at least not from the android awful app.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

some texas redneck posted:

tl;dr add i. before imgur.com and l.jpg at the end for most forum posts.

Nice thanks! I didn't even notice it was lacking the file name extension

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp, first camping trip, some friends own a golf course north of sexsmith Alberta, so we're going there for the weekend for a birthday party, after that, heading to kelowna on Sunday, about 1000km south.Interested to see if the tires hold up. They're 6 years old but very little usage.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Parked just outside Valemount, BC

https://goo.gl/maps/2wVD4VG3LUs

Spent the night there amongst the semi's who shut their engines off since it was cool enough to not need A/C.

Got to Kelowna BC about 1pm, rested for the night and then went on a wine tour with the UK Director of nuclear energy. I didn't know him beforehand but his wife and him were really cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is the chassis I am using for my father and I's camping project. I have a travel trailer that is great, but can't really take it places like hard to get to lakes. It's almost finished and just needs a bed and deck winch installed. Basically it's going to take a tent trailer without wheels or suspension sitting on a skid, and drag it up onto the deck and bolt down. Once at camp, it can be slid off onto the ground. similar to a mini bed truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvduZ_wEyGA

• Locked thread